Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2014, 09:07   #166
BHPian
 
Pferdestarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 403
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Polo (at least mine) has got pathetic headlights. Whether others are able see the Polo during daytime is important, no doubt, but it's more important that the Polo is able to see others during night.
Yes, I am aware of the poor illumination issue with polo headlights. Why don't you go for an aftermarket projector installation? Projectors with HID lamps installed by a professional grade mods expert shall address your grumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I have nothing against DRLs or any other ornaments. But I just can't stand the cheap imitation jewellery like that on the i20

i20 brought up this impression about DRLs in our market.
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 10:13   #167
BHPian
 
etchemkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 151
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

I, for one, have been very happy with my Polo's headlight after upgrading to 100/90 Osram bulbs with an Orange relay. Total cost Rs. 1200 only.
etchemkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 11:05   #168
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,425
Thanked: 938 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Single barrel can only reduce cost!!
Even i think so. BTW, that Palio Stile - was it double barrel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Yes, I am aware of the poor illumination issue with polo headlights. Why don't you go for an aftermarket projector installation? Projectors with HID lamps installed by a professional grade mods expert shall address your grumble.
I am looking for it. Many aftermarket projectors are unscientifically designed and don't do a good job, so waiting for a real good review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
I, for one, have been very happy with my Polo's headlight after upgrading to 100/90 Osram bulbs with an Orange relay. Total cost Rs. 1200 only.
100/90 will blind the oncoming traffic which I won't like to do. They will also darken the reflectors I think.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 12:17   #169
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,801
Thanked: 9,459 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
100/90 Osram bulbs
Woah!

I hope you are aware that the usage of these bulbs are restricted to off-roads and not on public roads? The cops can pull you over and fine you if they notice the distinctive increased light output.

You can potentially blind the oncoming traffic during high beams as well! Not advisable.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 12:21   #170
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,737
Thanked: 6,297 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

I am looking for it. Many aftermarket projectors are unscientifically designed and don't do a good job, so waiting for a real good review.
He means something like a retro fit kit from www.theretrofitsource.com and not the chinese projectors available with your local accessories shop.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:25   #171
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,425
Thanked: 938 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

@Gannu shared with me the details of another vendor selling OEM Polo GTI headlamps but they are exorbitantly priced (>1L). Let's see how good these facelifted Polo headlights are.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 17:25   #172
BHPian
 
etchemkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 151
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Even i think so. BTW, that Palio Stile - was it double barrel?
Yes, the Stile and the old Palio (ex-owner myself) both had double-barrel lamps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
100/90 will blind the oncoming traffic which I won't like to do. They will also darken the reflectors I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Woah!

I hope you are aware that the usage of these bulbs are restricted to off-roads and not on public roads? The cops can pull you over and fine you if they notice the distinctive increased light output.

You can potentially blind the oncoming traffic during high beams as well! Not advisable.
It all boils down to how you choose to use the high-beam. I make it a point not to drive on high-beam when I see traffic in the opposite direction. Even on dark roads/highways, when I have to drive on high-beam, as soon as there is a vehicle on the opposite side of the road, I immediately switch back to low-beam. It's a choice - how courteous you are to others on the road. I am

I have had 100/90 bulbs on all my cars (Palio - 5 years, SX4 - 3 years) and have never faced any reflector blackening issues in either cars.

Last edited by etchemkay : 14th February 2014 at 17:27.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 19:18   #173
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,425
Thanked: 938 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchemkay View Post
Yes, the Stile and the old Palio (ex-owner myself) both had double-barrel lamps.
...
when I have to drive on high-beam, as soon as there is a vehicle on the opposite side of the road, I immediately switch back to low-beam. It's a choice - how courteous you are to others on the road. I am
...
I have had 100/90 bulbs on all my cars (Palio - 5 years, SX4 - 3 years) and have never faced any reflector blackening issues in either cars.
OK, thanks for confirming about the Palio headlamps. Lovely car that Palio.
Good to know that you switch to low beams whenever required and also the fact that 100/90 didn't burn the reflectors.

Now assuming the new Polo headlamps will be better, need to check if they will be compatible with current GT (wiring, fitting, etc). Does Polo have a "blown bulb/fuse" warning lamp like Laura?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 19:25   #174
BHPian
 
robimahanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BLR/GAU
Posts: 611
Thanked: 1,575 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
OK, thanks for confirming about the Palio headlamps. Lovely car that Palio.
Good to know that you switch to low beams whenever required and also the fact that 100/90 didn't burn the reflectors.

Now assuming the new Polo headlamps will be better, need to check if they will be compatible with current GT (wiring, fitting, etc). Does Polo have a "blown bulb/fuse" warning lamp like Laura?

Anand you can get the double barrel headlamps installed in your Polo for around 20-25K. The same ones that come with the European Polo. I am not sure how much of an improvement output wise it will be though. PM me for vendor details.
robimahanta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 14:28   #175
BHPian
 
SKODA_RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 33
Thanked: Once
Talking Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

hello everyone,
on 12th Feb we bought the VW Polo GT Tdi.
Its white and currently its in the run-in period.
It is basically bought for city use 80% and highway use 20%.
Great Built quality. Also upgraded the stock tyres to 195/60R15 Yokohoma dbV550. Havent been on the highway but comfort has increased a bit. Will try to post a ownership thread soon.
SKODA_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 18:49   #176
BHPian
 
Pferdestarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 403
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKODA_RS View Post
On 12th Feb we bought the VW Polo GT Tdi.
Its white and currently its in the run-in period.
Congrats on your new acquisition. GT TDI is the pick of the day among diesel hatchbacks. I would have bought one by now, if there were no news about the facelift. I am waiting eagerly for the facelift of polo to arrive on our shores. Ride like the king with your GT TDI
Pferdestarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 18:57   #177
BHPian
 
etchemkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 151
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKODA_RS View Post
hello everyone,
on 12th Feb we bought the VW Polo GT Tdi.
Its white and currently its in the run-in period.
It is basically bought for city use 80% and highway use 20%.
Great Built quality. Also upgraded the stock tyres to 195/60R15 Yokohoma dbV550. Havent been on the highway but comfort has increased a bit. Will try to post a ownership thread soon.
Congratulations SKODA_RS! That makes yours at least the 4th GT TDi on TBHP from Pune - radek, rejoycjohn, you and me. The rest of us were discussing doing a GT TDi meet sometime. Hope you can make it too, whenever it gets planned.

By the way, any other GT TDi owners in Pune?
etchemkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 13:57   #178
BHPian
 
nakul0888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: kochi
Posts: 347
Thanked: 804 Times
Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Hey guys, I have been checking on our petrol counterpart's thread. Seems most of them are getting annoying rattling issues. Anybody here got anything similar to report?
nakul0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 15:59   #179
BHPian
 
etchemkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 151
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Hey guys, I have been checking on our petrol counterpart's thread. Seems most of them are getting annoying rattling issues. Anybody here got anything similar to report?
Not yet .. at least I don't think so. Besides, I doubt if one could listen to such minor rattles over the significant clatter of the 1.6 TDi engine.
etchemkay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 17:28   #180
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 459
Thanked: 785 Times
Default

I was checking on the impact of excise rate revisions here in Chennai. Seems like most dealers are not aware of new prices yet. I was quoted on road price of 9.65 Lacs minus a 10 K discount. They will get to know how much the reduction on account of excise cuts is only next week. Anyone got any updates on the revised price of GT TDI in other cities?
84.monsoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review mobike008 Official New Car Reviews 4852 20th October 2017 15:45


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks