Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 7th October 2014, 16:11   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Visited the Popular showroom at Cochin today morning, but the launch was slated for evening. Hence no car on display. The SA was surprisingly very courteous!

Coming to the CIAZ, I had waited for this car with bated breath, hoping against hope that the 1.6 will be plonked instead of 1.3. My 7 year old swift vxi is due an upgrade, but I've been waiting for the right car that appeals to both head and heart. I am a huge fan of the vento/rapid twins. Love their mid-range, and the torque is addictive. Built is awesome. But, I have a heavy frame and the car just feels cramped. And chances are high that an all new vento/rapid will surface over the next two years.

The Honda City felt Chinese, lack of steering reach adjust failed to give the right driving position, and power delivery was nothing to write home about. Might as well buy a boat instead of the Verna, and the Fiesta was way too cramped. Sunny, though very decent within the city, bored me to death on highways and acres of space at the rear was useless - thanks to the highly insufficient under thigh support. Rear seat space and the 1.3 was a downer with the Linea. Loved the ride and handling on the Duster 110, blew me away but the interior became a deal breaker.

And the CIAZ was all I had to look forward to. I prayed for the 1.6, but they went unanswered. And now, to top it all, the thigh support and handling seems to be just average.

And my wait for the right car continues, with no definite plan in the horizon. What do I do?

For the CIAZ, Maruti has given us a BIG car, with BIG mileage, BIG features and BIG reliability (perceived). Will it sell? Hell yes, in big numbers for sure. They without doubt have a winner in their hands. This one in its diesel avatar is going to go head to head with the City.

It's just few including me who would frown upon Maruti - for having played smart, really very smart with the common Indian man.
RSM_TorqueZoner is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 16:16   #152
Senior - BHPian

I am a little perplexed. We had reports of 6-7k Ciaz already ready to deliver and the booking are around 12k. So, why waiting period is 4-5 months. It should be done in a month's time at most. Even people who pre booked are given more than 2 months waiting time so what happened to the ones already ready to deliver? What am I missing here?

Also, this may give Honda time to regroup and get City sales back to track. MSIL is missing a trick here.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 16:21   #153
BHPian

It is the Civic that they copied, not City. See the creases on the bumper plastic and top edge of the boot. It is the civic's rear. I don't know why people see it more like city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If I remember right from reading a report, the Ciaz design was conceptualized before the City was released. So, I don't think either of them knew their backsides were going to look similar.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 16:36   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
All, do we have a view of what the waiting period for the Zxi AT is for those who pre-booked it?
The dealers seem to be clueless on the AT's delivery. I enquired about the VXi+ AT and they said only the plant has given them no dispatch details of the same yet. While another dealership told me 5 months waiting !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 17:50   #155
Senior - BHPian

Decoding CIAZ in my own way:

C - City's features (and more)
I - Innova's space
A -Alto's fuel efficiency
Z - Zen's class

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
I agree, arrogance is a wrong word, should be something stronger!!
Malik, you seem to be hell-bent on another brand and not interested in Ciaz. Please go ahead and cancel your booking. It is really a waste of money if you buy a car from a manufacturer which you don't like. It is like marrying a girl whom you don't like. You will keep on repenting on your decision of saying "Yes" to her.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th October 2014 at 17:59.
romeomidhun is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 18:04   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Haha...I hope guys are decoding the Ciaz just for some fun. If not then the interesting question is why we are 'decoding' the name Ciaz? First of all, its not an abbreviation of anything as except for 'C', all letters are in small cases and kind of cursive.

And there are a lot of cars whose names do not mean anything except for sounding fancy! Eg. Fabia, SX4, XUV, Octavia, Celerio, Figo and many more. In case, you find the meaning, please let me know too!
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 18:23   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
It is the Civic that they copied, not City. See the creases on the bumper plastic and top edge of the boot. It is the civic's rear. I don't know why people see it more like city.
Yes, its correct. I compared both the City's and the Civic's boot with the Ciaz. And actually the design is more comparable to the Civic's boot. In fact it looks like the City's tail lights slapped onto the Civic's boot.
aviator1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 18:34   #158
BHPian

Nice looking comfortable car with no importance to safety whatsoever ... that's the formula for Maruti's best sellers
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 19:17   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
And there are a lot of cars whose names do not mean anything except for sounding fancy! Eg. Fabia, SX4, XUV, Octavia, Celerio, Figo and many more. In case, you find the meaning, please let me know too!
Sorry for nitpicking here brother and going OT.

SX4 is an abbreviation of "Sports X-over 4 all seasons ". So some thought did go behind that name!

Source is the Wikipedia page.

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 19:31   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
The SX4 is replaced, and how!

Here is a car that has more than enough power to get the job done, looks bold, dominating, and add to it the road presence.

Spot-on-pricing. Two very efficient motors as well. Oh, how can I forget 'em projectors?

Does anyone really require anything more?

Say hello to the segment leader. The tagline "Men are back!" might've not worked with the SX4, but, it should surely work well with the Ciaz.

Honestly, this car is a steal at a sub 10 lakh price. Sat-Nav and the works! However, typical Maruti traits such as the the car being ductile, reeking of cost-cutting are still evident. Oh well....

Back with a bang, and how!
Continuing my rantings.

Well, anyone seems to notice that the Ciaz is really an amalgamation of some really different cars?

A] The rear taillamps. Yes, they do remind one of the '14 City.

B] The positioning & placement of the reflectors on the rear bumper. Does remind one of the '14 Mobilio.

C] The AC Vents. Somehow they remind me of the....Yes! The VW Polo/Vento/Skoda Rapid.

D] The Diesel mill. The National engine aka the Fiat 1.3 MultiJet/DDiS200.

This really seems to be a mix 'n' match car. Sure, some parts are distinct. On the whole, is it classy? I think yes.

Will it sell? Err....I think yes. Projectors, HU et al. All this at a very competitive price. Oh well....

From a purely enthusiasts point of view, yes, it might be a bit bland to drive. But in the event of the car being a daily driver, in choc-a-bloc city traffic, am I more likely to wonder about the oh-so-taut handling?

Nope. More likely, I'll be cursing the traffic, going over some nasty swear words in my vocabrulary, cursing at every rick on the road, and of course, be worried about the next PPT presentation at work, or rather the next meeting at work, and my zero preparedness for it.

There is a reason for everything. I really do not see why we should crib about little things in a car. One must list ones priorities accordingly. If I want oh-so-taut handling, and build quality, the Linea it is.

A torque monster- The Teutons. An all rounder, well ,the Ciaz it is. A true Jack of all trades, master of none.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 7th October 2014 at 19:37.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 21:04   #161
BHPian

Let me begin repeating what few others have already stated.

- AT is available only in Zxi

- the + variants are not launched yet and will have considerable notice period even for pre-booked cases

- There is a O option in both petrol and diesel in addition to the + tuners

Now, if you read the fine print, the website says the difference between O and + is only the smart play infotainment system. Which makes me believe, the Z variants can be upgraded to their respective O variants by paying more. So a Z variant can be equipped with leather seats, chrome embellishments and 16" wheels to render it O. So, the O variant is different from the + variant and it gives an opportunity for the Z-AT to have all the other bells and whistles. Rest can wait on for the + variant to be launched in Dec/Jan.
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 21:34   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Found this rear-side pictorial comparison of the Honda City and the Ciaz on Zig-wheels.
The first picture , both the cars look so identical , that an un-informed person will find it hard to differentiate.

Picture courtsey- ZigWheels
Quote:
If I remember right from reading a report, the Ciaz design was conceptualized before the City was released. So, I don't think either of them knew their backsides were going to look similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
WOW! Debadge these cars and it will nearly impossible to tell them apart
Brother from another mother ?? Even the cross badged twins such as Sunny & Scala / Vento & Rapid try really hard to look different from each other.

Did both Maruti & Honda designer's hit a mind block simultaneously & decided to go with a combined effort

Whoever copied, such a shame !!
Attached Images

Last edited by suhas_raj : 7th October 2014 at 21:52. Reason: Corrections
suhas_raj is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 22:18   #163
BHPian

Took a test drive of the ZDi, ZXi was unavailable for TD.

First impressions:
1. You simply do not feel the exterior size of the car once you are in it. I felt at home with the proportions.
2. The interiors are nice and trendy. The faux wood inserts look great, the white illumination is nice.
3. The audio unit is strictly average. The speakers sound cheap when music is played at high volume. Bass will ruin them soon i'm sure.
4. Overall the dashboard, the instrumentation cluster, plastics all are of nice quality. Felt no where less than a City. But Hyundai still rules! The i20 interiors feel so much more plush.
4. ACC was ok; took a while for it to cool the interiors esp the rear. But much better than what am used to in the Ecosport. Where its a hit or a miss - sometimes it works and sometimes you need to shut it down and restart and even then it doesn't cool unless you set it to like a 19deg.
5. Driver seat was comfy, i'm 5'10 and i adjusted the seat closer the to steering and i was simply off. Drive for a good 4-5kms and didn't feel out of place.
6. The drive itself is a breeze!! The short throws, light clutch, easy steering all make it so much pleasure to drive over the Ecosport. I will prefer driving the Ciaz DDiS in peak Hinjewadi traffic in Pune over the Ecosport anyday. Only thing i will miss is the tall seating.
7. It doesn't pull as easily in taller gears as the Ecosport and you do have to downshift. But all in all, it was easily pottering around at 40kmph in 3rd gear. I can do that in a 4th in the Ecosport.
8. Acceleration is brisk but no drags with this one. The turbo kicks in nice and fast past 18-1900 rpm.
9. The rear view camera in the mirror was actually an irritant for me. Maybe i'm just not used to it but its got pretty decent clarity even in poor lighting.
10. The buttons for hands free mobile operation are ridiculously placed and simply not very reachable. You could get so distracted simply trying to get your finger on the right button. Maybe its not so bad once you get used to it but they arent exactly user friendly in any case.
11. The horn pad too is way out of reach. The switch gear is all the same from Eritiga/Swift i guess. It would have made tons of difference to up the premium quotient simply by using different switch gear for the Ciaz.
12. The fit and finish is not German. The display car somehow wasn't shiny shiny.
13. The projectors and the the rear tail lights look cool. I miss having the chrome on the Alivio here but maybe after market.
14. Rear seat is the place to be. Super legroom and the soft headrest, the rear shade, reading lamps all make it comfy. My wife was completely sold! We are looking for a car for her and she spends most of her time on the back seat. Rarely drives herself and she has now made up her mind and nothing less than the Ciaz will do.

The sales staff is still not sure where the (O) variants fit in. I was shown a ZDi with leather seat covers and was told that this is the top end now. There is nothing called an (O) and the ZDi+ won't be available until the infotainment system is fixed. I didn't bother arguing but i did tell him that there is a Z (O) with everything from the Z+ but the touch screen. He said he was going to find out and i said go download the latest brochure from the MSIL site.

White, silver & maroon seem to be only colors available. The brown, grey haven't made it yet. The sales guy doesn't know when and if at all these will be available early enough.

All in all, we are sold on the Ciaz so guess even if its a wait for the Brown Z(O), i think the wait is worth the money! It seemed like the most VFM even without the touch screen or the sunroof. At least at the introductory prices.

P.S. - Ecosport in comparison is a TDCi Titanium.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 7th October 2014 at 22:37.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 22:59   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Figo - It means "Cool" in Italian.
Celerio - It means "Celestial River" (Source: Topgear)
shifu is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 23:04   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I don't know how but if Overdrive can lay their hands on this Ciaz, i want one too!
Please don't forget that I am next in line. How on earth did they have this on their website?
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote