Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2016, 09:05   #556
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Am on the look out for an Automatic to replace my current Scorpio. Test drove Honda Jazz CVT, Honda City CVT and Hyundai Creta AT. The Scorpio AT initially wasn't in the contention list as the online reviews I read (non team-bhp) said the gear box is sluggish.

My family rejected the Creta AT as they didn't find the back seat good enough. As per them the back seat bench was not supportive and lacked under thigh support. Also the window were placed a little higher compared to the seat bench height and this made them feel a little uneasy during the drive.

City, though was very comfortable, was ruled out for very low seating height in the rear bench.

Jazz CVT was almost going to be our next car - I had contacted @gkmahajan sir, regarding a query I had about the Jazz. In the ensuing nice discussions that happened, he suggested that I look into Scorpio AT as well and so it happened.

Test drove the new generation scorpio W10 2WD Automatic for about 10-12 kms inside Bangalore city. Disclaimer - The car was relatively new - only 6000kms done.

Likes
* Contrary to what I read online, the automatic was a breeze to drive. Shifts were very smooth and barely noticeable at city traffic. Very easy to keep up with the traffic.
* Acceleration was very brisk from dead stop. I was the first guy at a signal and oh boy just like the manual, the automatic put smiles on my face when the signal turned green
* Tried the manual mode. The box upshifts only at red line close to 4000 RPM. In a crowded city like Bangalore, you will never get to see the upshift as you usually don't get a clean stretch to rev all the way up to red line! I got lucky, got a clean stretch and checked that. It did upshift. 1 to 2 happened at 4000 RPM and 2 to 3 at the same RPM as well. Remember in a diesel revving all the way up to read line doesn't get you anything. Just that the engine gets extremely noisy. However where I think it would be of immense help is coming down hair pin bends, where you want to hold on to lower gears as much as possible. In the city Manual mode is useless. D mode is quite good
* The ride quality was very good compared to my current ride - 2010 model
* The commanding position you get from the driver seat
* Steering is chunky and very nice to hold
* All the features, especially cruise control
* Mid indicated 11kmpl for my test drive. I was watching the gear indicator in the console as I was driving. The gear box does upshift quite early to ride the torque wave and doesn't wait for the revs to build up. Net result is good fuel economy as well as very silent drive, but no knocking

Dislikes
* Ignoring the dash and all the features, if you look around the interiors, it doesn't justify the 17L on road, that its asks for.
* Stupid grab handle at the rear
* No ideas about who makes the gear box (DSI, Aisin or Bosch) and its long term durability

End result - I am very confused between the two. But glad that the choice has now narrowed down to just two cars.

PS: Though this is not the Jazz thread, I will mention this. The Jazz CVT is simply awesome. Coming from the Scorp, one big concern I had was about the GC of the Jazz. To test it out, here's what I did. Me at the driving wheel (height 5-11), fairly well built SA at the co-passenger seat. My brothers family, along with one of my daughters - 5 people in all in the rear seat. 3 adults and 2 -10 year old children in their laps. With this load, I tried all the notorious speed breakers/ruts/pot holes around my home. Not once did the Jazz scrape. Not only that, the pickup was still very good. No issues with keeping up with the traffic. Accelerated to 80kmph with this load - seamless. Kindly note that I do not encourage loading a car like this, this was a test I put the Jazz through and it came out with flying colors. Much much better than what I had expected.

Last edited by chandras1 : 2nd April 2016 at 09:09. Reason: Correct grammar
chandras1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:22   #557
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Am on the look out for an Automatic to replace my current Scorpio. Test drove Honda Jazz CVT, Honda City CVT and Hyundai Creta AT. The Scorpio AT initially wasn't in the contention list as the online reviews I read (non team-bhp) said the gear box is sluggish.

My family rejected the Creta AT as they didn't find the back seat good enough. As per them the back seat bench was not supportive and lacked under thigh support. Also the window were placed a little higher compared to the seat bench height and this made them feel a little uneasy during the drive.

City, though was very comfortable, was ruled out for very low seating height in the rear bench.

Jazz CVT was almost going to be our next car - I had contacted @gkmahajan sir, regarding a query I had about the Jazz. In the ensuing nice discussions that happened, he suggested that I look into Scorpio AT as well and so it happened.

Test drove the new generation scorpio W10 2WD Automatic for about 10-12 kms inside Bangalore city. Disclaimer - The car was relatively new - only 6000kms done.

Likes
* Contrary to what I read online, the automatic was a breeze to drive. Shifts were very smooth and barely noticeable at city traffic. Very easy to keep up with the traffic.
* Acceleration was very brisk from dead stop. I was the first guy at a signal and oh boy just like the manual, the automatic put smiles on my face when the signal turned green
* Tried the manual mode. The box upshifts only at red line close to 4000 RPM. In a crowded city like Bangalore, you will never get to see the upshift as you usually don't get a clean stretch to rev all the way up to red line! I got lucky, got a clean stretch and checked that. It did upshift. 1 to 2 happened at 4000 RPM and 2 to 3 at the same RPM as well. Remember in a diesel revving all the way up to read line doesn't get you anything. Just that the engine gets extremely noisy. However where I think it would be of immense help is coming down hair pin bends, where you want to hold on to lower gears as much as possible. In the city Manual mode is useless. D mode is quite good
* The ride quality was very good compared to my current ride - 2010 model
* The commanding position you get from the driver seat
* Steering is chunky and very nice to hold
* All the features, especially cruise control
* Mid indicated 11kmpl for my test drive. I was watching the gear indicator in the console as I was driving. The gear box does upshift quite early to ride the torque wave and doesn't wait for the revs to build up. Net result is good fuel economy as well as very silent drive, but no knocking

Dislikes
* Ignoring the dash and all the features, if you look around the interiors, it doesn't justify the 17L on road, that its asks for.
* Stupid grab handle at the rear
* No ideas about who makes the gear box (DSI, Aisin or Bosch) and its long term durability

End result - I am very confused between the two. But glad that the choice has now narrowed down to just two cars.

PS: Though this is not the Jazz thread, I will mention this. The Jazz CVT is simply awesome. Coming from the Scorp, one big concern I had was about the GC of the Jazz. To test it out, here's what I did. Me at the driving wheel (height 5-11), fairly well built SA at the co-passenger seat. My brothers family, along with one of my daughters - 5 people in all in the rear seat. 3 adults and 2 -10 year old children in their laps. With this load, I tried all the notorious speed breakers/ruts/pot holes around my home. Not once did the Jazz scrape. Not only that, the pickup was still very good. No issues with keeping up with the traffic. Accelerated to 80kmph with this load - seamless. Kindly note that I do not encourage loading a car like this, this was a test I put the Jazz through and it came out with flying colors. Much much better than what I had expected.

Dear Chandrasekar,

That is a very comprehensive report of the Scorpio AT TD.
I am a bit curious about the 17L on road. Could you give a break up of that? Also - did you test the 2WD or 4WD/AWD version?

By the way, I am flattered when you quote me. I do not know what you think - but I am just an ordinary Joe - no expert on cars. I have only 3,00,000 + km of driving experience in 30+ years.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:50   #558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Dear Mahajan

S10 2WD AT. This is Bangalore ☺ Check this out... http://www.anantcars.com/pricechart
chandras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016, 14:27   #559
BHPian
 
GKMahajan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 489
Thanked: 606 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
Dear Mahajan

S10 2WD AT. This is Bangalore ☺ Check this out... http://www.anantcars.com/pricechart
Dear Chandrasekar,

Wow! Double Wow!
I just checked the Pune Prices:
Ex-Showroom Prices (in rupees)
S10 12,56,724
S10 4WD 13,73,405
S10 4WD AT 14,45,904
S10 AT 13,23,084
S2 8,82,982
S4 9,49,632
S4 PLUS 9,91,937
S4 PLUS 4WD 11,09,880
S6 PLUS 10,97,207
S8 11,90,479


For you the similar price is 13,40,184. That is about 17000 more in basic price.
SO - I have to check if this is still in my budget! Ouch!!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:53   #560
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 530
Thanked: 521 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Hello Gents & Ladies, I realize that this post may pertain to some ....... be a bit useful at times.
8.) We don't have parking for a 2nd car. If I buy one, I am going to have to rent one from someone in the building. So, that is an additional expense.
Ah! What a trip down nostalgia lane .....junior's college expenses, no parking for 2nd car (still don't have one....in m'bai!), will I meet the emi's regularly, diesel monthly milage, new or pre-owned - and so on & so forth. Yes, deep & ponderous issues no doubt....

I'm 65, happily retired & eking out an existence with an 11-yr old Scorpio(from new) in Lucknow and an Eeco in Mumbai. Your Scorpio fixation is entirely understandable - I was suffering from the same ailment when I succumbed & bought mine! I was much older too (my daughter was at King's, London, doing her master's in forensic science at the time) but I still took the plunge! And I have had no regrets doing it. The Scorpio does that to you. My daughter ended up with a Ph.D from UCF, Orlando. The better half got over her misgivings long ago in the joy of gallivanting around the country with our precious boxers in the back!

So take my advice mate, and - assuming that your junoon is as serious - jump in at the deep end and welcome to the club.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:38   #561
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Ah! What a trip down nostalgia lane .....junior's college expenses, no parking for 2nd car (still don't have one....in m'bai!), will I meet the emi's regularly, diesel monthly milage, new or pre-owned - and so on & so forth. Yes, deep & ponderous issues no doubt....

.....My daughter ended up with a Ph.D from UCF, Orlando. The better half got over her misgivings long ago in the joy of gallivanting around the country with our precious boxers in the back!

So take my advice mate, and - assuming that your junoon is as serious - jump in at the deep end and welcome to the club.
Thank you sir. As a matter of fact, I am have some affinity for where your daughter graduated from. I got two Masters from South Florida and started my career in Orlando. Sometimes, I think Mumbai's traffic may be a marginal improvement over Orlando's.

Also, unlike when you took the plunge, the better half here is not proving to be problem. She is actually egging me on to make the purchase. Yeah, I certainly can't look to her to be the voice of moderation here.

But, on the other hand, plenty of Bhpians are doing a fine job of reining me in. That long post by wanderer4x4 about the quality issues in his Scorpio has certainly given me pause. So, I am watching the pre-owned space for something worthwhile. At least that way, if those quality issues creep up, I can feel reasonably satisfied at not having paid 16 big ones for a car with bunch of problems.
mohansrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:01   #562
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 40 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Thank you sir. As a matter of fact, I am have some affinity for where your daughter graduated from. I got two Masters from South Florida and started my career in Orlando. Sometimes, I think Mumbai's traffic may be a marginal improvement over Orlando's.

Also, unlike when you took the plunge, the better half here is not proving to be problem. She is actually egging me on to make the purchase. Yeah, I certainly can't look to her to be the voice of moderation here.

But, on the other hand, plenty of Bhpians are doing a fine job of reining me in. That long post by wanderer4x4 about the quality issues in his Scorpio has certainly given me pause. So, I am watching the pre-owned space for something worthwhile. At least that way, if those quality issues creep up, I can feel reasonably satisfied at not having paid 16 big ones for a car with bunch of problems.
Yups, I can tell you that I am little disappointed by the quality of fixture and recurring issues with components . As said earlier had /have issue with heater which got fixed, speaker which was replaced, cruise control issue awaiting spares, headlights moisture deposits which dealer does not acknowledge as an issue and lately speedometer automatically showing 60 or 80 kmph when stopped at signals triggering hand brake notification , also some times showing zero when actual speed may be around 80 . Not expected after paying a premium.
ManuMacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 14:12   #563
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 530
Thanked: 521 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Thank you sir. As a matter of fact, I am have some affinity for where your daughter graduated from. I got two Masters from South Florida and started my career in Orlando. Sometimes, I think Mumbai's traffic may be a marginal improvement over Orlando's.

Also, unlike when you took the plunge, the better half here is not proving to be problem. She is actually egging me on to make the purchase. Yeah, I certainly can't look to her to be the voice of moderation here.

But, on the other hand, plenty of Bhpians are doing a fine job of reining me in. That long post by wanderer4x4 about the quality issues in his Scorpio has certainly given me pause. So, I am watching the pre-owned space for something worthwhile. At least that way, if those quality issues creep up, I can feel reasonably satisfied at not having paid 16 big ones for a car with bunch of problems.
Its good to hear from another UCF alumni! My daughter married her doctoral colleague and they settled in Seattle - in fact we're grandparents now!

About this un-requited love-affair with the S10 - I wont get into an argument about the pros & cons of new launch niggles! The horror stories one reads about (the new Beemer 3-series with a seized engine in Kochi(I think) and the Audi R10 in flames on the Worli-Bandra link, both being reported in our forum) is proof that no mfr escapes these banana skins. I must be one of the lucky ones as I did not any experience niggles, period. And thus my devotion to our Bucephalus, the 2004 Glx Scorpio. Till date it has not let us down on the highway - apart from the proverbial flat tyre.

Well, to be or not to be - finally it must be your call. I will be looking forward with interest to your decision!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 19:40   #564
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Mr. Shashanka... I am actually trying to PM you, and I can't seem to do that from your public profile here. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Maybe you can let me know your coordinates and I can email you offline? Is that possible?

Last edited by mohansrides : 4th April 2016 at 20:05.
mohansrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 20:06   #565
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 27
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Its good to hear from another UCF alumni! My daughter married her doctoral colleague and they settled in Seattle - in fact we're grandparents now!

About this un-requited love-affair with the S10 - I wont get into an argument about the pros & cons of new launch niggles! The horror stories one reads about (the new Beemer 3-series with a seized engine in Kochi(I think) and the Audi R10 in flames on the Worli-Bandra link, both being reported in our forum) is proof that no mfr escapes these banana skins. I must be one of the lucky ones as I did not any experience niggles, period. And thus my devotion to our Bucephalus, the 2004 Glx Scorpio. Till date it has not let us down on the highway - apart from the proverbial flat tyre.

Well, to be or not to be - finally it must be your call. I will be looking forward with interest to your decision!
Mr. Shashanka... I am actually trying to PM you, and I can't seem to do that from your public profile here. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Maybe you can let me know your coordinates and I can email you offline? Is that possible?
mohansrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 20:10   #566
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: mum,lko,kolkata
Posts: 530
Thanked: 521 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Mr. Shashanka... I am actually trying to PM you, and I can't seem to do that from your public profile here. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Maybe you can let me know your coordinates and I can email you offline? Is that possible?
Hi Mohan,
No issues - I'm at shashach@gmail.com. Looking forward to your mail!
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 09:30   #567
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,727
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
* No ideas about who makes the gear box (DSI, Aisin or Bosch) and its long term durability
Contrary to what one person on this forum wants us to belive, Bosch has never made or never been an OEM Transmission supplier. They may provide parts of the transmission, say for example the shift control module with is an electro-mechanical device.

As reported in various articles, the Scorpio transmission is supplied by DSI which was an Australian company that went bankrupt ans subsequently bought by Geely Automotive of China.

For the XUV, Mahindra went with ASIN who is a reputed global OEM transmission supplier.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you consider the XUV 500 Automatic..
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 09:39   #568
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,482
Thanked: 1,064 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but having been a delighted Scorpio owner (Hariya was a CRDe SLX beast) without any issues whatsoever apart from regular maintenance, it feels bad to read that the latest Scorpio has so many issues, especially when it is such a cult vehicle and a crowd puller.

These issues may be small and may not be related to the core components but they are a clear indication of a reduction in Mahindra quality/quality check processes which must be looked into.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 12:31   #569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 323 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

For all those complaining about Scorpio, here is a travelogue from Scorpio AT!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...orpio-s10.html (Automatically Leh'd in a Scorpio S10 AT)
LoneRidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2016, 13:17   #570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Contrary to what one person on this forum wants us to belive, Bosch has never made or never been an OEM Transmission supplier. They may provide parts of the transmission, say for example the shift control module with is an electro-mechanical device.

As reported in various articles, the Scorpio transmission is supplied by DSI which was an Australian company that went bankrupt ans subsequently bought by Geely Automotive of China.

For the XUV, Mahindra went with ASIN who is a reputed global OEM transmission supplier.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you consider the XUV 500 Automatic..
Thanks many for the clarification.

Both me and my family folks didn't like the XUV. Also, my parking lot is an exact fit for the Scorpio. So any car longer that the scorp. is automatically ruled out
chandras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Quanto : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 283 12th September 2016 11:46
Bringing home the Mahindra Scorpio LX. EDIT : Scorpio finds a new home! benbsb29 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 168 8th January 2015 11:22
Mahindra Scorpio's Photos - Scorpio Xtreme hotkar Modifications & Accessories 35 3rd March 2012 23:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks