Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2015, 16:18   #496
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 453
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkster View Post
Hi Guys,

I am observing a rattling sound from dashboard on rough roads and also in lower gears.
I haven't been to locate the exact source of this sound, but it seems to be coming somewhere from center of the dashboard (around the audio system).
What do you have in your sun-glass holder, just above the IVRM? That might be culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hello Folks, posting this on behalf of one of my childhood friend.
He is contemplating on buying the new i20 Elite Petrol....
Apart from all that others have mentioned w.r.t safety, it also makes sense to go for the variant with the reverse camera. Its one heck of a task parking this car in tight spots without that.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2015, 23:13   #497
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 6
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Got delivery of elite i20 Petrol Asta last week. I think extra money over Sportz (O) is definitely worth. Really happy with the purchase.

I checked various Smart key operations and most of them works fine.

But one check got me confused. I started the engine with push button and got off the car with key in my pocket and car in Engine Start position. My brother got into driver seat and was able to drive the car for quite a long distance even though display was showing error "Key not in the vehicle".

Is it something to be concerned about?
Heliast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 10:21   #498
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,528 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliast View Post
Got delivery of elite i20 Petrol Asta last week. I think extra money over Sportz (O) is definitely worth. Really happy with the purchase.


But one check got me confused. I started the engine with push button and got off the car with key in my pocket and car in Engine Start position. My brother got into driver seat and was able to drive the car for quite a long distance even though display was showing error "Key not in the vehicle".

Is it something to be concerned about?
Congrats on your latest acquisition Heliast and happy mile munching.

Your post on "Key in your Pocket" is quite disturbing dude and downright shocking !! I am sure some Owners/experts of Elite Asta can confirm, but I also have these questions:

1. In a similar scenario, can someone just drive away an idling engine with the key somewhere else other than in the car ?

2. Continuing from point 1, will the car kill the engine after a certain distance ?

3. If the point 1 and point 2 are "Possible", do we have a catastrophe waiting to happen on all Elite Asta models ?
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 10:33   #499
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 453
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliast View Post
Got delivery of elite i20 Petrol Asta last week. "Key not in the vehicle".

Is it something to be concerned about?
Congrats on getting home the new car. Which colour is this?

How far away did your brother drive off to?
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 11:25   #500
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,948
Thanked: 2,841 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Frankly I do not understand that how uncomfortable and tedious is a job of inserting a key and turning it to fire the engine that you need to do just once in a journey. With no offense meant to people who prefer push button start, I fear that we are moving towards cars which are more of electronic wonders rather than mechanical wonders - in words of my good friend and BHPian Shubhodeep (Revvmusic).

The question is not how far can one drive off the car without the key in pocket - The fact is that the car can be driven without the key; distance does not matter. That surely is a security flaw.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 15:28   #501
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,381
Thanked: 9,854 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Frankly I do not understand that how uncomfortable and tedious is a job of inserting a key and turning it to fire the engine that you need to do just once in a journey. With no offense meant to people who prefer push button start, I fear that we are moving towards cars which are more of electronic wonders rather than mechanical wonders - in words of my good friend and BHPian Shubhodeep (Revvmusic).

The question is not how far can one drive off the car without the key in pocket - The fact is that the car can be driven without the key; distance does not matter. That surely is a security flaw.
It is just a matter of an 'extra' feature IMO!

The happiness one gets every time the key is turned is priceless as compared to pressing a button. What worries me the most in these button-equipped cars is what if the battery conks off or if the button itself goes bust?! These cars have no key hole to use the alternate method to start it. Will jump start work? What about steering lock?!

Old is gold!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 15:35   #502
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,948
Thanked: 2,841 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The happiness one gets every time the key is turned is priceless as compared to pressing a button.
Agree Anurag. Sometimes the old school thought is more joy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What worries me the most in these button-equipped cars is what if the battery conks off or if the button itself goes bust?! These cars have no key hole to use the alternate method to start it. Will jump start work? What about steering lock?!
I think that jump start will work normally. Just that you have to press the button once the connection is done. But my concern is that you can drive the car without the key in the car. Distance does not matter. For eg. a kid in the car can accidentally put the car in motion if the keys are in proximity, though outside the car.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 15:37   #503
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,783
Thanked: 8,764 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Your post on "Key in your Pocket" is quite disturbing dude and downright shocking !! I am sure some Owners/experts of Elite Asta can confirm, but I also have these questions:

1. In a similar scenario, can someone just drive away an idling engine with the key somewhere else other than in the car ?

2. Continuing from point 1, will the car kill the engine after a certain distance ?

3. If the point 1 and point 2 are "Possible", do we have a catastrophe waiting to happen on all Elite Asta models ?
The problem is well sorted in the Grand i10 / Xcent wherein if the car is on and you step outside the cabin with the key in your pocket, a distinct audible warning can be heard on the outside and inside for a few seconds + an indication of the key-out on the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to feature in the Elite i20.

It is very much possible for the driver to keep driving the car with the key out but obviously, once the engine stalls or switches off, it will not fire back to life (without the key present in the cabin).
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 15:48   #504
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,381
Thanked: 9,854 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
I am sure some Owners/experts of Elite Asta can confirm, but I also have these questions:

1. In a similar scenario, can someone just drive away an idling engine with the key somewhere else other than in the car?

2. Continuing from point 1, will the car kill the engine after a certain distance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But my concern is that you can drive the car without the key in the car. Distance does not matter. For eg. a kid in the car can accidentally put the car in motion if the keys are in proximity, though outside the car.
I had a chance to drive an EcoSport with this button starting feature. So I had tried a few situations of risk associated with accidental starting or stealing too!
  • The key needs to be inside the cabin for the car to start. If the key is outside the cabin the button doesn't respond to input.

  • If the key is taken outside the cabin after starting, the beeping sounds alerting that the key is outside and engine switches OFF.

  • Moreover the engine will start 'IF' the clutch is pressed.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 15:50   #505
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 2,948
Thanked: 2,841 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
It is very much possible for the driver to keep driving the car with the key out but obviously, once the engine stalls or switches off, it will not fire back to life (without the key present in the cabin).
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
[*]Moreover the engine will start 'IF' the clutch is pressed.[/list]
Why the engineers have programmed the system like that? Any particular benefit out of it? In my opinion, not only this is a huge security flaw, but is downright dangerous too.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 15:55   #506
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,381
Thanked: 9,854 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Why the engineers have programmed the system like that? Any particular benefit out of it? In my opinion, not only this is a huge security flaw, but is downright dangerous too.
I am not sure how Hyundai has done it but isn't it good that the car is programmed to start ONLY IF the clutch is pressed rather than letting start by just a tap to the button?

PS: Aren't we going OT on the Elite i20 thread? Lets continue this discussion on the key-less entry thread.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 18:34   #507
BHPian
 
toiingg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 596
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

The car will not start if the button is pressed without the clutch being pressed. Only the power would come on, similar to the first turn of a key without cranking.
toiingg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 19:58   #508
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Logically, I am not able to understand how are we considering this limitation (a car with engine running, moving to a distance without key) to be "Less" secured than conventional key based system?

If you have left the car with an engine running in a conventional key based system, you definitely have left the key also inside the car (correct me if I am wrong).
A thief/kid in such case also can drive the car and even start/stop whenever he wants (as he has the key); which is even more dangerous.

In a smart key based system, he will have to leave the car, the very moment engine is turned off and key is not present, as it is not possible to start it again.
Also, in Elite i20 even if the key is in proximity, but outside the car, the engine cannot be started.

Hence IMHO, I don't see any major flaw in this system.
Although smart key is just a fancy feature; the fact that I never have to take key out from my pocket (I have a habit of loosing keys) throughout the journey, is exciting !!
kanishkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 20:17   #509
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
What do you have in your sun-glass holder, just above the IVRM? That might be culprit.
Yes, initially when I had faced this issue, my glasses kept in sun-glass holder were the culprit.
However the cause for recent problem seems to be something else.
I had removed everything and checked, but can still here the sound.
Waiting for my first service which is due next week.
kanishkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 20:49   #510
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 6
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Congrats on getting home the new car. Which colour is this?

How far away did your brother drive off to?
Color - Stardust (Gray).
I tried it today again and same thing happened. I drove around 500 m and then stopped the engine. I was not able to start it again though, as key was not detected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

2. Continuing from point 1, will the car kill the engine after a certain distance ?
In my case, car did not kill the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The problem is well sorted in the Grand i10 / Xcent wherein if the car is on and you step outside the cabin with the key in your pocket, a distinct audible warning can be heard on the outside and inside for a few seconds + an indication of the key-out on the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to feature in the Elite i20.

It is very much possible for the driver to keep driving the car with the key out but obviously, once the engine stalls or switches off, it will not fire back to life (without the key present in the cabin).
Audible warning and error display are present in elite i20 but driver can drive the car even with these warnings on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkster View Post
In a smart key based system, he will have to leave the car, the very moment engine is turned off and key is not present, as it is not possible to start it again.
Also, in Elite i20 even if the key is in proximity, but outside the car, the engine cannot be started.

Hence IMHO, I don't see any major flaw in this system.
Although smart key is just a fancy feature; the fact that I never have to take key out from my pocket (I have a habit of loosing keys) throughout the journey, is exciting !!
Seems logical. Just have to ensure that engine is stopped while getting out of car even for a second.

Fellow elite i20 owners, can you confirm if this behavior is universal or I am the unlucky one?
Heliast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent iamendangered Hatchbacks 74 19th September 2015 18:20
Elite Forum, Elite Feeling xydon Introduce yourself 4 8th June 2012 19:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks