Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 21st October 2014, 02:15   #256
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandroidz80 View Post
The recommended tyre PSI mentioned on the door label was 33 for all tyres. Today I had to top up and found that all the tyres were about 39-40 (after running for about 2 weeks now). I corrected all the tyres to 33 but now the tyres look a little deflated and also the ride feels a little different than what it was.
It's best to stick to the manufacturer recommended tyre pressure. If you are not satisfied with the ride quality at the recommended pressure, then you can vary it by 2-3 psi on either side.

The tyres are deliberately over-inflated at the factory, and this generally holds good for all manufacturers and most models. The dealers are supposed to reduce the pressure back to recommended levels before delivering the car, but very few dealers actually do the same. So in most cases, it is left to the customer to set the correct pressure after taking delivery of the car.

The reason for deliberate over-inflation at the factory is to avoid underbody scrapes/scratches while loading and unloading the car. Cars have to climb/descend steep ramps while they are being loaded into/unloaded from car transporting trucks. Every mm of ground clearance matters in such situations, and hence the tyres are inflated to near the tolerable safety limit.

Last edited by RSR : 21st October 2014 at 02:22.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 08:59   #257
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Every mm of ground clearance matters in such situations, and hence the tyres are inflated to near the tolerable safety limit.
Couple of questions:

1. Does that mean a PSI 50% higher is actually safe?

2. Is it also safe for high speed runs on the highway? If not, shouldn't the deflation before delivery be mandatory?
i10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 10:03   #258
BHPian

Underinflating and overinflating is a separate topic for discussion.

Ideally you should not overinflate or underinflate and you can read about it in extreme detail here

Hope this helps

Cheers
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 14:07   #259
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
Couple of questions:

1. Does that mean a PSI 50% higher is actually safe?

2. Is it also safe for high speed runs on the highway? If not, shouldn't the deflation before delivery be mandatory?
Such high pressures (such as those set at the factory) would be within the absolute safety limit of the tyre, otherwise they would not set it that high.

However, that absolute safety limit is the only for the tyre - as in it would get severely/permanently damaged if inflated beyond that.

It's definitely not recommended to drive with the tyre pressure set so high on a highway run (as it can affect the steering/handling too, apart from the ride quality), despite manufacturers generally recommending a slightly higher pressure when the car is carrying a full load.

Yes, setting the correct pressure should be mandatory. I'm sure it's a part of the things that dealers should perform/check before delivery, but sadly many of them don't do it. On the ownership threads, we've had many members complain of a harsh ride when their car is brand new, and the high tyre pressure is always the culprit.

Last edited by RSR : 21st October 2014 at 14:14.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 19:30   #260
BHPian

I have booked i20 crdi asta. The dealer is telling me that I will have to take insurance from them only. They are quoting Ts 17500 for normal insurance from new India whereas I am getting quotes of rs 12500 for normal and 14500 for bumper to bumper from the same company. I have told them that I ll cancel my booking if forced. Will talk to the manager tomorrow. Let s see what happens.
manasmadaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 20:09   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
I have booked i20 crdi asta. The dealer is telling me that I will have to take insurance from them only. They are quoting Ts 17500 for normal insurance from new India whereas I am getting quotes of rs 12500 for normal and 14500 for bumper to bumper from the same company. I have told them that I ll cancel my booking if forced. Will talk to the manager tomorrow. Let s see what happens.
Write an email to Hyundai quoting dealer details. I have read many success stories where escalation to manufacturer has helped to get this issue resolved. My friend had similar issue with Ecosport when it was launched. He was able to get his own insurance by asking dealer "give me in writing that I can not have outside insurance and I have to go by what ford gives", finally they budged after escalation and discussions.
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 20:17   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Write an email to Hyundai quoting dealer details. I have read many success stories where escalation to manufacturer has helped to get this issue resolved. My friend had similar issue with Ecosport when it was launched. He was able to get his own insurance by asking dealer "give me in writing that I can not have outside insurance and I have to go by what ford gives", finally they budged after escalation and discussions.
I talked to the customer care number and was told that there is no such compulsion from the company but if u take insurance from outside you might not get certain facilities. When I asked, what facilities he replied that those will be told at the dealer level
I have already written a complaint at the customer care and am waiting for the reply
manasmadaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 21:21   #263
i10
BHPian

Quote:
I talked to the customer care number and was told that there is no such compulsion from the company but if u take insurance from outside you might not get certain facilities. When I asked, what facilities he replied that those will be told at the dealer level
I have already written a complaint at the customer care and am waiting for the reply
Those 'facilities' must be cashless insurance. Depending on who you sign up with, that could change. However since you are getting lower quotes from the same insurer, I would guess you don't miss out on these 'facilities'
i10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 22:06   #264
BHPian

Took delivery of my Sportz petrol today. The gearshift feels notchy. Is this normal? Have driven only 30 Kms today.

Also the breaks are very grabby. Have not checked the tire pressure. Will do it tomorrow.

Can't post pictures. The Team BHP android app is giving some security related error.
ckranjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2014, 23:08   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
Got the following mail from dealer(Bangalore):

No one's getting their car any sooner. At least the dealer is being forthcoming and not over promising to make the sale.
Hi,
When did you book the car, and was the dealer Advaith, They have even put up a board at the entrance of their ORR showroom, about waiting period of 3 months.

I had booked my car on 31st of August, was promised delivery in first week of Oct, that did not happen, then they said that by Diwali it would be delivered.

Last week they said the car has been allotted, when asked for the VIN number, they became totally silent!

Anyone who booked their car around 31st Aug and got their car in Bangalore?

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 09:30   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by i10 View Post
Those 'facilities' must be cashless insurance. Depending on who you sign up with, that could change. However since you are getting lower quotes from the same insurer, I would guess you don't miss out on these 'facilities'
Got an automated reply today from hyundai customer care

Dear Customer,
We thank you for writing to Hyundai Customer Care.

Please note that we are in receipt of your e-mail, we shall be advising our concerned Regional Office to coordinate with our dealer to arrange for necessary action to address your concern
You shall be hearing from our Dealer / Area Office within 3 working days. Please bear with us till such time.

In case you are not contacted within 3 working days, you may contact our Regional Offices from Monday to Friday
manasmadaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 16:10   #267
BHPian

Quote:

While Hyundai dealer would this be? The quote that you have received from new India seems to be a little low for the Asta CRDI model, may be you also need to check what the base value of the car they are considering for the bumper to bumper insurance.
sandroidz80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 11:23   #268
BHPian

Hi,

Anyone has any contacts with Advaith Hyundai Bangalore Allotment department/MIS, I wanted to know the status of my booking.

The ORR showroom Sales folks as usual paint a pretty picture.

Thanks
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 11:04   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandroidz80 View Post

To prevent the aircirulation from switching off automatically switch on the A/C by pressing the A/C switch instead of the Auto Hope this helps
But in your pic the Auto mode has got disabled now and it is working like manual air con.

Is that the case?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2014, 21:51   #270
BHPian

Update on my Elite CRDI Asta:
* Done my first free service (1500kms / 2 months) today. My ODO was at 1800. No oil change but only top-ups, washing and cleaning (no cost).
* Inquired about some cars which are called for some ECU updates or some unknown updates which we discussed before here. He said it is specifically for some VIN numbered cars and not for all. My car is not belonging to that category so no updates required.
* Inquired about 3rd and 4th year extended warranty. He said the detail is received from company and starts from 31st Oct (along with Hyundai's free checkup camp starts on same day). For Elite Diesel, the 3rd and 4th year extn warranty cost is Rs.12440 (if obtained within 90 days from purchase of car) or higher if obtained after 90 days (don't remember but need to pay extra thousands). I am planning to get it on 1st Nov (my car is nearing 2 months).
vijayk is offline   Reply With Quote