Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 20th August 2015, 20:22   #436
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Has anyone upgraded their headlamps on their xcent? I purchased H4 Philips x-tremevision and the dealer refused to fit them. I'm not sure how easy it is to do myself.
As Grand i10 and Xcent are similar, I am taking liberty to post here ( though I have sold off my Grand i10 )
Its quite easy, but dont do it at night. There is a description of the same in manual.
Changing bulbs is easier Right Side and difficult on Left due to less space behind left headlamp assembly. I had to literally stain my hand for changing bulbs on Left Side. Had a few cuts too on my hand.

A car accessory shop can also manage the same in 5 mins or less. If you are not confident of changing it, take it to car accessory shop or any good mechanic.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th August 2015 at 20:26.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 20:51   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Changing bulbs is easier Right Side and difficult on Left due to less space behind left headlamp assembly. I had to literally stain my hand for changing bulbs on Left Side. Had a few cuts too on my hand.
Finding a decent car mechanic is my next option (not easy in the small town I stay).
I've seen the back of the bulb holders, but find it difficult to access the bulbs.
By the way - did you use H4 too? What bulb did you upgrade to?
BenjiRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 22:28   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finding a decent car mechanic is my next option (not easy in the small town I stay).
I've seen the back of the bulb holders, but find it difficult to access the bulbs.
By the way - did you use H4 too? What bulb did you upgrade to?
For the bulbs, I referred a thread where TBHP member Altocumulus had installed Ring Automotive Ultima H4 60/55W bulbs in his Ritz.
I ordered the same from Flipkart (the first set were duplicate and next one was genuine ) and they were quite good in Grand i10, more than 40% change from OE bulbs. i10 OE were halonix, got Osram and then Ring Automotive.

Ring Automotive bulbs were very nice and improvements over Osram were obvious. Did not purchase Philips Xtreme vision and Osram Night breaker range and wanted to try something else. I do recommend the Ring Automotive Ultima bulbs. The OE halonix were rather useless.

EDIT : I used H4 as I did not want to void warranty and also the wires are simply too thin and wonder if they are capable of handling bulbs of higher wattage.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th August 2015 at 22:32.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 06:51   #439
BHPian

A while ago my scent passenger side rear view mirror almost got damaged. In crawling traffic a small tata ace slowly kissed my mirror and as it tried to accelerate I heard a loudish noise and thought my mirror had broken. I found the mirror assembly maligned with the housing but it snapped back in to place. The indicator glass was a bit scuffed in a small place. The mirror unit had swung forward and after I eased it back all was fine!
My first thought when I heard the sound was that this would burn a hole in my pocket. It looks like the unit is well assembled and well built.
Its been a few months now and the motor and assembly work fine!
BenjiRoss is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 11:31   #440
BHPian

So, our Xcent got its first scratch a few days ago, damaging passenger side fender & front door.

Hyundai Xcent : Official Review-img_3736.jpg

The Hyundai service center quoted 8-9K for fixing this which is too high IMHO. What do the others think? For now we have decided to live with it.
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 11:43   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The Hyundai service center quoted 8-9K for fixing this which is too high IMHO. What do the others think? For now we have decided to live with it.
8-9K is highway robbery! If you can, live with it. If you can't, go to an independent body shop, they'll do it for less than half the price.

You can find some leads in Mumbai here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/mumbai/

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 4th September 2015 at 11:44.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 11:48   #442
BHPian

Quote:
So, our Xcent got its first scratch a few days ago, damaging passenger side fender & front door.

Attachment 1410421

When my Xcent had met with an accident, the front right side of the bumper was badly scratched. The problem is the A.S.S does not believe in ‘touching up’ any part. They pretty much repaint the whole panel. The panels are quite big like front right bumper, right door, bonnet, etc. So from I see in your pictures, I think they will repaint 2 whole panels. The reason they quote for doing this is that touch up will make the paint look uneven within the same panel. This is something that an independent garage will be fine doing (probably doing a good job at a lower cost).

What you can do is get a quote from an independent garage and see if the difference is a lot. Since the cost is just 8-9k, it does not make sense to claim insurance and give up NCB. I would advise to get it repaired somewhere as it looks bad and such things do not happen often (minor scratches are OK, not dents and severe paint peeling like this)
praveen789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 11:49   #443
BHPian

Quote:

It won't make much sense paying all by yourself or to take an insurance claim for something relatively minor like this.

You might be able to get it fixed outside for ~2-3k I think, which is certainly what I would do.
Tanmay K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 12:19   #444
BHPian

Yes, we will not be claiming insurance as it makes no sense to lose NCB for this. We'll see if there is a good independent garage in the area who can do this job. I did go through the directory, but couldn't find a place which had multiple positive reviews. The only entry for a body shop in western suburbs has been closed down.

I am sure this place (Custom Bodywork etc : M-Kraft Designs (Bhandup, Mumbai)) won't do jobs as minor as this. Andrade's garage (Dent & Body Work : Andrade's Garage (Worli, Mumbai)) is far from my place & has mixed reviews, Mazda motors (Exterior work: Paint, Dent, Polish - Mazda Motors (Tardeo, Mumbai)) has premium pricing apart from being far away.

We'll also inquire at some other HASS to check the costs. However, we require the car over the next few days, so at least for another week or two, this will stay as it is.

Last edited by AkMar : 4th September 2015 at 12:22.
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2015, 23:56   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Took our Xcent AT for its first long drive. Trivandrum - Palakkad - Trivandrum. A distance of about 720kms covered in around 18 hours of travel time.

In case, anyone is wondering why 720 kms takes 18 hours- welcome to Kerala. Kerala roads are either under construction, or filled with potholes, or traffic congested, or too narrow even by two lane highway standards. More often than not, it's a combination of two or more of the above factors. If none of the above applies, then there are speed cameras watching for 90kmph max limit.

Left to its own, the 4 speed AT likes to do things slow and relaxed. Thankfully, the manual mode can be used for overtaking. It's still not a fast car though, but manageable. Also noticed that the car really transforms its nature post 80kmph when the slushbox just stops meddling with things and the engine wakes up at 2000rpm.

For all the misery I had to endure - a fuel efficiency figure of 16.54 (tankful method) was a good surprise and really unexpected. I was hoping for 12+ figures as the i10 AT owners used to report lower figures. But 16+ in such conditions is respectable and even my Punto diesel might only return 16.5 in such driving conditions.

I guess Xcent AT might even return 17-19 kmpl on open four lane highways (like in Tamil Nadu).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 07:09   #446
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The good FE is mainly because of the sane speeds that are kept in Kerala roads. In 4 lane roads you would be constantly at triple digit speeds where FE will drop
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2015, 13:24   #447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
The good FE is mainly because of the sane speeds that are kept in Kerala roads. In 4 lane roads you would be constantly at triple digit speeds where FE will drop
I usually prefer to cruise at a constant 100 kmph on four lane highways. The days of insane speeds are over for me I guess. 100 kmph strikes a good balance between speed and safety with the kind of roads we have.

That should return better mileage figures than kerala roads where the gearbox has to keep hunting between fourth, third, second and many a times- even first gear!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th September 2015 at 13:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2015, 12:12   #448
JD1
BHPian

During my recent trip from Bangalore to Yelagiri (330 kms total), the fuel indicator had just crossed half mark after the trip (I had fully filled the tank- auto cutoff at Shell just before starting). What would be the correct way to calculate FE? Crude calculations would make 43/2 = 21.5 (or maybe even 22 litres since the needle just crossed half mark) giving FE of 15. This includes the 7-8 kms each way of hair pin bends ascending and descending the hills (and without that it was even spectacular especially I was keeping mostly between 80-100 on the open roads post Electronics City all the way till I exited from highway). The RPM was around 3000 even at 100/110 and between 2000-2500 @ 80.
I was impressed with the FE that my AT gave, especially considering it's still in run-in period (1700 kms when I started the trip). I missed cruise control :(
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 19:09   #449
BHPian

I'm a little surprised that the xcent automatic seems to be the only hyundai car that does not have an extended warranty option. Verna, i10 automatics have the option. My dealer promised me last year it will be available. I wrote an email to hyundai 10 days ago and they have not responded.
BenjiRoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015, 00:57   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
During my recent trip from Bangalore to Yelagiri (330 kms total), the fuel indicator had just crossed half mark after the trip (I had fully filled the tank- auto cutoff at Shell just before starting). What would be the correct way to calculate FE? Crude calculations would make 43/2 = 21.5 (or maybe even 22 litres since the needle just crossed half mark) giving FE of 15. This includes the 7-8 kms each way of hair pin bends ascending and descending the hills (and without that it was even spectacular especially I was keeping mostly between 80-100 on the open roads post Electronics City all the way till I exited from highway). The RPM was around 3000 even at 100/110 and between 2000-2500 @ 80.
I was impressed with the FE that my AT gave, especially considering it's still in run-in period (1700 kms when I started the trip). I missed cruise control :(
Come back and fill full tank again, if possible at the same bunk till auto cutoff. The amount of fuel that goes in this time is the actual amount of fuel used for the trip.

So trip distance / above fuel quantity = exact FE.

Quote:
I'm a little surprised that the xcent automatic seems to be the only hyundai car that does not have an extended warranty option. Verna, i10 automatics have the option. My dealer promised me last year it will be available. I wrote an email to hyundai 10 days ago and they have not responded.
True. They were pioneers in small automatic cars, but have a stepmom attitude towards them now!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote