Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2014, 07:33   #286
BHPian
 
geotracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 234
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A couple of Honda City diesel's arrived in Ranchi at the dealer stockyard today. My SP called me up and invited me to check the car. Both the cars were white, one was a SV spec and another was a S spec car.

I had booked a VX CVT, but still didn't mind checking out the diesel SV. The car looks good, interiors are decent, space and comfort is also good, loved the rear. However, it didn't just click for me. Maybe I was expecting something better, maybe it was so because I just test-drove a Terrano and a Duster before checking out the City so I preferred a SUV stance. Not exactly sure why I didn't like the car.

Btw here are some pics that I took. Sorry for the crappy quality of the images.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Gives a good idea.

I think many are preferring the SUV stance these days, since it is a new segment in India. Plus since one sits slightly higher in an small SUV, the view maybe slightly better. Not to mention the diesel torque that the Duster & Terrano gives.

I too had taken a test drive of a Duster a few months back. The Duster was good in terms of torque, but the interior I felt was average. The clutch being diesel felt different. In all we liked the Duster's drive but nothing exceptional of the interior quality of plastic, HU, speedometer lights etc. In contrast, the Honda City, I feel has a slightly premium feel. Of course one sits low in it, being a sedan. But the interiors and the drive quality of a Honda is different, a lot smoother and noiseless. So really hard to compare these 2 segments.

Having said this, if we trade in our second car in future I will look at the Duster or Terrano as a replacement just to have a second vehicle of a different segment.

Let us know what you finally decide and reasons for the same.
geotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 07:43   #287
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Surat
Posts: 5
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalchaudhary View Post
Welcome to TBHP sagarrungta

Certainly GTO's reviews and the entire collection of informative threads drew me also towards TBHP.

Hope you get timely delivery of the car, waiting for your report as soon as you take the delivery of the car, BTW isn't March a bit late or the deliveries will begin from march only for all the cities ?

No, from what i hear from the dealer and as said by other team bhpian's, the deliveries for diesel Honda City models will start as soon as the car is launched i.e on the 7th jan so may be you can expect deliveries of diesel models to start by mid-Jan but the deliveries for all petrol models (with cvt and manual transmissions), will start by March.
sagarrungta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 09:29   #288
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 179
Thanked: 79 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

The 'exhaust fan' design alloys seems to be missing in the pictures. Has it been short-circuited?
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 09:32   #289
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 946
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
The 'exhaust fan' design alloys seems to be missing in the pictures. Has it been short-circuited?
Unfortunately not. These are the lower spec versions with wheel caps.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 09:53   #290
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 476
Thanked: 450 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A couple of Honda City diesel's arrived in Ranchi at the dealer stockyard today. My SP called me up and invited me to check the car. Both the cars were white, one was a SV spec and another was a S spec car.
even the antennas are different on the two specs. Looks like the SV variant has a shark fin antenna and the S variant has the normal one. Not sure why Honda would resort to such minute differences. Probably cost the same in the numbers game to stick to one type of antenna.
Arjun Reddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 11:04   #291
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

First off! GREAT REVIEW , HATS OFF!

Comprehensive as it was, I can say that most people will now have a tough time trying to figure out if its a amaze or a verna or the new honda on the road from a mere distance of 50mtrs. That I think should not be the case when launching a new version of a best seller with a experimental diesel engine. Granted the car front looks very stylish but it still feel as though the sidelines are stolen and the back end is borrowed. They could have done something to give the care a more macho look rather than a tender one.

That being said a good diesel engine in the city with non-existenet turbo lag is all you can really as for in a sedan with such pricing. The comfort of the ride is good and the seating space is impressive too. But for my money I would buy it anyday simply because its HONDA!
Amol Mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 18:08   #292
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 946
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I guess it looks that way due to angle of pic and low light.
Also, those who have seen /about to check the demo car, please check if Honda added panel inside boot and also about the door panel moving when windows are moved down.

Mate the Honda H is still chrome in the dim lighting so i think its same to assume that the lower spec car has a grey plastic grill and not a chrome one.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 19:21   #293
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 743
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Gives a good idea.

I think many are preferring the SUV stance these days, since it is a new segment in India. Plus since one sits slightly higher in an small SUV, the view maybe slightly better. Not to mention the diesel torque that the Duster & Terrano gives.

I too had taken a test drive of a Duster a few months back. The Duster was good in terms of torque, but the interior I felt was average. The clutch being diesel felt different. In all we liked the Duster's drive but nothing exceptional of the interior quality of plastic, HU, speedometer lights etc. In contrast, the Honda City, I feel has a slightly premium feel. Of course one sits low in it, being a sedan. But the interiors and the drive quality of a Honda is different, a lot smoother and noiseless. So really hard to compare these 2 segments.

Having said this, if we trade in our second car in future I will look at the Duster or Terrano as a replacement just to have a second vehicle of a different segment.
.
I am having a similar opinion/dilemma. In fact, I did a pictorial comparison of City and the Duster (inputs mainly from TBHP officilal review). I want the Duster for the Ride and SUV feel, but almost everything else City scores.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 19:35   #294
BHPian
 
geotracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 234
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I am having a similar opinion/dilemma. In fact, I did a pictorial comparison of City and the Duster (inputs mainly from TBHP officilal review). I want the Duster for the Ride and SUV feel, but almost everything else City scores.
So true! Agree 100%.

As a present 2012 Honda City V MT owner though, if it came to, it will be hard for us to decide to swap; the premium feel, silent, smooth, time tested i-vtec; for a Duster, since as you so rightly said, "but almost everything else City scores".
geotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 19:45   #295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune, Vasai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

The latest ACI issue has a shoutout between the new City CVT and Vento TSI. ACI surprisingly recommends City over TSI which puts me into a dilemma since I had made up my mind on the TSI. The main reason for ACI choosing City over TSI is the low end response of the city, better equipped cabin (never imagined City wining this comparison), paddle shifts and space.
I am currently driving the outgoing City so still leaning towards the TSI but will wait for the price announcement on the 7th before making my decision. Anyone else in a similar dilemma.
crazyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:01   #296
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
The latest ACI issue has a shoutout between the new City CVT and Vento TSI. ACI surprisingly recommends City over TSI which puts me into a dilemma since I had made up my mind on the TSI. The main reason for ACI choosing City over TSI is the low end response of the city, better equipped cabin (never imagined City wining this comparison), paddle shifts and space.
I am currently driving the outgoing City so still leaning towards the TSI but will wait for the price announcement on the 7th before making my decision. Anyone else in a similar dilemma.
VW was not accepting booking for tsi. They told me in Dec that booking will open in Jan and delivery expected after March. I really liked tsi engine and dsg gearbox, but not liking their sales and service. I will take decision after driving city cvt
ambadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 20:45   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,215
Thanked: 598 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
The latest ACI issue has a shoutout between the new City CVT and Vento TSI. ACI surprisingly recommends City over TSI which puts me into a dilemma since I had made up my mind on the TSI. The main reason for ACI choosing City over TSI is the low end response of the city, better equipped cabin (never imagined City wining this comparison), paddle shifts and space.
I am currently driving the outgoing City so still leaning towards the TSI but will wait for the price announcement on the 7th before making my decision. Anyone else in a similar dilemma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
VW was not accepting booking for tsi. They told me in Dec that booking will open in Jan and delivery expected after March. I really liked tsi engine and dsg gearbox, but not liking their sales and service. I will take decision after driving city cvt
The TSI piqued my interest as well but a couple of things dispelled me of the notion of buying a VW. No test drive cars months after launch and even if I was willing to wait there is no clarity on extended warranty. VW needs to realize that people who understand the advantages of the TSI also understand the problems with the DQ200 gearbox.

In the final analysis, the peace of mind of buying and owning a Honda trumped everything else. The ACI comparison just helped reinforce the decision to book a City CVT. It helps that despite the TSI's modernity, the City is more fuel efficient.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 21:56   #298
BHPian
 
Tats07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 357
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

The ACI comparison also gives an estimated ex-showroom for City AT as 10.7 Lakhs. I wonder if there's a basis for this; if there is, and the price is actually around that figure, what makes Honda command a premium of 70k over Vento TSI?

Last edited by Tats07 : 4th January 2014 at 21:58.
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 11:21   #299
BHPian
 
nik_kapur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 946
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Just got off the phone with my sales agent and he said that the Petrol cars will only arrive Feb end and i cannot expect my car (booked in Nov) to be delivered anytime before the 1st week of March. They have received only Diesel cars and do not expect anymore cars in January. Im in such a quandary now ! Sold my car in anticipation and now i won't have my own car until March! Maybe its time to look at the Vento TSI DSG once again.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 11:33   #300
Newbie
 
phkr19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

I believe its the same case everywhere. Had called the SA at Dakshin Honda in Bangalore, he too was of the opinion that the first lot will contain Diesel Cars and the Petrol Demo ones, and was unsure of the CVT( booked in first week of November) in the first batch. He asked me whether we would convert our booking to a diesel.
However, he added that the launch is on 7th Jan and told me he would revert if there are any changes.
phkr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda City, 4th generation i-Vtec - Our 3rd Honda City in 10 years Mevtec Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 9 14th December 2015 20:15
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)? nnandi Sedans 16 28th October 2008 17:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks