Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 10:32   #2101
BHPian
 
bulletboy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 84
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

My Zest Diesel (done around 800 kms so far) is yielding fuel efficiency of around 18kmpl (17.98 kmpl to be precise) calculated by tankful to tankful method. The MID was fairly accurate - indicated 17.8kmpl.
The driving has been a mix : 70% in city (half of which is bumper to bumper traffic) and 30% highway.

On checking the tyre-pressure, I was shocked to see that the pressure was just around 25 (as against recommended pressure of 34)! I think showroom guys did not bother to check the air-pressure at the time of delivery; I hope that with correct tyre-pressure, the mileage will improve!
bulletboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 10:44   #2102
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 613
Thanked: 472 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
I think showroom guys did not bother to check the air-pressure at the time of delivery; I hope that with correct tyre-pressure, the mileage will improve!
After taking delivery of a new car, the first thing to do is to get the air pressure checked. As many cars are kept standing in stockyard for longer durations, air pressure is bound to get lower. And for this reason, those guys actually keep much higher pressure in stockyard vehicles. So, for many, at tge time of delivery it is around 45 or something. There was such an accident wherein a Ritz was taken to highway just 2 days after the delivery and as tyre temperature raised air pressure, one of tge tyre got burst killing the owner.
itsashishsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 19:00   #2103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 745
Thanked: 198 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
They did, but the price quoted by them for the strap on seat covers was 10K and that made sure that I did not buy any accessory from them. Most probably the dealer is overcharging for accessories (I haven't yet checked anywhere else for genuine TML accessories prices, hence cannot be sure, but I can easily get a skin fit seat cover job done for approx. 8K).

I will try with Dzire cover though, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
Seat covers offered by the TML for the Zest were quite good and costed me Rs.6,700.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
After taking delivery of a new car, the first thing to do is to get the air pressure checked....
Add to it the wheel alignment thing. Two of my cars, bought within five months of each other, had misaligned wheels. I did not notice them as the cars were brand new. It was too late before I took notice of them. Had to replace them at around 20 K kms. One was a Maruti and another Hyundai. My Zest didnt have such problem, though.

Last edited by simplyself : 11th August 2015 at 19:04.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 11:51   #2104
Newbie
 
Alakiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Hi BHPians, new to the form. I am thoroughly impressed by the Tata Zest (specially the XTA version) and planning to buy the same early next year. Have read nearly all posts in this thread and find that the owners are really happy with their Zests.

My problem is when i tried convincing my parents and relatives about the Zest, they strongly recommended me against any product from Tata and told that they don't age well. They instead recommended a Hyundai and said that the car would be fine even post 6-8 years of usage.

Having really tough time trying to explain to them that the standard of Tata cars have improved and that the cars will not age really bad. It will be really helpful if any of the proud Zest owners in this forum provide any inputs specially on the 'aging part' of the car. Does the cabin get loose or the plastics inside fade and look old in sometime? Does the exterior finishing of the car fade and look old early?

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
Alakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 12:13   #2105
BHPian
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 256
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakiri View Post
Hi BHPians, new to the form. I am thoroughly impressed by the Tata Zest (specially the XTA version) and planning to buy the same early next year. Have read nearly all posts in this thread and find that the owners are really happy with their Zests.

My problem is when i tried convincing my parents and relatives about the Zest, they strongly recommended me against any product from Tata and told that they don't age well. They instead recommended a Hyundai and said that the car would be fine even post 6-8 years of usage.

Having really tough time trying to explain to them that the standard of Tata cars have improved and that the cars will not age really bad. It will be really helpful if any of the proud Zest owners in this forum provide any inputs specially on the 'aging part' of the car. Does the cabin get loose or the plastics inside fade and look old in sometime? Does the exterior finishing of the car fade and look old early?

Thanks in advance for your valuable inputs.
Hi Alakiri,

I have a 2009 indica vista that has clocked about 78k kms and will be 6 years old this December.
If it helps I would be happy to send you snaps of my car that still looks new considering her age.
I am sure most people look at the taxi market and base their conclusions on the car and company. However, all the cars in the taxi segment are abused and in bad condition.
I have not had a single issue with my car. Just the routine 10k service is all I need. Besides the Zest is a much more advanced car than mine.
bigben is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 12:20   #2106
Newbie
 
Alakiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Hi Alakiri,

I have a 2009 indica vista that has clocked about 78k kms and will be 6 years old this December.
If it helps I would be happy to send you snaps of my car that still looks new considering her age.
I am sure most people look at the taxi market and base their conclusions on the car and company. However, all the cars in the taxi segment are abused and in bad condition.
I have not had a single issue with my car. Just the routine 10k service is all I need. Besides the Zest is a much more advanced car than mine.
Thanks a lot bigben. What you said is very true. Many people base their opinions on the ill maintained Indica taxis and claim all Tata cars to not age well. My cousin even told me that water would seep inside the car once the car gets old and that I have to pour buckets of water outside the car prior to every start
Alakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 13:01   #2107
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 531
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
Update:

...Has anyone else faced anything similar? I have read a few posts in this thread about sound from suspension while driving into potholes, but I do not remember anything about speed breakers.
.

Get the driver side front brake caliper greased at the service station or buy a TVS Girling Caliper grease sachet (high temp. synthetic grease) available at any TATA/MARUTI Service centre for Rs. 32/- and get it done at any FNG. Make sure that no other grease is used, as it will effect the rubber bellow and enlarge it.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 13:58   #2108
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 22
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Yesterday, while driving back my Zest XT Rev from work the engine malfunction light came up with the bells ringing (like the seat belt alarm). The A/C efficiency started to drop and cooling was not as usual. I switched off the AC and drove back home. Today morning, when I started the car the engine malfunction light did not pop up. Not sure if was a one off thing. My car is anyway due for service next month and has touched 1000KM. Will prepone the service by a month and get it checked.

Anyone else faced this problem?
iamdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 14:36   #2109
BHPian
 
Ravindra M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdeva View Post
Yesterday, while driving back my Zest XT Rev from work the engine malfunction light came up with the bells ringing (like the seat belt alarm). The A/C efficiency started to drop and cooling was not as usual. I switched off the AC and drove back home. Today morning, when I started the car the engine malfunction light did not pop up. Not sure if was a one off thing. My car is anyway due for service next month and has touched 1000KM. Will prepone the service by a month and get it checked.

Anyone else faced this problem?
You should not postpone the service, instead you should visit the service centre and get the fault diagnosed at the first available opportunity. The fault is always logged in memory even though it may not be currently in active state. Depending on the fault, you and service centre can take preventive measures so that you will not be stranded on road.

It is something similar on the lines that one should not ignore any chest pains hoping it is only acidity problem.
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 15:53   #2110
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 500
Thanked: 737 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakiri View Post
Thanks a lot bigben. What you said is very true. Many people base their opinions on the ill maintained Indica taxis and claim all Tata cars to not age well. My cousin even told me that water would seep inside the car once the car gets old and that I have to pour buckets of water outside the car prior to every start
You are kidding right?
He really said - pour buckets of water? Out?
What is it supposed to be? A boat?

in 2011 - my dear Indica v2 - which was 6 years old by then - got significantly submerged in water - during a heavy down pour.
The level of water was upto the seats.

Yet I managed to get it out - started on 1st crank - all the water drained out from the provided outlets.
The car just needed a little disinfection, vaccum and airing.

That's all.

P.S. - It had aged very well by then.

Nevertheless, the quality of plastics and metal (especially paint) - has come a long long way since then.
My Manza & Nano are doing brilliantly on that front.
None of those 'rattles or minor issues' that keep cropping up.

The Zest & Bolt - even the new Nano GenX - are a different thing altogether. Leaps ahead of those days.
You can sit inside and forget it's a Tata.

Nevertheless - for complete peace of mind - go for the GOLD AMC. From day 1. For as many years as you intend to keep the car. If you want, insist for and pay for 5 years 60k kms.
You won't have to worry about a thing.

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 13th August 2015 at 15:54.
Dr.Suraj is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 16:06   #2111
Newbie
 
Alakiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post

Nevertheless - for complete peace of mind - go for the GOLD AMC. From day 1. For as many years as you intend to keep the car. If you want, insist for and pay for 5 years 60k kms.
You won't have to worry about a thing.
Thanks Dr Suraj. You have for sure given me peace of mind.
Will definitely get the Zest XTA and the GOLD AMC.

Do they give a 5 year warranty as well? Should we insist/bargain for the same or will we be getting it if we pay more?
Alakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 16:45   #2112
BHPian
 
bigben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 256
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakiri View Post
Thanks Dr Suraj. You have for sure given me peace of mind.
Will definitely get the Zest XTA and the GOLD AMC.

Do they give a 5 year warranty as well? Should we insist/bargain for the same or will we be getting it if we pay more?
If I were you I would wait for a few weeks. With the launch of the aspire, I am sure Tata would launch some sweet deals for the Zest to entice customers. Wait and then buy it.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 18:05   #2113
BHPian
 
bulletboy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 84
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Hi Alakiri,

I too had this concern about rattling sound, poor plastic quality etc, however I got convinced that these are not really 'issues' after speaking couple of my friends. They have been using Vista since last 3 - 4 years (could be 5 years too for one guy). They confirmed multiple times that there is absolutely no rattles of any sort.

After multiple rounds of test drives, comparisons etc, I finally decided for Tata Zest XMS Diesel. I have done around 800ks so far, and the car is performing its duty without any issues.
It is decently fuel efficient (returned me around 18kmpl in 70% city, 30% highway scenario).
bulletboy76 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 18:52   #2114
Newbie
 
Alakiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post
Hi Alakiri,

I too had this concern about rattling sound, poor plastic quality etc, however I got convinced that these are not really 'issues' after speaking couple of my friends. They have been using Vista since last 3 - 4 years (could be 5 years too for one guy). They confirmed multiple times that there is absolutely no rattles of any sort.

After multiple rounds of test drives, comparisons etc, I finally decided for Tata Zest XMS Diesel. I have done around 800ks so far, and the car is performing its duty without any issues.
It is decently fuel efficient (returned me around 18kmpl in 70% city, 30% highway scenario).
Firstly Congrats bulletboy !! Wish you a lot of Zesty moments

And thanks a ton for your feedback. Was really worried as this is going to be my first car that I am getting (leave the Santro Xing that I got from my Dad). My Dad was insistent that I get a second hand car or a cheap car, be completely confident of driving in Bangalore and then go for a better car . He was further very much inclined towards Hyundai Grand i10 and the Ford Ecosport (in case I was going straight for a new car) and dead against me investing 10L on a Tata. But my heart always stood by the Zest XTA. Hopefully, will be able to convince all of them with the positive comments from you and my other fellow BHPians.
Alakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2015, 23:14   #2115
BHPian
 
Dr.Suraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 500
Thanked: 737 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakiri View Post
Thanks Dr Suraj. You have for sure given me peace of mind.
Will definitely get the Zest XTA and the GOLD AMC.

Do they give a 5 year warranty as well? Should we insist/bargain for the same or will we be getting it if we pay more?
Unlike Chevrolet - Tata does not advertise much about it's AMC.
&
BIGGEST problem is - the dealers don't know the AMC package costs clearly.
Also - I don't think the dealers get to benefit if the customer buys a AMC - which is why they don't push it.
Perhaps, they instead stand to loose(?) - because most dealers who run their own service centres - will not get to claim unnecessary repairs?

Just to put things in a perspective -
Gold AMC (which covers every service, every consumable during service - oil, air filter etc., covers labour costs, covers clutch, break, even the rubber covering on the pedals, covers wiper replacement, AC gas )

for the Nano - 4 years, 20,000 kms - cost Rs. 3100.
for the Manza - 4 years, 40,000 kms - cost Rs. 17,100.

So - go ahead - ASK the dealer for 5 years and xx kms. There are different packages available. 40, 50, 60, 70 or even 80k. Price changes - because some important and expensive parts that get replaced under these services get changed.
But it is still VFM - 110%. & Peace of Mind - 150%.

DEMAND - 5 years and whatever kms you feel your running would be in that much.
Ask the dealer to get the price list. If needed - write direct emails to TML.

But once you get that - at the end of 5 years when you will look back at the 'running' expense of a Tata car - you will be able to gladly show any of your colleagues who doubt the Tata car today.

Tata has improved significantly. But their T.A.S.S. & Dealers (with the exceptions of a handful few) - still have some way to go.

Zest is a rattle free product. (as mentioned by service guys known to me.) Not sales guys.

During my trips to the service centres I have observed many and spoken to few Zest owners.
They are all smiles and no complaints.
Small bits like the mud in he engine bay and occasional software quirks (mostly HUD) - as found already documented in this thread.

That's all.

But a fantastic feature loaded car.

All the best.
Just my honest opinion.
Dr.Suraj is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent S2!!! Sedans 191 21st May 2016 09:40
Tata Zest My experience at the Pimpri Plant pankajparikh The Indian Car Scene 53 20th September 2014 10:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks