Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 10th August 2015, 09:59   #331
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6L GT TDI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Test drive the Rapid or Vento TDI dsg and see whether it meets your needs. Unless you are specifically looking for a small hatch, these are good options.
I did TD Rapid. Trying to sort out some priorities and struggling to make some decision whether that extra boot is worth 4L.
Thanks.
BlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2015, 16:55   #332
BHPian

Looks like the VW's emissions cheating software is present in our cars too

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/bu...ndal.html?_r=0
Immix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 16:31   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
Looks like the VW's emissions cheating software is present in our cars too

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/bu...ndal.html?_r=0
Hello GT TDI 1.6 owners, It has been a great experience for me with this powerful beast till date. My car has clocked 34k so far.
But when it was approaching second service interval (appr around 28k), I started noticing a strong emission smell as soon as I start the vehicle which was never observed before. Since then, every time I open the door\windows I can clearly smell it which is too strong. During my second service interval, I had complained about this to the service advisor and he claimed it is quite common for diesel vehicles and to satisfy me he turned ON a GT TDI 1.5 vehicle which was brought for service and kept idle for long time but unfortunately haven't noticed that strong smell from it.
What do you say guys? Is our engine also emitting such horrible emission levels??
keeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 17:07   #334
BHPian

Volkswagen directs dealers not to sell popular hatchback Polo in India
"... VW clarified that it had nothing to do with the recent controversy surrounding VW over a software that was capable of cheating emission tests. A VW official said the EA189 engine which is installed in a large number of Volkswagen vehicles in the country along with the software that has caused so much problem for the European giant in developed markets is not a reason for the directive to the dealers."
epuneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016, 19:24   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

I am now the proud owner of a 2014 1.6 GT TDI. And yes, even with global doubts about VW and the environment, I am certainly still proud.

For what it's worth, the previous owner had a recent PUC certificate, which he gave me. I don't know how accurate Indian emissions testing is, but it is probably very rough and ready compared to national-lab testing of engines, and probably more like real life.

The 1.6 GT TDI remains a great car to drive. It's a delight!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 01:04   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the nicest things about this car is the leather steering wheel. It is just the right texture and just the right firmness.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 01:12   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One of the nicest things about this car is the leather steering wheel. It is just the right texture and just the right firmness.

Leather steering wheel in my jetta too is amazing, And was one of the first thing i loved in the car when i had sat for a test drive, Indeed the texture and the feel is amazing.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 06:25   #338
BHPian

Quote:

Should I add the right thickness too. However after driving for sometime and then touching the metal part of the door, I do get a decent static discharge. I can actually see the spark and get a reasonable jolt too. Have you guys experienced that?

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 10:25   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post

I can actually see the spark and get a reasonable jolt too. Have you guys experienced that?
Woah Shibu, you actually see sparks flying??

I guess its got more to do with that 1.6 TDI engine, thats too hot to Hand(le)!!

Jokes apart, I have a feeling its got more to do with the seat upholstery or probably your clothes. I have never experienced it in my GT for 2 years now and my seat covers are OEM still.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 13:42   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Should I add the right thickness too. However after driving for sometime and then touching the metal part of the door, I do get a decent static discharge. I can actually see the spark and get a reasonable jolt too. Have you guys experienced that?
No, but years ago I used to often get static shocks when standing on the road and reaching out to open car doors. It doesn't happen here (in Chennai. Maybe humidity helps prevent it).

In the end, I found an answer: I got in the habit of touching the car door with the flat of my hand. That dissipates the charge over a bigger area and you don't feel the shock.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2016, 14:39   #341
BHPian

Quote:
No, but years ago I used to often get static shocks when standing on the road and reaching out to open car doors. It doesn't happen here (in Chennai. Maybe humidity helps prevent it).

In the end, I found an answer: I got in the habit of touching the car door with the flat of my hand. That dissipates the charge over a bigger area and you don't feel the shock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah Shibu, you actually see sparks flying??

I guess its got more to do with that 1.6 TDI engine, thats too hot to Hand(le)!!

Jokes apart, I have a feeling its got more to do with the seat upholstery or probably your clothes. I have never experienced it in my GT for 2 years now and my seat covers are OEM still.
Upholstery and personal dressing are still stock.

Has it got more to do with the way you open your car door compared to me? I have this habit to touching the upper edge of the door below the window line while opening and closing which is when I most experience it. Over the course of ownership, I have shifted to using the B pillar for the same which may explain the reduced incidence.

However I still think that the leather wrapping is what generates the static. I cannot find another suitable explanation. The steering wrap is the only difference between the Swift and the Polo.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 31st May 2016 at 14:44.
Old 31st May 2016, 16:56   #342
BHPian

Quote:
I do get a decent static discharge. I can actually see the spark and get a reasonable jolt too. Have you guys experienced that?
Hi shibujp, have you installed any Headlamp relay wiring kits or any electrical modifications in your car? This used to happen in my GT after installing relay wiring.
keeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 06:29   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post
Hi shibujp, have you installed any Headlamp relay wiring kits or any electrical modifications in your car? This used to happen in my GT after installing relay wiring.
Nope, I do not have any electrical modifications on my car.

Shibu.
Old 1st June 2016, 09:39   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeru View Post

Hi shibujp, have you installed any Headlamp relay wiring kits or any electrical modifications in your car?
Quote:

Nope, I do not have any electrical modifications on my car.
I have had 90/100 relay installed on my GT for over a year now and also have swapped the HU to a 7" touch screen, and I have never had this static issue.

I still have a strong feeling that the main culprit here could be the clothes worn or something to do with the footwear/floor mats.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 1st June 2016 at 09:41.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 13:50   #345
BHPian

Great topic. I am a regular target for this shock treatment. I get it from all my cars, Alto, Verna and Polo. I get "shocked" only when I touch the door metal parts (ie the outer part/ side of doors), which mostly happens when closing the door, as while opening, I touch only the plastic handle. The solution I found is that I don't get any shock if I close the door by pushing the glass window. And I have been using this method for the last 3 years in Bangalore. It never used to happen in Trivandrum, as Thad told, may be it is linked to humidity of the place.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote