Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2015, 23:49   #271
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 53
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Thanks miyer. I might sound like an idiot but I'm still asking a question:-
Can I upgrade tyres to a wider one in the new scorpio. If yes then what size n which brand.
FidoDido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 08:14   #272
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
Can I upgrade tyres to a wider one in the new scorpio. If yes then what size n which brand.
I suggest you can try 255/60/17 and Bridgestone/Cooper may be available. You may want to fit the tyres and check both axles (F&R) before you drive out.

Other imported brands have higher upsizes in 17" and may not be available in India. Also ensure the temperature rating for tyres when you buy is in line with India (A rated).
Miyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 08:51   #273
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 53
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

I think the stock tyres are 235/60/17 of Bridgestone.
Would 255 be making a noticeable difference in the looks.

It's too complicated for a guy like me.
I'm a lawyer by profession and all this seems to require technical expertise.

I'm wondering that I may drop the idea of upgrading tyres all together n drive my beast from this Tuesday (when I'll take its delivery) with OEM tyres only.
FidoDido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 14:05   #274
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Dear FidoDido,
Congratulations on a good purchase! Wish you all the very best.
Hope you have already taken delivery of your beast.
I have tried to answer your questions below if it still helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
Hi All

I am buying a Scorpio s10. My intended date of delivery is 14th April 2015.
My usage would be primarily Highway cruising with little or no offroading. I wish to upgrade the tyres to wider ones immediately on delivery so that i get good exchange value of the OEM tyres. But, I found that some fellow BHP-ians facing problems with wider tyres on the Scorpio older model. I need your wisdom and help for the following:
1. Has anyone changed the tyres of the new Scorpio to wider ones. If yes, are there any problems with that.
a. Which make of tyres and which specification should be purchased by me for replacement.
b. Any idea on cost and some reliable tyre guy in Delhi or Gurgaon would be highly appreciated.

The new scorpios come with 17' tyres which are really good and wide. Would suggest do not upgrade them any further.

2. s10 being with Airbags, Should I get a front Steel Bull Bar installed on it or not. I have read at various threads on Team-Bhp that It should not be installed on models with Airbags.

Do not install bull bar as this could cause issues in case of any emergency.


3. What all other things are to be done by me.

Hope you have done a thorough PDI before delivery. Enjoy your drive is what you can do best at this point. S10 has all it needs to have.

Install a gear lock (must) and gps tracker (optional) for that additional peace of mind.

Kindly Advice. Your wisdom would be of great help to me.


Thanks in advance.
TheG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 14:24   #275
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 53
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Thanks TheG2

I'm yet to take delivery of the same.

Actually I only delayed the deliver coz a discussion started at my place over the type of sitting to be opted.
Captain seats seven seater.
Or
Usual seven seater.

As far as my requirement goes, my family comprises of me.my wife.my mother and two kids.

What do you suggest sir.
FidoDido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 15:16   #276
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 972
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
As far as my requirement goes, my family comprises of me.my wife.my mother and two kids.

What do you suggest sir.
Based on your family size, I would suggest you to opt for captain seats, so that kids will have the privilege to sit in 3rd rows enjoying their privacy and also they will be able to go their mommy or granny if they feel like by just walking through. In case of bench seats it becomes difficult for them to jump over the seats and shift places(It is recommended for the kids to be seated in their respective seats with seat belts on, but sometimes the above situation might hold good). Hope this helps
fusionbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 18:26   #277
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 53
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

True fusionbang

What I am wondering is:

1. How effective would be the A.C. In the third row coz there aren't any vents for the 3rd row.
2. Luggage might get scattered inside the cabin coz there won't be any space for that.

What do u think.
FidoDido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 18:47   #278
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
True fusionbang

What I am wondering is:

1. How effective would be the A.C. In the third row coz there aren't any vents for the 3rd row.
2. Luggage might get scattered inside the cabin coz there won't be any space for that.

What do u think.
If you do carry heavy luggage then going for the normal seven seater setup makes sense because you can fold the last two side facing seats and get an enormous luggage space. If if you are seven people occupying all the seats, you are left with sufficient space for a couple of small bags. But if you travel light mostly and its a four member drive, then a captain seat setup is very useful. Gives you a spacious feel and kids can move around too. Though it does compromise the luggage space bigtime. Doesn't leave with any space if its fully occupied. Choose as per your requirement.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 09:58   #279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 972
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
True fusionbang

What I am wondering is:

1. How effective would be the A.C. In the third row coz there aren't any vents for the 3rd row.
2. Luggage might get scattered inside the cabin coz there won't be any space for that.

What do u think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
If you do carry heavy luggage then going for the normal seven seater setup makes sense because you can fold the last two side facing seats and get an enormous luggage space. If if you are seven people occupying all the seats, you are left with sufficient space for a couple of small bags. But if you travel light mostly and its a four member drive, then a captain seat setup is very useful. Gives you a spacious feel and kids can move around too. Though it does compromise the luggage space bigtime. Doesn't leave with any space if its fully occupied. Choose as per your requirement.
I second what Storme_on_d_way says, it is purely based on your requirement as to how frequently the vehicle will be used as a luggage carrier. If it is used as people mover it is better to opt for a captain seat version of the vehicle and if you plan for regular trips with good amount of luggage, then 7 seater version holds good.

It would have been great if we had an option to fold the bench seat in captain seat setup(Hope I am not wrong)
fusionbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 10:53   #280
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I second what Storme_on_d_way says, it is purely based on your requirement as to how frequently the vehicle will be used as a luggage carrier. If it is used as people mover it is better to opt for a captain seat version of the vehicle and if you plan for regular trips with good amount of luggage, then 7 seater version holds good.

It would have been great if we had an option to fold the bench seat in captain seat setup(Hope I am not wrong)
Well to the best of my knowledgee, u do have an option to fold the last bench row down in captain setup. Also they can be removed for sure but then that does take bit of an effort and is a pain in the wrong place to keep removing/putting it back over and over again. My brother in law is an scorpio enthusiast. He had a normal side facing third row earlier which he sold off and bought a vlx with captain seat setup. Since his is a three member drive mostly, He keeps the third bench removed at all times. It does look spacious that ways.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 07:40   #281
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,644
Thanked: 3,840 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
Well to the best of my knowledgee, u do have an option to fold the last bench row down in captain setup. Also they can be removed for sure but then that does take bit of an effort and is a pain in the wrong place to keep removing/putting it back over and over again.
Yes, folding the last row is very simple. I haven't taken out the seat as sometimes I need accommodation for more than 4 people and the last row comes in handy. It is removable as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
What I am wondering is:

1. How effective would be the A.C. In the third row coz there aren't any vents for the 3rd row.
2. Luggage might get scattered inside the cabin coz there won't be any space for that.

What do u think.
You have an occupancy of 6 people in your family including you. Now, it would entirely depend on the no of people frequenting up for a drive.

There is no dedicated 3rd row AC vents. Heck, even the 2nd row AC vent isn't of much use considering the huge space it has to cool. So, it depends. But the AC unit on this new gen Scorpio is powerful than the one in the previous iteration. But still, it has lots of area to cool. Please check this out in person.

Luggage. Well, soft duffel bags can be accommodated below the 3rd row of seat and behind the 3rd row if put in vertical position. If you won't be carrying a lot of luggage and is flexible (clothes) it should not be a bother.

Didn't reply you via PM as it defeats the purpose of a forum. Please try to ask as many questions as you can on the open forum. Many people come in looking for information which may resemble yours and they can read it up here. Similarly, please do share you experience when you decide on the buy and subsequent experiences, enriching the forum and at the end, helping others which sometimes maybe me or you

Last edited by Sheel : 16th April 2015 at 07:43.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 08:31   #282
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 53
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

True sheel.

Point noted.
BTW that was my first PM to anyone.
I'm not very old to team-bhp and yes reply posted on forum helps all who come online with similar problems.

My luggage usually is of soft duffle bags or strollers.

I have asked the dealer Sri Durga at dwarka delhi to show me the captain seats version which he'll arrange today as his stock yard is far from here.

Thanks
FidoDido is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 19:05   #283
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 257
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

An eternal uncertainty regarding the storme facelift has made me consider the mighty scorpio as well. Since I have a previous version in my extended family, I have had my chances of driving it extensively. Never felt the urge to go for it because of well known reasons, so wont get into the drawbacks. Now that they have changed a lot of things for good, I wanted a fair evaluation of scorpio NG with storme and older scorpio, especially in terms of Comfort, Ride n handling and rattles. Anyone who has driven all three please shed some light and help me reach a decision. By the way, I liked the blue colour on it and getting one december 2014 S8 with black backdoor cladding ( I loved the cladding but only on blue and black) from the dealership. They are offering an excise cut of about 35000 and since the model is of previous year, they are willing to have the conversation regarding further discounts on the table.
Storme_on_d_way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 23:03   #284
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
An eternal uncertainty regarding the storme facelift has made me consider the mighty scorpio as well. Since I have a previous version in my extended family, I have had my chances of driving it extensively. Never felt the urge to go for it because of well known reasons, so wont get into the drawbacks. Now that they have changed a lot of things for good, I wanted a fair evaluation of scorpio NG with storme and older scorpio, especially in terms of Comfort, Ride n handling and rattles. Anyone who has driven all three please shed some light and help me reach a decision. By the way, I liked the blue colour on it and getting one december 2014 S8 with black backdoor cladding ( I loved the cladding but only on blue and black) from the dealership. They are offering an excise cut of about 35000 and since the model is of previous year, they are willing to have the conversation regarding further discounts on the table.
Can you find what is different between 2014 and 2015 models apart from the rear decorative. My hunch is ABS with EBD, EBD added newly. Owner manual says EBD, but if I recall website did not had ebd and I saw it in 2015?
ManuMacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 07:56   #285
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,644
Thanked: 3,840 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I wanted a fair evaluation of scorpio NG with storme and older scorpio, especially in terms of Comfort, Ride n handling and rattles. Anyone who has driven all three please shed some light and help me reach a decision.
I have the pleasure of owning and driving both, back to back. There is a marked difference between both [ride & handling] and it begins to show 50 meters into a drive. I suggest you do a TD, as you have extensively driven the earlier iteration, it will be easier for you to spot the differences.

Storme & NG Scorpio? Here is what I said.

A TD of both will help again. My thread has comparisons [pictorial & literature] showing differences amongst both. You may check that out.

Blue shade looks tempting, best of luck with negotiations & purchase
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 283 12th September 2016 11:46
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home! benbsb29 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 168 8th January 2015 11:22
Mahindra Scorpio's Photos - Scorpio Xtreme hotkar Modifications & Accessories 35 3rd March 2012 23:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks