Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 16:13   #466
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,012
Thanked: 3,424 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

This is probably brake dust/rust. Happens mostly in monsoons where the drums get a layer of rust formation which causes the grinding noise that you are hearing while braking. This should not be a big issue and all the rust should clear during normal brake usage over some time.
But it will also be a better to get the brake shoes checked. If they are worn, you shall hear the grinding sound again.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 16:58   #467
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
Need help from fellow T-BHPians. Have been facing issues with the brakes of my Bolt RT XM ever since the rains hit Mumbai. There's a grinding noise that comes from the brakes every time I start for office in the morning. It does diminish over the period of travel, however, the braking is definitely not very confident even after running in for over 2 hours. There is little progressive braking and the car usually comes to a hard stop (guess the disc brakes come into picture). As far as I can make out, the grinding noise comes from the rear brakes. Have the brake pads completely worn out? The car has run ~27k KMs till date. Is it normal for the brake pads to be worn out by this time?

The issue of grinding noise is less during my return in the evening. However, the braking is still not as confident as it used to be before the rains.

I have already booked an appointment with the service centre for Thursday to get this issue inspected, as I also needed to replace the wipers.
Presence of moisture in the brake drums make them squeak. The brakes also lose their bite and can turn grabby (I face this after every water wash, goes away in a few kms). Since you say the grinding noise goes away after a few kms (1-2 kms at max), the brakes shoes should be fine. Your drums need cleaning and brake shoes can be roughened. Do not engage the handbrakes the next time you park (place a stone or something) and see if you get the brake noise the next morning. If you don't get the noise then your drums need cleaning only.

Ideally, brake shoes should last for 40-50k kms. However, it depends on the driving style and driving conditions.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 22:56   #468
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,208
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
Have the brake pads completely worn out? The car has run ~27k KMs till date. Is it normal for the brake pads to be worn out by this time?
First get feedback on the condition of the brake pads from the ASC. Since the brakes are working but there is some noise accompanying the perceived lack of braking force, it is most likely a combination of something getting in between the pads and drum/disc and an exaggerated apprehension of something being wrong.

Brakes wear out at a rate heavily dependent on the driving style, so it could be that they should and have worn by now, or maybe they aren't.

Drums and disc brakes work in tandem, not drums first and then discs. In fact because the discs are in front they are likely doing most of the work most of the time.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 13:26   #469
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 73
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
Need help from fellow T-BHPians. Have been facing issues with the brakes of my Bolt RT XM ever since the rains hit Mumbai. There's a grinding noise that comes from the brakes every time I start for office in the morning. It does diminish over the period of travel, however, the braking is definitely not very confident even after running in for over 2 hours. There is little progressive braking and the car usually comes to a hard stop (guess the disc brakes come into picture). As far as I can make out, the grinding noise comes from the rear brakes. Have the brake pads completely worn out? The car has run ~27k KMs till date. Is it normal for the brake pads to be worn out by this time?

The issue of grinding noise is less during my return in the evening. However, the braking is still not as confident as it used to be before the rains.

I have already booked an appointment with the service centre for Thursday to get this issue inspected, as I also needed to replace the wipers.
Typically, the drum-brakes (at rear) have reduced stopping power when wet and the disc-brakes (in-front) cause the stickiness/hard-stopping when wet. The noises may recur during the monsoon season - but should reduce after a couple of kms.

However, the Tata ASC should be able to diagnose the issue better.
AutoSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 14:35   #470
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 53
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Thanks for all the help. This is what makes T-BHP so special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Typically, the drum-brakes (at rear) have reduced stopping power when wet and the disc-brakes (in-front) cause the stickiness/hard-stopping when wet. The noises may recur during the monsoon season - but should reduce after a couple of kms.

However, the Tata ASC should be able to diagnose the issue better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
First get feedback on the condition of the brake pads from the ASC. Since the brakes are working but there is some noise accompanying the perceived lack of braking force, it is most likely a combination of something getting in between the pads and drum/disc and an exaggerated apprehension of something being wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Presence of moisture in the brake drums make them squeak. The brakes also lose their bite and can turn grabby (I face this after every water wash, goes away in a few kms).
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
This is probably brake dust/rust. Happens mostly in monsoons where the drums get a layer of rust formation which causes the grinding noise that you are hearing while braking. This should not be a big issue and all the rust should clear during normal brake usage over some time.
There was no noise from the suspension. It was just the brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Any suspension noises should be rectified ASAP. As any un rectified faults may cause damage to other suspension components.
I could not make it to the service centre. However, since the rains have eased out in Mumbai, the issue has simply vanished. Braking is back to its usual self. It was indeed an exaggerated apprehension.

My 3rd service will be due in a month's time probably (28k up). Will update on the SA's feedback on this issue as well.
aviat18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016, 12:37   #471
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 45,190
Thanked: 72,234 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Thanks to Ramakant for sharing these pics!

LHD Bolt (export markets) spotted at Dange Chowk, Pune:
Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-img20160803wa0001.jpg

Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-img20160803wa0000.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 06:55   #472
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 328
Thanked: 212 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

This is one sad news if its true

http://www.oncars.in/car-news/tata-b...e-report/11666
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 08:21   #473
BHPian
 
Shashankjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 69
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Tata products have improved a lot. There's no denying that but they have catch up to do. Their price advantage should offset what they lack in terms of refinement. Their pathetic sales and service network is one of the reasons of low sales numbers. From first hand experience, I remember going to buy a Manza as my first car but walked out to a Maruti showromm after seeing the uninterested and lethargic salesperson as if he didn't want to sell the car.
Shashankjk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 10:08   #474
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 45,190
Thanked: 72,234 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Had gone Raksha Bandhan shopping last evening in my uncle's Bolt (best buddy's Dad). I drove it both ways. Must say, it's a very likeable city hatchback. Nice interiors, excellent driveability, light steering, comfortable ride. It's a dangerous trend if such competent hatchbacks flop in the market, but then, Tata only has itself to blame. Tata Motors ruined its own brand image among car buyers, priced the Bolt too optimistically and the niggles - my goodness! This Bolt has had its check engine light come on twice already (in <5,000 km). Whenever the light comes on, the air-con stops cooling. Nope, it's not an overheating issue as it happens even when the car is just started cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I think it's fake news. We've seen with the Aria, Nano etc. that Tata will keep selling even low volume cars. They anyway have the excess production capacity.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 10:14   #475
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,764
Thanked: 323 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Had gone Raksha Bandhan shopping last evening in my uncle's Bolt (best buddy's Dad). I drove it both ways. Must say, it's a very likeable city hatchback. Nice interiors, excellent driveability, light steering, comfortable ride. It's a dangerous trend if such competent hatchbacks flop in the market, but then, Tata only has itself to blame.
Bolt was one of my preferred cars, before I picked up my Figo DCT 2 months ago; The sales personnel was hell bent of giving a pathetic resale to my Estilo and was offering a maximum of 5,000 discount on Bolt.

Now that I am a convert to automatics, I'll consider a Tata Tiago as my second car as needless to say, I am loving the DCT and tch tch to tata for not launching Bolt with AMT.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 15:17   #476
Senior - BHPian
 
dZired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,463
Thanked: 5,317 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Rumour: Tata Bolt might only be sold on commercial plates

If recent media reports are to be believed, Tata Motors is planning to make the Bolt hatchback exclusive to commercial owners. This step comes as a consequence of the Bolt's failure to attract significant sales in the passenger car segment. With the company having a relatively better brand image in the commercial vehicle segment, Tata Motors is reportedly planning to cash the Bolt by offering it as a fleet vehicle.

The Tata Bolt was launched in January 2015. The Indian automaker had pinned huge hopes on the Bolt, but the Vista-based styling and a high price tag that made it compete against the Maruti Swift killed the sales curve of the Bolt. With just 17,000 units shipped since its launch, the Bolt is a complete write-off in the passenger vehicle segment. Rumours were doing rounds from the past couple of months about Tata ceasing production of the Bolt to focus on aits successful new hatchback - the Tiago.

But with recent reports talking about Tata's plans to sell the Bolt only as a fleet vehicle, the car maker seems to playing its last card to cash some more money out of the Bolt moniker. The company has even shelved plans of the Bolt Sport hot hatch, and will instead work on the Tiago Sport.

Source: CarDekho
dZired is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 18:55   #477
BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 884
Thanked: 474 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

They already are selling BOLT with yellow plates, I have seen 3-4 of them near Hinjewadi. In fact one of the cabbie told me that Vista has been discontinued and they will only sell BOLT henceforth.

Vista is a hot favourite as a CAB, and I see more Vista's compared to the original cab Indica/Indigo nowadays.
Also one of the cabbie told me that they get slightly more rs/perkm for Vista compared to Indica.

If this is really true, what remains to be seen is will BOLT get the same Tdi engine that Vista has ( which it should surely get if its intended to be sold as a Cab ).So if they keep the same price tag and offer BOLT, it will surely sell in decent numbers.

FYI, Vista in LS version sells for 6.30 lacs on road Pune.

Last edited by silverado : 22nd August 2016 at 19:01.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 09:45   #478
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

While they're at it, they should probably move the Zest to the cab market too. It might do well there alongside the Etios. Besides, with the Kite 5 coming in, I don't really see how sales won't be cannibalised.
SS8939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 10:55   #479
Senior - BHPian
 
ashis89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,055
Thanked: 648 Times
Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

Bolt is getting some foothold in the cab market, especially here in Hyderabad. I must have seen more than a hundred yellow plate Bolts on the road in past few months. And I keep seeing new ones with TR plates with smartphones hanging from their windscreens. Hopefully this car finds a patron among the cabbies.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 16:50   #480
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,625
Thanked: 844 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Has anyone noticed a FE drop after an oil change service ? I'm facing this issue after the 2nd service where oil was changed. FE dropped from about 11kmpl to 9kmpl under city driving conditions in city mode. While I want to avoid taking it TASS are there any checks I could do myself ? Have checked the air pressure, FE quality etc. I've been doing this over last 1month since service to rule out any such common errors
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Bolt 1.3L Diesel : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 51 12th November 2016 18:53
Tata Motors introduces 1.2L turbo-petrol Revotron engine RavenAvi The Indian Car Scene 189 30th July 2014 02:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks