Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd October 2014, 20:07   #991
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Also can someone tell me if a phone is connected via usb, will it just charge or read as a USB device?
Yes but its not a powered USB, so it charges slowly.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:40   #992

Since it is TC+petrol you should take extra care for the engine.I ll recommend a strict idling of 30s before running and 1m idling after running(because it will in power band even with light foot,since it is a petrol it will generate more heat). After all a turbo-petrol needs well care.TC of it and it will yield you much

Last edited by tikku.dk : 3rd October 2014 at 21:57. Reason: Wrongly quoted
tikku.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 10:27   #993
BHPian

Default Tata Zest : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikku.dk View Post
Since it is TC+petrol you should take extra care for the engine.I ll recommend a strict idling of 30s before running and 1m idling after running(because it will in power band even with light foot,since it is a petrol it will generate more heat). After all a turbo-petrol needs well care.TC of it and it will yield you much

The car ECU idles the TC after stopping automatically. Saw this happen with the new car my friend bought. Also confirmed with a friend who is with Tata.
So if you turn off the car after a particular time or temperature (don't know the exact algorithm) you will hear the coolant still circulate (engine idles for 30 seconds or so). Saw it for the first time.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 14:44   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
On another note, a friend in office recently got the Zest. He has replaced the low beams (Halogens) with HID's and the car looks smashing. The projectors look perfect!

He said they were Philips HID's which came with the full kit so no wire cutting/replacements needed.
Bro could you please elaborate what you meant by HID's which came with the full kit? What extra charges approx? I recall not finding the same in the Zest official accessories list! Many thanks!

Also I was informed that the infotainment system can play videos if the car is not started! In the top trim! May be someone can check it out!

Last edited by arindam_xeta : 4th October 2014 at 14:50.
arindam_xeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 16:07   #995
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindam_xeta View Post
Bro could you please elaborate what you meant by HID's which came with the full kit? What extra charges approx? I recall not finding the same in the Zest official accessories list! Many thanks!

Also I was informed that the infotainment system can play videos if the car is not started! In the top trim! May be someone can check it out!
Cool...I bought the xt. Will check it once I get home and update. Never tried it though.
bullet_chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 17:26   #996
BHPian

Day before yesterday, enroute Dharmasthala at the Shiradi Ghat road I came across 2 Zest's.

The road was terrible and I MUST say they were managing quite well on those bad roads. My Linea has 185mm Ground Clearance and I was just about managing, dunno how they driving so bravely asif the car wouldn't scrape (Zest has 170mm GC).

Also, both were quite zippy too (not rash, but yet at driven at a pace), & being driven well. Couldn't notice whether they were petrol or diesel.

Edit :
PS : Dear new owners, how would you rate your Zest wrt handling?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th October 2014 at 17:40.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 17:42   #997
BANNED

@grammarnazi:

I have noticed this too, Zest clears really high bump that are a problem with my Aveo & Uno, I think the shorter wheelbase & the high boot helps.

Zest is very peppy in handling, I have a petrol XT, steering is very nimble & gear also slots quite well. I still havent pushed the pedal beyond 60 kmph, waiting to hit 500 kms before I do that
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 18:41   #998

Can we fit GPS system to the existing infotainment that comes with Zest, any views on this and also how to upgrade this infotain system to play videos also
anilkumarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 21:06   #999
BHPian

Hey...did anyone think of connecting the angel eyes with DRLs?
Old 4th October 2014, 22:26   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
@grammarnazi:

I have noticed this too, Zest clears really high bump that are a problem with my Aveo & Uno, I think the shorter wheelbase & the high boot helps.

Zest is very peppy in handling, I have a petrol XT, steering is very nimble & gear also slots quite well. I still havent pushed the pedal beyond 60 kmph, waiting to hit 500 kms before I do that
Hi Surya,
I took a TD of both petrol and diesel today, and found the gear knob vibrating a lot, more in diesel though, are you experiencing any such vibrations on gear knob. I need your advise, as I am planning to book a revotron xt. Kindly throw some light on realtime FE figures as well. Thanks.
Atif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 22:45   #1001
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
I took a TD of both petrol and diesel today, and found the gear knob vibrating a lot, more in diesel though, are you experiencing any such vibrations on gear knob. I need your advise, as I am planning to book a revotron xt. Kindly throw some light on realtime FE figures as well. Thanks.
I dont have any vibrations on the gearknob so far, I didnt notice this even during my TD though several others have. I have only done 200 kms so far & havent measured FE properly, the MID shows just 8.5 kmpl. My SA expects me to get 13 in real life in Mumbai traffic.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 00:02   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hi Surya,
Hi Atif,
I didn't notice any uncalled for vibrations either. I've test driven both petrol and diesel versions. I noticed a slight noise in the steering wheel but that was specific to the diesel TD vehicle.
arindam_xeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 12:02   #1003
BHPian

Gear knob vibrations are pretty much there and I do not know why. Also it seems the gear lever is not slotted properly until the car speeds up and then it becomes firm
Old 7th October 2014, 11:24   #1004
BHPian

I read Ciaz review uploaded by Aditya and I am disappointed by Maruti's approach. Same underpowered engines from lower class, similar boring Maruti interiors, steering, lack of features like DRLs, cruise control for a sedan of C2 class, no cladding for boot lid etc.

TATA can seriously compete here. Plonking Zest's interiors, engine and overall refinement to Manza, adding few more features for C2 class; and pricing it below Ciaz will be a stellar product.

I am quite raged by Maruti's approach of taking Indian customers for a ride as they trust brand Maruti.
StepUP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 11:42   #1005

The interiors are really good. Tata's have done great improvement in the interior of the vehicle. Rest is to be seen; how the car saves Tata's position in car sales.
ronnie1985 is offline   Reply With Quote