Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 4th October 2017, 00:28   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Hi guys,

I just noticed one issue, when I am shifting gears, I can feel and hear the gear lever shift (Metallic Sound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Coming to the noise, I do not think I have ever noticed such a metallic noise on shifting gears in my petrol version. There is this very slight thud noise when the gear is engaged, but I did not find it metallic.
I just checked it while returning from office. The shifting is super silent. Not even the slight thud I mentioned earlier.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 10:55   #2342
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
From looking at Petrol cars below 10 lacs to a diesel elite, thats cool.
All I would like to say is you made a great choice. Elite i20 had everything you wanted except a decent punch in the Petrol model. You overcame that by going in for the diesel, which is the popular choice.

Coming to the noise, I do not think I have ever noticed such a metallic noise on shifting gears in my petrol version. There is this very slight thud noise when the gear is engaged, but I did not find it metallic.
Thank you. I wasn't interested in the Diesel model at all, but once I TD'ed it, then there was no going back

Yes, the noise is more of a slight thud and it is not metallic. Since I was recollecting it from my memory, I felt it was more metallic.

I have couple of queries, can someone help me with it?

1. The car has done 800 kms. I am going to my native on Saturday which might cover around 1000 kms, Can I do my first service before that at 800 kms? Should I change the engine oil in the first service?
2. Is there a way to turn off the engine without turning off the ICE?
3. Can I open the boot door from the inside?
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:08   #2343

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3893546 (Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review)

Referring to an earlier post, It is not clear whether Elite I20 ABS includes EBD too. Specification of Elite i20 says ABS alone.

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Showroo...PIP/index.html

whereas the older post shows a snapshot of Creta specifications that shows ABS with EBD. I doubt highly if EBD is present.

Yes. I too beg to defer in case of EBD.
For the premium cars from Hyundai stable (Creta, Elantra & Tucson) they have clearly mentioned EBD in the feature list. But for cars up to Verna, only ABS is mentioned.
So clearly, the canny Hyundai management were probably able to read the customer's mindset and found a good way to cut cost by omitting EBD, as they guessed correctly that many Indian will overlook this and will be satisfied seeing presence of ABS.
One more cost cutting example is the single reverse light. How much it would have cost? Rs 50 for bulb, 30 for wiring and 20 for assembly? Hardly Rs. 100 per car. But that would amount to Rs. 10 lakhs extra profit per month, considering 10,000 i20 sales every month.
Salute to Hyundai Management. They really know how to maximize the profit.
anu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 14:40   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu007 View Post
One more cost cutting example is the single reverse light. How much it would have cost? Rs 50 for bulb, 30 for wiring and 20 for assembly? Hardly Rs. 100 per car. But that would amount to Rs. 10 lakhs extra profit per month, considering 10,000 i20 sales every month.
Salute to Hyundai Management. They really know how to maximize the profit.
Single reverse light has been the de facto standard in most of the car manufacturers from Western countries. Of late, Hyundai is trying to match up with European car manufacturers in terms of quality, pricing, etc. Though the driving dynamics are nowhere near the European cars, they are still trying their best to reach there. My assumption, they are trying to mimic the best practices of manufacturers in Western countries and the adoption of single reverse light is one of them. If I am not wrong, Hyundai started fitting single reverse lights even on the facelifted i20 even before the introduction of elite i20.

P.S. I am one of them who dislikes the concept of single reverse light. I own a Fiat Punto and a Ford Aspire and I would say Aspire's dual reverse lights are any day better than the Punto's single fitment.
samcan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 14:58   #2345
Senior - BHPian

My understanding is that single reverse light is due to the other one being fog lamp.
I remember Sx4 also used to have it this way, so it is not manufacturer.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 15:13   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
My understanding is that single reverse light is due to the other one being fog lamp.
I remember Sx4 also used to have it this way, so it is not manufacturer.
Yes, you are right. But the point here is not about the rear fog lamps. Manufacturers can still have dual reverse lights and place the rear fog lamps elsewhere (may be in the same tail lamp cluster or in the rear bumper). This way, we can have both the reverse lamps and the rear fog lamps. I don't know if there is a reason why many manufacturers follow the style of single reverse lamp.
samcan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 08:07   #2347

But in my view not for nothing 4 wheelers are given lamps in doubles - right from headlights, fog lamps, back lights, reflectors etc, all put in both the lateral extremeties of cars. They difinitely serve basic safety purpose.
Everybody knows the danger of a 4 wheeler with only one headlight on, coming from opposite side at night.

The reversing light may not be as important as the headlights, but still it is always better in doubles. In these days when reversing camera is becoming common for aiding the driver, reducing a reversing lamp does not make sensr. Manufacturers should not treat 4 wheelers as 2 wheelers.

If it goes like this, one day will come when 4 wheelers will be having a single headlight at the center and 2 reflectors on the lateral sides !!!!!
anu007 is offline   Reply With Quote