Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd January 2015, 16:27   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Then why is the Polo way behind the i20 in sales? The build quality of the Elite i20 is on par with the Germans. When it comes to looks, features, space, service & maintenance, the Germans are way behind in this segment...
The sales is only because of the various features provided in it and the Hyundai's promotion strategy. There is only a handful of people who cares about the driving dynamics, suspension, quality of the material and build quality. As you said in features, space and service Hyundai scores, but looks is subjective. I have both the vehicles. I really don't why people are still behind I20 which has recently launched with just a cosmetic make over with engine specs same as before.
nidhinsarath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 20:27   #377
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
PS: Looks wise, it may be German, but when quality, suspension and ride comfort are taken into account then, its way behind Germans..
"Quality" - I hear this every now and then. I checked both polo and Elite i20 but i couldnt find anything sub-par in elite i20 with regards to quality. Can anyone give some example which might help us to understand?
klassics45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:04   #378
BHPian

Quote:
The sales is only because of the various features provided in it and the Hyundai's promotion strategy. There is only a handful of people who cares about the driving dynamics, suspension, quality of the material and build quality. As you said in features, space and service Hyundai scores, but looks is subjective. I have both the vehicles. I really don't why people are still behind I20 which has recently launched with just a cosmetic make over with engine specs same as before.
Partially accepted. People are driven by belief which they impart themselves. Maruti is good. Hyundai is good. Swift is selling, so I will buy it. Bla Bla Bla. All these things are simple blind belief. A good quality product may turn inferior over years. It is always good to examine everything in detail and understand by our self rather than just simply listening to someone who may be biased.

I don't feel Hyundai did any big promotional strategy to sell well elite i20. They are just reaping all the benefits for the trust they have built all these years. I am simply astonished to see the elite sales numbers. A diesel hatch top end at 9.5L.... OMG!!.

I differ with you in terms of the driving dynamics, the engine performance as far as the diesel engine is concerned when compared to the previous i20. It is tuned better for linear power delivery and it is very responsive now.

As far as my observation goes, all my friends, relatives etc show more importance and get attracted to the interiors and looks. Very minimal people really understand the engine, its performance, the suspension and other most important factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
"Quality" - I hear this every now and then. I checked both polo and Elite i20 but i couldnt find anything sub-par in elite i20 with regards to quality. Can anyone give some example which might help us to understand?
Don't go by Germans or Koreans. Both elite i20 and polo are good in terms of quality. Again looks are subjective and individual likings.

Last edited by rki2007 : 2nd January 2015 at 21:10.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 22:02   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I differ with you in terms of the driving dynamics, the engine performance as far as the diesel engine is concerned when compared to the previous i20. It is tuned better for linear power delivery and it is very responsive now.
I have driven elite i20 only for a short distance. So i can't comment on the performance. But the suspension, they say its been tuned for better driveability. But it still drives like a boat. This is the major drawback with i20. During sudden braking, you will feel as though you have lost the control of the car. Its stops with a massive wobbling of the vehicle as a whole and this is not to do something with the brake pads or any other stuff. Its really scary. I have experienced it a lot with my i20 Asta CRDi 2010 model which has done almost close to 1L km till date. Even the steering feedback is poor.
nidhinsarath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 00:07   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

People are driven by belief which they impart themselves.

Maruti is good. Hyundai is good. Swift is selling, so I will buy.

A diesel hatch top end at 9.5L.... OMG!!.
+1 mate.
I just cannot convince myself to shell out close to a million rupees on a hatch back!
balajisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 12:59   #381
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Off-topic posts deleted. A discussion on the Polo's sales can continue in the Polo review, or our sales analysis threads. This one is for the i20 only.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 21:30   #382
BHPian

Quote:
During sudden braking, you will feel as though you have lost the control of the car. Its stops with a massive wobbling of the vehicle as a whole and this is not to do something with the brake pads or any other stuff. Its really scary..

On the contrary my experience was good. Just two days back when I was driving on Ajmer expressway had to break suddenly as the truck came into my lane as I was trying to overtake it ( this happened twice) and the car was stable as a rock. Didn't feel any thing out of order. My speed was consistently 100-130.
ckranjan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 00:52   #383
BHPian

When I am starting my i20 Diesel Asta after a gap to 2 days(48 hrs.), the vehicle starts & it sounds as if it is dying but picks up this sequence happens 3 times while RMP hovers between 500 to 1300 during this period. Does anyone noticed this.

Last edited by jagadeesh.b : 8th January 2015 at 00:53. Reason: providing more info
jagadeesh.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 10:33   #384

Attaching pictures of an accident that happened on NICE road, Bangalore. This happened near the clover leaf junction which has barricades. A truck suddenly swerved off it's path to enter into the gap between the barricaded portion of the road and hit the car at around 40 km/h. The car also banged the barricade on the other side because of the first collision.
Attached Images

Vikhyath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 11:39   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikhyath View Post
A truck suddenly swerved off it's path to enter into the gap between the barricaded portion of the road and hit the car at around 40 km/h. The car also banged the barricade on the other side because of the first collision.
Did the Truck hit from the right @ 40 kmph ? If so, I guess the car is lucky to have received dents . A truck, at a speed of 40 kmph, has a tremendous momentum and if it would have hit the car anywhere around its' rear, the consequences would have been disastrous.
I am happy that the beautiful machine has come out of the situation almost unscathed [ and is it due to the build-quality of the i-20] ??
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 11:59   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Did the Truck hit from the right @ 40 kmph ? If so, I guess the car is lucky to have received dents . A truck, at a speed of 40 kmph, has a tremendous momentum and if it would have hit the car anywhere around its' rear, the consequences would have been disastrous.
I am happy that the beautiful machine has come out of the situation almost unscathed [ and is it due to the build-quality of the i-20] ??
The truck was moving around 40kmph at the time of impact. The damage received might have been reduced because of the evasive action on the part of the driver who is my friend. After this impact, the car spun around 180 degrees, facing backwards and almost into the path of another truck which was moving faster. It was pure luck that the damage was limited to this. The driver was okay, the car is at the service station waiting for inspection by the insurance company.
Vikhyath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 15:27   #387
dvv
BHPian

Hello everyone,
My first post here (not counting the introduction post). I've booked the i20 Asta petrol model and made down payment for the same today.
I'm buying the car at Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai. Customer service has been good except for one or two small instances. Managed to get them to allow me to take the insurance outside. Initially they were reluctant, but after I mentioned that I've read about people buying cars with them and taking insurance outside, they were OK with it. Thanks to Team-BHP! I'm saving about 6-7k on that alone
dvv is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 22:12   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hyundai Elite i20 has won the prestigious and much-coveted "Car of the Year 2015" Award at the Bloomberg TV Autocar India Awards.

It also bagged the Viewer's Choice Award and the Hatchback of the Year Award at the same venue.

Quote:
The Hyundai i20 scooped up the top award at the Bloomberg TV Autocar India Awards 2015 held at Taj Lands End in Mumbai on January 9, 2015. Mr. Nitin Gadkari, Minister for road transport and highways was the chief guest at the event. The winner of the Car of the Year award not only impressed the critical and unforgiving eyes of the jury, it also won the heart and appreciation of the Bloomberg TV audience who voted for it to pick up the trophy of the Viewer's Choice Award too. The Hyundai i20 also swept up the Hatchback of the Year award to complete a hat-trick.
Details - ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2015, 23:20   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
Then why is the Polo way behind the i20 in sales? The build quality of the Elite i20 is on par with the Germans. When it comes to looks, features, space, service & maintenance, the Germans are way behind in this segment...
I believe there are many factors which drive sale and build quality can be just one of it(I believe it surely is not among the strongest factor in Indian market). Hyundai is doing many things right understanding the Indian market better. However, it surely does not imply that the overall build quality of i20 is on par with Polo (i20s Interior plastic and switch gear quality can be on par or even better in some areas though).
Sid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2015, 18:43   #390

Hello to All,

I have just completed 1,200Kms in my Elite, which is now due for its first service. Since this is my first Hyundai purchase, could any of the fellow Hyundai owners guide me as to which is the best Hyundai Authorized workshop in Gurgaon. Although this may be subjective, but I was hoping that there might be an overall consensus for any particular place.

As for my experience with the car so far, well…

Please allow me to first point out a few things which were my concerns up on reading in various threads within T-BHP and outside, before I had gotten delivery of my car, and what I think about them now.

1. Turbo-lag and gear ratios: Since I drive mostly in Delhi/NCR region, let me please try to paint a picture of what most driving is like, as soon as I hit the main roads – specially in Delhi. Here’s how gears change: 1-2-stop. 1-2-stop.1-2-3-brake-2-stop.1-stop.1-stop.1-stop.1-2-stop. My point is I’m lucky to reach third gear. In that, since I have so far driven car very gently so far I have had no issues with any turbo-lag. Torque does it for me, although I did wish if 2nd was taller. 3rd around 40 could be great for my setting. But I’m pretty sure it’s a pretty good gear ratios for universal use. I did one trip on the highways Delhi-Chandigarh. The car is quick even when you are gentle. There is no need to put pedal to the metal unless overtaking. The engine is naturally spirited and perky. Gives you a big car feel and gear ratios enough room to exploit the capability.

But you know, once there was an ‘L’ driver in front of me and I decided to get rid of him on a narrow road. I wanted to punch through his right to avoid incoming traffic in time, so I hit the accelerator at the right time. There, I have to say that this engine CAN put you in a tight spot. It does take time under 2000RPMs to blow any dust on the road. So one does needs to be more calculative during such maneuvers. However, driving gently, power delivery is linear and you will not notice any lag.

2. Headlights (Throw and Power): I was mentally prepared to switch them to projector head lamps whenever I could. But now that I have done some good amount of night driving, I don’t think they are an issue at all. I have the set at the highest level. On low-beam throw is about 150 yds., and when I switch to high-beam, the reflectors on the road light up to as far as I can see until the curve, say 300mts away. So well for me, headlights are not an issue and will keep them stock, unless for cosmetic reasons as and when my pocket allows. I should add that I have graduated from a Wagon-R and never used projector head lamps so do not know the difference also. It could be the case of ignorance being the bliss also.

3. Steering sensitivity: It’s not a Swift, it’s not a Figo. Steering is light and great for city driving. Technology put to its best use there.
But it just won’t give you that feel. Overtaking on highway, I will wait for those extra 2-3 seconds when I have more room to go past or get a wider escape route. It just does not give you that confidence. I do not know how much of this is to blame steering and how much on suspension. But both need improvement. Suspension wobbles during a high-speed overtake when steering is not talking to you enough is not a great thing. It diminishes the driving experience.

4. Sound of THUD from ABS: Yep, it’s there. I heard it once. It’s ridiculous. Why is this an inferior ABS setup? Why don’t other cars get that sound. It’s stupid IMHO.

5. Sound System: Not Great. JUST enough. Leave a lot to be desired. I don’t know what to do here – add an amp with a sub, or just replace the speakers, wait to put few more thousand Kms on the car before they open the dash for wiring. I don’t know what to do but speakers are not great. The only place where I envy TATA Zest for its HK setup. Any ideas please how to fix this?

6. Centre-Arm Rest: I’m 5’.8” – that makes me average, and I find it only slightly pushed back. It is however not a complaint. I am able to rest my elbow on it comfortably and change gears. It’s in fact one of the best things I like in this car.

7. Rear Space: Please allow me to bust a myth. Rear seat is not meant for 3 adults. Its 2 adults and 1 child. Dzire is more comfortable to seat 3 adults in the rear than Elite. Per my research, I thought Elite was 40mm wider than Dzire, so I was confident that folks will find it better that Dzire. Nope, not the case. I don’t know where those extra 40mm have gone. In fact it feels like 50mm narrower.

8.My favorite features of the car: Smart ORVMs. I drool over 16” alloys. I can keep staring at its rear for hours. Blue-White dash-board looks premium. Leather wrap around steering is brilliant fit and quality. Gear knob is mesmerizing. Ample storage.

Wish you all Happy Motoring.

Mod Note: Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word software (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

Click here to know how to remove FONT Tags from your post (Removing [FONT] [SIZE] and [COLOR] tags from your post).

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th January 2015 at 07:17.
HighAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote