Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th January 2016, 16:58   #1381

Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro3hit View Post
Well, it does pain to see that a new version is launched just months after i took delivery.
Exactly my thought. Took delivery of the Asta variant 3 weeks back. DRL's with projector and cornering lamps would have been fantastic. Hope they can be retrofitted later without voiding the warranty and don't cost a bomb. I did ask about swapping the headlamps from the Active variant during the PDI but was quoted 35k per unit; i.e 70 grand for the pair
bionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 19:26   #1382

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionics View Post
70 grand for the pair
70K for the pair, i thought it was 35k for the pair.

Why you do this Hyundai
ro3hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 20:55   #1383
BHPian

Sorry to change the topic!
I need some help people.
My request sensor button has stopped working out of nowhere. I parked it in our society for few days while i was out and when I came back, it stopped working.
It's a petrol asta version of Elite i20 .
I am quite worried about it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Piyush46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 21:17   #1384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush46 View Post
I need some help people.
My request sensor button has stopped working out of nowhere. I parked it in our society for few days while i was out and when I came back, it stopped working.
Thanks
No need to worry piyush. The same happened in my i20 as well i reported it during my second service to which the SA acknowledged that it is a common problem among the elite and hyundai has already sent the dealers replacement units for the same.
Kshitizag is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 21:24   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
Did you try to adjust Fader? The simple solution to avoid the hassle of replacement if rear seats aren't filled usually.

If you are really keen on changing speakers, I would suggest you to opt 6x9 coaxials on parcel tray or MDF tray as they produce much better bass.
Of course I have tried it. I have a self taught PhD in audio adjustments. But it doesn't work. Rear speakers are just too puny and this tinkering around simply ends up in a messy sound stage. That's why I wanted similar speakers, rear and front.

Quote:
I need some help people.
Thanks
Same issue with me. Issue is so small that I have procrastinating going to service centre just for this. I am pretty sure it just needs cleaning up some contact patch.

Funnily enough, it starts working when it rains. And no I am talking of one off. I noticed this behaviour consistently over course of 1 month when it was raining in Bangalore.
needmorebhp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 21:39   #1386
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My request sensor button has stopped working out of nowhere
Even my car's request sensor did not work while it was parked in under the sky in rains. But later after it dried it resumed working. Could it be due to jet water cleaning on the body? or a fuse would have conked off and needs replacement?
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 23:09   #1387
BHPian

Thanks for your prompt inputs guys!

Quote:
Could it be due to jet water cleaning on the body? or a fuse would have conked off and needs replacement?
The car was parked in the basement (covered) parking.
Maybe jet water cleaning, because when i was out, our driver took the car for washing which he told me later.

Quote:
Issue is so small that I have procrastinating going to service centre just for this. I am pretty sure it just needs cleaning up some contact patch.
Issue may be small but the impact is big. After being addicted to the habit of just pressing a button, it is too much effort to take out the keys from the pocket.

Quote:
The same happened in my i20 as well i reported it during my second service to which the SA acknowledged that it is a common problem among the elite and hyundai has already sent the dealers replacement units for the same.
Thanks for the information. I will talk to my SA about the same.
Piyush46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 09:33   #1388
BHPian

I think Hyundai should offer new Projector headlamps for Elite i20 at a lower cost for existing owners. INR 35k is too much to spend for headlamps
ricky_1605 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 11:29   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
1. Have you used only cars with naturally aspired before this point?
2. How many kilometers you have covered on your new car?
Oh dear God! You aren't assuming that I came from a puny NA petrol car and I'm thinking of the turbo lag as a problem and complaining here, are you?

OK. With all due respect sir, prior to this I20 Elite, I have used:

Swift Vdi - 1,10,000kms - Turbo Diesel
Honda Civic A/T - 40,000 kms - NA Petrol
Hyundai Verna Fluidic - 1,20,000kms - CRDI Engine
Old model verna - 55,000kms - CRDI Engine
Hyundai Accent - 80,000kms - CRDI Engine
SKoda Octavia - 30-40k kms - Near Zero Turbo lag

This Elite i20 - 3500 kms

I can differentiate between a turbo lag and a non-responding engine situation.

Let me explain the car problem much more clearly, so that you won't get confused my problem with turbo lag.

Firstly, Elite i20 has very negligible lag when compared to other Hyundais. It starts pulling cleanly from as low as 1400-1500rpms in 4,5,6 gears. You can clearly feel that pull. And the turbo starts waking up fully at 1800~ rpm and you can feel the immediate boost there.

Even my car performs in the same way at those rpms in all gears in all speeds EXCEPT SOMETIMES.

1st Example - I was driving down on highway yesterday. Constant accelerator input (20% throttle) - 6th gear - 100 kmph - 2000 rpm. Car was going fine for few kms. Suddenly, the car gave a pulled back effect as if the fuel supply was cut off and declined speed slightly.

Then I tried accelerating - No response. Shifted to fifth gear - 90kmph - 2200rpm (Please remember i20 turbo wakes up at 1700-1800 rpm mark, if you think this is a turbo lag). Still no response. Literally the accelerator was not working until I floored it. I got the response only after I pressed 90% throttle in either gears. Also, I clearly found that - when this happens, the engine sound was changing to a little rougher side as if an injector was not working. No response to throttle inputs till 80% of throttle.

2nd Example - On the same highway drive, while I'm experiencing this problem, after multiple trials, I shifted from 4th to 5th at 70kmph and the rpm was around 1600~ mark. I pressed the throttle at 30% and as usual there was no response. Suddenly, the car has woken up as if there was a switch that turned on and started accelerating. To make sure, I slowed down in 5th gear to 60kmph - at 1400-1500 rpm and gave very little accelerator input. The car lunged forward with eagerness and the engine sound too became very smooth.

Hope this explains the situation much clearly. Please don't mistake this for turbo lag. It is not that. I can relate the same with an injector problem situation in my Hyundai Accent.

I'm suspecting there might be a clogged injector or a fuel filter. Kindly advise..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Hyundai has updated the i20 with Standard Airbags across the range. The Asta(o) also get projector lamps, DRLS & 16 inch diamond cut alloy wheels.
Taking the fight to the Baleno

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...gs-399415.aspx
Oh Man!! I just got my car 1 month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro3hit View Post
Well, it does pain to see that a new version is launched just months after i took delivery.

But i am looking at it this way, i got a discount close to 30K, i can retrofit the headlight for the same amount later. Essentially, my discount is nullified but i beat the price hike as well.

So not too worried on that front.
For me, I had to sell my swift immediately as it started giving a host of problems. I would have easily lost 1 lac on exchange if I had waited till now

So, me too not much worried on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionics View Post
Exactly my thought. Took delivery of the Asta variant 3 weeks back. DRL's with projector and cornering lamps would have been fantastic. Hope they can be retrofitted later without voiding the warranty and don't cost a bomb. I did ask about swapping the headlamps from the Active variant during the PDI but was quoted 35k per unit; i.e 70 grand for the pair
I think they are only 32k per pair. Can you corss-check with any other dealer once?

Last edited by aah78 : 9th January 2016 at 01:25. Reason: Post edited. Quote shortened, additional smiley deleted.
madhav14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 18:43   #1390

Hello Bhpians,

Although I have been following Team BHP since ages now and I must thank you all for all the insight and advice you guys have shared and which I have used while finalizing on the ownership of my cars, this will be my first post.

I just wanted to share my recent experience of buying an Elite i20 Asta (O) which could prove useful to other prospective buyers currently looking out for a premium hatch.

I was in the market for a diesel this time(I own a Swift petrol ZXi and was super happy with it) since I perceived a lot of commute daily and also loved the torque associated with the diesel machines.

My constraints:

- always go for the top end spec model with all bells whistles and safety equipment
- diesel
- reasonable boot since I missed that most in the Swift

Options I boiled down to:
- Suzuki Baleno
- Elite i20 Asta CRDi
- Polo TDi / GT

Baleno was off the options soon since I needed the car quickly and Bangalore dealers quoted a waiting period of at least 3 months. Heard that its taking longer. Also the light weight was a bit of a concern

Polo GT TDi was the choice of my heart with that amazing torque and excellent drivability. Called up the showroom and not a cent of discount offered. Also a month's of waiting time with lesser colour options than the normal TDi

Highline TDi Polo 1.5 was being offered with a lot of discounts and quicker delivery but again the service horrors of a few close friends were the major deterrent.

I didn't have the luxury of visiting the showroom and seeing the i20 in flesh and blood and test driving it since I was out of the country but thanks to all of you I had enough information about the CRDi engine and of course my better half and I were always floored by the looks of it. Since I have driven Swift previously I was a bit concerned about the drivability and the handling but I read in most places that Hyundai has improved in that area by leaps and bounds.

Finally, once back to India took a test drive, was thoroughly impressed (I had booked the Passion Red Asta (O) option while I was outside to speed up things).
Took delivery in the last week of Dec and loving every moment of driving it.

Additional accessories:
i20 Active projector headlamps with LEDs - costed me 30k for the pair (offered by the dealer) and for the information of all - the Automatic function works like a charm. No hassles there.

The stock bulbs though are a complete letdown. Wish to have HIDs fitted soon.

Also I have a query for all the i20 diesel owners - Do you face any issue while slotting into first gear. I sometime face the issue of incorrectly slotting into 3rd or it gets stuck. I thought I was not pressing the clutch completely but even after ensuring I do I face that problem. Also, once slotted into 1st there is a slight jerk (thud) forward by the car - again ensured that the clutch was depressed completely.

Niggles - AVN as reported by many has a mind of its own. Within 4 days of ownership the display has turned off once and no matter what I couldn't fix it till I completely locked the car and unlocked it. Will check with the SA at the service centre on this.

Requesting experts to throw some light on the first issue.

Please pardon any mistakes I may have committed while jotting this down!
mavindro is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016, 23:04   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavindro View Post
Niggles - AVN as reported by many has a mind of its own. Within 4 days of ownership the display has turned off once and no matter what I couldn't fix it till I completely locked the car and unlocked it. Will check with the SA at the service centre on this.
Congrats on the car buddy. Your gonna have a great time munching miles on this car .It's effortless to drive in the city with those silky smooth shifts and the light controls and the engine comes alive on the highway where you can do pretty good speeds all day long and you would be pretty fresh after a long drive as well.

On the niggle, I am facing the same issue. It gets off at times and my map got stuck while I was driving at night on a Karnataka state highway on rural Karnataka and that felt a little scary to be honest . Works fine after switching the car off and then switching it back on though. My SA had reset the AVN,but it was of no use I guess. Didn't yet get time to get it corrected again. Kindly post on the thread once your issue is sorted out.
This is one niggle which even I've had in my one month and 3600kms of ownership. I am pretty happy with the everything else about the car though, it does everything I want and pretty comfortably at that.
The only other car which I seriously considered while at purchase was the Punto , I still drool whenever I see a Punto on the road. It still has that special place in my heart. Sorry for getting OT here

Thanks
VRPAI is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 00:11   #1392

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
1st Example - I was driving down on highway yesterday. Constant accelerator input (20% throttle) - 6th gear - 100 kmph - 2000 rpm. Car was going fine for few kms. Suddenly, the car gave a pulled back effect as if the fuel supply was cut off and declined speed slightly.
I have clocked 7000km within 4 months of getting hold of my i20, and it was mostly highways. The way you explained the issue, it has never happened to me. I agree with turbo lag and hence down shifting which is common during overtaking. I even get that sudden turbo boost at around 1800rpm.But the engine feeling dead and pull back effect sounds odd to me. I recommend you get your car checked thoroughly once again.
makk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 15:43   #1393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavindro View Post
I just wanted to share my recent experience of buying an Elite i20 Asta (O)

Additional accessories:
i20 Active projector headlamps with LEDs - costed me 30k for the pair (offered by the dealer) and for the information of all - the Automatic function works like a charm. No hassles there.
Congrats on the new car!

Have not faced the niggles you have mentioned, partially because the version I have did not have AVN as an option back then. So can't really help you here.

However it would be great if you could help me with a few pictures of the retrofitted projector headlamps. Wish to see how well they are integrated and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post

1st Example - I was driving down on highway yesterday. Constant accelerator input (20% throttle) - 6th gear - 100 kmph - 2000 rpm. Car was going fine for few kms. Suddenly, the car gave a pulled back effect as if the fuel supply was cut off and declined speed slightly. ?
I too have had a few instances where suddenly the car does feel dead while shifting to a higher gear even though the engine is clearly in the turbo zone. Funnily enough this seems to be happening when the engine has been running at least for a few hours at high speeds. I could not place a finger on the pattern nor got a chance to dig a bit further into it, yet.

Getting the 30K service done in the next few days, time permitting. Let me see if it brings about any change.
vinjosep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 11:53   #1394

Hi Guys,
Heard from the showroom (FPL Hyundai, Ambattur, Chennai) that the new version of Elite I20 Asta (O)- 2016 gets projector headlamps, DRLs and cornering lamps. Has been confirmed and the price increases by 20K Ex-Showroom for these features. Anyone seen this version of the Elite I20?
Planning to book the new version tomorrow.. Cheers !!
cooltsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 20:02   #1395

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Congrats on the new car!

Have not faced the niggles you have mentioned, partially because the version I have did not have AVN as an option back then. So can't really help you here.

However it would be great if you could help me with a few pictures of the retrofitted projector headlamps. Wish to see how well they are integrated and all.
Thanks a lot! Will definitely share the pics soon.
It kills me though to see Hyundai bring the DRLs and Projector setup to the 2016 version. I missed it by a whisker.

Any inputs on the first issue I have reported? Have you faced any such challenge?

Thanks!!!
mavindro is offline   Reply With Quote