Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2015, 11:25   #1321
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 2,093 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
I feel the 1.8TSI is an awesome choice. On the second day after I got it, I drove to Devanahalli and back. The 115Km round trip gave 15Kmpl with some reasonable traffic and sedate driving. I was very surprised at the number.
That 1.8 TSI is one special engine. If a car is offered with this engine option, my advice to buyers is to forget the other options and grab one as fast as you can. One would think that the 7 speed DSG has a big hand in those mileage figures. If that's the case the 1.2 TSI Polo should deliver much better mileage. But it doesn't. Could be DOHC Vs. SOHC??

I've got the Laura TSI, remapped, fatter tyres, stiffer dampers et all. But even then it never ceases to amaze me with the mileage it delivers. 16, 17 kmpl is easily achievable with a light foot. Mileage rarely falls below 10 kmpl even with a heavy foot on the accelerator.

Similar traffic pattern, same driver, same driving style, petrol from the same bunk etc.. yields almost the same mileage or maybe just marginally more in my Polo GT TSI as my modded Laura!!
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 10:52   #1322
Senior - BHPian
 
merve_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Is the vehicle inspection at 6 months mandatory for Skoda/VW cars. I checked the next service due in the Central info-entertainment system and that only shows the oil change service due at 15k kms/1 year and another vehicle inspection a year later.

My car has not run many kms at all
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 11:31   #1323
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Puducherry
Posts: 213
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Is the vehicle inspection at 6 months mandatory for Skoda/VW cars. I checked the next service due in the Central info-entertainment system and that only shows the oil change service due at 15k kms/1 year and another vehicle inspection a year later.

My car has not run many kms at all
My advice go in for the inspection because if you happen to miss it they tend to say warranty is void. Generally in the inspection service they just wash the car and check fluid levels but I would advice you not to risk your warranty
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 11:35   #1324
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 781
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
Is the vehicle inspection at 6 months mandatory for Skoda/VW cars. I checked the next service due in the Central info-entertainment system and that only shows the oil change service due at 15k kms/1 year and another vehicle inspection a year later.

My car has not run many kms at all
It doesn't cost for the first inspection so get it done. All they'll do is open the bonnet, close it, take a small test drive, clean the car and hand it back within 2-3 hrs. So might as well get it done if the dealer is hassle free.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 16:26   #1325
BHPian
 
rugsrags's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 144
Thanked: 70 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It doesn't cost for the first inspection so get it done. All they'll do is open the bonnet, close it, take a small test drive, clean the car and hand it back within 2-3 hrs. So might as well get it done if the dealer is hassle free.

I had a different experience though. They topped up on oil and windshield washer fluid and the total bill was around 1.1k which is not all bad.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 03:44   #1326
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 765
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Skoda Octavia : Official Review

I've just been wondering onething. I believe most of the Octavia owners might choose the diesel over petrol.

While buying the diesel one compromises with the rear suspension.

Is it possible to upgrade the suspension to multilink which is available with the 1.8 petrol?

Considering it's the mqb platform - it should be possible without any significant mods - right?
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 07:12   #1327
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Puducherry
Posts: 213
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I've just been wondering onething. I believe most of the Octavia owners might choose the diesel over petrol.

While buying the diesel one compromises with the rear suspension.

Is it possible to upgrade the suspension to multilink which is available with the 1.8 petrol?

Considering it's the mqb platform - it should be possible without any significant mods - right?
One can always opt for after market suspension like bilstein. But then warranty becomes an issue.
zombiedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 09:39   #1328
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,786
Thanked: 16,928 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Is it possible to upgrade the suspension to multilink which is available with the 1.8 petrol?

Considering it's the mqb platform - it should be possible without any significant mods - right?
No it is not possible to do this. It's way too complex a modification and will affect the ESP as well as brakes. The mounting points need to be checked as well as exhaust design.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 11:04   #1329
Senior - BHPian
 
merve_extreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,360
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I've just been wondering onething. I believe most of the Octavia owners might choose the diesel over petrol.

While buying the diesel one compromises with the rear suspension.

Is it possible to upgrade the suspension to multilink which is available with the 1.8 petrol?

Considering it's the mqb platform - it should be possible without any significant mods - right?
Something I thought about too. But then other than being ridiculously noisy, the suspension is not that bad, rides and soaks bumps well; aftermarket dampers and springs could make it slightly better and maybe get rid of that drumming noise
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 15:39   #1330
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

The fuel consumption of Octavia is much better than Jetta of same engine variants.

For ex. for Diesel Manual its 20.6 and for AT its 19.3 in case of Octavia

Whereas in Jetta its 19.33 in Manual and 16.96 for AT.

Even if there is weight difference in both, a difference of 2.3kmpl for Manual is too much. Is weight only the reason?
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 17:28   #1331
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,029
Thanked: 1,614 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
The fuel consumption of Octavia is much better than Jetta of same engine variants.

For ex. for Diesel Manual its 20.6 and for AT its 19.3 in case of Octavia

Whereas in Jetta its 19.33 in Manual and 16.96 for AT.

Even if there is weight difference in both, a difference of 2.3kmpl for Manual is too much. Is weight only the reason?
It is not just the weight of the car. It also has to do with the tuning of the engine. In Jetta, the torque of 320Nm is available from 1750 to 2500RPM, whereas in Octavia, it is available from 1750 to 3000RMP. Also, for the same engine, Jetta is rated at 140PS whereas the Octavia is rated at 143PS. I think this also contributes to the better fuel economy.
graaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 09:52   #1332
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 765
Thanked: 205 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No it is not possible to do this. It's way too complex a modification and will affect the ESP as well as brakes. The mounting points need to be checked as well as exhaust design.

I'm a noob here. So just trying to understand things better.

I believe the mqb platform means that the same chassis is being used across the variants which means the mounting points would be the same.

ESP would indeed be effected - but nothing a small tuning can't help.

No clue how the brakes be effected as I think they are the same for both 1.8tsi and 2.0tdi

Exhaust might be a problem - but why would the mounting points and layout be different? Maybe the pipe's size is different - but basic layout would be same - no?
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 10:12   #1333
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,786
Thanked: 16,928 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I'm a noob here. So just trying to understand things better.

I believe the mqb platform means that the same chassis is being used across the variants which means the mounting points would be the same.
MQB means it's modular not same chasis. Basically only the front section is standardized and uniform whereas they can change any other section just like adding different Lego pieces together.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-look-...el-drive-cars/

If you see the photos in the review of the 2 suspension units, the multi link needs a central mount but there is no central mounting point in the car with torsion beam.

Quote:
ESP would indeed be effected - but nothing a small tuning can't help.
ESP is dependant on the ECU or BCM (body control module). Unless both the 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI share the same BCM with the same sensors mounted in same points of chasis, you cannot tune the BCM to work.

Quote:
No clue how the brakes be effected as I think they are the same for both 1.8tsi and 2.0tdi
It's a new axle at the back. Axle is where the brake system is mounted on. You have to check if both are same. They could be different considering power output is different for both cars and then again what about brake bias?

Quote:
Exhaust might be a problem - but why would the mounting points and layout be different? Maybe the pipe's size is different - but basic layout would be same - no?
As I mentioned this can be different as the MQB is like a plug and play Lego kit. MQB is used for hatchbacks, sedan, now MPV and compact SUV.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 13:31   #1334
BHPian
 
Haren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 52
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Skoda MirrorLink

Please take a look at this link.

http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/models/...a/connectivity

The new Fabia allows some certified smartphone apps to directly display on the Bolero infotainment screen. This seems to me like a firmware update that could possibly make it into the current Octavia systems too. I wish they do it soon :-)
Haren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 17:14   #1335
BHPian
 
samyakmodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 765
Thanked: 205 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
MQB means it's modular not same chasis. Basically only the front section is standardized and uniform whereas they can change any other section just like adding different Lego pieces together.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/a-look-...el-drive-cars/

If you see the photos in the review of the 2 suspension units, the multi link needs a central mount but there is no central mounting point in the car with torsion beam.



ESP is dependant on the ECU or BCM (body control module). Unless both the 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI share the same BCM with the same sensors mounted in same points of chasis, you cannot tune the BCM to work.



It's a new axle at the back. Axle is where the brake system is mounted on. You have to check if both are same. They could be different considering power output is different for both cars and then again what about brake bias?



As I mentioned this can be different as the MQB is like a plug and play Lego kit. MQB is used for hatchbacks, sedan, now MPV and compact SUV.
thanks buddy

this clarifies a lot of things

apparently world over they are offering torsion beam setup with the 2.0 TDI

also they have been pointing towards weight as one of the reasons (cutting down the weight) along with the cost
samyakmodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks