Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 3rd November 2014, 08:06   #421
KRN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Are you not considering the Fiesta?

No offence to anyone,but had ruled out the Fiesta earlier due to rear seat space and presumably low resale value (which is a bit important to me). Thanks for the suggestion, I will test drive it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Hahahaha, eerie similarity! The VW folks didn't show up for a testdrive, so haven't had the pleasure of testdriving the Tsi yet. And, since I had taken leave, testdrove the XUV to kill time.

Later in the day, went to check out the Ciaz, and since the petrol car wasn't available, the sales rep offered a TD of ertiga saying it has the same engine. The engineer in me frowned, thinking "huh, different weight, different gearing, different car", but, thought what's the harm. Testdrove with full load and I was blown away by the driveability of Ertiga. With 200 Kg lesser weight, if MSIL, do even a half good job of tuning the engine for Ciaz, I wouldn't want to write it off based on paper performance.

My 2 cents: testdrive a petrol Ciaz before making a decision. Or, you could book the diesel, and change to petrol if you like it later.

Good Luck!

I was also not offered a TD of the Vento. The dealer claims that VW doesn't give test drive cars for TSI. Wonder how VW expects to sell cars without a TD offered. I was definitely blown away by VW quality standards and attention to detail, but space is at a premium when compared to the City/Ciaz and I dare say the Vento looks a half segment smaller.

In the Ciaz TD, another aspect that I noticed was that the car was very quiet with excellent insulation. In comparison my petrol Swift feels coarse and almost industrial with all types of road noises, squeaks and rattles.

@Su-47, You should find a dealer in your city with a test drive Ciaz before you make a final decision. I am sitting on the fence now and yet to decide - My top contenders are City V, Ciaz ZDI, Vento TSI in that order (need to check out the Fiesta). I have almost ruled out the petrol Ciaz based on magazine reports quoting a lack lustre and noisy engine.
KRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:46   #422
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Just to went to a nearby Maruti showroom on Saturday and had a look at the Ciaz Diesel. Only the Diesel was available. Didn't take a test drive as the TD vehicle was yet to arrive. Was allowed to start the vehicle.

Here's my personal opinion on Ciaz after driving the Honda City CVT 2014 for close to 5 months:

Looks - I liked the straight front looks especially the grille and projector headlamps of the Ciaz. City's front looks from a slightly far distance made me feel Ciaz is better. All other angles I felt Honda City is better although rear looked similar.

Interior - The front AC vents looked more better and classic than the Honda City. Instrument clusters looked better in Honda City especially those fuel gauge meters, blue green ring combinations etc. Felt more futuristic. All other elements inside felt almost similar.

Seats - This is where Honda City scores more both at the front and back. I am close to 6 feet tall and felt a shortage of thigh support both at front and back. The front seat at the lowest adjustable position felt a bit higher than Honda City but lacked the comfort and the thigh support. Headroom and shoulder rooms are identical to the City. Like the City, it is difficult to get a correct seating position although finally I found a correct one for the City . I felt the rear seats have lesser length than the City, could not find difference in the width.

Build Quality - Build quality of Japanese cars cannot be compared to European cars. But I felt the doors of City more solid than the Ciaz, especially when closing. Not much of difference in the rear doors, but the front doors felt more solid in the City. Boot door felt the same light quality.

My suggestion to whoever looking for a family sedan in this price range and shortlisted both the above cars, should take a test drive taking your family before coming to a final decision.
Did a test drive on Saturday. Was eager to drive the Automatic since I drive the City Automatic, however the TD vehicle was a Diesel.

From the memories of test driving the City Diesel, I feel the cabin noise is much lesser in the Ciaz. Idle noise felt almost same though still Ciaz better. Seats while sitting initially felt better due to the high position but the lack of comfort soon played its part. After about 5 kms of test drive i felt the Honda City's seat much better.

Performance way below my City (can't be compared since mine is a petrol) but still with the memories of driving City diesel, felt better in Ciaz Diesel. There is a slight hesitation initially but never too bad (probably due to turbo lag) but then it's better. Clutch is a bit hard. Even if this is considered as a TD vehicle driven for about 1800 kms, it seems that clutch will go harder after certain use. The fuel efficiency displayed in MID was 14.9 kms/l initially. I did a fairly aggressive driving and at the end of my TD the MID FE displayed at 14.1 kms/l. TD was conducted in the City limits and there was not much bumper to bumper traffic Those who are looking for exceptional FE should look out for this while doing a TD.

Handling in City limits is decent enough, same league as City. Not sure of highway handling at higher speeds.

Although, I did not test drive the Automatic, on paper City is more powerful and rightly though with my experience.

I do not miss buying the Ciaz. Feel my City is better although it is having it's own niggles.

Advice again to prospective buyers, please have a test drive of both cars before you buy one.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:51   #423
Senior - BHPian

Read the review today. While Ciaz has a good road presence (have spotted couple of them till date) but with under powered engines, it is disappointing for enthusiasts like me.

Though, in city traffic conditions, things will not matter much; but highway milecrunchers just might not be too happy with not so enthusiastic BHP/torque figures.

To make Ciaz a segment champion with the current engine configuration, Maruti must have priced it lower by at least 10-20k across variants IMO.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:13   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRN View Post
The dealer claims that VW doesn't give test drive cars for TSI.
This is wrong information given out by the dealer. I have seen TSi test cars at both Trivandrum and Bangalore dealerships.

Fiesta does not come with a petrol option anymore.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:12   #425
BHPian

Enough lead time at work and an idle brain found the accessories brochure for the Ciaz
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ciaz Accessories.pdf (1.87 MB, 7856 views)
methecupid is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:00   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is wrong information given out by the dealer. I have seen TSi test cars at both Trivandrum and Bangalore dealerships.

Fiesta does not come with a petrol option anymore.
None of the VW dealers in Chennai have a demo TSI. Each one offered me to TD a Polo TSI suggesting that it matches the performance of a Vento TSI. I insisted, so Kun got me to TD their store manager's car (what I was told). But yes, surprisingly I found none of the dealers in Hyderabad too had a TD TSi. So, i wonder if VW is really not giving TSI to TD.
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 05:52   #427
BHPian

MSIL has something to cherish on numbers.

They sold 6345 units of Ciaz Vs 5120 units of Honda City in October.

Source : http://rtn.asia/d-r/9293/maruti-suzu...s-other-models

Waiting for the official sales report to be published on the forum as well to confirm.

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 11:54   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post

I doubt whether they refer to the actual sales or the # of bookings to be delivered - these bookings are against cancellation. I can go out on one limb to say 6000+ Ciaz's are definitely not plying on Indian roads right now. I spend a lot of time on Chennai roads daily - have not seen even one yet.
bhaskaracs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 11:58   #429
BHPian

Well, Maruti sure has made a strong beginning with the Ciaz. Let us see how much it can sustain this initial craze for the model which many on this forum are touting to be a flop.
I for one, like the neutral looks of the car and the features it offers. Only wish that it had a different engine for the bigger vehicle.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/maruti-suz...from=home-auto
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 12:28   #430
Senior - BHPian

I have a strong feeling that once the initial euporia goes down, Ciaz will maintain the 4.5-5K mark. This is a good no. considering that Maruti as never done too well in the C2 segment earlier though both Baleno and SX4 were capable vehicles.

Can it topple City? Maybe. But most likely both will co-exist as No. 1 and No. 2(with interchanging leadership over the months).

Verna may languish a distance 3rd.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 12:37   #431
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Well, Maruti sure has made a strong beginning with the Ciaz. Let us see how much it can sustain this initial craze for the model which many on this forum are touting to be a flop.
I for one, like the neutral looks of the car and the features it offers. Only wish that it had a different engine for the bigger vehicle.
That 1.4 k series I think would be sufficient for the lighter weight of tge Ciaz. Perhaps the peak power is not much, but I have driven the Ertiga and it never felt underpowered. It was excellent in the city and enough for highways, I never pushed it, and it kept going up n up all the way till illegal speeds that I won't mention here.
Now, just think at some 150-200 kg lesser, how would Ciaz feel. Actually nobody at teambhp has said bad words for the engine options, it is more about the soft suspension and vague steering.
itsashishsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 14:10   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing the sales figures of Ciaz, City and Maruti's compact segment cars like Swift, Ritz, Celerio and Dzire (37K units), it is the DZire who is mainly affected by the Ciaz, I guess.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 15:54   #433
BHPian

Quote:

pdma.
Still none from Team BHP has got a Ciaz on road! No initial Ownership threads. Looks like, we have to wait longer for the First ownership thread.
Seran Manian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 18:15   #434
BHPian

Cancelled my Ciaz booking last week and took the delivery of the Elantra 1.8SX yesterday. The Maruti dealer mentioned that the refund cheque should arrive in about 3-4 working days time.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 17:41   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

As per my reliable Maruti birdie, MSIL is carrying out a hush-hush recall of the Ciaz to replace a critical component in the engine bay.

No info right now on which exact part is being replaced. I am digging further.

Technicians across MSIL's A.S.S. across the country are being trained for the same and when they return to dealerships, they are/will be doing the replacement. This is for both - those who have already taken delivery and for those who have booked and are awaiting delivery.

New stocks, with the concerned part's replacement done, will arrive in dealerships by January 2015.

This is for petrol Ciaz-es only. Diesels are unaffected.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote