Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2015, 13:26   #691
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi,

Something very odd happened yesterday, was coming back from work, and had taken a shortcut, the road is a bit uneven and has potholes, yes you guess it, I am in bangalore :|, I had to brake quite frequently to keep the ride smooth, all this was in a 20 m stretch, so should have pressed the brake say 5 or 6 times in some 30 seconds.. then shifted gear to 2, and had to brake really suddenly, but couldnt!! the brakes were really hard, as if I was braking without the engine running!!

There was a cow in front of me, and luckily with excessive force the vehicle slowed down, after that I tried pressing it again, and it worked as normal!!

The pull of the minimum speed in a gear, or whatever you may call it, may have dragged on the car, but definitely the brakes were very hard,anyone faced this before, any ideas why it could happen, I have a petrol sportz, done around 5k, never felt the steering go hard or lose steering power etc,this is the first time I ever faced such an issue, will take the car to the service center tomorrow and check.
Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 14:42   #692
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,650
Thanked: 1,092 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
the brakes were really hard, as if I was braking without the engine running!!

There was a cow in front of me, and luckily with excessive force the vehicle slowed down, after that I tried pressing it again, and it worked as normal!!
Well well! See SS Traveller's driving impression of my car on my ownership thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3634550 (Argento - Hyundai Elite i20 CRDI Asta)

He drove my car (Diesel Asta) a fair distance enroute to Lucknow. He writes:

"somewhere on the way, there had been at least 2 occasions when I felt the brake pedal to be too heavy, and released and reapplied the pedal to find stopping power improving remarkably".

Since I never faced this issue in 6 months of ownership, I thought it had something to do with the car not suiting his style of driving. But now, with your instance, we can be reasonably sure there is some defect in the braking system of the Elite i20. Would wait for fellow owners to declare similar experiences.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 9th May 2015 at 14:43.
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 16:41   #693
BHPian
 
ckranjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi/Ajmer
Posts: 114
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I have a petrol sportz, done around 5k, never felt the steering go hard or lose steering power etc,this is the first time I ever faced such an issue, will take the car to the service center tomorrow and check.
Regards
Shailesh


Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
But now, with your instance, we can be reasonably sure there is some defect in the braking system of the Elite i20. Would wait for fellow owners to declare similar experiences.

I have never faced this issue. The brakes are adequate but not the best. Just after you start the car you have to pump the brakes otherwise you will feel like you have lost your braking ability the first time you brake. Is it normal or just me? Also on high speeds I keep a little more distance now than earlier.
ckranjan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2015, 20:29   #694
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Well well! See SS Traveller's driving impression of my car on my ownership thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3634550 (Argento - Hyundai Elite i20 CRDI Asta)

He drove my car (Diesel Asta) a fair distance enroute to Lucknow. He writes:

"somewhere on the way, there had been at least 2 occasions when I felt the brake pedal to be too heavy, and released and reapplied the pedal to find stopping power improving remarkably".

Since I never faced this issue in 6 months of ownership, I thought it had something to do with the car not suiting his style of driving. But now, with your instance, we can be reasonably sure there is some defect in the braking system of the Elite i20. Would wait for fellow owners to declare similar experiences.
Well Aniket,

This is eerily similar, and it is the very first instance I came across, have driven the car for log distances, a trip to ooty included, never felt an issue.

Next time try pressing the brake multiple times in a very short duration, It could very well be an issue with the ABS, as I mentioned earlier that the road was uneven.

Will go to the A.S.S tomorrow to check.

Regards

Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 02:49   #695
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 10
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi,

Can confirm. This happens to me on a slope on way to my office. The pressure behind the pedal keeps increasing with every push of the brake pedal. Well I generally give multiple small pushes instead of a long press.This I reckon is linked to ABS setup in this car. Also there is a thud sound from brake when hitting it over a sharp hump or uneven road. Not happy. Also I dont think ASS will be able to resolve this. Seems like a design issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Well Aniket,

This is eerily similar, and it is the very first instance I came across, have driven the car for log distances, a trip to ooty included, never felt an issue.

Next time try pressing the brake multiple times in a very short duration, It could very well be an issue with the ABS, as I mentioned earlier that the road was uneven.

Will go to the A.S.S tomorrow to check.

Regards

Shailesh
HighAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 10:52   #696
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi,

Went to Advaith Hyundai, the service guy immediately told me that, it is how ABS works, he even tried to show me a video of how ABS works, which I have seen earlier.

I explained, I know how ABS works, and then finally he asked a technician to come along with me for a test drive, I couldn't replicate the problem, but was close enough, the technician also accepted the problem, but language barrier prevented in a more meaningful discussion.

Came back and talked to the SA again, he again maintained that it is standard behaviour of ABS models, I asked him, be it ABS or any other stuff, the thing is supposed to work when I want it to!!

He then asked me to take a test drive on a demo car, the petrol i20 elite was not available, so he asked me to check on a i20 old model diesel, and sure enough the brakes were better.

I told him , then again he went about saying, that we cannot do anything, opened the bonnet and checked the pipes for the brakes, they all seemed normal.

What I could make out from the technician's words was that petrol i20 elite on slow speeds has this issue, he was saying that is now normal with all i20 elite petrol cars.

Will be more careful at slow speeds, @Aniket can you please check with SS Traveller if he was also on slow speed, when this happened?

Regards
Shailesh
aspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 10:59   #697
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 87
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Went to Advaith Hyundai, the service guy immediately told me that, it is how ABS works, he even tried to show me a video of how ABS works, which I have seen earlier.
Well this happens in my i10 with ABS as well. I make sure that at very slow speeds I am in first gear.
vivek.ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 12:34   #698
Newbie
 
deepakr82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Reg: Additional stock spare alloy wheel

To all Elite i20 TBHP'ians, did any of buy an additional alloy from Hyundai for the Spare wheel. I've asked Trident Hyundai sales personnel and service advisors about getting a Stock Spare wheel alloy and quite frankly, they haven't been able to even answer if a Stock 16" alloy can be purchased from Hyundai
deepakr82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 13:38   #699
BHPian
 
The Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai, Cochin
Posts: 99
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Something very odd happened yesterday, was coming back from work, and had taken a shortcut, the road is a bit uneven and has potholes, yes you guess it, I am in bangalore :|, I had to brake quite frequently to keep the ride smooth, all this was in a 20 m stretch, so should have pressed the brake say 5 or 6 times in some 30 seconds.. then shifted gear to 2, and had to brake really suddenly, but couldnt!! the brakes were really hard, as if I was braking without the engine running!!

There was a cow in front of me, and luckily with excessive force the vehicle slowed down, after that I tried pressing it again, and it worked as normal!!

The pull of the minimum speed in a gear, or whatever you may call it, may have dragged on the car, but definitely the brakes were very hard,anyone faced this before, any ideas why it could happen, I have a petrol sportz, done around 5k, never felt the steering go hard or lose steering power etc,this is the first time I ever faced such an issue, will take the car to the service center tomorrow and check.
Regards
Shailesh
I have 2013 Dec igen i20 CRDI and I have never faced any issue in braking. Car has done 20k now. When I test drove the Elite i20 CRDi, I found the braking to be poor when compared to my car. One need to consider my car runs on 14 inch tyres and Elite on 16 inch tyres. The good part of the older i20 was rear disc brakes which the current Elite does not have.

I find it shocking that Hyundai has also removed the rear disc brakes of the 4S Verna. Sad indeed. I hope Hyundai is reading this post.

The issue you have mentioned above is indeed scary in real world conditions. Hope HMIL can serious look into it. Would love to hear why Hyundai India has to say in this regard.
The Hurricane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 14:09   #700
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,585
Thanked: 1,183 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Hi,

Something very odd happened yesterday, was coming back from work, and had taken a shortcut, the road is a bit uneven and has potholes, yes you guess it, I am in bangalore :|, I had to brake quite frequently to keep the ride smooth, all this was in a 20 m stretch, so should have pressed the brake say 5 or 6 times in some 30 seconds.. then shifted gear to 2, and had to brake really suddenly, but couldnt!! the brakes were really hard, as if I was braking without the engine running!!

There was a cow in front of me, and luckily with excessive force the vehicle slowed down, after that I tried pressing it again, and it worked as normal!!

The pull of the minimum speed in a gear, or whatever you may call it, may have dragged on the car, but definitely the brakes were very hard,anyone faced this before, any ideas why it could happen, I have a petrol sportz, done around 5k, never felt the steering go hard or lose steering power etc,this is the first time I ever faced such an issue, will take the car to the service center tomorrow and check.
Regards
Shailesh

This is not good. This means that the brake booster is taking more time at slow speeds to replies the vacuum . 5 to 6 times in 30 seconds is completely normal and the brakes should have the bite.

Check if few other i20 and see if the issue exists.

Mine is 2010 model with all four discs and the braking power is excellent . Never faced this issue.

Hope Hyundai is not downgrading the qualifying of core components in the name of cost cutting while providing beautiful exteriors.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 14:33   #701
BHPian
 
toiingg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 599
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakr82 View Post
Reg: Additional stock spare alloy wheel

To all Elite i20 TBHP'ians, did any of buy an additional alloy from Hyundai for the Spare wheel. I've asked Trident Hyundai sales personnel and service advisors about getting a Stock Spare wheel alloy and quite frankly, they haven't been able to even answer if a Stock 16" alloy can be purchased from Hyundai
I enquired from the service center and they quoted 7k for an alloy
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2015, 16:51   #702
BHPian
 
sidhu_hs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hisar
Posts: 58
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakr82 View Post
... additional alloy from Hyundai for the Spare wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I enquired from the service center and they quoted 7k for an alloy
I too enquired about the same and they quoted 11k here. Aim was to rotate all five tyres as the spare is full size tyre but with steel rim. I'll try asking a different dealer around here. 7k is quite sane pricing. 11k seems exorbitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
The pull of the minimum speed in a gear, or whatever you may call it, may have dragged on the car, but definitely the brakes were very hard,anyone faced this before, any ideas why it could happen, I have a petrol sportz
When you were doing such slow speeds; while braking did you press the clutch at least before the speed happened to become equal to the minimum speed for that gear? Maybe some anti stall feature?

We have Asta Diesel primarily driven by my father, but no such issues except that brakes are spongy in the morning and have sudden bite which is unsettling sometimes coming out of parking, but that's all. Once primed, brakes work fine, except that major chunk of our mileage is highway driving.
sidhu_hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 23:05   #703
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 317
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi All, Is the Hyundai Car's VIN numbers are just 17 digits? Our portal says in 19, But I've got it from my SA is only 17. Please confirm guys asap
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 00:07   #704
BHPian
 
Grand Drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 273 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi All, Is the Hyundai Car's VIN numbers are just 17 digits? Our portal says in 19, But I've got it from my SA is only 17. Please confirm guys asap
Hyundai vehicles VIN number consists of 19 digits and they are stamped below the driver seat.
Grand Drive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 11:26   #705
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 317
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Yes, Paid a visit to the dealer's yard to check out my vehicle before invoicing.

As fellow bhpian pointed out, they've removed the secondary power outlet in the front.

Though it's not a big miss, but nice to have one. One more thing is that,

New set of batches shod up with Goodyear Assurance Triplemax tyres. How good are they? Please share you suggestions.

I'm seriously thinking about changing the brand if they're not good.
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent iamendangered Hatchbacks 74 19th September 2015 18:20
Elite Forum, Elite Feeling xydon Introduce yourself 4 8th June 2012 19:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks