Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 14th July 2016, 09:26   #271
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review

Hello guys,

I had mentioned in my earlier post about the delay I encountered when I went to pick up my car after its 2nd Service.
Before I could leave the Service Center, I was asked to fill a feedback form. One of the points was "Car was ready and delivered on time". For this, I ticked the NO option. Down below in the additional comments section, I wrote- Car delivering delayed, no intimation given by SA.
The SA read this, smiled and said he is sorry. He then gave me a free wash plus check-up coupon. He insisted I utilize this coupon and he would take good care of the car.
I said thanks and left for home. The next day I get a call from their Relationship Manager. He apologized for the delay and said he would be sending a small gift for me, to my home. In the evening, I get a Wurth micro-fiber cloth. It is followed up by another call from the Service Center confirming if I had got the gift.

Just goes to show the commitment Hyundai and Advaith have towards customer satisfaction. Kudos to the entire team.
drive2eternity is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 21:48   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a short drive in my friends face-lifted Verna. It's the 1.4 petrol version. Also had quite an extensive ride as a passenger (front & rear).

• AMAZING REFINEMENT & NVH!!! At times, you have to see the taco to understand whether the motor is running.
  • Interior quality is definitely good. Am not too sure I'll rate it as good as Elite i20 though; didn't feel so premium, may be because this was not a top end.
  • Short & Precise gearshift
  • Decent rear space; definitely not more; adequate for a 5'9" & 6'2" guy, sitting front & back
  • Suspension is silent & quite decent; not very wallowy
  • Very less noise intrusion in cabin while cruising @ 80 kmph
  • A very good cruiser
  • Quite decent stock music system
  • Concealed boot lid interior (with proper cladding material)! When the competitors have gone all naked, this gives a feel good factor.
Improvement:
  • The A/C @ speed 1 is a joke, didn't cool the cabin even when it was drizzling outside, with just 2 guys in the car
  • Artificial steering feel with strong centre return action.
  • The under thigh support at the rear (for a 6"2' guy
  • Low end torque can be improved, but it's quite ok once gets going
It's quite amazing how Hyundai has grown through the times; no wonder how they set the sales charts on fire for most products. They probably are not addressing the "enthusiasts" now, but cater to a vast audience otherwise. It's a fact that except the steering, there was definitely not much to complain; but then, it's a NO for me. I really hate such a strong centre back action; it feels like a very strong spring deployed to achieve that.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th August 2016 at 21:56. Reason: Added last point in "Likes" section
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 00:15   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Had a short drive in my friends face-lifted Verna. It's the 1.4 petrol version. Also had quite an extensive ride as a passenger (front & rear).
Most of your experience was as expected, except the ac part. That car has a malfunctioning Ac, apparently. All Verna's have had excellent Ac's from day one. All the more better on the fluidic. Or maybe you had ignored the temperature setting. Its very precise on Verna and if you have it on Auto, all you have to touch is the temperature setting. On a rainy day it should never be needed to be lower than 20-22.

The 1.6 petrol would have been a peppier experience. But it can't ever beat the punch of that sweet 'n silky 1.6 crdi mill . Powerband is a bit off but it's ultimate otherwise.
pixantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 02:46   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Most of your experience was as expected, except the ac part. That car has a malfunctioning Ac, apparently. All Verna's have had excellent Ac's from day one. All the more better on the fluidic...
This car didn't have an ACC, but the manual AC. It chilled quite well on blower speed 2, but not much on blower 1. I doubt whether the AC had any issue since bower 2 had good cooling. The car is just 4 months old, had just come back from the 10K service too - I'd be inclined to rule out any abnormal functioning since my friend did acknowledge a lesser cooling on speed 1 was normal. I'd be happy to read more reports from someone having a 1.4L petrol version to check any difference.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 09:43   #275
BHPian

Quote:

Improvement:
[*] The A/C @ speed 1 is a joke, didn't cool the cabin even when it was drizzling outside, with just 2 guys in the car
[*] Artificial steering feel with strong centre return action.
[*] The under thigh support at the rear (for a 6"2' guy
Hello Swiftnfurious,

I think this is the 1st time I am reading someone mention details about the 1.4 VTVT Verna. It would be interesting if you could pen down a small summary from the driver's seat.

Coming to the list of improvements mentioned by you,
1- A/C for the Verna's equipped with Auto climate control is pretty effective. So this is definitely something we did not expect from the Manual AC.
2- You mentioned your experience is as a passenger. Wonder how you judged the strong center return action of the steering.
3- Under thigh support and head room would be a premium for anyone above 6 feet in any of the cars. I think you would agree with me on this. I am 6 feet tall and my head touched the ceiling in the New Honda City and the Ciaz. It doesn't touch in the Verna and Vento/ Rapid. How has your experience been in either of these Sedans, cause given your height, you should be more comfortable in a Fortuner.
drive2eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 14:22   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
... It would be interesting if you could pen down a small summary from the driver's seat...
Everything written is a mix of feedback as both a driver & passenger.

Quote:
...2- You mentioned your experience is as a passenger. Wonder how you judged the strong center return action of the steering...
Highlighted the portion which would give you the answer.

Quote:
Had a short drive in my friends face-lifted Verna. It's the 1.4 petrol version. Also had quite an extensive ride as a passenger (front & rear)......
--------------

Quote:
...1- A/C for the Verna's equipped with Auto climate control is pretty effective. So this is definitely something we did not expect from the Manual AC...
I am not too sure whether the A/C units in 1.4L petrol has a different capacity? I am still not sure why would a manual AC be sub par to a ACC otherwise.

Quote:
...3- Under thigh support and head room would be a premium for anyone above 6 feet in any of the cars. I think you would agree with me on this....
Not all of the cars for sure! There are cars which are comfortable for 6 footers. Safari / Storme is an excellent comfortable car. I think there is one more which impressed me so much, but can't recollect now. These are from the cars which I have experienced, there are lot more which I haven't been in. But yes, a whole lot of cars (80%) would have the limitation that you mentioned.

Quote:
...I am 6 feet tall and my head touched the ceiling in the New Honda City and the Ciaz. It doesn't touch in the Verna and Vento/ Rapid. How has your experience been in either of these Sedans, cause given your height, you should be more comfortable in a Fortuner...
One of the very reasons I mentioned the height along with the feedback.

My head did scrape at the rear of the current gen Honda City; funnily my friend (who owns the Verna) recollected this feedback of mine from our ride in the City an year back! I haven't been at the rear of a Ciaz, but this will happen for any car which has a sloping roof. I didn't have a problem in Nissan Sunny either.

I think it's beneficial for a reader if we mention all the findings (along with specifics) while experiencing a product. You'll see me mentioning height / weight etc while reviewing certain parameters which can be relative.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2016, 11:31   #277
BHPian

I have a 2014 Fluidic Verna - the one with the updated suspension and diamond-cut alloys , and I have been facing a relatively small but unusual issue with it.
The horn doesn't seem to be working properly, I.e. it doesn't seem to sound at full volume at times. I'm not sure if this has a dual-horn setup, but it sounds like only 1 out of the 2 works at times. It's intermittent - sometimes works properly, other times doesn't.
The service guys at Trident seem to be too incompetent to figure out what's wrong as they haven't been able to fix this over the past 3 services! They say it's fine, and then after sometime it's back to square one!
Has anyone faced a similar issue with their cars? Any help would be appreciated.

Mods : Posting here as my model is mechanically closer to the 4S. Please move if necessary.

Quote:
Most of your experience was as expected, except the ac part. That car has a malfunctioning Ac, apparently. All Verna's have had excellent Ac's from day one. All the more better on the fluidic. Or maybe you had ignored the temperature setting..
Maybe it's because its a 1.4. Must be using a smaller compressor, in order to not sap the engine of too much power, which would make it sluggish.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th September 2016 at 23:31. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
Rohan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 21:07   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
The service guys at Trident seem to be too incompetent to figure out what's wrong as they haven't been able to fix this over the past 3 services! They say it's fine, and then after sometime it's back to square one!
Has anyone faced a similar issue with their cars? Any help would be appreciated.

Mods : Posting here as my model is mechanically closer to the 4S. Please move if necessary.
Hi Rohan,

I have not faced such an issue on my Verna. Maybe you should try changing the service center. Drop into the Advaith Center on the ORR, its pretty big and I have had good experience with the service guys there.

Do keep us posted.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2016, 22:09   #279
BHPian

Need advice. Will the new 2016 Verna Petrol SX (16 inch wheels) survive in the long run if I have to go through almost 4 kms of bad roads, potholes, slush, speed breakers everyday? I ask this because it's obviously a Sedan and not made/meant to be an off-road type vehicle. Also, because I keep hearing of this soft rear suspensions on this car.

Last edited by komalthecoolk : 12th September 2016 at 22:23. Reason: Adding another question.
komalthecoolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 00:32   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Need advice. Will the new 2016 Verna Petrol SX (16 inch wheels) survive in the long run if I have to go through almost 4 kms of bad roads, potholes, slush, speed breakers everyday? I ask this because it's obviously a Sedan and not made/meant to be an off-road type vehicle. Also, because I keep hearing of this soft rear suspensions on this car.
Your requirement commands an SUV/MUV/Softroader instead. Ford Ecosport, Honda BRV, etc should be what you're looking for. Or if Hyundai is a must then Creta. Why punish the sedan?
pixantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2016, 23:07   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Your requirement commands an SUV/MUV/Softroader instead. Ford Ecosport, Honda BRV, etc should be what you're looking for. Or if Hyundai is a must then Creta. Why punish the sedan?
I absolutely agree with you but my confusion is that the difference in ground clearance of Verna as compared to something like the Ecosport is just 3.5 cms. I just wanted to know from Verna owners, in their everyday scenario, if this ground clearance is enough to handle Indian roads, potholes and speed bumps. I am not consciously trying to take the car through torture
Old 13th September 2016, 23:39   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The horn doesn't seem to be working properly, I.e. it doesn't seem to sound at full volume at times. I'm not sure if this has a dual-horn setup, but it sounds like only 1 out of the 2 works at times. It's intermittent - sometimes works properly, other times doesn't.
Has anyone faced a similar issue with their cars? Any help would be appreciated....
There is something called a horn tuning where these guys tighten some nut to get the horn output correct. Please get that done. Else, its better to visit another A$$ to check it. If it's not working as per your satisfaction levels, you shoukd ask them to replace it in warranty.

Quote:
Soft suspension doesn't mean the suspension is soft, rather the tuning is soft to achieve the desired dynamics. Unless you belt the car through bad roads, it should be fine. Any suspension can take a bit of abuse, but you may need a quicker overhauling of bushes if frequent on bad roads. I think this will be the same for an SUV as well.

Plus, I don't think the current Verna scrapes all that easily when I was riding on my friend's car. It looked like it had ample GC suspension tuning to take care of bumps.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th September 2016 at 23:45.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 00:48   #283
BHPian

Quote:
There is something called a horn tuning where these guys tighten some nut to get the horn output correct. Please get that done. Else, its better to visit another A$$ to check it. If it's not working as per your satisfaction levels, you shoukd ask them to replace it in warranty.
Thanks, I did not know about the tuning! I will check it out.

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you but my confusion is that the difference in ground clearance of Verna as compared to something like the Ecosport is just 3.5 cms. I just wanted to know from Verna owners, in their everyday scenario, if this ground clearance is enough to handle Indian roads, potholes and speed bumps. I am not consciously trying to take the car through torture
Yes, it handles potholes and speed bumps rather well. You can't go through them as if there's nothing, like you would, say, in a Linea or a Duster, but it does not need to be babied over them.
Mine has done 15k till now and has scraped only a few times, which was due to me not being cautious. The suspension is stiffer than the previous model, so doesn't bottom out as much.
It even handled very mild off-roading(read very very bad roads) on outstation trips on few ocassions without any hiccup.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 09:44   #284
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, it handles potholes and speed bumps rather well. You can't go through them as if there's nothing, like you would, say, in a Linea or a Duster, but it does not need to be babied over them.
Mine has done 15k till now and has scraped only a few times, which was due to me not being cautious. The suspension is stiffer than the previous model, so doesn't bottom out as much.
It even handled very mild off-roading(read very very bad roads) on outstation trips on few ocassions without any hiccup.
Thanks guys. That gives me confidence. I had finalised on Ecosport petrol considering my height of 6'1", my above concern and budget of 12lakhs. But I'm getting nice offers on Verna and it sure is a big upgrade from my i10 Era
Old 14th September 2016, 21:55   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. That gives me confidence. I had finalised on Ecosport petrol considering my height of 6'1", my above concern and budget of 12lakhs. But I'm getting nice offers on Verna and it sure is a big upgrade from my i10 Era
Please see whether you can do a TD over the same bad patch in both vehicles. That'll give you very accurate feedback on the usage.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote