Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 26th December 2016, 12:35   #2011
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Congratulations sunildn, drpudhi and vsi, on your new rides !!
Happy miles ahead!
anoop_gkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 14:13   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
, but I have never managed to fill more than 32L with 3 bars remaining. Thats my reminder to visit the fuel up. You may want to visit another gas pump and crosscheck
I had this feeling initially when i first filled it up to 40 lit. After that I've filled up at 10 different pumps in 3 different cities with the same result, so ruled that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I've filled in 50+ liters with the fuel indicator at the last bar & the low fuel light on. I managed to drive 50+ kms easily with the low fuel light on. I admit that it was stupid of me to drive with the low fuel light on, but it was a desperate situation. Demonetization and no electricity post a cyclone can do that to you.

The tank capacity, as you've correctly mentioned, is 45 liters. But it can take 50 liters easily.

Normally, as per my knowledge, there’s no standard for how big the fuel reserve is, but most of the time it’s about 10-15 percent of the overall size of the tank. So by that logic, 45L + 10% of 45L is close to 50L.

So yes, I'd say 45L is the capacity without the reserve. and 4-5 L is the reserve capacity.
I thought so too. This just makes all the fuel efficiency logs wrong by a huge margin.

I wanted to run the car dry and then fill up to the brim just to know the exact capacity of the tank, but never found time to pull that off.

I think I'm going to use 50 lit as tank capacity to calculate FE from now on. Just to get a realistic estimate.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 14:38   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
...I thought so too. This just makes all the fuel efficiency logs wrong by a huge margin....I think I'm going to use 50 lit as tank capacity to calculate FE from now on. Just to get a realistic estimate.
I've been doing that since I got the car. And as per my usage, a full tank of diesel gets me nearly 850 kms of range in the city. That's low light -> full tank -> low light cycle.

Which brings the kmpl figure to around 17. Not bad in my books. How about you?
sourav9385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 15:18   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
I've been doing that since I got the car. And as per my usage, a full tank of diesel gets me nearly 850 kms of range in the city. That's low light -> full tank -> low light cycle.

Which brings the kmpl figure to around 17. Not bad in my books. How about you?
I follow the same routine. It gives me a range of 500-600, city and highway combined. Getting figures in between 12-14. I wish it gave more though. This is still fine for a petrol i guess.
hakunabatata is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 08:33   #2015
BHPian

Respected owners,
I am in market for a hatch with budget around 7 to 7.5 lakhs (On road), currently checking out the baleno which comes as a value for money product under this price bracket.

Having driven the earlier version of the i20 petrol i am little worried if it ticks my boxes. My previous car was a palio s10 and i drive with a little heavy foot. My primary needs from the car are :

1. Fuss free and low cost ownership (low cost i mean while comparing with the palio)
2. Very good ride quality as i have some of the worst speed breakers in the city around my residence
3. 90% city driven and yes plan to hit the highways very frequently once we have it
4. Space, we are a family of slightly above average weights (wink)
5. Monthly run around 900 to 1200 (still thinking if petrol or diesel)
6. Should bring the smile on me whenever i take her for spin

Now, the elite i20 is totally out of my budget but I can't resist in giving it a try. However, the ride quality and boring petrol engine is something blocking my path. I intend to keep the car for 7 to 8 years hence don't want to regret on my decision.

Request all the owners to help me with their advice.
Abhi_abarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 08:51   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Respected owners,
I am in market for a hatch with budget around 7 to 7.5 lakhs (On road), currently checking out the baleno which comes as a value for money product under this price bracket.

Now, the elite i20 is totally out of my budget but I can't resist in giving it a try. However, the ride quality and boring petrol engine is something blocking my path. I intend to keep the car for 7 to 8 years hence don't want to regret on my decision.

Earlier this month, Even I was in a similar dilemma as you are now. I had shortlisted cars from Celerio to the Aspire/Ameo.

But of all these, only Baleno managed to feel a worthy package. I was primarily looking at Petrol, hence had to strike out some of them (Aspire/Ameo/KUV1OO).

At 7 lakhs, the Baleno Delta felt VFM, and after a test drive, I made the booking.

You also have liked Baleno & I would say go for it.

i20 is expensive, so is Jazz, but the latter feels much more rounded then the former. i20 Petrol is a strict no for me, while the Diesel is way better.

In 2014 December, My brother who was in Berlin, requested me to have a look at i20 (He had seen it in Europe) & book if it's good enough. I managed to see, drive the car & felt the car to be good, because at that time, there wasn't the "Clever & Well Engineered Jazz", nor the "Fun to Drive Japanese Premium Hatch, Baleno". So, the i20 was the Best choice at that time, Polo was good but Diesel & GT TSI were good. Not the 3 pot one.

So, after driving Petrol & Diesel i20, the Diesel one was lot better. Hence bought one for him in January 2015, he landed back in India the next month & till now he is using car, and he thanks me for choosing Diesel over Petrol despite low running.

Similarly, If you are looking at i20, go for Diesel. While in Petrol, you can look at Baleno or the Jazz (Good Discounts available).
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 10:28   #2017
BHPian

Hi All! So there's something weird with my Elite's A/C. The air stops blowing out of the vents after having driven the car for a couple of hours. I can just hear the sound of the blower, but it gets normal after turning the a/c off for about half an hour.

Enquired with some of my friends and was informed that there's frost which gets developed on the evaporator due to which this happens.

But, this is the first time have I ever witnessed this issue in my Elite i20. Have owned a couple of cars, never came across such a situation. What could be the remedy for this? It is a little frustrating during long drives.
Is anyone else facing this issue?
verma_rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 12:10   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Hi All! So there's something weird with my Elite's A/C. The air stops blowing out of the vents after having driven the car for a couple of hours. I can just hear the sound of the blower, but it gets normal after turning the a/c off for about half an hour.

Enquired with some of my friends and was informed that there's frost which gets developed on the evaporator due to which this happens.

But, this is the first time have I ever witnessed this issue in my Elite i20. Have owned a couple of cars, never came across such a situation. What could be the remedy for this? It is a little frustrating during long drives.
Is anyone else facing this issue?
Are you in AUTO mode? Can you try if that works in manual. Not using the auto mode myself because of the very chilling and blower automatic cycles.
anoop_gkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 15:13   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
.......However, the ride quality and boring petrol engine is something blocking my path. I intend to keep the car for 7 to 8 years hence don't want to regret on my decision.

I don't own one, but recently drove a Petrol i20 on a round-trip to Ooty.

The 1.2 VTVT engine is strictly a city commuter. OK-ish on highways and struggles mightily at higher altitudes. The ride is comfortable, but handling can get bothersome at highway speeds, and downright scary around long sweeping bends with the light-as-a-feather, dream-in-the-city steering needing constant corrections to hold your line.

Long story short, I'd never recommend a Hyundai to someone coming from a Fiat. You'll definitely feel nice in the car (Hyundai cars have the best interiors in their segments), but will be disappointed every time you hit the highway.

If you aren't fixated on buying a Maruti, give the Fords or Fiats another look.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th December 2016 at 12:20. Reason: edited
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 18:50   #2020
Senior - BHPian

I just came back after doing a PDI for my Elite i20 Asta VTVT.
Confirmed the VIN and the make is November 2016. Checked a few elactricals and they worked fine.
The car has come with Goodyear Assurance tyres and on checking, I could not find the week/year of manufacture anywhere on them.
Though I am not too concerned since VIN confirms a fresh make, I still wanted to know how can we check the manufacturing week/month on Goodyear tyres.

Anyone here can throw some light?
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 11:54   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunabatata View Post
I follow the same routine. It gives me a range of 500-600, city and highway combined. Getting figures in between 12-14. I wish it gave more though. This is still fine for a petrol i guess.
Still fine? Are you kidding me? I drive 99% in the city with B2B traffic and my mileage has dropped to 8 km/l. My previous car was a diesel and in that B2B traffic used to give me 15 km/l. However the WE highway especially after Andheri is in shambles thanks to the Metro work and I cant blame the car for returning such a mileage.
On highways I have managed to get as high as 12 km/l even with a heavy foot.

What is your City:Highway driving ratio? Also do you drive early morning / late nights, basically non-peak hours? Really interested to know.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 12:53   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
as per my usage, a full tank of diesel gets me nearly 850 kms of range in the city. That's low light -> full tank -> low light cycle.
Full tank to full tank will give you better precision on calculating the fuel efficiency.

For me, the bars reach half mark at around 400 to 450 kms. From there on its quick slide, till 600 to 650 kms when it reaches the last bar (with low fuel indicator on). When I fill back, its usually 38, 39 or rarely 40 lts. Average fuel efficiency get around 16.5kmpl.

BTW, 850 kms is slightly higher for the 17kmpl efficiency you were quoting. Even considering the full 45 lts, 750 kms for a tank will be more nearer to your FE.
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 13:09   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

What is your City:Highway driving ratio? Also do you drive early morning / late nights, basically non-peak hours? Really interested to know.

For the past few months, it's mostly been highway rides. That constitutes to roughly 80%. For the city rides, again i leave at non peak hours so haven't been stuck in B2B traffic that much.

Most of my drives are in the afternoon and EEH is not as crowded as it is post 5.
hakunabatata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 23:37   #2024
BHPian

Which diesel engine is better? i20 1.4 CRDI or Fiat Multijet that makes rounds as DDiS 200 in the Swift and Baleno?
rkirana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 03:46   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirana View Post
Which diesel engine is better? i20 1.4 CRDI or Fiat Multijet that makes rounds as DDiS 200 in the Swift and Baleno?
Just a correction- Both Baleno and Swift have DDiS 190 engines(75BHP with FGT).

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote