Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 11th September 2016, 11:59   #496
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review

I too have a bolt XMS Revotron and Zest XT QJD which are 5 and 4 months old respectively. Both have completed 2500 and 5500 kms respectively along with their first servicing.

Bolt is giving 15.5 kmpl in purely city driving conditions with AC on at all times. Overall very satisfied with both the cars (great features at its price point and the best build quality amongst competition) and TML as well.
rosaf is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 09:47   #497
BHPian

Ownership experience of Tata Bolt XM (Revotron)

16 months (27,000 KM) after I first thought about penning it all down, it’s time to finally put down my ownership experience in the Team-BHP domain. I own a Tata Bolt Revotron XM (my first car, yay!) and have driven it for 28,400 KM till date (and counting). I believe this is the first ownership report for a Tata Bolt, and seeing the sales, may well end up being the only one.

Positives
1. Solid built quality, zero rattles till date!
2. Light steering that weighs up sufficiently on the highways
3. Nice spacious interiors and comfortable ergonomics
4. Excellent drivability
5. Comfortable ride quality
6. Superb Harman ICE
7. Good straight line stability
8. Confident braking
9. Inexpensive maintenance bills
10. Highway fuel efficiency (18-20 KMPL with AC, cruising speed of 85 KM/hr in City mode)

Negatives
1. Excessive tire noise; overall NVH could have been better
2. Useless fog lamps
3. Throaty engine sound beyond 4k RPM
4. Boot space and lack of storage space in the interiors

Things that could have been better but not a deal breaker
1. Air conditioning
2. Turning radius
3. City fuel efficiency
4. A higher revving engine (something that I loved on the Swift)

Our search for a car began immediately post marriage in Dec’14. Car was always a ‘good to have’ thing for me. My heart was always into bikes (owned a Pulsar 150 but dreamt of RE Classic 500). But practicality takes precedence over heart post marriage. Riding with my wife on bikes suddenly started feeling a dangerous exercise, esp. on the WEH. Hence it was decided that a car would come home sooner than planned. Now the problem was I’d never driven a car in a city like Mumbai. I’d learnt driving on a humble diesel Ambassador in 2008. My father bought a Swift VXi in 2009 and I had barely driven 500 KM on it spread over 5 years (I was never home). So I did flirt with the idea of getting a pre-owned car initially. However, even after looking at a couple of used car dealers, I could not trust their word. Eventually, I decided to take the plunge and get a new car altogether.

Criteria for the prospective car:
1. Should be a fresh model since I was planning to keep it within the family even if an upgrade happened in the later years
2. Petrol (since my estimated weekly commute was only 70 KM)
3. Budget 5-6 lakhs on road, Mumbai
4. Good driving ergonomics (my height being 6’3”)
5. Can not be a compact sedan (never agreed to the concept)

Meanwhile, contenders were:

1. Maruti Celerio AMT – Automatic at 5.65L on road in Mumbai was too good a deal. Reason for thinking about an automatic – Wife who had not driven any vehicle apart from humble bicycles. Rejected unanimously after the first test drive (of a manual VXi trim) due to uninspiring engine, flimsy build quality and mediocre interiors. Having driven the Swift earlier, it was my mistake to try a Celerio. Though to be fair, it was the ideal car in my budget. Experience with the SA was, however, the best at Maruti. The guy kept calling days after my visit and every call had a new proposition from their end. Hats off to Maruti - they indeed protect their no.1 crown aggressively and deserve all applauds.

2. Honda Brio – Loved the engine. Hated the snobbish sales folks. The test drive was the shortest as the SA seemed to be in perennial hurry. There was not 1 follow up call. Eventually the car was ruled out as Bolt appeared to be a better value proposition. (Note- I was looking at S variant as per my budget)

3. Grand i10 – A complete all-rounder. Hard to find issues in this very competent car. But it still it did not appeal to the heart as much as Bolt or Brio. SA appeared sincere in his pitch and there were multiple follow ups by them after the visit.

Cars that were researched and considered, but I did not test drive
1. Nissan Micra - After sales service was questionable, esp. if I had to transfer the car to my hometown
2. Chevrolet Sail UVA - I have always liked the clean looks of UVA, infact the first enquiry call that I did was for this car. However, issue of Micra existed here as well.

Cars that were not considered
1. Swift – there was one in the family already, plus too many on the roads.
2. Polo – scared of high maintenance costs
3. Figo – love the Ford, however I needed a car ahead of monsoons, and the new Figo was months away
4. Ritz – competent but aging car, ruled out by Wife for the odd looks

Tata Bolt test drive
Tata’s showroom at Borivali is right next to Maruti (on the WEH). I’d walked out of Maruti feeling underwhelmed after driving the Celerio. And the red Bolt parked on the sideways immediately caught our attention. The Showroom was about to be closed (2 PM on a Saturday)! The SA was kind enough to accommodate my request for a test drive. And boy didn’t he do himself a favor!
After the very positive test drive, I logged in to T-BHP and read everything about Bolt and Zest. Strangely enough, Bolt was also the first choice of my wife (despite the Honda’s and Hyundai’s!). After satisfying all my curiosities, called up the SA (yes I did, he never bothered to check) and confirmed that we were booking the car.
Note: All test drives were conducted on the same afternoon. I had started with Celerio followed by Bolt, Grand i10 and lastly the Brio.

Experience with TATA SA

The car was purchased from Wasan Motors, Borivali. Since it was a new launch, the only offer available on it was 3 years’ free insurance. I lapped it up and upgraded the 1st year’s to a zero-depreciation one. Bought the extended warranty for about 5k and gave the AMC offer a miss (budget constraints). Chose the XM model (XMS with airbags would have been better in hindsight though).
The entire purchase experience can be strictly termed as ‘average’. There was no intent on building a relationship, everything was purely transactional (unlike our Maruti SA for Swift). The only accessory that I agreed to buy from them was floor mats and mud flaps. I was charged Rs 2000/ for both, while the eventual mud flap that was delivered wasn’t even worth 400 bucks. The car was delivered with 80KM on the odo and with almost nil petrol in the tank (Thankfully, there’s an HP bunk right next door).
It took around 20 days from the test drive to the final delivery. Final on-road price was 6.2 lakhs for the XM trim. The car arrived on 29th April and the SA insisted that I take delivery in the same month. I relented and the car was driven home on the night of 30th April, 2015.

Name:  Capture3.JPG
Views: 2706
Size:  46.8 KB

Performance highlights – The engine has immense juice in the lower revs (peak torque of 140 NM @ 1500 rpm). This makes city driving very easy. There is negligible lag despite the turbocharged engine. On the flip side, the power tapers off on higher RPMs (4k and beyond). The engine characteristics are more diesel like than petrol. The performance modes are for real and the differences are explicitly visible. While the Eco mode is very sluggish (feels like Celerio), Sports mode just transforms the car into a different beast. I find the City mode to be the right balance and use it for 95% of my ride time. Sports mode is usually reserved for the ghat section while Eco mode is strictly avoided. I have gotten so used to the torque of Bolt that I managed to stall Swift a number of times during my last visit to my hometown.

Ride quality – Car is very confident on the highways and feels well planted. There is a bit of body roll though on sharp curves. The suspension works brilliantly as well. Have no complaints on this front.

Gearshift, clutch & brakes – Clutch is very light, albeit the travel range is on the longer side. Gear shift quality has improved a lot after the initial 1000 odd KMs. Slotting the gear into reverse was challenging initially but thankfully its settled in nicely now. ABS equipped braking has been very confident till date.

Fuel Efficiency – Before the current monsoon season set in, I used to get 12 KMPL (tankful method, MID was more optimistic by 0.5 KMPL). Please note the drive is through Hub mall section of WEH and it takes around 50 mins for a 8 KM stretch. Since Jun’16 though, the combined might of Mumbai rains and BMC’s pothole ridden roads have drowned the efficiency to as low as 8 KMPL. There are days when I take 2 hours to complete this 8 KM stretch after starting at 10 PM from my office! Please note I prefer to upshift only after 2-2.2k RPM (love the responsiveness in that band).

Fuel efficiency on the highways has always been pleasantly surprising. It’s always above 17, and on a recent trip to Bangalore, it was more than 20. I must admit though that I am not an aggressive driver, esp. on the highways. I stay around 2.4k RPM on the 5th gear.

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 2705
Size:  52.6 KB

In my experience, the MID overstates the FE by around 0.5 KMPL. I have verified this both in city and highway driving conditions.

Cost of upkeep & maintenance – following are my trips to the Wasan Motors service center at Kandivali(W):
1. 1st free service (4,900 KM) – Only for inspection. Took around 2 hours for the entire process
2. 2nd free service (12,500 KM) – Total cost Rs 2800. Included engine oil change, fuel and oil filters replaced, transaxle oil replacement, wheel balancing and alignment.
3. 3rd free service (28,100 KM) – Total cost Rs 3000. Included engine oil change, fuel and oil filters replaced, wheel balancing and alignment. Spark plugs & brakes were inspected and found to be in good condition.
Apart from the scheduled servicing, I have done 40-point check up a couple of times (@ 7000 KM and 22,500 KM odo readings) at the same place. Each visit set me back by Rs 650. It included (but not limited to):
1. Wheel alignment
2. Exterior and interior clean up
3. Air filter clean up

Timelines for untoward incidents

1. May'15 - Barely 2 weeks after the purchase, the car was rear-ended while standing still on a flyover. There was a big dent and a crack on the rear bumper. Visited the service centre and the SA advised to live with it and not claim insurance. One of the mechanics pulled out the bumper and pushed it back to normal state. Everything looked normal and only after a careful observation was the small crack visible (I apologise I don't have any pictures of the dent).

2. Jul'15 - I managed to hit the arm of an old lady walking on the left side of the street with the ORVM. The glass came off and was shattered. I got down the car and apologized profusely for my mistake. (I was driving at ~30 on a narrow and busy road). The mirror was replaced for Rs 300 at the Service Centre.

3. Nov'15 - One of the wheel caps had vanished. The reason is still a mystery. I discovered the missing cap in the morning. Cost me 600 bucks to get one from the Service Centre.

4. Jun'16 - The front left indicator had stopped working, along with the AC losing all its juice. Both were fixed during the 40 point check up visit. It was then that I realized the impact of unclean air filter on AC performance.

5. Aug'16 - A Tata ACE rolled back in stand-still traffic and broke the front number plate. Yet to be fixed.

I find the Tata after sales to be extremely cost effective. Not once have the folks tried to upsell or cross-sell a single item. It may not be a very plush setting, but it works nicely for a person like me who just wants to get the job done.

Feedback from friends, family and relatives – I received a lot of brickbats for booking a Tata. My brother-in-law even remarked that “Tata? Kitni bhi achi gaadi ho main kabhi nahi khareedunga” (translation: I will never buy a Tata car, even if it’s the best one around). So it felt really good when the same person went wow when he first stepped inside my car. Everyone who has stepped inside the car has always been pleasantly surprised with the interiors.

Parting notes: Its been an excellent journey till date. We have had some fond memories, having driven down to Goa, Coorg, Bangalore and the Konkans extensively in the last 1 year. In hindsight, it was good that I had no baggage like brand image or public perception when looking for the car. But let's consider the following 3 scenarios with the background that my weekly commute increased from estimated 70 KM to 350 KM uptil Jun'16 and is now 125 KM:

1. Buying a car right now - No. Given the wanderlust bug that hit me, it has to be a diesel. And my heart is set on Figo diesel ever since the test drive I did for a friend. It's the hottest hatch at the price point with the lowest cost of ownership in IMO.

2. Buying a car back in Apr'15 with the knowledge of my change in commute - No. I'd have bought the CNG version of Celerio and lived with the compromise on power and quality.

3. Buying a car back in Apr'15 without the knowledge of my change in commute - Definitely yes!

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2708
Size:  56.5 KB

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2016 at 09:48. Reason: Moving to official review :)
aviat18 is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 22:27   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
Ownership experience of Tata Bolt XM (Revotron)

16 months (27,000 KM) after I first thought about penning it all down, itís time to finally put down my ownership experience in the Team-BHP domain. I own a Tata Bolt Revotron XM (my first car, yay!) and have driven it for 28,400 KM till date (and counting). I believe this is the first ownership report for a Tata Bolt, and seeing the sales, may well end up being the only one.
Very well written review . I agree the car itself is too rare to be found on the roads, so expecting an ownership review for Bolt would be like searching a star in an overcast sky. But your review has come as a pleasant surprise and it is a very honest one.

The name of the car had such wonderful resemblance to the three times Olympics gold winner and fastest man on this earth, but TML could not cash on that. The optimistic pricing of the Bolt played a spoilsport.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 15:55   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

NDTV Auto reports that Tata Motors will be discontinuing production of the Bolt hatchback soon.

Quote:
we have now got confirmation that Tata Motors is, in fact, planning to discontinue the Bolt hatchback. Sources claim that the company is slowing winding down the production of the Bolt in India and will eventually be stopped soon. Apparently, the company feels that the price of the Bolt is too high to survive in the segment, especially with top players like the Maruti Suzuki Baleno and the Hyundai i20 as competition in the market.

Tata Motors saw the sales go down, especially after the launch of the Maruti Suzuki Baleno. This is why, the carmaker has now decided to shift its focus on the recently launched the Tiago , which doing exceptionally well ever since its launch.

Currently, Tata Motors sells the Bolt hatchback both as private cars and as fleet vehicles for taxi services. That said we have yet to confirm whether the carmaker will stop the production for both the verticals or continue to manufacture the car only as fleet vehicles.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 16:06   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
NDTV Auto reports that Tata Motors will be discontinuing production of the Bolt hatchback soon.
Today's Tata ad in TOI (Mumbai edition) featured Tata Safari, Zest and Tiago. There was no mention of Bolt, so this may well be true.

Makes sense from Tata's point of view to consolidate and realign their portfolio. Not sure how bad this is going to impact the existing owners though.
aviat18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 12:09   #501
BHPian

First drive of Bolt EV and the reviewer seems to be mighty impressed with the space and the interior quality.
http://www.redferret.net/?p=53439

Last edited by damodar : 21st September 2016 at 12:20.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 14:40   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Now this article on IBT adds to confusion:
No plan to discontinue Bolt hatchback, says Tata Motors

Quote:
Update 20 September: Tata Motors spokesperson has clarified to International Business Times, India that the company has no plans to discontinue the Bolt hatchback.
carbhaari is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 00:03   #503
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhaari View Post
Now this article on IBT adds to confusion:
No plan to discontinue Bolt hatchback, says Tata Motors
I have a query, suitable response would be highly appreciated

I booked Tata zest yesterday (XMS petrol) at concorde motors Paschim Vihar (Delhi). Went to the Bank and cleared all loan formalities. Today when i went to the dealer for down-payment, surprisingly he said Zest prices has been increased. Increase in ex showroom price is about 899, but overall total on road cost including road tax, mcd charges etc in Delhi has been increased by 22300 rupees approximately. This was a big blow as I am already running tight on my budget. I asked for Bolt XMS Revotron but he responded that Bolt is not coming from Production line. Meanwhile enquired from other tata dealers in Delhi & Gurgaon but they said Bolt is available.

What should I do now, kindly suggest. My first hands on experience with tata sales is quite confusing. Or else shall I book Swift VXi if the same story telling continues?

Thanks

Last edited by OneToughRider : 7th November 2016 at 00:20. Reason: Typo
OneToughRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 11:52   #504
BHPian

My Friend,
Bolt is definitely available and honest suggest would be to go for Bolt XM without second thought.
I have seen Bolt in concorde motors sanathnagar hyderabad as week.
Bolt rides brilliantly than Zest and more responsive and fuel efficient than Zest. gear shifts is smooth and plush than Zest.
Best value for money - Bolt XM variant which comes with safety features like ABS, power windows, music system should be best value for money.

My car after one year
Bolt Revotron XM

Name:  TMPDOODLE1478499849830.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  237.6 KB

Name:  TMPDOODLE1478499868568.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  229.0 KB

Name:  TMPDOODLE1478499889869.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  251.9 KB

Note from Support:
One picture has been deleted as it did not adhere to the language standards on Team BHP.
Thanks,
Support Team

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2016 at 07:49. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Rama Naveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 18:16   #505
BHPian

Hi GTO,
It's been quite sometime now, has the misfiring issue been sorted by Tata service centre guys ?
Old 12th November 2016, 18:28   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Has anyone noticed a FE drop after an oil change service ? I'm facing this issue after the 2nd service where oil was changed. FE dropped from about 11kmpl to 9kmpl under city driving conditions in city mode. While I want to avoid taking it TASS are there any checks I could do myself ? Have checked the air pressure, FE quality etc. I've been doing this over last 1month since service to rule out any such common errors
Hi Narayan,
Is there any improvement lately in the mileage buddy?

If problem continues, then try cleaning air filter or replace air filter mate.
Due to use of adulterated fuel, fuel injectors gather carbon deposits in short span and thus leading to drop in performance and efficiency.
Also in next servicing it is highly recommended to use full synthetic oil and TSS charge Rs460 per litre for 5w30 grade full synthetic oil.
Thanks
Rama
Old 12th November 2016, 18:35   #507
BHPian

[url="
Rama Naveen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 08:59   #508
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
Hi Narayan,
Is there any improvement lately in the mileage buddy?

If problem continues, then try cleaning air filter or replace air filter mate.
Due to use of adulterated fuel, fuel injectors gather carbon deposits in short span and thus leading to drop in performance and efficiency.
Also in next servicing it is highly recommended to use full synthetic oil and TSS charge Rs460 per litre for 5w30 grade full synthetic oil.
Thanks
Rama
Hi Rama
I had taken it to TASS and they dud a full check up including very in if the brake calipers are too tight. No issues reported. The issue is mainly I think the MID. earlier, when I start a journey, the FE starts at a high and starts dropping of to realistic levels. Now it starts at 8kmpl and gently climbs up. Not sure how this change occurred.
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 15:03   #509
BHPian

Last month I took my Bolt Revotron to Sanathnagar Tata Motors and they took close to 6 hours and I got bored sitting in customer lounge, of ourselves they provide wifi facility to customers.

This was my second free service and since one of my friend compelled me to visit Sanathnagar, I went ahead. Previous first service was done at Detroit motors ECIL and now that place is taken over by Kwid.

So I was looking for another reliable service centre.
Since 20 days I have been receiving "Mega Service camp" message from Tata Motors, so I thought let me try Brindavan Motors Tadbund.

Guys showed me the state of AC filter and by this I can estimate what kind of engine oil they might of poured, so I asked them to go for semi-synthetic oil change. This last just one month old oil was dead black and apologies I could not take the picture since the guy took away flushed it one drum kept in corner before I realised it.

The guys are really good when approached and don't hesitate to explain the stuff. More and more cars of different brands came in and were following the sequence.

I then had chance to speak to Manager Kashinath who was patiently explaining about what all they would follow in next servicing like Using some Barhdal flush and Barhdal tuner to get rid of accumulated particles and also would keep the engine in best condition.
I think they took close to 2 hours and 30 min approximately
I also enquired if they ever attempted engine swap and he confirmed they indeed done it in 2008, engine swap of petrol to diesel and it was successful.
Overall I am Happy the way Brindavan Motors operate and I don't think they cheat on you.
What I noticed was 6 technicians come together and work on a single car so I believe this segregation of duty to more guys helps single technician to focus better than only 2 guys in Sanathnagar Tata Motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Bolt 1.2L Revotron : Official Review-dsc_0174.jpg  

Old 10th December 2016, 15:04   #510
Senior - BHPian

Tata Bolt BEV review, test driven by ACI. The Bolt BEV is not on sale yet but gives a sneak peek into Tata Motorsí EV future

Quote:
The thorny issues of range, charging infrastructure and battery costs are still big hurdles for EVs. In fact, the cost of the lithium-ion battery pack alone for the Bolt BEV is upwards of Rs 12 lakh, which pushes the price of the car to over Rs 20 lakh! Not even the most zealous of eco-warriors will pay that much for what looks like a standard Bolt. This rules out any chance of the Bolt BEV making it into showrooms and, for now, itís just a demonstration of Tata Motorsí EV technology
Quote:
A 109hp electric motor drives the Bolt BEV via a single-speed transmission. Itís not as powerful or light as the Revotron turbo-petrol, but judging an electric car by its power-to-weight ratio can be quite misleading. TMETC claims, the Bolt BEV is the most exciting Tata car to drive and, for the first 100 km
Quote:
Designed and developed by the Tata Motors European Technical Centre (TMETC) headquartered in Coventry, the Bolt BEV isnít a purpose-built electric car and thatís the point. TMETC didnít want to compromise the practicality of the spacious Bolt and used the carís existing packaging to slot in the battery pack, electric motor and controllers.
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  49.0 KB
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 733
Size:  59.8 KB
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  34.7 KB
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  48.1 KB
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 732
Size:  61.0 KB

Quote:
Top-end performance isnít an electric carís strength Ė after the initial burst to around 100kph in under-12 seconds, the Bolt BEV struggles to gather pace. On switching to Eco mode from Sport, which cuts the power by a substantial 38 percent to 68hp, the Bolt feels proportionately slower, much slower. Itís not the mode you want to drive in but it may well be the mode that gets you home. The Bolt BEVís declared range of 120km is achieved in Eco mode, but in real-world conditions, that drops to just 80km. Itís not a particularly great range by todayís EV standards, but itís good enough for the average round trip from home to office.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th December 2016 at 15:09.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote