Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 10:57   #4126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 49
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Looking for advice on a particular issue that I'm facing in my VMT iVTec (run for almost ~5500km).

Since sometime ago, after cold starts i.e. after I take out my car in the morning after a full night's rest or in the evening after a day's work, I hear a mild screeching sound (was the loudest today) from the front when I brake at slow speeds while taking a speed breaker/pothole. This behaviour stays on for sometime and then goes away after some running (probably after reaching the optimal engine temperature). I reported this issue during my third service after which they said they had done some clean-up of the brakes but it re-appeared after 1 or 2 days.

Any hints as to what the issue could be due to?

Thanks.

Last edited by OwnersPride : 10th August 2015 at 11:03. Reason: Corrected a typo
OwnersPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 11:40   #4127
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnersPride View Post
Looking for advice on a particular issue that I'm facing in my VMT iVTec (run for almost ~5500km).

Since sometime ago, after cold starts i.e. after I take out my car in the morning after a full night's rest or in the evening after a day's work, I hear a mild screeching sound (was the loudest today) from the front when I brake at slow speeds while taking a speed breaker/pothole. This behaviour stays on for sometime and then goes away after some running (probably after reaching the optimal engine temperature). I reported this issue during my third service after which they said they had done some clean-up of the brakes but it re-appeared after 1 or 2 days.

Any hints as to what the issue could be due to?

Thanks.
This same issue is present with my SV CVT brakes as well and it increases with time. Sadly, these guys don't check it as they say it is normal. According to them it is because driving in rainy conditions where dirt can get between the pad and the Disc.

In my case the noise started only after they did some sort of caliper service without asking me.

The issue was present in my dzire as well and they took 24 hours to solve it. Finally they had to change the front brake pads in 7k kms and adjust the rear brake liner which solved the issue.

Last edited by rockporiom : 10th August 2015 at 11:44.
rockporiom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:10   #4128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 49
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
This same issue is present with my SV CVT brakes as well and it increases with time. Sadly, these guys don't check it as they say it is normal. According to them it is because driving in rainy conditions where dirt can get between the pad and the Disc.
...
The issue was present in my dzire as well and they took 24 hours to solve it. Finally they had to change the front brake pads in 7k kms and adjust the rear brake liner which solved the issue.
Thanks rockporiom. So, only the brake pad change might solve this issue? If at all I report this again, any chance the SC can honor this through warranty? Or could they say its only due to external driving conditions?...

How did the change happen with your Dzire? With warranty or without?
OwnersPride is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:16   #4129
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnersPride View Post
Thanks rockporiom. So, only the brake pad change might solve this issue? If at all I report this again, any chance the SC can honor this through warranty? Or could they say its only due to external driving conditions?...

How did the change happen with your Dzire? With warranty or without?
In Maruti it was covered under warranty. Currently my SV CVT is overdue for service and will be visiting the ASC very soon. Would suggest you to wait till then so that i can see what response they provide. My car is also juddering when braking above 80. Its a slight judder but yes it is present and doesn't inspire confidence when braking.

I am suspecting that my brake discs and pads are on their way out. Car has done 9k kms in one year.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 12:43   #4130
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Does the centre console armrest box of the V variant of the Honda City Diesel have a carpet as shown in the review?
varunsangal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 13:26   #4131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 49
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
In Maruti it was covered under warranty. Currently my SV CVT is overdue for service and will be visiting the ASC very soon. Would suggest you to wait till then so that i can see what response they provide. My car is also juddering when braking above 80. Its a slight judder but yes it is present and doesn't inspire confidence when braking.

I am suspecting that my brake discs and pads are on their way out. Car has done 9k kms in one year.
Sure. Would be great if you can update after your visit to the service centre. My car is not due for its first paid service until few months from now. I'll probably need an interim visit.

And is it not a little too early for the disc/pad wear (at 9K)? Hope your issues get resolved soon enough.

Thanks.

Last edited by OwnersPride : 10th August 2015 at 13:29.
OwnersPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 16:47   #4132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 49
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Does the centre console armrest box of the V variant of the Honda City Diesel have a carpet as shown in the review?
Varun, do you mean the small fabric piece inside the arm rest storage, at the bottom? If yes, then I have it. Mine is a VMT iVTec.
OwnersPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 17:37   #4133
BHPian
 
kalyan_hyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 346
Thanked: 41 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnersPride View Post
So, only the brake pad change might solve this issue? If at all I report this again, any chance the SC can honor this through warranty? Or could they say its only due to external driving conditions?...
Replacement of brake-pads might resolve the issue. I have a VMT from 2009. My OEM brake pads had to be changed around 42000 kms run. The screeching sound is what prompted the change.

Normally, brake-pads are wear and tear products and I am not sure if the same would be covered under warranty. If they are deemed to be covered, as in your case, the run-in of the car isn't too much, they will replace it. I had an issue with my car's horn during the first year. When I complained during the first service, they cleaned it and re-fit the same(just like your issue at hand now). On a second complaint, they replaced it. The SA said something about reporting the same issue twice (for certain things) for Honda to consider them for replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnersPride View Post
And is it not a little too early for the disc/pad wear (at 9K)? Hope your issues get resolved soon enough.
Brake-pads are wear and tear components, there might be a usual period associated with when they go bad, it would be documented on your service booklet. That is when, you will be recommended for a change. But, having said that. individual usage pattern also determines how soon they can wear-off. However, 9k sounds too soon for them to wear-off. I am guessing they would have used Bosch pads, Bosch does provide warranty for the brake-pads which can be availed through your Honda dealership. If they mention, its not covered under the warranty, take it in writing with them.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 08:17   #4134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 49
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Replacement of brake-pads might resolve the issue. I have a VMT from 2009. My OEM brake pads had to be changed around 42000 kms run. The screeching sound is what prompted the change.
....
If they mention, its not covered under the warranty, take it in writing with them.
Thanks Kalyan for the advice. I then guess its time for me to head to the service centre for this issue. Will go in a few days as my service schedule is a little too further away from now.

Regards,
Kalyan
OwnersPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 02:41   #4135
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnersPride View Post
Sure. Would be great if you can update after your visit to the service centre. My car is not due for its first paid service until few months from now. I'll probably need an interim visit.

And is it not a little too early for the disc/pad wear (at 9K)? Hope your issues get resolved soon enough.

Thanks.
Haven't got time to service the car but took it to the ASC to show them the brake noise and shudder. They diagnosed warped discs which required the discs and pads to be changed. Even before i spelled out warranty he said Rs. 5500 for both discs and pads together.

When i questioned warranty on bosch pads he clearly denied. When i said i would mail Honda he said i was free to do so but it wouldn't yield any benefit as he just changed the discs and pads of a city that had run a mere 4k kms.

With just 9.3k on the odo its pathetic to see discs warping and Honda not honoring warranty

Honda please put out a public statement giving out a detailed report stating where all you have cut the corners in terms of quality so that us lot can be prepared for the reapir bills that are headed our way.


Shame at HONDA QC.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 04:41   #4136
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,712
Thanked: 1,411 Times
Default Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Shame at HONDA QC.
While its sad to note that the car is having shuddering issues so soon, there is no harm in sending a strong worded mail to Honda about it, these service advisor's will always say warranty would not be approved.

My Ecosport was also facing brake shuddering at 19k kms and Ford readily agreed to replace discs under warranty but the service guys said i would have to pay for brake pads, shot a mail to Ford and even the brake pads were replaced under goodwill warranty. Had to pay nothing.

Have no experience with Honda's service but being a japanese company, have heard they are better than Ford in after sales, shoot a mail and Honda should oblige, do not give in and pay for it, there is just no reason other than manufacturing defect for rotors to warp so soon.

You dont seem to have good luck with city, recurring issues eh?
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 04:54   #4137
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,417
Thanked: 9,304 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
While its sad to note that the car is having shuddering issues so soon, there is no harm in sending a strong worded mail to Honda about it, these service advisor's will always say warranty would not be approved.
Even Amaze (diesel) has known problem with brake pads wearing out almost every 10k kms and disks also had to be replaced for some members outside of warranty within 20k kms.

Brakes are usually considered wear and tear parts and excluded from warranty, but 10k is ridiculous. In comparison- My car is still running the 3rd set of brake pads at the 100k mark. Honda has to act on goodwill here.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 10:21   #4138
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
While its sad to note that the car is having shuddering issues so soon, there is no harm in sending a strong worded mail to Honda about it, these service advisor's will always say warranty would not be approved.

My Ecosport was also facing brake shuddering at 19k kms and Ford readily agreed to replace discs under warranty but the service guys said i would have to pay for brake pads, shot a mail to Ford and even the brake pads were replaced under goodwill warranty. Had to pay nothing.

Have no experience with Honda's service but being a japanese company, have heard they are better than Ford in after sales, shoot a mail and Honda should oblige, do not give in and pay for it, there is just no reason other than manufacturing defect for rotors to warp so soon.

You dont seem to have good luck with city, recurring issues eh?

I doubt mailing would benefit me. A guy had complained of knocking in his diesel city a day after delivery and demanded the car to be changed. The showroom and Honda denied. He was given the option of an engine swap. He denied and took it to court, now his car is lying at the workshop since last 1 year.

The service estimate for my car came to Rs.13675 which is eye watering(includes pads and discs worth 5500). Considering 2 services in a year if we take out the brake pads it would cost about 20k in a year to maintain the car which is too damn much considering my car runs only 8-9k kms in a year. He says this is cheap as the previous gen had 3 month service interval. When i asked why do you need so many services, his single answer "saar it is a HONDA"

He gave me an option to take AMC of 18.7k which would free me of all labor charge and include 2 service with oil change, alignment and balancing.

I guess i will have to look at another car sooner than i think at this rate as keeping up with the niggles and paying huge bucks for maintaining the car is getting a bit difficult now. Maintaining the car outside ASC is out of question as it would void warranty and i am in no way risking a transmission failure with no warranty. Not to say that anything is wrong with it but i don't trust the AT's when it comes to reliability be it from any company.

The alternator is grinding away from last 4 months and is getting on my nerves. The problem is these guys take too much time to get warranty approval and change the part. Also, they don't give a loaner car as well.

For God's sake, this is a million rupee car and i don't expect falling door beadings, failed compressor, misting headlamps or grinding alternators. Agreed the IVTEC is the best engine in this segment which sells only on its name and reputation but i don't believe that it is any reason to fleece a customer.

I have also found some shady practices by the dealer. The A/c panel with the silver finish had some scratches from day one which i had asked them to replace. This hasn't been done even now and when i called my SA to ask about the same he said they are trying to remove it from another stock car but it is breaking so they are unable to replace.

Same thing with the Audio system which is not working in bluetooth. According to the ASC Honda has denied warranty stating problem isn't clear so they again said they would replace it from another stock car

Wondering, what all these guys remove from stock cars? Seriously, shameful attitude by the dealer.


Note from Mod: On 17th August 2015, 23:49 rockporiom wanted to add the following
Would like to edit the post. The diesel car was a year old and not a day old. Had recieved wrong facts from my source. Request you to correct the same.

Apologies

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th August 2015 at 16:26. Reason: Added note. Suggest you post & clarify in the thread as well. Thanks.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 12:05   #4139
BHPian
 
tejas08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mulund, Mumbai
Posts: 357
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
I doubt mailing would benefit me. A guy had complained of knocking in his diesel city a day after delivery and demanded the car to be changed. The showroom and Honda denied. He was given the option of an engine swap. He denied and took it to court, now his car is lying at the workshop since last 1 year.
You never know how a strong email to Honda may work. More than the Manufacturers it's always the Dealers / ASC who give a bad impressions about the company.

With regards to the Diesel City you are mentioning, I don't think any manufacturer will ever replace the car in total. Honda has done a good gesture in replacing the engine in this case. There was a thread few weeks ago about a 1 Cr+ BMW having an engine seizure at 4K kms. Even BMW did not offer a replacement of car. In fact this is a 1 Cr+ car that we are talking about not offering a car replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
The service estimate for my car came to Rs.13675 which is eye watering(includes pads and discs worth 5500). Considering 2 services in a year if we take out the brake pads it would cost about 20k in a year to maintain the car which is too damn much considering my car runs only 8-9k kms in a year. He says this is cheap as the previous gen had 3 month service interval. When i asked why do you need so many services, his single answer "saar it is a HONDA"

He gave me an option to take AMC of 18.7k which would free me of all labor charge and include 2 service with oil change, alignment and balancing.
Not sure what all you are getting done from the ASC, but I think there seems to be a lot of unwanted things being done from the ASC end which you should straight away deny.

My 1st Paid service cost was Rs. 4,344. Wheel Alignment and Balancing was done from outside in less than half the cost. No point in doing both these things from the Dealerships. I get only those things done from the ASC which are mentioned in the manual. Do that and you will see that the cost is fairly acceptable.

With regards to the previous gen cars having 3 month service intervals, that was the case even with Maruti's some years ago. Now Honda has taken a step ahead in the right direction albeit still behind other manufacturers. My personal comfort is six month interval for servicing. It gives me piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
The alternator is grinding away from last 4 months and is getting on my nerves. The problem is these guys take too much time to get warranty approval and change the part. Also, they don't give a loaner car as well.
I too had that issue and had to go to the ASC at least 5 times. Yes, it can be very very irritating but then the Honda ASC guys too need to work on certain protocols. They could have cut down at least 2 visits out of the 5 but they did solve the problem till I was thoroughly satisfied.

Here's the link of the whole episode explained in detail.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3694586 (4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
For God's sake, this is a million rupee car and i don't expect falling door beadings, failed compressor, misting headlamps or grinding alternators. Agreed the IVTEC is the best engine in this segment which sells only on its name and reputation but i don't believe that it is any reason to fleece a customer.

Same thing with the Audio system which is not working in bluetooth. According to the ASC Honda has denied warranty stating problem isn't clear so they again said they would replace it from another stock car

Wondering, what all these guys remove from stock cars? Seriously, shameful attitude by the dealer.
Are you saying that you have experienced all these problems in your City or is it that you are just indicating as Honda's failure in terms of a Million plus bucks car? I would be surprised if you have had all these problems in your own car (Meaning all problems in one single car) because a lot of the owners have reported these problems but don't remember anybody expressing more than one major problem and maybe a couple of minor problems in their total experience.

Here's my list of problems.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3686861 (4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report)

At the end I would advice you to try out a different ASC than the one who have been going to.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 12:24   #4140
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post

Are you saying that you have experienced all these problems in your City or is it that you are just indicating as Honda's failure in terms of a Million plus bucks car? I would be surprised if you have had all these problems in your own car (Meaning all problems in one single car) because a lot of the owners have reported these problems but don't remember anybody expressing more than one major problem and maybe a couple of minor problems in their total experience.

Here's my list of problems.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3686861 (4th Gen Honda City i-VTEC Manual - 1st year ownership report)

At the end I would advice you to try out a different ASC than the one who have been going to.
All these problems are present in my particular car. In fact these are not all of them i am also facing thuds from the suspension. The left strut seems to have a problem from the beginning. Their database shows that they were fiddling with my left front strut since last 2 services, i wasn't informed of the same. Now it thuds in bumps and potholes. The accelarator pedal vibrates like a diesel when pushed above 3k rpm or when it is in sport mode. Dashboard has started rattling since last week.

Only thing that works without any complaint is that gem IVTEC and the transmission. Trying out a different dealer is difficult as the other one is far away and there are only 2 dealers in my city.

Don't get me wrong the city is a good car with good handling charecteristics and excellent seating comfort but the consistently cropping up niggles are a pain.

Regarding the service bill, it doesn't include alignment and balancing. It includes service charge, engine oil, brake pads and discs, oil filter, air filter, A/c filter and tax. The bill also includes two extra things a brake service which is Rs. 500 and a nitrogen fill up which is Rs. 500. Even if I don't opt for the above two it would still cost me about 12.5k.

Strange thing is some of these issues were present in my Kizashi as well Can't believe my luck is so damn bad. Planning to get some puja's and havan's done now as suggested by A4anurag.

Last edited by rockporiom : 15th August 2015 at 12:33.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda City, 4th generation i-Vtec - Our 3rd Honda City in 10 years Mevtec Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 9 14th December 2015 20:15
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)? nnandi Sedans 16 28th October 2008 17:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks