Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2016, 00:15   #4561
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 363
Thanked: 370 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Honda City i-Vtec 1.5 or Volkswagen Vento 1.6 mpi.
Which one to chose? Your views please BHP'ians.

The sales is enough proof for you I think. The Indian customer is really smart and after considering all points and benefits alone do they choose a winner and worthy car. And that winner is the City. Hands down. Sales leader. I'm not saying that the sales chart should influence you decision alone but in this case it says a lot. You'll always be on the safer side from all angles with a City. VW is kind of suicidal. As a machine, the Vento too is not bad at all ( I loved the 1.6 diesel the most), but once you buy it, then you're on your own. VW kinda gets allergic to you . Get the picture?
pixantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 07:54   #4562
BHPian
 
Pferdestarke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 378
Thanked: 440 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Honda City i-Vtec 1.5 or Volkswagen Vento 1.6 mpi.
Which one to chose? Your views please BHP'ians.
I don't want to post a long comparo for the two. In a nut shell, 1.5 i-VTEC is the hands down winner when it comes to manual petrol but it's the converse when it comes to choosing a diesel or petrol AT among these two.

Just my two cents but to each his own!
Pferdestarke is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 09:40   #4563
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AHMEDABAD
Posts: 99
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
The sales is enough proof for you I think. The Indian customer is really smart and after considering all points and benefits alone do they choose a winner and worthy car. And that winner is the City. Hands down. Sales leader. I'm not saying that the sales chart should influence you decision alone but in this case it says a lot. You'll always be on the safer side from all angles with a City. VW is kind of suicidal. As a machine, the Vento too is not bad at all ( I loved the 1.6 diesel the most), but once you buy it, then you're on your own. VW kinda gets allergic to you . Get the picture?





Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I don't want to post a long comparo for the two. In a nut shell, 1.5 i-VTEC is the hands down winner when it comes to manual petrol but it's the converse when it comes to choosing a diesel or petrol AT among these two.

Just my two cents but to each his own!
Thanks guys!
Actually the only reason I'm asking this question is because of the many niggles the 4th Generation City has, as reported by the owners.
I am a die hard City fan from the start, but I'm keeping an open mind to weigh each cars pros and cons.
The cars I had in mind were:
1) Honda City 1.5 i-vtec
2) VW Vento 1.6mpi
3) Ford Ecosport 1.0 Ecoboost

I ruled out the Ecosport after a test drive with my parents because of the Claustrophobic feeling the car gave. Although the 1.0 engine was amazing!

Finally it came between the Vento and City.
I was BLOWN away by the dynamics of the Vento! But then when considering points like reliability, resale value, cost of ownership, the City wins hands down! And space is the best offered in the City. The VW loses because of the giant transmission hump, seating 5 is a pain.
But still I love the VW's pom pom horn and the driving dynamics.

Last edited by iss1307 : 20th January 2016 at 09:43.
iss1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 10:04   #4564
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 6,370 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Honda City i-Vtec 1.5 or Volkswagen Vento 1.6 mpi.
Which one to chose? Your views please BHP'ians.
Purely head to head for the Manual petrol based on drivability and sales, the City wins. I doubt if the Vento MT even sells in 3 digits.

Having said that, from the usage details you have mentioned in an earlier post, your running is not going to be much and I don't think you will end up with wear and tear replacements for some time. So if your heart says Vento, go for it. get the extended warranty and you should be covered for 4 years. just because the mass market likes the City, does not mean everyone has to buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
VW is kind of suicidal. As a machine, the Vento too is not bad at all ( I loved the 1.6 diesel the most), but once you buy it, then you're on your own. VW kinda gets allergic to you . Get the picture?
I don't think we should be making such generic statements. While I won't contest that the City in general probably provides a more hassle free ownership experience (which also I am beginning to question considering the number of niggles reported and service center trips owners are having to make), does not mean every person who buys a VW is in for a whole lot of trouble. There are a lot of parameters in play.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016, 22:09   #4565
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AHMEDABAD
Posts: 99
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Purely head to head for the Manual petrol based on drivability and sales, the City wins. I doubt if the Vento MT even sells in 3 digits.

Having said that, from the usage details you have mentioned in an earlier post, your running is not going to be much and I don't think you will end up with wear and tear replacements for some time. So if your heart says Vento, go for it. get the extended warranty and you should be covered for 4 years. just because the mass market likes the City, does not mean everyone has to buy that.

Actually I love both the cars. The kind of dynamics VW offers cannot be justified by the City. But the City wins in the departments that matter the most in India and those are space, reliability, resale value, lower cost of ownership. However it loses out on built quality, quality of interiors and sheer dynamics. Not saying it is a bad handler or dynamically bad, it is no doubt a very well balanced car but it loses out to the German.
As of now we have finalised the City.
We are waiting for the 2016 facelift which will cause the dealers to give more discount for the existing one.
iss1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 01:45   #4566
mxh
BHPian
 
mxh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 160
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
.
We are waiting for the 2016 facelift which will cause the dealers to give more discount for the existing one.
A face-lift so quickly? Isn't it supposed to come in 2017. I am reading different news on different sites.
mxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 09:46   #4567
BHPian
 
sun_king's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: KA05
Posts: 147
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
<snip>
We are waiting for the 2016 facelift which will cause the dealers to give more discount for the existing one.
A discount will probably be wishful thinking, from the day the new City was launched there were no discounts or even free goodies (I got a small free gold plated dashboard idol though). The general message is that you are lucky to be owning a City, it is not going to change till the sales dip drastically or a real contestant emerges.

As for the reported niggles, expect it to be a little bit higher because the sales volume is impressive and hence the number of owners in forums like this is higher. Personally, I have been using the iVTEC for more than 18 months now and no complaints till now.
sun_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 11:15   #4568
mxh
BHPian
 
mxh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 160
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post

As for the reported niggles, expect it to be a little bit higher because the sales volume is impressive and hence the number of owners in forums like this is higher. Personally, I have been using the iVTEC for more than 18 months now and no complaints till now.
The niggles are not related to the sales volumes. Most of the people with niggles are having the same issues. In most cases, the defects are related to ridiculous cost cutting.

Toyota Vios is looking all set to deal a killer blow to Honda, I wish it was available when I bought my City. When is this expected to launch?
mxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 12:00   #4569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AHMEDABAD
Posts: 99
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
The niggles are not related to the sales volumes. Most of the people with niggles are having the same issues. In most cases, the defects are related to ridiculous cost cutting.

Toyota Vios is looking all set to deal a killer blow to Honda, I wish it was available when I bought my City. When is this expected to launch?
I am expecting it to be displayed during this Auto Expo.
iss1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 16:24   #4570
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 4
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
The niggles are not related to the sales volumes. Most of the people with niggles are having the same issues. In most cases, the defects are related to ridiculous cost cutting.

Toyota Vios is looking all set to deal a killer blow to Honda, I wish it was available when I bought my City. When is this expected to launch?
Vios should be a car to watch out for. I think Toyota's entry into the C (C+) segment has been long pending. However, I hope don't get overboard with their cost cutting which they did with Etios.

Lastly, I do think that the City / Verna are better equipped than the Vios (at least the Malaysian version)
AkshatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 17:05   #4571
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: AHMEDABAD
Posts: 99
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshatR View Post
Vios should be a car to watch out for. I think Toyota's entry into the C (C+) segment has been long pending. However, I hope don't get overboard with their cost cutting which they did with Etios.

Lastly, I do think that the City / Verna are better equipped than the Vios (at least the Malaysian version)
Yes! I saw a comparison between the Nissan Sunny, Toyota Vios and Honda City on YouTube. The Honda City won.
iss1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:33   #4572
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 6,370 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Honda City now gets black interior option with VX(O) BL

Name:  HondaCityblackinterior.jpg
Views: 4285
Size:  30.0 KB

Quote:
The new grade is positioned alongside existing VX(O) grade available in Beige Leather Interiors and is offered in Manual Transmission in both petrol & diesel in Premium White Orchid Pearl and Alabaster Silver colours in the line-up. The 4th Generation Honda City has appealed to a large number of young buyers and the introduction of VX(O)BL is in response to the younger customer’s voice. The grade also comes with Sunroof and Advanced Integrated Touchscreen Audio Visual Navigation (AVN).
In addition, Honda has also made Dual Airbags and ISOFIX and Top Tether Anchor as standard across the range. ABS with EBD is also standard (Guess it was already there earlier)

Good move by Honda with the updated safety features.

Updated Honda City Prices (ex-showroom, Delhi)

Petrol variants
E MT – Rs 7.63 lakh
S MT – Rs 8.29 lakh
SV – Rs 8.89 lakh
V MT – Rs 9.47 lakh
VX MT – Rs 10.44 lakh
SV CVT – Rs 9.92 lakh
VX CVT – Rs 11.53 lakh
VX (O) – Rs 10.74 lakh

Diesel variants
EMT – Rs 8.85 lakh
SMT – Rs 9.51 lakh
SVMT – Rs 10.01 lakh
VMT – Rs 10.66 lakh
VXMT – Rs 11.64 lakh
VX (O) – Rs 11.94 lakh

Source: Shifting gears

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 22nd January 2016 at 12:39.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 15:51   #4573
BHPian
 
vpillai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 64
Thanked: 104 Times
Post Re: Honda City : Official Review

Hi Guys,

I just stumbled upon this article - http://www.team-bhp.com/news/honda-r...i-vtec-engines

I thought, the i-VTEC is a naturally aspirated petrol engine. Did Honda ever launch a vehicle in India with a "turbo i-VTEC"?
vpillai is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 16:47   #4574
BHPian
 
db0009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 54
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Dear All,
Just wondering this all black interiors are only available with manual transmission, as the price suggests. Did not understand why the cvt model be deprived of black interiors.
db0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 23:18   #4575
mxh
BHPian
 
mxh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 160
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0009 View Post
Dear All,
Just wondering this all black interiors are only available with manual transmission, as the price suggests. Did not understand why the cvt model be deprived of black interiors.
Makes sense to me, black is the preferred colour for car enthusiasts, and generally enthusiasts do not buy CVTs.
By the way, have the prices gone up. Is there an arbitrage opportunity for 2015 buyers?
mxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda City, 4th generation i-Vtec - Our 3rd Honda City in 10 years Mevtec Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 9 14th December 2015 20:15
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)? nnandi Sedans 16 28th October 2008 17:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks