Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 5th March 2015, 23:06   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

I found the following performance chart of Tata Bolt Petrol in ACI review (Source),

Name:  ImageResizerWM.ashxnhttp3a2f2fi.haymarketindia.net2fReviews2faccleration.jpg
Views: 5013
Size:  37.4 KB

13s to 100 is quite good. Better than many other petrols in the segment.
If the 120HP does come to production, it can do it under 10s I guess.

Compare that to a performance hatch, Polo 1.6 GT TDI (Source),
0-20 1.42sec
0-40 2.63sec
0-60 4.56sec
0-80 7.28sec
0-100 10.51sec
0-120 15.47sec
0-140 22.03sec
0-160 32.02sec

Not bad for a drivability tuned car I'd say(till 120). I was expecting far worse figures considering the flak the Revotron gets everywhere for its performance.

They say the following,

Quote:
Effortless performance is the talking point here and the Bolt’s ability to get you to serious speeds without a fuss makes it a superb highway cruiser. Be in no doubt, the Bolt is surprisingly quick and, in fact, quicker than most other hatchbacks including sporty ones like the Swift and i20 .
Since when is the i20 a sporty car?

The figures in green seem to be of diesel. If that's the case, the outright acceleration is pretty poor. The in gear acceleration I guess, would be best in class though, like the Vista Quadrajet.

Last edited by theredliner : 5th March 2015 at 23:08.
theredliner is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 10:31   #317
MSC
BHPian

both tata bolt as well zest are way ahead of their respective predecessors in almost every aspect. only problem which remains is that the mindset of common public is the previous experience with tata products.
it is going to be very difficult for tata motors to shake off the past .
MSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 15:21   #318
BHPian

First there was a 45k exchange bonus, which was supposed to last till the end of Feb 2015. After that expired, it was replaced by a 65k exchange bonus for the Bolt !
Not sure if this offer is still running now.
What it did demonstrate was the lukewarm consumer response to the Bolt and the desperation of the dealerships to push out inventory.

The Zest had a great pricing and the result was a high number of bookings and long wait periods. The hatchback market expected a similar killer pricing for the Bolt, which seemed to reflect in the high booking numbers. It looks like TML was swayed by the booking numbers and decided to price it at a premium. The result, unfortunately, was that there were several booking cancellations and dealerships are left with inventory pile ups. TML has consciously decided to not provide this product to the taxi segment, but they might be looking hard at that decision now.

Cutting the prices on the models is usually a strategy that they adopt only for outgoing models so I dont see that happening for the Bolt anytime soon.
perty is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 14:57   #319
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post

Cutting the prices on the models is usually a strategy that they adopt only for outgoing models so I dont see that happening for the Bolt anytime soon.
Instead of bringing prices down, if they give good deals to existing Indica owners there will be a lot of interest. Whatever said and done, you still can't beat the Indica on space, maintenance and mileage. :-)

A better Indica with foreign car features like 3 mode drive will be more than welcome as it will be best of both worlds.
Taffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 08:29   #320
BHPian

Has deliveries for the Bolt actually started? I've only seen a couple of test drive cars on the road, so far. If deliveries have started and Tata is already discounting, I'm afraid the Bolt is well on its way to become a massive flop. I think Tata has made a huge mistake in pricing the Bolt - they have overestimated their brand worth to potential buyers.

On a related note, the Zest seems to be doing better but, based on the initial enthusiasm in the press and on various forums, I had expected it to do much better. The Hyundai i20 Elite, which is a lot more expensive, seems to be flying off the showrooms.
Motard_Blr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 11:47   #321
BHPian

Quote:
First there was a 45k exchange bonus, which was supposed to last till the end of Feb 2015. After that expired, it was replaced by a 65k exchange bonus for the Bolt !
Not sure if this offer is still running now.
Yes, the exchange bonus of 65,000/- is still in force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
Instead of bringing prices down, if they give good deals to existing Indica owners there will be a lot of interest. Whatever said and done, you still can't beat the Indica on space, maintenance and mileage. :-)

A better Indica with foreign car features like 3 mode drive will be more than welcome as it will be best of both worlds.
Sadly, they don't. I wanted to exchange my Indigo with the Zest, but they quoted a ridiculous tag of 1,00,000/-, then increased to 1,10,000/-. I cut the phone. This way, they can actually sell enough inventory to create some long term impression on the Zest/Bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Has deliveries for the Bolt actually started? I've only seen a couple of test drive cars on the road, so far. If deliveries have started and Tata is already discounting, I'm afraid the Bolt is well on its way to become a massive flop.
Yes, a couple of days back, one of my clients got his Silver Bolt delivered. But I am not aware of any discounts being offered on the Bolt.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 01:32   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The Zest had a great pricing and the result was a high number of bookings and long wait periods....
I doubt price alone was the key to Zest's success. It did NOT really resemble the Indigo much would have seal the deal for many. Personally I think TATA may have priced the Bolt higher to keep the car away from the taxi segment as well.

Quote:
... I'm afraid the Bolt is well on its way to become a massive flop...
On it's way?! Which hit car usually is given a 65,000/- exchange bonus in 1-2 months of the launch?

Quote:
... The Hyundai i20 Elite, which is a lot more expensive, seems to be flying off the showrooms.
Apples & Premium green apples - that's how I'll see these two products. Anyone who wants a proper "premium" hatchback would NOT bother to look beyond the Elite i20. I was so impressed by the interior quality of Zest, but it just can't hold a candle to the Elite i20 interiors. There is a sense of "ego" the i20's cabin induce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
... But I am not aware of any discounts being offered on the Bolt.
I doubt there are any cash discounts on Bolt or even Zest. I think they gave such a massive exchange bonus to maintain a price gap between the Zest & Bolt.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th March 2015 at 01:35.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2015, 15:57   #323
BHPian

Today, I saw a white TATA Bolt in office parking.

Even with the lineage of Indica, this car looked good and fresh and my impression changed for good after seeing it in person.

Zest/Bolt do look distinct. As much as the Fiat/Skoda. Beautiful, chic.

And they are still market duds!! Speaks a ton about Tata's brand equity among middle class Indian car buyers.
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2015, 12:27   #324
BHPian

An update on the exchange bonus - The Exchange bonus has been reduced to 20,000/- from 65,000/-.
So, you get a very low quote for your old car, plus this less an exchange bonus. Expect more downfall.
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2015, 22:53   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
An update on the exchange bonus - The Exchange bonus has been reduced to 20,000/- from 65,000/-.
So, you get a very low quote for your old car, plus this less an exchange bonus. Expect more downfall.
Yes, seems the exchange bonus is eyewash, they give very low quote. i went to check out the bolt around 20th Feb. They really got me interested when they said they have a 40k exchange bonus!
but i was disappointed to get a very low quote, so low that after adding the 40k bonus the value was around fair market value
so much for the exchange bonus!!
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 19:14   #326
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Forget the exchange bonus, in April the dealers have started giving a cash bonus of 20k.

The Chennai dealer offered this without any negotiation + a 15-20k exchange bonus but as usual they valued by Vista at a terrible price. So I have given them a ball park resale value I am looking at and if they match that, I will book the Bolt the very next minute.

I expect the Bolt to have atleast 45-50k cash discount within next 2 months max at which time if I can manage to sell my Vista at a decent price, I will go for it.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 19:25   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Yes, seems the exchange bonus is eyewash, they give very low quote. i went to check out the bolt around 20th Feb. They really got me interested when they said they have a 40k exchange bonus!
but i was disappointed to get a very low quote, so low that after adding the 40k bonus the value was around fair market value
so much for the exchange bonus!!
This is hallmark Tata.
It has been like this EVERY time I have dealt with their 'exchange bonus'.
After adding the exchange bonus it comes to usual market price.
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2015, 23:18   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
This is hallmark Tata.
It has been like this EVERY time I have dealt with their 'exchange bonus'.
After adding the exchange bonus it comes to usual market price.
It's almost the same with every other manufacturer too. I had similar experiences when I was looking to exchange my Swift VDi.
Maruti quoted much lesser than the lowest market price and then gave high exchange bonus.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 08:50   #329
BHPian

Exchange bonus is just an instrument to lure the customer into showroom. It purportedly removes hassles for customers who want to sell the old car. Old car price plus the bonus gives one fair market price or thereabouts. Afterall, they too have to sell the old car in market.

So, the value they quote depends entirely on the resale value of car in the market, irrespective of the showroom you go into.

I wanted to exchange my Santro. Maruti, Tata quoted identical figures. Hyundai quoted about 20K less. When I mentioned Maruti quoted more, the evaluator phoned the Maruti people and started arguing how one could quote more as the colour was black. Short of punching that guy, I gave him a piece of my mind.

Another Maruti dealer too quoted the same. Along with exchange bonus, it was about 10K more than what Tata offered. He was quite apologetic that he couldnt offer me more for such a well maintained car as the colour was black.

It is a different issue that I went for Tata even though I got a bit lesser value for my old car, albeit without exchange bonus.

Another sales person, from another Maruti showroom, started demanding, aggressively, why I had not bought Dzire and gone for Tata. It was hilarious to hear her demanding me to explain why I hadn't bought Dzire.

Last edited by simplyself : 14th April 2015 at 08:56.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 14:47   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Forget the exchange bonus, in April the dealers have started giving a cash bonus of 20k..
There is also a 3 year Insurance free which is thrown in. Customer ends up saving about 40,000 in two years if there is no 'No claim Bonus' to be transferred from the earlier vehicle.

Sadly this was not available on the Zest and the dealership offered me a one year free insurance.
SAE40 in veins is offline   Reply With Quote