Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2015, 22:47   #1756
BHPian
 
aditya79india's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DELHI
Posts: 240
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
I have a XMA and I agree with Aditya here, there is no creep function neither in Zest nor in Celerio, .............
............Can't remember the source, but I think the creep was added in the Alto AMT. .........
The Celerio does have Creep function.
aditya79india is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2015, 23:42   #1757
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 613
Thanked: 472 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I have an observation it would be nice if other zest owners can concur/correct.

The temperature gauge in my Zest shows 3 bars (I guess this is normal) but when I open the bonnet I feel the heat is much more compared to my WagonR.

Is it because of the turbocharger or do I need to get it checked ?

Otherwise it's been a fantastic four days since Delivery.

- Slick

PS: No power loss whatsoever, which one would normally associate with engine overheating.
You guessed just right. Its the turbocharger. Especially petrol engines produce more heat when turbocharged, be it Ecoboost, Tjet or the TSi, all get heated just like the RT Zest. It is totally normal.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 11:19   #1758
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,585
Thanked: 798 Times
Default

Saw this large poster at the TASS that I take my Storme to
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-20150206_1115281.jpg  


Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2015 at 14:38. Reason: merging consecutive posts
narayan is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 14:17   #1759
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The temperature should be around 4.5 degrees at the AC vent when measured by a thermometer. I think in this weather, it should be lower than 5-6 degrees at all cost.
I checked and it goes minimum till 12 degree. Then goes upto 24 and then starts coming down to 12.

What can be the case ? What should I do ?
Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 14:47   #1760
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,828 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
I checked and it goes minimum till 12 degree. Then goes upto 24 and then starts coming down to 12.

What can be the case ? What should I do ?
12 is a tad too high if measured at the center vents. My Zen's AC was about 10 degrees C and it wasn't as effective as it should be. I think the AC thermostat is cutting in before the proper temperature is attained. You should take the car to TASS and discuss this with your SA. I think a thermostat adjustment (if that is adjustable) or a change should solve the problem. If not 4.5, then anything around 6 degrees should be what you should be targeting.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 15:35   #1761
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,517
Thanked: 875 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
I also have a suspicion that the cooling has some connection with the multidrive. Probably, it cools fine when in city mode but not in eco mode. I asked about it to the service manager who repaired the AC. But he told me it was not the case. According to him the cooling was independent of drives.
I would not totally discount your observation based on what the service manager said. Does the owner's manual provide any clue about how the Eco mode works?
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 16:58   #1762
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 2,709
Thanked: 1,722 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Zest is now available in Nepal
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-zest.jpg  

Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2015, 20:26   #1763
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

I did test drive Zest XMA (AMT) twice. When I test drove first time, I was amazed to find the ease of drive in city traffic. However when I test drove it second time I was concerned with few things. I felt the that manual gear does give more control while handling tricky situation like bumber to bumber traffic, sneal movements and getting in out out of crowded steep inclines. For me the best part was the accurate steering feedback and very comfortable EPAS system. Few technical questions haunted me ever since I did my second test drive. I wrote to myzest@tatamotors.com and customercare@tatamotors.com a week before just get reply “We have shared the details with our Bangalore Regional office. They will immediately take up the matter and close the loop.” without any answers . Below is what I asked them. It will be helpful if any Zest XMA owners or others who are aware of XMA provide your comments on the below questions that I wrote to Tata motors .

1. When the car is parked (engine turned off) will the gearbox be in 1st gear to give engine breaking?. Should it be in “A” mode or “M” mode. Or, holding the car in place while parking is only possible by using handbrakes?
2. The test drive which I drove was rolling back in steep inclines in spite of using the handbrakes as tight as possible. However the engine was turned on and it required pressing accelerator slightly to supplement the car to stand still. Is this normal?
3. Also AMT demo car gave me some problems that even after engine was stared and gear was put and “A” mode car did not put itself to 1st gear against acceleration. Also when in traffic I put the car in “N” mode and after few secs when it was shifted to “A” |”M” mode car did not move forward as it did not shift to 1st gear again. The sales advisor asked me to restart the engine and it worked fine later. Is there any complains like this brought to your notice from actual XMA owners or is this looks like a one of case which is easily rectifiable? Can AMT technology be trusted to be reliable as we do in a manual clutch/gearbox setup?
4. Is there any plan to introduce dual clutch and hill assist (2 sec hold) features in Zest AMT in the near future?
5. Does the car require any additional clutch maintenance when compared to manual gearbox counterparts?

Cheers
csd42419 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 10:47   #1764
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 745
Thanked: 198 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I have an observation it would be nice if other zest owners can concur/correct.

The temperature gauge in my Zest shows 3 bars (I guess this is normal) but when I open the bonnet I feel the heat is much more compared to my WagonR.

Is it because of the turbocharger or do I need to get it checked ?

Otherwise it's been a fantastic four days since Delivery.

- Slick

PS: No power loss whatsoever, which one would normally associate with engine overheating.
2 bars is normal for my Zest D. It shows three bars for some time in bumper to bumper traffic.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 10:57   #1765
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 745
Thanked: 198 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge View Post
I felt the AC of my XMS was not working perfectly. During a long drive I experienced that it used get cut off even before it could cool completely.
I experienced a somewhat similar problem. After travelling for about 300 km non stop, the air throw was reduced drastically though the blower sound remained the same. I switched off the AC for a few minutes and started it again after a few minutes, switching off the recirculation mode. AC worked fine and again after half an hour or so the problem occured again. This had occured for four or five times but was never repeated.

I mentioned this to the Service Advisor when I went for first servicing. Hementioned that it was a thermostat problem and that they had rectified that. If the problem repeats, then they would recommend replacing the thermostat. I had no problem since then.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2015, 11:50   #1766
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
1. When the car is parked (engine turned off) will the gearbox be in 1st gear to give engine breaking?. Should it be in “A” mode or “M” mode. Or, holding the car in place while parking is only possible by using handbrakes?
If you leave the car in A mode (before switching the ignition off) AMT will keep it in 1st. Haven't tried the same with 'M' mode yet. When parked on a steep reverse slop, you need to pull the hand break real hard or the car will roll back slowly.

Quote:
2. The test drive which I drove was rolling back in steep inclines in spite of using the handbrakes as tight as possible. However the engine was turned on and it required pressing accelerator slightly to supplement the car to stand still. Is this normal?
I would expect the car to not to roll back but that seems to be the case with my car as well.
Quote:
3. Also AMT demo car gave me some problems that even after engine was stared and gear was put and “A” mode car did not put itself to 1st gear against acceleration. Also when in traffic I put the car in “N” mode and after few secs when it was shifted to “A” |”M” mode car did not move forward as it did not shift to 1st gear again. The sales advisor asked me to restart the engine and it worked fine later. Is there any complains like this brought to your notice from actual XMA owners or is this looks like a one of case which is easily rectifiable? Can AMT technology be trusted to be reliable as we do in a manual clutch/gearbox setup?
If you don't apply brake, AMT will not be shifting to 1st or R. With the brakes applied, I haven't had any problem shifting to 1st or R yet.
Quote:
4. Is there any plan to introduce dual clutch and hill assist (2 sec hold) features in Zest AMT in the near future?
I checked with my dealer and they are unaware of any such development. I think hill-hold should be there (especially when the handbrake is not that effective on a backward slop, more so when the car is loaded) and hope TM will bring it in next version or facelift.
Quote:
5. Does the car require any additional clutch maintenance when compared to manual gearbox counterparts?
Well, my car has done only about 600 km, hence cannot comment on this. But considering the AMT slipping the clutch for longer at about 2K RPM every time you start off, I wouldn't expect the clutch to last as long as the manual.On the other hand AMT seems to be very kind on engine and transmission as it doesn't allow you to lug the engine.
vishnusv is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 19:23   #1767
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 30
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnusv View Post
If you leave the car in A mode (before switching the ignition off) AMT will keep it in 1st. Haven't tried the same with 'M' mode yet. When parked on a steep reverse slop, you need to pull the hand break real hard or the car will roll back slowly.


I would expect the car to not to roll back but that seems to be the case with my car as well.
Thank you for your prompt feedback and comments .

How much do you think car rolling back upon releasing brake while accelerating in bumper to bumper city traffic (in reverse gradients) spoil the enjoyment and convenience of driving an automatic vs Manual in City. What would you recommend, Zest AMT or Manual, considering 95% use of the car is in city traffic and occasional long drives.
csd42419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 21:29   #1768
BHPian
 
bullet_chacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NEW DELHI
Posts: 79
Thanked: 54 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

I work at a mall in new Delhi...and I have to drive my car from -2 to ground floor, and some time there is traffic. Even I sometime.feel that the cat is rolling back even If the breakers are applied which should not happen as per me.
bullet_chacha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2015, 22:18   #1769
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd42419 View Post
Thank you for your prompt feedback and comments .

How much do you think car rolling back upon releasing brake while accelerating in bumper to bumper city traffic (in reverse gradients) spoil the enjoyment and convenience of driving an automatic vs Manual in City. What would you recommend, Zest AMT or Manual, considering 95% use of the car is in city traffic and occasional long drives.
On most of the city roads, you should be fine if you quickly shift your foot from brake to accelerator. On inclines, my wife hold the foot brake with left foot, then apply accelerator and slowly release brake once the car starts to move. She seems to be pretty comfortable this way.

Except for very steep hill starts and parking in tight spaces on inclines (if you have to park very close against a wall or another car), AMT is pretty easy to drive and shifts are far better compared to a novice driver.

If you can drive a manual, I think its better to go for it. Or consider a DSG .
vishnusv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2015, 00:08   #1770
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 613
Thanked: 472 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnusv View Post
On most of the city roads, you should be fine if you quickly shift your foot from brake to accelerator. On inclines, my wife hold the foot brake with left foot, then apply accelerator and slowly release brake once the car starts to move. She seems to be pretty comfortable this way.
I second this. Before taking the final decision on buying the XMA, I tested it on a steep fly over incline and a parking incline as well. With left foot on the brakes and releasing it after pressing the accelerator, as the car is just about to move forward, it was perfectly fine and xomfortable.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent S2!!! Sedans 191 21st May 2016 09:40
Tata Zest – My experience at the Pimpri Plant pankajparikh The Indian Car Scene 53 20th September 2014 10:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks