Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2014, 23:02   #1036
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 7,892
Thanked: 5,568 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I got in touch with both Tafe Access and Vinayak Skoda for a test-drive of the 1.8 TSI and they flatly denied me one, saying that Skoda has not provided a demo 1.8 TSI for test drives.

How can you sell a car without offering test-drives?
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 00:31   #1037
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,735
Thanked: 414 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I got in touch with both Tafe Access and Vinayak Skoda for a test-drive of the 1.8 TSI and they flatly denied me one, saying that Skoda has not provided a demo 1.8 TSI for test drives.

How can you sell a car without offering test-drives?
Even I couldn't get my hands in 1.8 TSI in gurgaon or bangalore. Since I went for diesel I didn't care. I known if I would have driven it I might have been tempted. So maybe this was a blessing in disguise. Anyways diesel makes 85% of their sales that's why the treatment.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 14:12   #1038
BHPian
 
scorpio_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

A friend of mine has booked an Octavia in Bangalore recently. This is the ‘official’ response on booking time he got:

1.4 TSI - 16 Weeks of max booking time
2.0 TDI - 20 Weeks of max booking time
1.8 TSI (Elegance) - 24 weeks of max booking time
He didn’t enquire about 1.8 TSI Ambition.

The dealership indicated that this is the official booking time that you have to sign up for when you book the vehicle and the actual period can be shorter. They asked for multiple / ranked preference for colours and mentioned that based on the colour preference(s) he might get an allocation earlier as there are also (high rate of?) cancellations (primarily due to wait periods). The allocations happen between 5th and 10th every month and the dealer will be able to deliver within 2-3 weeks once the allocation is confirmed.

Neither of the Bangalore dealers had a 1.8 TSI test drive car!

Meanwhile Mr. Sudhir Rao who is the MD / Chairman for Skoda India seems to have acknowledged the high wait period and cancellation rate (~30 %) for Octavia.
In this interview in Business Standard, he says that he is personally looking into every booking made for Octavia and “fixing the process personally”!
That sounds very interesting. But its not clear if he want to fix the issue with the wait period itself or just that there is high rate of cancellation due to lack of clarity in wait period.
Octavia did top the D1 segment sales chart for a period of 3 months after its launch (Oct – Dec 2013) where it shipped about 1000 units. But starting this year, the production rates are only about 50% of that capacity leading to high wait periods and eventually (high rate of) cancellations.
Many has suggested in this thread that the issue with Octavia production is not local to India but lack of kit allocation from the parent company. If this is what it is, it remains to be seen how influential Mr. Rao can be to convince his EU bosses about the importance of India as the second fastest growing Auto market, given that the launch of the new Octavia in China is imminent. If it is anything to do with the co-ordination within the India subsidiary, then let us hope that Skoda solves it fast enough and reduces this eternal wait for a well engineered car.
scorpio_fan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 21:39   #1039
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,721
Thanked: 3,240 Times
Default

^^
And with many dealers shutting their doors to Skoda is NOT a good sign. Mr. Sudhir Rao needs to personally look into this matter. My local Skoda dealer at Meerut M/s C&T Motors recently closed it's door on Skoda and shifted elsewhere.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 11:30   #1040
BHPian
 
shreyak_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 168
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Hey there!
This is my first post on team-bhp and i would like to begin it with my latest acquisition: Skoda Octavia 2.0 Elegance!
Got that beauty home yesterday and I am thoroughly enjoying my new ride. Coming from a Honda City ZX, Octavia is indeed a step ahead in every terms.
My query is regarding the automatic transmission. Since it is my first automatic, i would like to have some advice of fellow Bhpians regarding the use of the DSG DQ250. It would be really helpful if i can get some tips and advice regarding the use of this gearbox.
Regards,
Shreyak
shreyak_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 11:47   #1041
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hey there!

This is my first post on team-bhp and i would like to begin it with my latest acquisition: Skoda Octavia 2.0 Elegance! My query is regarding the automatic transmission. Since it is my first automatic, i would like to have some advice of fellow Bhpians regarding the use of the DSG DQ250. It would be really helpful if i can get some tips and advice regarding the use of this gearbox.

Regards,

Shreyak

Congrats Shreyak! You've got yourself, motoring bliss, this side of 25 lacs. There are no guidelines, but only few tips:

1) when stopping for over 30 seconds, push the lever in N mode, not all the way up to Park. Nuetral will help you save some fuel, and no real need to shift all the way up to P for 30-60 seconds.

2) when in N, you dont need to press the button to shift to D. Just press the brake, and pull the stick to D. Same works from R as well. When you reverse the car, and then put it in D, there is no need to press the button. However if you are in N and shift to R, you do need to press the button on the stick.

3) there is no need to press the button even for getting it in to S mode or Manual mode.

4) DQ 250 is basically a wet plate clutch system which means it can handle better torque ratings, at least up to 350nm. In case you are considering a remap.

5) while coasting, I used to shift in to N before stopping to save additional fuel, brought no problems on my car's gearbox (Laura 2.0 DSG)

6) in the run in period, try to keep revs below 2000 rpm. Once a week try the S mode but only to hold the engine in a rev range, not enthusiastically.

7) after the run in period, shift in S or manual anytime you get a chance, and go nuts

One last thing common to all Octavias, you dont need to hold the key all the time while you crank the engine, just twist and release. Works somewhat like a push start button.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 12:09   #1042
BHPian
 
shreyak_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 168
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Congrats Shreyak! You've got yourself, motoring bliss, this side of 25 lacs. There are no guidelines, but only few tips:

1) when stopping for over 30 seconds, push the lever in N mode, not all the way up to Park. Nuetral will help you save some fuel, and no real need to shift all the way up to P for 30-60 seconds.

2) when in N, you dont need to press the button to shift to D. Just press the brake, and pull the stick to D. Same works from R as well. When you reverse the car, and then put it in D, there is no need to press the button. However if you are in N and shift to R, you do need to press the button on the stick.

3) there is no need to press the button even for getting it in to S mode or Manual mode.

4) DQ 250 is basically a wet plate clutch system which means it can handle better torque ratings, at least up to 350nm. In case you are considering a remap.

5) while coasting, I used to shift in to N before stopping to save additional fuel, brought no problems on my car's gearbox (Laura 2.0 DSG)

6) in the run in period, try to keep revs below 2000 rpm. Once a week try the S mode but only to hold the engine in a rev range, not enthusiastically.

7) after the run in period, shift in S or manual anytime you get a chance, and go nuts

One last thing common to all Octavias, you dont need to hold the key all the time while you crank the engine, just twist and release. Works somewhat like a push start button.
Hi Adi,
Thank you so much for the help. This post of yours cleared all my doubts. Your ownership thread has been a great inspiration in my decision and buying process. Although, i am a bit late, i would like to congratulate you for the amazing TSI machine you got last year... It is indeed a cracker of an engine

I would also like to share a picture of my black beauty(pretty much same as yours adi ):
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-img_22661.jpg

An extra token of gratitude to you for the initial run-in advice... I'll try my best to control my foot on the gas pedal
Also can anybody please tell me where can i get the following in Delhi and at what price:
* the media-in cable for my infotainment system,
* 3D Kagu Mats for Octavia

Regards,
Shreyak
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 12:26   #1043
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,230 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

4) DQ 250 is basically a wet plate clutch system which means it can handle better torque ratings, at least up to 350nm. In case you are considering a remap.

5) while coasting, I used to shift in to N before stopping to save additional fuel, brought no problems on my car's gearbox (Laura 2.0 DSG)

6) in the run in period, try to keep revs below 2000 rpm. Once a week try the S mode but only to hold the engine in a rev range, not enthusiastically.
Hi Adi, some points of mine -

4) DQ250 can handle about 420nm of torque. And not 250 as you mention.

5) In modern engines, even if in gear, when no accelerator input is given 0 fuel is used. So it is as good as coasting. If you see the instant FE, when you lift your foot off the accel it should show --. So shifting to Neutral just means you will give up whatever little engine braking is present. Not needed at all.

6) 2000rpm is far too low. Infact modern engines hardly need a run in. The run in period is there more for other components like the suspension and brakes. Still it is considered a good practice to go easy on the engine in the beginning, and 3.5krpm should be the limit. 2000rpm is nuts.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 12:41   #1044
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,351
Thanked: 8,046 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I would also like to share a picture of my black beauty
Don’t forget to get rid of those green strips from the bonnet before it traps all the dirt and begins scratching the paint.

Many congrats! Drive safe.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 12:56   #1045
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Don’t forget to get rid of those green strips from the bonnet before it traps all the dirt and begins scratching the paint.

Many congrats! Drive safe.
I just don't get it why they put ribbons in the first place. I am buying the car, dealer is not gifting it to me


Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Hi Adi, some points of mine -

4) DQ250 can handle about 420nm of torque. And not 250 as you mention.

5) In modern engines, even if in gear, when no accelerator input is given 0 fuel is used. So it is as good as coasting. If you see the instant FE, when you lift your foot off the accel it should show --. So shifting to Neutral just means you will give up whatever little engine braking is present. Not needed at all.

6) 2000rpm is far too low. Infact modern engines hardly need a run in. The run in period is there more for other components like the suspension and brakes. Still it is considered a good practice to go easy on the engine in the beginning, and 3.5krpm should be the limit. 2000rpm is nuts.

I agree but I kept my TSI under 4k rpm just to be safe, and for that reason I suggested 2k for diesel as you can easily glide the car at 100 kph at under 2k rpm.

I am pretty sure its 350 nm torque rating for DQ250. 420 nm is for DQ350. The new DQ500 is good for 720 nm

Engine braking rarely exists in D mode. Putting in Neutral is a matter of convenience too for me. In my personal experience coasting in Neutral has resulted in better FE. TDI FE is always better so no matter, to extract FE from a TSI is a bit of a challenge personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hi Adi,
Thank you so much for the help. This post of yours cleared all my doubts. Your ownership thread has been a great inspiration in my decision and buying process. Although, i am a bit late, i would like to congratulate you for the amazing TSI machine you got last year... It is indeed a cracker of an engine

I would also like to share a picture of my black beauty(pretty much same as yours adi ):
Attachment 1258367

An extra token of gratitude to you for the initial run-in advice... I'll try my best to control my foot on the gas pedal
Also can anybody please tell me where can i get the following in Delhi and at what price:
* the media-in cable for my infotainment system,
* 3D Kagu Mats for Octavia

Regards,
Shreyak
Thanks Shreyak. Its been exactly 8 months since i have the TSI and its been good since. Just gave my car today for first service in fact at 15400 kms.
Unfortunately 3D mats for the Octy are yet not available in India.
Media in cable should be available at your dealer. I am using the one from my Vento, but since the slot is oddly placed, I stick to SD card mostly.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 7th July 2014 at 13:00.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 13:21   #1046
BHPian
 
shreyak_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 168
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Don’t forget to get rid of those green strips from the bonnet before it traps all the dirt and begins scratching the paint.

Many congrats! Drive safe.
Thanks Gannu, the ribbons have been removed already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Thanks Shreyak. Its been exactly 8 months since i have the TSI and its been good since. Just gave my car today for first service in fact at 15400 kms.
Thats great Adi! Wish you miles of trouble free ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Unfortunately 3D mats for the Octy are yet not available in India.
Media in cable should be available at your dealer. I am using the one from my Vento, but since the slot is oddly placed, I stick to SD card mostly.
Thats sad that those mats are not available here in India... Would you like to suggest any other good mats for the car?
shreyak_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 16:39   #1047
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,352
Thanked: 817 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post

In my personal experience coasting in Neutral has resulted in better FE.
No, can't be. At least, not in my Laura TSi.

Switch to instantaneous FE mode (in the original l/100km units) and watch the number as you coast in neutral. Now repeat the experiment by coasting in gear. When you coast in gear, instantaneous FE is 0 l/100km (injectors are switched off, no fuel supply, engine keeps turning over due to the drive shaft and gear which is connected). When you coast in neutral, ECU keeps the engine running with a certain minimum fuel supply (else it will just stop turning over as it's completed disconnected from gearbox/drive shaft).

0 l/100km is definitely better FE than <any positive number> l/100km . In fact, that's why I find this unit of measurement better than km/l. My Polo TSi came configured for km/l and it is unable to display "infinity" symbol. It is programmed to show a "hard-coded" 85 km/l when coasting with fuel cut-off...

Such is the power of zero

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 17:10   #1048
BHPian
 
joethomasv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: KL-44 , KA-12
Posts: 314
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Price of all variants went up by exactly ₹30,534 in Cochin.
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-skoda-octavia-prices-koda.jpeg

The Ambition Diesel A/T was ₹ 17,86,200 EX Showroom. It's now ₹ 18,16,734.

The Elegance Diesel was ₹ 19,79,578 and is ₹ 20,10,112 now.

The 1.8 TSI is now ₹18,87,978. Up from ₹ 18,87,978.

Last edited by joethomasv : 9th July 2014 at 17:19.
joethomasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 19:50   #1049
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Finally Got a copy of my extended warranty.

I am yet to receive the original one with the Annexures which i shall post as soon as I get my hands on it


Skoda Octavia : Official Review-screen-shot-20140709-7.46.34-pm.png
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 13:35   #1050
BHPian
 
shreyak_ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Meerut
Posts: 168
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Today, I was trying out the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System but somehow, didn't understand how we use it. Does it only store the required tyre pressure and check it later in case of some problem or does it display all the details of tyres on the infotainment screen?
shreyak_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:45.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks