Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th August 2014, 19:18   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Tata motors is going overboard with calls to prospective customers. Consider myself a prospect since i already have 2 Tatas.

I have been called by the Tata motors folks 3 times already. Come on guys, keeping track of calls already made should be easy right?. Looks like the CRM system needs to go through some quality checks
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 19:42   #242
BHPian

Seems I just came across a reality check of how the management would be more than prepared to evade customers.

Remember in the Indian Car Scene thread I mentioned about trying to get in touch with the top management? Well, turned out Ranjit Yadav replied! but then it seems things took a turn.

Guess I'll just let the tweets speak for themselves :
Tata Zest : Official Review-photo-11.png
On 20th July, The ONLY reason I even actually got an answer was because I know the TaMo communications manager and mentioned the incident to her.

The DM Inbox :
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3517
Size:  34.5 KB
The dignified thing to do would've been to atleast call the person their boss directs them to, but they simply directed me to their website.

Anyway, Such things never happened when Karl Slym was heading them. Whenever he replied to me with CC to Tata Motors, I was duly contacted.

This isn't the first time they've let me down, recently my mail to customer care regarding bad service experience at Bangalore T.A.S.S. too went unanswered.

All praise said and done, I just hope Tata Motors manages the service aspect properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Tata motors is going overboard with calls to prospective customers...
And here I've been behind them since the past month and I've never got even 1 call/reply !

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 8th August 2014 at 20:04.
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 20:31   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post

Note I am not a tata basher as I said in the first place. I was very proud and patriotic to buy two tata vehicles. But what I am sad is that this company has not moved on much. They need good plastic vendor and where are their engineers gone who used to design fabulous vehicles. Remember, the Safari ? It was way ahead of its times in 1998 and Sierra. No foreign manufacturer has been able to twist and play with metal like what Tata's have done with the Safari !! Unfortunately those engineers have gone I guess
Correct me if I am wrong but Safari was designed by Italian design house, IDEA.
durgesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 21:23   #244
BHPian

Not IDEA of Italy, it was designed by IAD of Italy.
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2014, 23:19   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
How is that missed by our MODS. Its difficult to trust that such a crucial point can miss the eye of our mods especially after they having spent so many days with the ZEST.
You may want it to be reconsidered or may be pictorial explanation might better express your observation.

I am sure there was NO blade like cut edge visible on any door pads to me during my TD.

Since the comparison is being made,
Firstly remember the price point at which the Honda city sells and better align your expectations accordingly
Secondly the same Honda city (2014 model)comes with the beige fabric on door pads. How is that perfect and how does it become a 'worst thing' on the ZEST ?

Thirdly the Same Honda city 2014 again comes with no insulation on the boot lid and even the wheel wells.

Fourthly the picture from the interior of Honda city for your reference below.
Notice the loose beading again in there. & also OMG even the flloor beeding here it seems to be so called 'beige'.

Note for mods: I am not trying to go OT but trying to put across my point that with each and every car, you can find fault if one is specifically willing to do so. So my point is lets not write the ZEST off for these trivial things.

Disclaimer:The above pic of City -2014 is not taken by me but found by me on teambhp from another ownership thread. No offence meant to any city owners - a wonderful car and of course superior to the ZEST in most of the aspects.
ok don't take it personal my friend. Both of us are not going to anything if zest sells or not. Lets face the facts , the zest plastic does not beat desire in a big way. Its important for Tata to have come up with something quite differentiating to snatch some market from swift or desire, which is the market leader. My observations are based out of 7 years of ownership of Tata vehicles. For some strange reason, their plastics are very difficult to maintain. For example in my manza, the plastic around the floor near the doors get stained very easily by peoples footwear. If you try to wipe even with a wet cloth , it leaves a very pale look. The plastic does not look rich unlike other cars.
I know Honda city is in a different price segment but even the ertiga petrol is brilliantly priced. What i am telling here is with this quality plastic i am not sure this vehicle will outsell desire/swift. Also their poor marketing and execution continues... The folks whom i met today during test drive from prerarna motors hardly were able to explain features well and were not very polished in appearance or presentation.... Come on we are talking about an exciting new launch. Tatas have to sort these things or else they will struggle again.
just relaunching a manza with a shorter tail and better dashboard wont be enough. Remember how many times they have failed trying to lure customers with cosmetic changes to the classic safari.... Worsening it forever... That's a separate discussion though
point is after making so much noise about horizon next and taking so much time, it should have been a stunning interiors vehicle to grab the market. Only number gainer initially will be the diesel amt . After the initial euphoria dies on amt with diesel prices not going south anywhere, it will be a struggle again to maintain numbers for Tata. I sincerely wish them good luck
power ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 05:32   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
The worst things like the beige cloth on the doors are carried forward - trust me this will get dirty on the first day and there is no solution for that !!.
Later I happened to sit in Honda city after the test drive, I felt a different world altogether. I tried to find such bad finish after sitting in the car for 30 minutes, I could not find one.
Couple of things: The beige cloth can easily be cleaned by 3M interior cleaning package. Once in 2-3 months should do good.

Moreover the same can also be done at the service station. Tata has a tie up with 3M.

Comparing the City with the Zest is like comparing a normal mango to an Alphonso

Jokes apart, compare the Amaze or the Dzire.

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 9th August 2014 at 05:34.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 10:05   #247
Team-BHP Support

Tata need to get this AMT diesel even on the Bolt. Cheapest diesel automatic hatch is going to get a lot of attention.

If Tata is able to mate the AMT with the 1.3MJD, it means Maruti must be looking at this option as well. But Tata has gone a step ahead and is using the 90PS engine rather than Maruti which uses only the 75PS in Swift and Ritz.

Imagine a Maruti Swift diesel AMT and Bolt Diesel AMT.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 10:40   #248
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Many questions related to AMT product strategy are there in our minds which are already expressed in this discussion, for example 1.) Why less marketing of AMT version compare to Revotron? 2.) Why No Bolt 75 ps AMT is released along with ZEST? 3.) Why there is no Revotron + AMT combination?

My assumption is that one reason could be production constraints at Magneti Marelli.

Does anybody have any information about current state of affairs @Magneti Marelli? Are they still import AMT boxes? Or if they produce boxes in India, what is production capacity?

Last edited by Vishal.R : 9th August 2014 at 10:41.
Vishal.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 10:57   #249
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

We will know officially by 12th August, but this suggest that Tata Zest Revotron will have an ARAI of 18 kmpl & real life economy of 13-14 kmpl. If so, this will be brilliant.

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/compar...fications/5316
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 13:02   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Tata need to get this AMT diesel even on the Bolt. Cheapest diesel automatic hatch is going to get a lot of attention.

If Tata is able to mate the AMT with the 1.3MJD, it means Maruti must be looking at this option as well. But Tata has gone a step ahead and is using the 90PS engine rather than Maruti which uses only the 75PS in Swift and Ritz.

I very well remember that i saw a post on my FB (where i am following the zest and the bolt) mentioning that when launched Bolt will the cheapest Diesel AmT available in India. (Though i am unable to reproduce that picture now)
I would like to believe that this is on the cards.
madhu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 13:55   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Many questions related to AMT...
1.) Why less marketing of AMT version compare to Revotron?
2.) Why No Bolt 75 ps AMT is released along with ZEST?
3.) Why there is no Revotron + AMT combination?
Whoa! Seems the AMT is just as much the star of the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Tata need to get this AMT diesel even on the Bolt. Cheapest diesel automatic hatch is going to get a lot of attention...
IIRC I read somewhere about Bolt getting the some "Next-gen AMT", maybe just like the reasoning given for delaying the Revotron-AMT.
Quote:

AFAIK Since the basic AMT hardware & mechanism is the same, I'd believe that implementing AMT is mainly about programming the ECU on how to respond to the cars behavior in different driving situations. Its amazing how the AMT hardware tech can be made to work in a brilliant way.

Now that Tata has done it, I'm quite sure Maruti will find time to adopt a similar software program* for the ECU as TATA and implement the same in all its mass market cars (for both, Petrol K-Series & Diesel MJD's).
(*of controlling the clutch with hydraulic actuators through the programmed ECU).

IMO the war just intensified from not just providing the maximum power(BHP), torque(NM) & Fuel Economy output, but also to, the company that also provides a better programmed AMT! The competition will be amazing to witness. On one side we have market leader in Maruti, and on the other side we have a canny business house, Tata Motors, looking to win back consumer interest.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 9th August 2014 at 13:56.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 14:18   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
AFAIK Since the basic AMT hardware & mechanism is the same, I'd believe that implementing AMT is mainly about programming the ECU on how to respond to the cars behavior in different driving situations. Its amazing how the AMT hardware tech can be made to work in a brilliant way.
My only worry is they try to differentiate between the Bolt and Zest and plonk in the 75PS tune in bolt AMT.

The Zest is targetted at single car per family but the Bolt can be second/third car in the house.

If they bring a Bolt 90PS diesel AMT, that will be something a lot of people looking at second car in the house will look at keenly.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 14:30   #253
BHPian

In the past, there was a general feeling that people with less budget go for hatchbacks and people with more budget go for sedans. Now things have changed. Availability of parking space in living place, parking place in cities and driving in traffic - all these conditions compel many (like me) to prefer hatchback than a sedan. Tata should keep this in mind when planning Zest and Bolt. Lesser features or a less powerful engine in a hatchback may not be advisable.
KMohanan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 14:47   #254
BANNED

The pic of AMT gear-lever at post#3 at 1st page looks like it has been lifted straight out of a European luxury car. Fantastic. That leather-wrap and that chrome-gate! Really good.

But I would like to see AMT + diesel combo in Bolt rather than Zest. And somehow I do not like this blue-shade. With million colours and shades out there, why do manufacturers keep dishing out the same old colours and shades? At least have a unique colour which can be exclusive, like Honda CRV had a tea-green shade on 2007 CRV which was very unique shade.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2014, 17:15   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sure you are kidding. You want Tata to price a more powerful diesel car with an automated transmission and more features lower than competing brands selling with a petrol engine? Expectations are fine but this is totally off the mark.
I am thinking that it will be priced on par with its USP's (Harman Kardon system, projector lamps with corona rings etc) because Tata finally has a car that can sell on merit and not just price alone.
One can always dream, can't one? TATA is not yet Jaguar, even if they own it. Anyone who has the money will pay top Rupee for that moniker but not a TATA. It has to overcome the 'cheap' image associated with it. What they can now tap into is the 'nationalistic' sentiment but only with a good car at a good price. The 12th will once again prove how little I know about cars (or not?). :-)
LithiumSunset is offline   Reply With Quote