Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 00:10   #526
BHPian
 
mahesh_sn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 165
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
All vehicles starting from Vista refresh and Manza, need to be started after pressing the clutch.

It's a safety feature, so that kids who have a habit of turning the keys, do not cause any accident.
I have a Jan-2011 Manza QJD which does not require clutch to be pressed before cranking the engine. So, this safety feature might have been introduced in the later versions IMO.
mahesh_sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 00:22   #527
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 470
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejus_y393 View Post
Got the price list at both concorde and malik cars from Hyderabad.




This is strange. The dealer in Chandigarh showed me the price list which clearly showed that AMC is free for 3 yrs/45000kms, whereas you are showing a cost?

Can others confirm?
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 00:26   #528
BHPian
 
NST440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Jalandhar
Posts: 179
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
This is strange. The dealer in Chandigarh showed me the price list which clearly showed that AMC is free for 3 yrs/45000kms, whereas you are showing a cost?

Can others confirm?
AMC is free for 3 years/45k kms , 100% confirmed (Punjab) as i went to the showroom to test drive and i was spellbound by the refinement, build quality and suspension. Test drove the diesel top end manual version with voice command and touch system by Harman.
NST440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 00:45   #529
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 326
Thanked: 588 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
This is strange. The dealer in Chandigarh showed me the price list which clearly showed that AMC is free for 3 yrs/45000kms, whereas you are showing a cost?

Can others confirm?
AMC which is free is the SILVER pack where it covers all fluids and regular service charges for 3 years or 45000 km whichever comes first.The additional cost shown is for GOLD which covers everything except the tyres and battery for the same period.
damodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 02:33   #530
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 470
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
AMC which is free is the SILVER pack where it covers all fluids and regular service charges for 3 years or 45000 km whichever comes first.The additional cost shown is for GOLD which covers everything except the tyres and battery for the same period.
The only things which are not covered under warranty:

1. Tyres
2. Battery
3. Brake Pads

Out of the above, battery is under warranty for an 18-36 months.

Brake pads would not go bad in a years time.

So why would anyone want to take an AMC in the initial 2/3 years if normal service is offered free and till 3 years the warranty is in effect.

Within the warranty, glow plugs, shocks are normally covered.

For Ex: I paid Rs: 8662 for my Vista Silver AMC, for service covering 30k & 40k service which included everything mentioned in the service manual. I only paid Rs: 2400 for the brake pads.

So buying an AMC for the Zest does not make sense.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 02:45   #531
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

So buying an AMC for the Zest does not make sense.
Initial lot of owners better buy the AMC / whatever Tata is offering as it'll safe guard the owners who could be the ones for Tata's R&D.

Once the car settles down and the burka are sorted then the AMC taken it not should be of any great help.

Just my opinion.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 09:28   #532
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 326
Thanked: 588 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

So why would anyone want to take an AMC in the initial 2/3 years if normal service is offered free and till 3 years the warranty is in effect.

Within the warranty, glow plugs, shocks are normally covered.
Tata usually offers AMC packs for different km and duration. The Gold AMC would make sense for someone who has high mileage running and 45000 km limit is reached before three years. Another instance this GOLD AMC will be usefull is when bought along with an extended warranty. Tata has always been liberal in warranty claims unlike other manufacturers so for some one who intends to keep the car for more than 3 years or is unsure of the KMs that will be driven GOLD AMC with extended warranty will make sense.

Zest will have no service charges till 3 years or 45000km so assuming 6-7K per service it's roughly Rs 20000 discount built into the current price.This makes a superb VFM offering from TATA.
damodar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 14:36   #533
BHPian
 
Atif's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chennai.
Posts: 68
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Hi Bhpians,

I would need your expertise on few of my queries.

I have been following zest for a long time, and was waiting to get all the details after the launch. Though zest is launched, and most of the details are out, but I still feel few queries have gone unanswered or hidden by the manufacturer. So, kindly enlighten me, as i am looking to trade in my vista QJD with Zest QJD/Revotron.

1. The ARAI figure says 23 Kmpl for Diesel. I assume it could be for base XE variant as other variants are running a higher tuned version of QJD. Manza ARAI is 21.2kmpl which is technically the same engine (90HP version). So, is the manufacturer trying to hide specific details ?

2. On the Revotron engine (Though i have not test driven the engine), I have seen posts relating to same engine block as that of indica Xeta with the addition of Turbo charger. The ARAI figures of Xeta is 17.0 Kmpl and that of zest revotron is 17.6 Kmpl.
I don't see significant increase in the numbers as compared to the competition which claims ARAI of 19.1 or 18(Maruthi/ Honda), even though they are naturally aspirated engines without turbo chargers. As per tata before launch, they did not reveal the mileage figures of either QJD or Revotron and created hype as if it would be the best among the lot. Moreover, whoever has tested the revotron engines have got 8-9 Kmpl on the MID, so does that mean, the real time figures of Revotron would be same as that of Old generation indica xeta engine ?

Last edited by Atif : 19th August 2014 at 14:40. Reason: spell check
Atif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 14:58   #534
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,585
Thanked: 798 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

While considering FE numbers pls also consider the additional weight of Tata cars compared to competition. This is not to take away any credit from the brilliant petrol engines that Suzuki and Honda have
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 16:08   #535
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 6
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hi Bhpians,
Moreover, whoever has tested the revotron engines have got 8-9 Kmpl on the MID, so does that mean, the real time figures of Revotron would be same as that of Old generation indica xeta engine ?
The MID display of instantaneous and average fuel display are probably the default values, as these cars are all pre launch cars and just to hide the actual FE figures from customers before they disclose it officially.

I believe this as the true cause. This has been done by several companies in the past( not in india though) to keep up the excitement.

I expect them to be corrected in test drive vehicles available at showrooms.
vikrantpatnaik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 18:22   #536
BHPian
 
ambujlal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 228
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hi Bhpians,


2. On the Revotron engine (Though i have not test driven the engine), I have seen posts relating to same engine block as that of indica Xeta with the addition of Turbo charger. The ARAI figures of Xeta is 17.0 Kmpl and that of zest revotron is 17.6 Kmpl.
I don't see significant increase in the numbers as compared to the competition which claims ARAI of 19.1 or 18(Maruthi/ Honda), even though they are naturally aspirated engines without turbo chargers. As per tata before launch, they did not reveal the mileage figures of either QJD or Revotron and created hype as if it would be the best among the lot. Moreover, whoever has tested the revotron engines have got 8-9 Kmpl on the MID, so does that mean, the real time figures of Revotron would be same as that of Old generation indica xeta engine ?
I have a 6 year old Indigo CS petrol, one of the few on this forum and from the initial batch of Indigo CS. It has the same Xeta engine; in my ownership experience and with sedate city driving, I have never got less than 13 kmpl and on highways, easily get 15 kmpl. According to me, Tata petrol engines are surprisingly reliable. So, given that 6 years have passed, Tata would have definitely improved upon technology and it should show in better mileage.

Not sure if this answers your query
ambujlal is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 01:11   #537
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 470
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I would need your expertise on few of my queries.

1. The ARAI figure says 23 Kmpl for Diesel. I assume it could be for base XE variant as other variants are running a higher tuned version of QJD. Manza ARAI is 21.2kmpl which is technically the same engine (90HP version). So, is the manufacturer trying to hide specific details ?
Well, no idea on the XETA mileage.

Coming to the mileage on 75BHP and 90BHP version, Manza returns better in city and highway mileage than the Vista 75BHP. Yes. You heard it right.

It's primarily because :

1. VGT on the Manza vs the FGT on Vista. My friends Manza used to constantly return a 16kmpl in city mileage vs my Vista which returns a fixed 15kmpl.

2. On the highway, Manza running at 100kmph is @2000 rpm vs the Vista which at that speed runs @2500 rpm.

My Vista has given me a max mileage of 20.xx on the highway with speeds not exceeding 90kmph.

On the other hand, my friends Manza used to return an easy 23kmpl at speeds of exceeding 30kmph over century.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 10:14   #538
BHPian
 
Atif's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chennai.
Posts: 68
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
While considering FE numbers pls also consider the additional weight of Tata cars compared to competition. This is not to take away any credit from the brilliant petrol engines that Suzuki and Honda have
Yes. The Zest has addtional weight, probably 150kgs more than the competition. This again brings us on another topic !!! Why extra weight?
Is cast iron block more reliable than the aluminium block and if yes then why other manufacturers are going in for aluminium block ???.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantpatnaik View Post
The MID display of instantaneous and average fuel display are probably the default values, as these cars are all pre launch cars and just to hide the actual FE figures from customers before they disclose it officially.
on this point. So, we need to wait, to know the actual real time figures, once the zest starts rolling on our roads and ownership reports from our bhpians starts to flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
I have a 6 year old Indigo CS petrol, one of the few on this forum and from the initial batch of Indigo CS. It has the same Xeta engine; in my ownership experience and with sedate city driving, I have never got less than 13 kmpl and on highways, easily get 15 kmpl. According to me, Tata petrol engines are surprisingly reliable. So, given that 6 years have passed, Tata would have definitely improved upon technology and it should show in better mileage.

Not sure if this answers your query
My query is on both revotron and QJD, so it partially answers my query . I am really surprised to hear good things about xeta engine (Just my opinion) and looking forward to reworked Xeta (Revotron).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Well, no idea on the XETA mileage.

Coming to the mileage on 75BHP and 90BHP version, Manza returns better in city and highway mileage than the Vista 75BHP. Yes. You heard it right.

It's primarily because :

1. VGT on the Manza vs the FGT on Vista. My friends Manza used to constantly return a 16kmpl in city mileage vs my Vista which returns a fixed 15kmpl.

2. On the highway, Manza running at 100kmph is @2000 rpm vs the Vista which at that speed runs @2500 rpm.

My Vista has given me a max mileage of 20.xx on the highway with speeds not exceeding 90kmph.

On the other hand, my friends Manza used to return an easy 23kmpl at speeds of exceeding 30kmph over century.
. This is a new one, which i have never heard before. I always thought the lesser the BHP, the more mileage we get. I own a vista, and your FE figures are spot on. But, 90 BHP gives more mileage, is somthing which i am not aware of till now. I have another query based on your reply, so you mean to say that Manza returns more than ARAI Figues in real time driving conditions !!!!!!!!
Atif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 10:52   #539
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,947
Thanked: 2,828 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Yes. The Zest has addtional weight, probably 150kgs more than the competition. This again brings us on another topic !!! Why extra weight?
Is cast iron block more reliable than the aluminium block and if yes then why other manufacturers are going in for aluminium block ???.
There are no reliability concerns for modern aluminum blocks. However, I have a feeling that they may suffer higher damages than iron blocks in case of overheating. But since aluminum is much lighter than iron, this results in light weight car with better handling. This in turn offers better performance and fuel efficiency.

Coming to the question of extra fat that the Zest carries, I would say that Tata cars have always had thicker gauge of steel sheets than most others in the competition, hence the extra weight.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2014, 11:40   #540
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 484
Thanked: 923 Times
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
I have another query based on your reply, so you mean to say that Manza returns more than ARAI Figues in real time driving conditions !!!!!!!!
Probably off topic, but I consistently get around 15KMPL in city driving on my Manza which the Concorde Motors SA believes is very low. He says 16-18KMPL is what I should get in city driving.

Highway driving easily can fetch you 25+KMPL (the MID is configured to not show more than 25KMPL) depending on your driving style/speed. And by highway i refer to NH4 types not the BLR-Mysore road. My 2012 road trip from BLR to Goa to Kumta and back gave me a ~22KMPL for the complete trip.

Last edited by sachinayak : 20th August 2014 at 11:41.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent S2!!! Sedans 191 21st May 2016 09:40
Tata Zest My experience at the Pimpri Plant pankajparikh The Indian Car Scene 53 20th September 2014 10:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks