Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 19:54   #121
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 781
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1982 View Post
Does anybody have any reliable info on the upcoming CLA.
The CLA is launching early next month (source: NDTV AUTO), placed between the A class and the new C class, hence expect a price tag similar to the A3, just 50k-100k premium over the A3. In terms of premium ness, expect the updated COMAND system as seen in the new C class, a panoramic sun roof standard, better (more aggressive) styling, but surely it will be low on practicality, compared to the A3. A powerful 181 ps petrol engine, decent mileage, and aggressive looks should set the CLA apart. Expect adaptive sports suspension as an option too.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st December 2014 at 22:06. Reason: Quote fixed.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 20:57   #122
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,459
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1982 View Post
Does anybody have any reliable info on the upcoming CLA.
As my brother has shortlisted the A3 petrol.
On road is approx 37lakhs

Shaman Motors has informed me CLA will 100% be launched in feb 2015 and approx on road would be 45 - 46 lakhs and would also have a 2litre petrol.

So makes me think what more would mercedes offer to justify the premium over A3?

Or should he not think about the CLA and go ahead with the A3?
45-46 lakhs for the CLA sounds unreal. The C-Class C200 was recently launched for 40.9 lakhs. At the max, I expect the top end of CLA 200 to be priced on par (or below) with the GLA i.e.; in the vicinity of 35 lakhs.

Is it better than the A3 - that depends on your brother's preference. CLA is more stylish, while A3 has its understated elegance. Both don't score much on practicality, though I find the A3 slightly better in comparison.

Of the two, I recommend the A3
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 23:30   #123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 89
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

thanks for the info guys..
A3 2litre puts out 180hp and 250nm; similar to what the 2litre petrol GLA
I just hope the CLA does not come with a detuned engine like they did to the A class.

if you say priced similar to GLA it would be 45 on road mumbai.. 35 ex showroom.
Thats what the current GLA petrol is retailing at.

For it to be similar to the A3 pricing it needs to be around 27 -28ex showroom.
Given that the new C starts at 41 ex showroom mumbai i doubt the CLA would be starting at more than 12 lakhs cheaper than the C..

Last edited by nik1982 : 1st December 2014 at 23:32. Reason: spelling
nik1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 23:51   #124
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 781
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1982 View Post
thanks for the info guys..
A3 2litre puts out 180hp and 250nm; similar to what the 2litre petrol GLA
I just hope the CLA does not come with a detuned engine like they did to the A class.

if you say priced similar to GLA it would be 45 on road mumbai.. 35 ex showroom.
Thats what the current GLA petrol is retailing at.

For it to be similar to the A3 pricing it needs to be around 27 -28ex showroom.
Given that the new C starts at 41 ex showroom mumbai i doubt the CLA would be starting at more than 12 lakhs cheaper than the C..

1) The A3 40 TFSI is a 1.8 litre 4 cyl engine, not a 2.0, with 180 PS and 250 NM torque. The A class A180 comes with a 1.6 L petrol if I am correct, and 122 ps power, which is way lower than the '200' models of the C and E class. The GLA comes with the 2.0 litre petrol 180 ps and 300 torques. The CLA 200 will definitely be as powerful, and as the C-200 and also the E-200. But given the 7-Gtronic transmission in the Mercs, which is quite lazy in its ways, the Audi is definitely more fun to drive with the S-tronic DSG.

2) How the hell does taxes add up to almost 10 lacs in Mumbai? That's insane!

3) All experts do expect the prices to begin at about 24-25 lacs ex showroom. But let's say they come only with a top spec variant then it will be priced say 28-29 lacs ex showroom for a 35-36 lacs on road price, undercutting the C-200 by at least a huge 10 lacs. These days even Superb petrol and diesel variants have a price gap of 3-4 lacs in the ex showroom prices depending on different cities. So consider 10-12 lacs to be a norm separating two different segments altogether.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 1st December 2014 at 23:55.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2014, 01:16   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 89
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

sorry yes its 1.8litre.

Yup taxes + registration + octroi + insurance works out to almost 10 big ones.
Its kinda ironical that we feel India now has a lot more options but actually does not seem so.
Started with the skoda RS in 2006 moved to chevy cruze in 2009. both cars fun to drive good VFM and great features especially cruze when it was launched.
Always thought next upgrade would be c / 3 series / volvo / audi
but its like buying almost 3 chevy's for the price of one of these.

Somehow my mind tells me since re sale value is not what we looking for the volvo s60 especially with the new engines and 8speed transmission is worth bargaining for.

But If what you say on the pricing is correct it would be prudent to wait for 4-6 weeks to see what the pricing looks like
GLA petrol 2litre 45 on road. CLA petrol 2litre 35 on road seems a bit optimistic though. i have a feeling it would be closer to 40.
Hope i am wrong.

Last edited by nik1982 : 2nd December 2014 at 01:29. Reason: spelling
nik1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 14:40   #126
BHPian
 
rahulsharma2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MH03
Posts: 154
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Dear GTO,

Need your valued advice. I am about to buy myself an Audi A3. I am getting the Premium Plus variant Petrol and Diesel both at almost the same price (after discounts) (2 TDI and 1.8 TFSI).

I am in a dilemma whether to buy the Petrol or Diesel ever since I read the fuel adulteration blunders that a couple of guys faced in their AUDI A6 TDI and they had to cough up big amounts to get their cars back on track. Is the 2.0 TDI engine so prone to low fuel quality?

You have said in the past that European Diesels are far tougher than European Petrols. How will the 1.8 Engine fare in the long run?

I am getting extended 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on the both the cars.

My usage would be about 1 lakh kilometers in and around Mumbai over a period of 5 years. Which engine do you suggest from easy maintenance point of view?


Thanks
Rahul Sharma
rahulsharma2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 01:10   #127
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 781
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

Depends on your style of driving. If you want to experience silky smooth power and engine behavior then pls go for the 40 TSI model. It is more powerful, somewhat frugal and super refined, read quiet, and transforms into the perfect noise making menace machine on demand. TSI is better to drive in the city as well due to lighter weight and better , more early on delivery of torque. Maintenance wise I think Audi will be smart enough to price their maintenance packs at par for both engine options. TDI is a tank, enough said. You'll get better range from the small tank and overtaking will be fun on highways. But 6 spd dsg is little bit sluggish in my opinion compared to the 7 spd dsg in the petrol, that's my personal opinion. Take back to back test drive of both and you'll notice torque steer in TSI. If they cost same it makes economic sense to buy the diesel, but seeing fuel prices get closer to each other every day, I would simply go for the TSI and make the most of the (may be) remaining fossil fuels on earth

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 26th December 2014 at 01:12.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 09:49   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,181
Thanked: 65,471 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
I am getting the Premium Plus variant Petrol and Diesel both at almost the same price (after discounts) (2 TDI and 1.8 TFSI).
Both are extremely competent motors. While diesels are usually the superior with European cars, it's not necessarily the case with the A3 / Octavia due to their explosive 1.8L TSI.

That said, 20000 kms / year (1 lakh over 5 years) is quite a lot of running. In most cases, the projected running is underestimated, and you'll probably end up doing 1.25 lakh kms in this time. I would recommend the diesel because it'll be more fuel-efficient, robust and retain its residual value better. The diesel's 6-speed DSG has also proven more reliable. The diesel is just a better workhorse.

Quote:
Is the 2.0 TDI engine so prone to low fuel quality?
Not really. It's the same engine running in thousands of Jettas, Superbs etc.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2014, 22:25   #129
BHPian
 
rahulsharma2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MH03
Posts: 154
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

After much thought and calculations I have booked myself an Audi A3 40 TSFI

Reasons being as follows:

I already have a workhorse i.e. Honda City Diesel so no need for 2 diesel cars

The general consensus was that the 1.8 TSI unit is more fun to drive than the 2.0 TDI with respectable fuel economy if driven normally.

TSI engine was more refined (actually super refined) than the 2.0 TDI

Although the TSI unit is known for Oil sipping in early days it doesnt really have a bad name in long term reliability reports atleast on teambhp

The 7 speed DSG was a gamble but a calculated one since i didnt hear of a single failure in recent times. The payoff was a more advanced and efficient gearbox than the one on the diesel variant. Its easy to maintain as well (no oil change reqd at 60k kms) Audi's optional 5 year extended warranty sealed the deal for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Depends on your style of driving. If you want to experience silky smooth power and engine behavior then pls go for the 40 TSI model. It is more powerful, somewhat frugal and super refined, read quiet, and transforms into the perfect noise making menace machine on demand. TSI is better to drive in the city as well due to lighter weight and better , more early on delivery of torque. Maintenance wise I think Audi will be smart enough to price their maintenance packs at par for both engine options. TDI is a tank, enough said. You'll get better range from the small tank and overtaking will be fun on highways. But 6 spd dsg is little bit sluggish in my opinion compared to the 7 spd dsg in the petrol, that's my personal opinion. Take back to back test drive of both and you'll notice torque steer in TSI. If they cost same it makes economic sense to buy the diesel, but seeing fuel prices get closer to each other every day, I would simply go for the TSI and make the most of the (may be) remaining fossil fuels on earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Both are extremely competent motors. While diesels are usually the superior with European cars, it's not necessarily the case with the A3 / Octavia due to their explosive 1.8L TSI.

That said, 20000 kms / year (1 lakh over 5 years) is quite a lot of running. In most cases, the projected running is underestimated, and you'll probably end up doing 1.25 lakh kms in this time. I would recommend the diesel because it'll be more fuel-efficient, robust and retain its residual value better. The diesel's 6-speed DSG has also proven more reliable. The diesel is just a better workhorse.



Not really. It's the same engine running in thousands of Jettas, Superbs etc.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2014, 17:31   #130
BHPian
 
rahulsharma2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: MH03
Posts: 154
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

One quick question

Will the TSI engine generate lower power with common petrol (91 Octane) than the claimd 180HP and 250N? And by how much? Does it blunt the performance noticeably that the difference between petrol and diesel performance diminishes?


Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Both are extremely competent motors. While diesels are usually the superior with European cars, it's not necessarily the case with the A3 / Octavia due to their explosive 1.8L TSI.

That said, 20000 kms / year (1 lakh over 5 years) is quite a lot of running. In most cases, the projected running is underestimated, and you'll probably end up doing 1.25 lakh kms in this time. I would recommend the diesel because it'll be more fuel-efficient, robust and retain its residual value better. The diesel's 6-speed DSG has also proven more reliable. The diesel is just a better workhorse.



Not really. It's the same engine running in thousands of Jettas, Superbs etc.
rahulsharma2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 13:33   #131
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 781
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

I have not tried using higher octane fuel as yet. For me, still the performance is mind blowing. This comes from me after I have used the trusted 2.0 TDI for three years with the DSG Laura.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 29th December 2014 at 13:35.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 17:24   #132
BHPian
 
urban legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: kalyan
Posts: 83
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Hi fellow petrolheads! I am currently using a Honda city automatic petrol i vtec. Monthly running is around 800 km.My cars are self driven and I love to drive. I am planning to upgrade and am on the lookout for a good driving experience.
The car should also have lots of safety features and good impact protection.
My budget is around 35 lakhs and I have short listed the following
1. Octavia tsi- I am wary about the resale value as I change my car every 3-4 years. And I felt Skoda's after sales service and spares avalaibility are not up to the mark.
2. Audi a 3 tsi. It felt too cramped. We usually have 4 medium sized adults on board and on long trips there is a lot of luggage
3. Used BMW 320 d. The seating is bit low which I don't like. And low ground clearance too. And no spare tyre!
Also the maintainence cost; Spares and insurance are very expensive for Audi and BMW. I surfed the forums and read horrible stories about faults and component failures in brand new cars of all these brands. Having used a Honda I am expecting bullet proof reliability and excellent service.
Pl guide . I am willing to wait for 6 months if any new model is coming.
Thanks
urban legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 17:51   #133
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 802
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
Hi fellow petrolheads! I am currently using a Honda city automatic petrol i vtec. Monthly running is around 800 km.My cars are self driven and I love to drive. I am planning to upgrade and am on the lookout for a good driving experience.
The car should also have lots of safety features and good impact protection.
My budget is around 35 lakhs and I have short listed the following
1. Octavia tsi- I am wary about the resale value as I change my car every 3-4 years. And I felt Skoda's after sales service and spares avalaibility are not up to the mark.
2. Audi a 3 tsi. It felt too cramped. We usually have 4 medium sized adults on board and on long trips there is a lot of luggage
3. Used BMW 320 d. The seating is bit low which I don't like. And low ground clearance too. And no spare tyre!
Also the maintainence cost; Spares and insurance are very expensive for Audi and BMW. I surfed the forums and read horrible stories about faults and component failures in brand new cars of all these brands. Having used a Honda I am expecting bullet proof reliability and excellent service.
Pl guide . I am willing to wait for 6 months if any new model is coming.
Thanks
A very different recommendation - You can't go wrong with either an Octavia TDI DSG or the All New Jetta 2015 DSG... I and a wise moderator (read Ajmat) moved from an Octavia 1.8 TPi vRS mk1 to the Jetta 2.0 TDI and aren't complaining...

But.... If you're a petrol head and don't mind the lower resale but have only FUN in mind, just pick the Octavia 1.8 TSI eyes closed, soup it up to a vRS spec from Petes, get a OE paddle shifter retrofitted - get the blue one if you will ;-)

All 3 above will set you back by 25 lakhs OTR, save the 10 lakhs on your budget upfront to trade off for the lower resale in the future.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 19:59   #134
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,389
Thanked: 5,255 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
Hi fellow petrolheads! I am currently using a Honda city automatic petrol i vtec. Monthly running is around 800 km.My cars are self driven and I love to drive. I am planning to upgrade and am on the lookout for a good driving experience.
The car should also have lots of safety features and good impact protection.
My budget is around 35 lakhs and I have short listed the following
1. Octavia tsi- I am wary about the resale value as I change my car every 3-4 years. And I felt Skoda's after sales service and spares avalaibility are not up to the mark.
2. Audi a 3 tsi. It felt too cramped. We usually have 4 medium sized adults on board and on long trips there is a lot of luggage
3. Used BMW 320 d. The seating is bit low which I don't like. And low ground clearance too. And no spare tyre!
Also the maintainence cost; Spares and insurance are very expensive for Audi and BMW. I surfed the forums and read horrible stories about faults and component failures in brand new cars of all these brands. Having used a Honda I am expecting bullet proof reliability and excellent service.
Pl guide . I am willing to wait for 6 months if any new model is coming.
Thanks
I would suggest you look at something like the Superb or the soon to be launched new Passat. Those are larger than the 3,C, etc and the Jetta,Octavia. Considering you will have 4 people in the car one of these will make much more sense than a smaller car.

Also the driving experience would still be far superior to the City that you have.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 20:01   #135
BHPian
 
urban legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: kalyan
Posts: 83
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Audi A3 : Official Review

TE=AirWind;3634018]A very different recommendation - You can't go wrong with either an Octavia TDI DSG or the All New Jetta 2015 DSG... I and a wise moderator (read Ajmat) moved from an Octavia 1.8 TPi vRS mk1 to the Jetta 2.0 TDI and aren't complaining...

But.... If you're a petrol head and don't mind the lower resale but have only FUN in mind, just pick the Octavia 1.8 TSI eyes closed, soup it up to a vRS spec from Petes, get a OE paddle shifter retrofitted - get the blue one if you will ;-)

All 3 above will set you back by 25 lakhs OTR, save the 10 lakhs on your budget upfront to trade off for the lower resale in the future.[/quote]

Thanks. I liked the Octavia tsi as it is amazing to drive. My father has a laura TDI l and k and the 1.8 tsi is much better to drive. My issue was regarding the after sales service and spares about which there are mixed opinions. And I also felt a3 is too overpriced. I can buy an a4 petrol for almost a lakh more. Anyway I m going to Audi showroom tomorrow to test drive the a3 and q3 too.
urban legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi Q3 : Official Review .anshuman Official New Car Reviews 366 7th December 2016 20:58
2014 Audi Q3 Dynamic : Official Review mobike008 Official New Car Reviews 37 20th August 2016 18:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks