Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 00:25   #1426
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Also you can notice that the shape of the light tray which is to be inserted is completely different in both the lights. How could I miss this while researching before ordering the lights from the dealer?!

In Yeti's case too the LED tray shape is different. But fortunately both the LED and non LED tail lights come with 6 pin connectors which makes it plug and play for me. Only need to adapt it by VCDS.

Changing the connector is actually not a big job. If you could source the connector, it is a 10 min job to swap terminals from the old connector to new one. No need of cutting wires at all and it is a neat job. But you need the pin assignment for it. Skoda workshop manual would have it. Either the Skoda guys could help you or you could purchase it online to get the pin assignments, I mean the manual.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 08:28   #1427
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
In Yeti's case too the LED tray shape is different. But fortunately both the LED and non LED tail lights come with 6 pin connectors which makes it plug and play for me. Only need to adapt it by VCDS.

But if the shape of the tray is different with different slots for bulbs, then we need to source the tray too right? Because the LED unit from the Skoda factory arrived without the tray and dealer did not have a clue about the possible way to order a set for me. I think, if we can get the tray, the first small white cable will plug in to the tray, and the tray connector and current cable in the car will be a perfect match! Need someone with LED units in newer Octavias to open up the tail lights and check for me. Anyone. Willing to do so? Haren? Rutvij?

The manual explains how to open the tail lamp. It's a two minute job, and a bit of pulling. I would want to see what type of connector is the tail light connected to? The connector would be a black connector with one wire diverted to the boot light as well. That, and the slot in the tail light itself, will give me an idea how to go about with it.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 12:38   #1428
Mtv
BHPian
 
Mtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 82
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

My 2013 Octavia came with the flat sounding Toyota-like horn and I'm looking to change it to the signature Skoda horn. I'm aware that the 2014 model Octavia comes with the old horn (you know which one I'm talking about).

Has anybody made the conversion? Will it be a plug and play fix or will it interfere with the car's electronic functions?

I'll be tremendously thankful if someone can answer me
Mtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2015, 22:38   #1429
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 8,025 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Vagtune has retrofitted the RS kit on a Race Blue Octavia. Looks smashing!

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-10377151_731929336927257_2597559184797882030_n-1.jpg

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-10404489_731929323593925_5169217703504922105_n.jpg

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-10592825_731929273593930_1289701897390089106_n.jpg

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-11015001_731929280260596_8636871630610965214_n.jpg

Source: Vagtune FB page
Gannu_1 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:28   #1430
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
But if the shape of the tray is different with different slots for bulbs, then we need to source the tray too right? Because the LED unit from the Skoda factory arrived without the tray and dealer did not have a clue about the possible way to order a set for me. I think, if we can get the tray, the first small white cable will plug in to the tray, and the tray connector and current cable in the car will be a perfect match!
Since you faced this problem, I got my LED tail lamps checked. Luckily that came with the tray and has 6 pin connector. I was a little worried when you said yours came without the tray. But mine came with it. It is plug n play - Confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Vagtune has retrofitted the RS kit on a Race Blue Octavia. Looks smashing!
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-10256068_731929386927252_4834175411839099434_n.jpg

Everything except the wheel, since he is using 245 section rubbers. I had the same 17"x7J Zenith VRS wheels on Yeti earlier with 245 sections, but that is oversize for this wheel as it is only 7J. For 7J, the ideal sizing is 205-215 and max. 225. Anything beyond it actually doesn't show its size on a 7J. Even 245 kinda looks like 225. That is why I changed this wheel for wider section alloys. This wheel is great, just not good for 245 sections that's all. For this wheel, 225 is better.

VRS look would have been complete with this OE VRS wheel. Killer of a wheel!
Skoda Octavia : Official Review-10002701_10202039334010508_518310570_n-3.jpg

Image source: Vagtune FB page and Google Images.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 23rd February 2015 at 08:42. Reason: Typo.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:57   #1431
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Since you faced this problem, I got my LED tail lamps checked. Luckily that came with the tray and has 6 pin connector. I was a little worried when you said yours came without the tray. But mine came with it. It is plug n play - Confirmed.
Where did you source the lights from? May be I can ask the dealer here to order the full set: tray + light housing. What about adaptation? Do we have to adapt it via VCDS or it won't throw any error if you're already on a highline BCM?
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:12   #1432
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Where did you source the lights from? May be I can ask the dealer here to order the full set: tray + light housing. What about adaptation? Do we have to adapt it via VCDS or it won't throw any error if you're already on a highline BCM?

I sourced it from Superskoda. Came as a full set with the tray. Highline BCM also would require VCDS adaptation as per my guess. Unless you tell the BCM that you have installed LED tail lamps, it could trigger a filament bulb failure warning. AFAIK BCM wouldn't detect LED units and adapt on its own. Supposed to be done manually.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:51   #1433
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 2,090 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Everything except the wheel, since he is using 245 section rubbers
And the beige interiors!

That 'killer of a wheel' looks like 19" . Don't think it'll survive on our roads, but yeah, it looks delicious.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:07   #1434
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
And the beige interiors!



That 'killer of a wheel' looks like 19" . Don't think it'll survive on our roads, but yeah, it looks delicious.

Oh yeah, that is true. But among the new wheels there are other good patterns too in smaller size like Hawk in 17" and Golus & Neptune in 18". But max would be 7.5J which is good for max 235, which is not a bad thing actually.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 09:07   #1435
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I sourced it from Superskoda. Came as a full set with the tray. Highline BCM also would require VCDS adaptation as per my guess. Unless you tell the BCM that you have installed LED tail lamps, it could trigger a filament bulb failure warning. AFAIK BCM wouldn't detect LED units and adapt on its own. Supposed to be done manually.

I asked Petr at superskoda, and he told me that the lights come without the bulb tray for the Octavia. Hence not plug and play. Project is almost about dead, because I don't get time to visit the dealer often and haggle with them to order the correct parts for me. May be we can change the bulbs in the existing light? And then adapt via VCDS? On that note, where in VCDS can I find the tail light long code?
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 14:36   #1436
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I asked Petr at superskoda, and he told me that the lights come without the bulb tray for the Octavia. Hence not plug and play. Project is almost about dead, because I don't get time to visit the dealer often and haggle with them to order the correct parts for me. May be we can change the bulbs in the existing light? And then adapt via VCDS? On that note, where in VCDS can I find the tail light long code?
I wonder why I don't get notifications when you quote me. I get rest all notifications from the forum and also when others quote me. Happened earlier when you quoted me too that I did not get notified. Just saw your post.

That is unfortunate that Octy's LED tail lamp comes without the tray. I don't think swapping is an option with LED light bar inside. Since this is a spare part of one of their production models sold in India, it should be there in their system already. Just need to identify the part no. But I know it isn't as easy as it sounds, as I have experience with Skoda A.S.S. before where I had to hunt the part no. myself for them to place order (part of the car they have been selling and servicing all these years). Till I found it for them, all I heard from the parts shop guys were "We cant find the part no."

Coding has to be done in the CECM (09-Cent. Elect.) module. Just go through the long coding helper and select the option which says like LED tail lamp installed or something which sounds similar. You will understand when you see it. Just a matter of selecting it and saving that code.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 24th February 2015 at 14:44. Reason: Added info.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 15:26   #1437
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 8,025 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Need someone with LED units in newer Octavias to open up the tail lights and check for me. Anyone. Willing to do so? Haren? Rutvij?
Found these 2 images of the rear of the LED tail lamp from an Aliexpress link, in case you are still eyeing for these.

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-led1.png

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-led2.png

This is the image without the bulb tray:

Name:  LED3.PNG
Views: 1461
Size:  417.5 KB

Part nos. of the tail lights are 5E5945111A (left) and 5E5945112A (right).

Most online retailers are selling the LED tail lights without the bulb tray. Possible that it could be replaced from the non-LED one.

EDIT:

Bulb trays are different:

Skoda Octavia : Official Review-55d1f6cs960.jpg

Part numbers of the bulb trays are 5E5945257A + 5E5945258A.

Sources:

1. http://www.drive2.ru/l/4808944/

2. http://www.drive2.ru/l/3974883/

TLDR: You need new bulb trays as well.

*phew*

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th February 2015 at 15:56.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 19:20   #1438
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 764 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Bulb trays are different:


Part numbers of the bulb trays are 5E5945257A + 5E5945258A.
You are a saviour! Thank you so much for the effort to find me the correct part numbers. The site does not show the photo of the product so I am a bit hesitant. But now that I have the part numbers, I can ask Skoda to order it for me! Project mode: Restart and in-progress again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Coding has to be done in the CECM (09-Cent. Elect.) module. Just go through the long coding helper and select the option which says like LED tail lamp installed or something which sounds similar. You will understand when you see it. Just a matter of selecting it and saving that code.
No with Gannu's help, the project will take off again. Yea I guess I will find it in the Cen. Elec. Module once i plug it in, and see where it goes from there. You finished the LED project for the Yeti yet?
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 19:30   #1439
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 8,025 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You are a saviour! Thank you so much for the effort to find me the correct part numbers. The site does not show the photo of the product so I am a bit hesitant. But now that I have the part numbers, I can ask Skoda to order it for me! Project mode: Restart and in-progress again.



No with Gannu's help, the project will take off again. Yea I guess I will find it in the Cen. Elec. Module once i plug it in, and see where it goes from there. You finished the LED project for the Yeti yet?
Those Russian websites have tonnes of information hidden inside and does not show up on Google since they post entirely in Russian language. I ended up finding 2 simple mods for the Polo and will be attempting them soon. And learnt some Russian keywords as well.

And they haven't done any VCDS modifications while attempting the tail lights swap so the resistance part is taken care of. It is plug-n-play.

I wish I was near Ahmedabad. Could have helped you with the swap. Very very easy!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th February 2015 at 19:32.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 19:44   #1440
BHPian
 
ajaypjayaraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: KL 11
Posts: 909
Thanked: 979 Times
Default Re: Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
You are a saviour! Thank you so much for the effort to find me the correct part numbers. The site does not show the photo of the product so I am a bit hesitant. But now that I have the part numbers, I can ask Skoda to order it for me! Project mode: Restart and in-progress again.

No with Gannu's help, the project will take off again. Yea I guess I will find it in the Cen. Elec. Module once i plug it in, and see where it goes from there. You finished the LED project for the Yeti yet?
Thanks to Gannu for doing the homework for you! I am not in India right now. Just in the process of collecting stuff for my next vacation retrofit projects. It is kinda addictive I must say! LED tail lamps are already shipped and with my cousin. Will collect it from him when I am going back home, which would be couple of months later. Other stuff being researched/ordered/shipped, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Those Russian websites have tonnes of information hidden inside and does not show up on Google since they post entirely in Russian language.
True. I dug up a lot of valuable info. too from mostly Russian sites which helped me during retrofits. Thanks to Google translation!

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 24th February 2015 at 20:07.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Skoda Rapid 1.5L DSG : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 224 24th October 2016 15:52
Driven: 2nd-gen Skoda Superb (2014) moralfibre Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 84 9th October 2016 12:44
Beauty of the Beast Skoda Octavia RS - 57000 km review ajmat Long-Term Ownership Reviews 201 14th April 2016 11:57
From a Skoda Octavia to a Skoda Rapid RedRapid Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 28 17th March 2015 11:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks