Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:00   #436
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Want to understand the working of FATC (FULLY AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL) in heating mode. I am comparing with Maruti Suzuki Sx4 FATC . If the outside temperature is say around 20 deg C and FATC is set for 25 deg C you can feel the warm air in SX4 but in Scorpio the same does not hold true even pushing the temperature to 27 deg does not throw warm air instead it is cold. I had a tough time in Hills as the FATC was always throwing non heated air. As per service center the mechanism is to use the engine coolant heat and if that does not have enough heat, it will not heat up. I am finding this absurd and if anyone can help to understand the mechanism , it will be appreciated.
ManuMacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:08   #437
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,147
Thanked: 702 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I'm taking delivery of the S4+ 4WD today. Fingers crossed. Will follow up with my Initial Impressions of the vehicle.
roy_libran, we are waiting eagerly! Hope you can spare some time to pen a few words about your latest acquisition

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 17:48   #438
BHPian
 
chaudh2s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 179
Thanked: 218 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Want to understand the working of FATC (FULLY AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL) in heating mode. I am comparing with Maruti Suzuki Sx4 FATC . If the outside temperature is say around 20 deg C and FATC is set for 25 deg C you can feel the warm air in SX4 but in Scorpio the same does not hold true even pushing the temperature to 27 deg does not throw warm air instead it is cold. I had a tough time in Hills as the FATC was always throwing non heated air. As per service center the mechanism is to use the engine coolant heat and if that does not have enough heat, it will not heat up. I am finding this absurd and if anyone can help to understand the mechanism , it will be appreciated.
FATC or FMTC, the heater uses engine coolant to throw warm air. So if ambient temperature is low, it takes a while for the coolant to be warm enough to throw hot air in the cabin. Some FATC's are programmed to throw no air at all in the cabin, till the coolant is warm enough. But, you can always switch to manual mode, if you are too desperate to juice out whatever little heat there is in the coolant to get some warmth in the cabin.
In winters, sometimes I travel as far as 8km's (reach my office) and the temperature indicator in my car is still below the normal operating temperature. I start getting warm air only in the last few km's of my journey to office.
chaudh2s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 21:30   #439
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
FATC or FMTC, the heater uses engine coolant to throw warm air. So if ambient temperature is low, it takes a while for the coolant to be warm enough to throw hot air in the cabin. Some FATC's are programmed to throw no air at all in the cabin, till the coolant is warm enough. But, you can always switch to manual mode, if you are too desperate to juice out whatever little heat there is in the coolant to get some warmth in the cabin.
In winters, sometimes I travel as far as 8km's (reach my office) and the temperature indicator in my car is still below the normal operating temperature. I start getting warm air only in the last few km's of my journey to office.
Thanks, hope you are referring to the working on new Scorpio. I am told my service center that there is a heater coil too which should do the primary work!
ManuMacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 13:06   #440
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 131
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Took a test drive of the Scorpio S10 this weekend. Being a non-technical person these were my observations:

1. The vehicle has immense power. Easy to pick the car in 1st and then quickly migrate to 3rd or 4th gear, and just cruise around. Parking ramps can be completed in 2nd. Power is the word here. Power. And Power.
2. Swallows potholes like they do not exist.
3. The high rise seating with the 100% bonnet view, is commanding and royal....! One can easily judge the traffic and get close to other vehicles (while cutting), difficult to refrain this culture, and become a bully. Overall good handling.
4. For some reason within five minutes my right forearm started to ache. Probably am not used to this type of steering.
5. Difficult to reach the horn. Seemed too centered within. Again acclimatization to the vehicle would correct this.
6. The gear shifter has a lot of resonance and is constantly moving. Those that like to drive with the left hand on the gear will find this annoying and problematic.
7. The gear gates are notchy, but flush. You can easily tell that the gear has engaged, and there is no doubt. Coming back to the neutral row (from any gear) is soft though.
8. The clutch play is nice (first time driving a vehicle where the pedals are not floor mounted), and responds perfectly when lifted to catch-the-bite. I think this design, will force drivers (I do not), to never ride the clutch. After the clutch play, one has to bring back the foot, to rest on the floor board. Good.
9. Brakes are crisp, though somehow I felt the front brakes engage first then the rear. Again this could be car culture, coming from an i20 user perspective.
10. The factory fitted central rear-view mirror is not of much help. Too small.
11. Easy to see the back, when one is reversing, if one turns his head back a little. Was amazed at this nugget, from a vehicle of such proportions.
12. Driving seat is overall comfortable.
13. The 2nd row seating is not comfortable, and actually lacks a luxury feel, from a vehicle costing so much. I could feel the bumps and holes.
14. The last row bucket seats (perpendicular to the driver) kept making "kitch kitch" sounds. Seemed like loose bolts somewhere.

Overall: this is a commanding vehicle, and almost gives one a JEEP feel. On the other hand, adding a bit more one can go for a W4 XUV, and get better seating, comfort, and interior luxury. The exterior boils down to: Scorpio - flat, hard, linear architecture (which I love) vs. XUV - soft, contoured body lines (which take a while to realize and appreciate).

Initially I was quite scared and apprehensive to handle such a large vehicle. In 45-60 seconds I realized, this is a breeze to use, and the turning radius is not a big problem, since steering is highly responsive and tactile.

It is Mahindra Rise, irrespective of paradigm...!
asingh1977 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 17:14   #441
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,482
Thanked: 1,065 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Please can you (or any of the other experts) elaborate on the kind of differentials that were there in the 2014 4WD scorpio, and in the 2015 scorpio?
Dunno if your question was answered, however, here is the answer.
Both the 2014 and the 2015 Scorpios have open diffs, front and rear.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 17:31   #442
BHPian
 
swiftdiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: EDI/CDG/MAA/SIN
Posts: 748
Thanked: 762 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
8. The clutch play is nice (first time driving a vehicle where the pedals are not floor mounted)
Seriously, what car are you currently driving? Apart from some old Jeeps nearly all of the cars in India don't have floor mounted pedals.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 20:28   #443
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 131
Thanked: 98 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Seriously, what car are you currently driving? Apart from some old Jeeps nearly all of the cars in India don't have floor mounted pedals.
I had posted it incorrect. I realized later after my EDIT window was over.

Thanks for the correction. I drive an i20. It is as you mentioned. Thanks again.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 23:27   #444
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,729
Thanked: 1,923 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshgogna View Post
Today on World Photography Day (19th August 2015 ) I just took delivery of my new work horse and great tool for my photography trips,
Mahindra Scorpio S4+ 4WD White
Congratulations umesh. The S4+ is a very sensible choice for those of us who want a basic 4WD with safety features but without the gizmos.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 11:41   #445
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi, gurgaon
Posts: 45
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Is there any feedback on the Scorpio AT? Would primarily use it for City Driving and maybe once in a month for Highways. Mixed feedback for AT Models. Would request help and guidance.
gmalik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 12:27   #446
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,828
Thanked: 951 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
Is there any feedback on the Scorpio AT? Would primarily use it for City Driving and maybe once in a month for Highways. Mixed feedback for AT Models. Would request help and guidance.
I would say close your eyes and buy Scorpio AT. I have driven couple of them and they perform very good. In fact even better than their MT variants, in acceleration and top speed. 6-speed torque converter performs very well. Only one among 4 I drove had a busted gear-box. What you can do is, book a car and when it arrives, take a test-spin. Don't like it? Then cancel your booking and walk away. I think you may lose 5 K or something. But small price to pay than stay "married" to a car you did not like.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 13:32   #447
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi, gurgaon
Posts: 45
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I would say close your eyes and buy Scorpio AT. I have driven couple of them and they perform very good. In fact even better than their MT variants, in acceleration and top speed. 6-speed torque converter performs very well. Only one among 4 I drove had a busted gear-box. What you can do is, book a car and when it arrives, take a test-spin. Don't like it? Then cancel your booking and walk away. I think you may lose 5 K or something. But small price to pay than stay "married" to a car you did not like.
....

Thank you so much for your advice pgsagar and it is quite inspiring as well.Infact I was looking at Creta but then it was a question and difference between mind and heart. I had once 8 years back driven the Scorpio from Mumbai to Bangalore and I still can't forget the confidence I got driving the vehicle. Have owned the Chevy Optra Magnum for 6+ years now and I would want to make the right choice for a vehicle that would last me the same amount of time with minimum niggles.
gmalik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 13:39   #448
BHPian
 
purohitanuj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 102
Thanked: 195 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
Is there any feedback on the Scorpio AT? Would primarily use it for City Driving and maybe once in a month for Highways. Mixed feedback for AT Models. Would request help and guidance.
I have S10 AT and previous VLX AT (4x4). Both are hoot to drive and extremely smooth. You will need to learn few techniques to get very good fuel efficiency like how to get lock on TC and when not to push the accelerator and lug a bit. I was able to drive from Tandi to Delhi (including Rohtang Pass) in single tank; which I think is excellent for any AT SUV.

P.S. I did Delhi - Leh - Delhi in my S10 AT. Travelogue is in process.

Camshot from the same journey:
Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review-s10-.png

Last edited by purohitanuj : 6th October 2015 at 13:43.
purohitanuj is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 13:48   #449
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi, gurgaon
Posts: 45
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
I have S10 AT and previous VLX AT (4x4). Both are hoot to drive and extremely smooth. You will need to learn few techniques to get very good fuel efficiency like how to get lock on TC and when not to push the accelerator and lug a bit. I was able to drive from Tandi to Delhi (including Rohtang Pass) in single tank; which I think is excellent for any AT SUV.

P.S. I did Delhi - Leh - Delhi in my S10 AT. Travelogue is in process.

Camshot from the same journey:
Attachment 1423604
I would not have to look around for a mentor now Planning to book through CSD, I am sure would be a huge differential in prices as well. Would get into the process.
gmalik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 12:06   #450
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: London
Posts: 60
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Has Mahindra increased scorpio prices? I have booked a S4+ 4WD last month and was just informed by the dealer here in HP that the particular model price has been increased by 15k. I can't see this updated on the official website though. Anything I can do towards price proection?
dhruv45in is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 283 12th September 2016 11:46
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home! benbsb29 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 168 8th January 2015 11:22
Mahindra Scorpio's Photos - Scorpio Xtreme hotkar Modifications & Accessories 35 3rd March 2012 23:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:44.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks