Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 11:27   #31
BHPian

re: Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic

Thanks Tushar for a detailed review. You have a good eye for detail!

Unfortunately, no SUV today is perfect:
- Fortuner - good build, great A$$, but bad brakes, shocks and interior equipment
- Pajero Sport - good standalone product on all counts, but very thin A$$.
- Santa Fe - costly (and how!), and not a great road presence or off roading capability
- Rexton - still to be established as a worthy cousin in all these aspects.

People who buy any of these, know the pluses and minuses. In my opinion - the 4x4 AT will sell only for exclusivity and show-off value. Its minuses are the really low FE, and the hefty price tag, apart from the other brakes, shocks etc.

Also, I didn't understand one point: why would we be allowed to switch off something like VSC - shouldn't it be always on by default, as it is a safety feature?

Last edited by anshuman_v : 11th February 2015 at 11:29.
anshuman_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 11:36   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Also, I didn't understand one point: why would we be allowed to switch off something like VSC - shouldn't it be always on by default, as it is a safety feature?
For off-road driving I guess. VSC is Toyota's version of ESC (Electonic Stability Control) that cuts power to the engine or keeps jabbing the brakes to keep the vehicle stable if its detects loss of control during high speed driving. But this could be problematic in low speed off-roading or in snowy conditions.

Last edited by SmartCat : 11th February 2015 at 11:38.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 12:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

You retire gracefully and people remember you for how awesome you were when your were in your prime. The trick is to know when your times up. I can name a couple sports persons who were destined to retire, then did, only to come back to the sport once more and ruin it all for them and for their fans.

The 4X4 Auto Fortuner here is a lame half-baked attempt by Toyota to milk as much as it can on Toyota reliability. Sure there were some who hoped for an automatic 4X4 Fortuner but not with this unjust price tag! There aren't going to be many takers willing to pay premium money for a product that offers less than half of its less than half priced competition.

As much as everyone loved the Fortuner as a bullet proof, no-nonsense, go-anywhere SUV, unfortunately now it has presumably lost all its gung-ho! Effectively, Toyota with this iteration of the Fortuner at this price has dug its own grave.

Question is if Toyota continues this practice of pricing its new launches this ridiculously, do we really want the all-new Fortuner?
9thsphinx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 15:16   #34
BANNED

Fortuner is definitely the king on Indian roads, I never had to use my horn or dipper to get way, people ahead just realize the presence coming and make way. No other vehicle in India have I recognized such kind of respect from other than the cayenne. This also leads to less fatigue during my drives.

Last edited by Zappo : 11th February 2015 at 16:09. Reason: No SMS type spelling shotcuts please.
Old 11th February 2015, 15:56   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Old school CVT auto box further enhances the bullet proof reliability.(over a DSG)
This isn't a CVT; it's a torque-converter AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
the only good Fortuner is a pre-owned one
Not sure I would agree with that, as the Fortuner enjoys great residuals and even pre-owned ones are expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
In the table above you have mentioned the torque spread as from 1,400 - 3200 rpm. Please correct the discrepancy.
Thanks! Corrected.

Quote:
We never advise our fellow BHPians for it's mall roading abilities but for it's proper offroading and go anywhere abilities. Now tell me does Santa Fe even come close to it. It will be a great disservice to both the vehicles in question to be compared. The vehicles to which it should be compared are other proper offroaders like Endeavour, Rexton and Pajero sport.
A majority of Fortuners sold are 4x2, not 4x4. That immediately tells me that a large number of its owners don't care about offroading. And for those that don't offroad, the comfortable, refined & smooth Santa Fe is a superior choice.

Quote:
Endeavours middle row is pathetic. It's ride quality is reportedly worse than even Fortuner's
I was talking about the next-generation Endeavour, not the current one which is as outdated as the Fortuner is.

Quote:
Now with the above points please tell me what a person who is looking to visit difficult to reach areas with his/her extended family is supposed to be buying
Lets not forget that cars like the Santa Fe, CR-V, Yeti etc. do have AWD. Translated, they can easily get you through the 'difficult to reach' areas of rural India, exotic travel destinations (e.g. Leh Ladakh), your weekend farmhouse, beaches and more.

What the Fortuner & Pajero Sport can do over and above is more serious offroading (but not as serious as the type that Jeeps & Gypsies can handle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
I would recommend anyone to buy a sedan for INR 20 lakh and spend the rest of the budget on a Gypsy/MM540 for offroading.
No one buys a Fortuner purely for offroading. They do so to have 'one vehicle' that can travel fast on the highway, and also go to offroad-friendly places. Something a Jeep or Gypsy can't do.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 16:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
The Toyota Fortuner 3.0 AT 4x4 has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 26.59 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:

• Offroad capability with 4x4, low ratio transfer case, LSD & lockable diff
Is the 4x4 AT coming with a LSD ? I did not see it on Toyoto website. Could some one clarify this.
Old 11th February 2015, 16:18   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, for 90% of the urban-type population (like me), there are better options. I'd pick the Santa Fe (or even the XUV500) over the Fortuner any which day. It is just so much more refined, comfortable, smooth & feature-loaded than the crude, bumpy Fortuner. To someone who lives & drives primarily on tarmac, buying a Fortuner is pointless. Its overkill...like wearing a bullet-proof vest to work every day because you are scared of terrorists. For all that rough road capability & abuse-friendly nature, you just give away too much. Especially if you aren't going to use that capability.
+1

Maybe, everyone did not read your entire comment. For any city dweller, it indeed is an overkill vehicle unless they want to make a statement or bully others.

Actually, gauging a consumer's mind is difficult. Some buy because of it being a Toyota and that they want a 30L SUV and want a bit of exclusivity & safety. Safety...? A high seating vehicle which can take on anything (This is what most say when queried)

Politicos & real estate people, contractors have to go off the beaten track and for them, it is almost the perfect vehicle. The front seats are pretty comfortable. But for them who do not go off the road or do not travel on bad roads often can surely give it a miss.

Quote:
heavy steering & the basic interiors wore me down. I can tell you that doesn't happen too often.
I did not understand the bit about the heavy steering part. Has the AT 4X4 variant's steering got harder?

Quote:

A majority of Fortuners sold are 4x2, not 4x4.
Has Toyota shared any numbers on the 4X2 & 4X4 selling ratio? I have spotted more 4X4's than 4X2, but then, few buy a Top Model (& thump chest)

Quote:
No one buys a Fortuner purely for offroading. They do so to have 'one vehicle' that can travel fast on the highway, and also go to offroad-friendly places. Something a Jeep or Gypsy can't do.
+1

I believe this AT and 4X4 combo is targeted mostly at the class who lap up the Fortuner like no other. They do sometimes take the wheel and AT is a boon in 4X4 avatar. Even for few enthusiasts who like to travel and want it hassle free (without going through the 'box)
Old 11th February 2015, 16:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A majority of Fortuners sold are 4x2, not 4x4. That immediately tells me that a large number of its owners don't care about offroading. And for those that don't offroad, the comfortable, refined & smooth Santa Fe is a superior choice.

Lets not forget that cars like the Santa Fe, CR-V, Yeti etc. do have AWD. Translated, they can easily get you through the 'difficult to reach' areas of rural India, exotic travel destinations (e.g. Leh Ladakh), your weekend farmhouse, beaches and more.

What the Fortuner & Pajero Sport can do over and above is more serious offroading (but not as serious as the type that Jeeps & Gypsies can handle).

As a Fortuner owner, I keep telling folks that don't go for a Fortuner if you don't use/need 4X4. The compromises are too many.

Ideal use cases for a 4x4 Fortuner - all of them reinforce each other; note that there are better alternatives when considering a single use case:
* You do long roadtrips and are pressed for time (fast cruising)
* Drive extensively through no road areas or on bad roads (toughness). Indian roads are still horrendous and unpredictable in many places.
* Offroad at the end of a x000 km drive (use of 4x4).
* Drive through badlands or at night or through remote areas (the extra reliability)
* Need the extra space: carry people, or carry loads of gear
* Reliable service, low maintenance, good coverage across the country

Very few tick all these boxes like the 4x4 Fortuner.

Re: the new 4x4 AT: I like the black interiors!
nilanjanray is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 23:01   #39
BHPian

Overpriced! Toyota's greed getting bigger every passing day, just cashing on the huge reliability tag, damn of course it is, but my personal perspective, I must say Hyundai makes highly reliable products, of course my comparison may be skewed but hey I have a Sonata crdi and it's been impressive on the reliability scales, I must say comparable to my City, give and take a few, my small Fabia ends up with the highest bills of the three.
So if reliability is the big point, I must tell all, don't miss on the Hyundai, and plus you get bonus comfort and features that Toyota arrogantly chooses to miss out on. Anyways I doubt anyone in India buys a 30L AWD to go mud ploughing and rock hopping, most are urban highway users wanting basic AWD, not necessarily saying that Hyundai is the best bet but at least that's a well put product supported by Hyundai's extensive service network.
Old 12th February 2015, 07:02   #40

Agree Hyundai scores well on reliability. Is it woth at that price, I am talking about Santa Fe? It's delicate and at the same time Fortuner 4x4AT is 31.2L and Santa Fe AT AWD is 33.8L. Santa Fe's resale value is also very low.
Old 12th February 2015, 13:16   #41
BHPian

Had gone to the local Toyota dealership to replace my Innova's seat-belt (seat-belt retracting mechanism had gone kaput, of left middle seat after accident). I saw a black 4x4 AT parked.

Called my friend Girish and wanted to confirm the presence of Traction Control (not that I don't believe in Team-BHP but the picture is not showing TRC off in this review).

Even he or anybody else for that matter were clueless about the presence of Traction Control. Followed what Tushar mentioned the procedure to switch off TRC. When I pressed VSC button once TRC off icon lit up.

When I pressed it twice nothing happened (I had forgotten press and hold from the review).

Then I asked for owner's manual, read the relevant part and took pictures. One has to press and hold for more than 3 seconds to deactivate the VSC.

Here are the relevant pictures.

I had one more doubt and I couldn't clarify it from my visit to the dealership. By locking the central differential the VSC gets automatically switched off, but what happens to TRC. Why I am asking is TRC is a desirable feature to have offroad not VSC (ESP).

One more thing I observed (may be I am wrong). When Girish locked the central differential in HL mode VSC off icon did not lit up, but in LL mode it lit up. Can somebody explain why?

And can't we disable VSC alone without disabling the TRC.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-img_20150212_102339.jpg  

Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-img_20150212_110234.jpg  

Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-img_20150212_103701_1.jpg  

Last edited by mroptimist : 12th February 2015 at 13:19. Reason: Added a query.
mroptimist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
For any city dweller, it indeed is an overkill vehicle unless they want to make a statement or bully others.

Has Toyota shared any numbers on the 4X2 & 4X4 selling ratio? I have spotted more 4X4's than 4X2, but then, few buy a Top Model (& thump chest)
What's wrong with poor city dwellers?

I nowadays spot more 4X2s in Bangalore. I guess preferences could vary based on the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
Overpriced! Toyota's greed getting bigger every passing day.

Anyways I doubt anyone in India buys a 30L AWD to go mud ploughing and rock hopping
As long as the Fortuner keeps selling well, what incentive does Toyota have to reduce price?

Re: using an AWD or a 4x4 (was a few lakhs cheaper than 30L when the vehicle was bought) - the first shot was taken 1500km from the home base, during a 40 km drive through a forest trail to reach a forest rest house. This section was a decent one. There were rocky and slushy sections that called for low range. The 2nd and 3rd shots were taken 2300 km away from the home town. A 25km drive through a reserve forest in Uttarakhand just to buy chicken and other supplies from a village outside the forest.

A 4x4 does add some charm to life if you are adventurous minded.

Inside Satpura National Park.Excuse the image quality - taken with an ancient mobile phone
Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-1458662_571592149556371_1063862665_n.jpg

Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-dsc_8600.jpg

Review: 2015 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 Automatic-dsc_8621.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 14:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
A 4x4 does add some charm to life if you are adventurous minded.
For the benefit of people who are not accustomed to 4x4 ( like myself), would these snaps be possible if you had a AWD Duster or AWD Santa Fe instead?
Old 12th February 2015, 14:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
For the benefit of people who are not accustomed to 4x4 ( like myself), would these snaps be possible if you had a AWD Duster or AWD Santa Fe instead?
These locations/shots, yes. But some steep stretches called for 4LL, and some required high ground clearance (especially in the Satpuras - it was just after the park had opened, many tracks were not yet rebuilt after monsoons). I am not familiar with AWD Dusters or Santa Fe, so can't really tell. I am sure they can handle slush as well or better (especially the lighter Duster). Not sure about steep stretches or GC.

But having a tough 4x4 with LL is like having insurance - peace of mind, less chance of damage to a vehicle. You can drag a kicking and screaming non-'4x4 + LL' (or non-AWD) vehicle through all sorts of stretches. But at what cost, especially if you are playing a long way from your home town, or even an ASC? And don't have buffer leave for an unplanned workshop visit?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th February 2015 at 14:19.
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 14:21   #45

A recent drive in december to forests of Kanha Kisli in a 2014 4x4 fortuner was interesting. We also had an XUV500 W8 AWD along for the trip. The XUV 500 was far more comfortable compared to the fortuner. The girls who came along all piled up in the fortuner expecting a more comfortable drive but were complaining after we reached the destination. Compared to that the XUV was more comfortable with noticeably less bumps making their presence felt and it felt less tiring in the 5 hours in the XUV compared to 2 and a half hours spent in the fortuner.
turbopravs is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed