Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 16th September 2016, 23:04   #286
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review

Another question I gotto ask the owners of the newer versions of the Verna. I am 6'1" and I did not feel comfortable in the Ciaz or Honda but I did in the Verna. May be because of it's reach AND rake adjustment. I can take a test drive this weekend but at the maximum I could drive around for 10 minutes. I have lower back problems generally and my i10 seats did not help me at all. I'm leaning towards Ecosport, one of the reasons being it's great lumbar support but Hyundai is giving upto 80K discounts on the Verna on exchange for my old car!! I do want to give this a shot.

I wanted to ask long term owners of the Verna who're 6 feet tall or more to see if there is any back discomfort over long drives or while driving on bad roads for 30 minutes or more.
komalthecoolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 21:20   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Another question I gotto ask the owners of the newer versions of the Verna. I am 6'1" and I did not feel comfortable in the Ciaz or Honda but I did in the Verna.... wanted to ask long term owners of the Verna who're 6 feet tall or more to see if there is any back discomfort over long drives or while driving on bad roads for 30 minutes or more.
This is not a good idea as the feedback will always be relative based on the physique & health conditions of the ones replying. If Hyundai is giving 80K discount, it means they are keen to make a sale. Call the SA & tell him that you need a long TD to check the comfort levels because of your condition. Tell them you'll cut the cheque on the spot if you are sold on the car.

This should set the deal straight. Please never buy the car unless you find it satisfying in your usage scenarios. There is nothing wrong in asking a long TD as you are putting down some serious money & it's (should be) a buyer's market!! They company is not doing a favour by selling the car.

Edit:

To give you a perspective, I found the Ciaz nice enough during the TD. Am 6'2" tall. You get the 'relative' part? A taller driving position will give you a better comfort always is my take.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th September 2016 at 21:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 13:29   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
Another question I gotto ask the owners of the newer versions of the Verna. I am 6'1" and I did not feel comfortable in the Ciaz or Honda but I did in the Verna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is not a good idea as the feedback will always be relative based on the physique & health conditions of the ones replying.
Hello komalthecoolk,

I totally support the points put forward by swiftnfurious. Each one has a unique driving position and the best bet would be for you to take a longish test drive of the Verna and decide for yourself. I am 6 feet tall and have never experienced any discomfort in the long road trips in the Verna, but this does not mean you would be comfortable too. It is essential you try it out and only buy the car once you are confident.

I am pretty sure Hyundai sales rep will not think twice before offering you a long test drive.

All the best and do keep us posted with your decision.

PS- Sorry for the late reply.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 09:05   #289
BHPian

Hello guys,

Hope all are well. Last weekend I had to make a trip to the airport to pick up my wife. Her flight, which was initially to arrive at 10PM, got delayed to 2AM.

This drive gave me an opportunity to test the fuel efficiency of the 1.6 VTVT motor. I left home at 1AM on the Sunday night and maintained 60-80 kph. Minimal pressure on the accelerator was the primary aim. There was zero traffic and the only thing which was slowing me down were the speed breakers. And once I crossed Hebbal, it was a 'smooth' drive. I glanced at the MID just before the Toll and it showed 21.6 kmpl !! I felt immense joy.
Reached the airport and peeked at the MID, it showed 20.2 kmpl. The drop can be attributed to the construction work at BIAL which meant some slow detours.

The return journey was much the same and I got home, glanced at the MID and saw 20.5 kmpl. With a deep sense to accomplishment, I retired for the night.

Though these figures have no relevance in our day to day drives, just goes to show what can be achieved in absolute ideal conditions.

Lastly, I would like to thank:
1. The instantaneous fuel efficiency meter on the MID which was of great help as I was continuously adjusting my right foot based on it.
2. BDA/ BBMP or any other body for the great Hebbal to Airport road.
3. Air India for rescheduling the flight to such a time (much to the annoyance of my wife)

Last edited by drive2eternity : 4th October 2016 at 09:23.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 20:11   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
I glanced at the MID just before the Toll and it showed 21.6 kmpl !! I felt immense joy.
Reached the airport and peeked at the MID, it showed 20.2 kmpl. The drop can be attributed to the construction work at BIAL which meant some slow detours.

The return journey was much the same and I got home, glanced at the MID and saw 20.5 kmpl. With a deep sense to accomplishment, I retired for the night.
Hey,

My dad too was able to get a fuel economy of 17.6kmpl recently on an airport road drive (I can never achieve that with my driving ). I thought it was a one-off, but your post has made me believe its possible with very light throttle inputs and sedate driving.
I didn't know a NA petrol could deliver such figures!
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 19:49   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Hey,

My dad too was able to get a fuel economy of 17.6kmpl recently on an airport road drive (I can never achieve that with my driving ).

I didn't know a NA petrol could deliver such figures!
Hey Rohan, 17.6 kmpl is extremely good. I normally get 13-14 kmpl on airport trips. Maybe we can take some coaching from your dad.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 23:32   #292
BHPian

Hello Friends i just need your take on whether one should get the Engine Oil changed after every 5000 km instead of Recommended 10,000 Km in Diesel Fluidic Verna ? Do you believe purely in the fact that it can enhance the Engine Life ? All Comments For and Against are Welcome .
Warm Regards
honey_starhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2016, 23:56   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_starhoney View Post
Hello Friends i just need your take on whether one should get the Engine Oil changed after every 5000 km instead of Recommended 10,000 Km in Diesel Fluidic Verna ? Do you believe purely in the fact that it can enhance the Engine Life ? All Comments For and Against are Welcome .
Warm Regards
There is no harm changing engine oil every 5000 KM instead of recommended 10K KM interval. But I am not sure if it would really help in prolonging engine life. Manufacturer tests the car under various driving conditions and if they say 10K KM is good enough, then it should be . If you are driving normally, I would advise you to stick to recommended oil change interval. I have seen only guys who remap their cars doing little early oil and filters change, say every 7500 KM.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 21:20   #294
BHPian

Thanks Bhpians, Replies to the Query Much appreciated. Actually what i had in my mind is linked to my previous Ownership. I had previously owned Accent CRDI 2003 Model of which i changed the Engine Rings at 1.25 Lac Km and Engine Overhaul at 1.70 Lac Km which to me was Early. so i just had in mind that if i Increase the Oil change Frequency from 10k to 5k may be i can prolong the Engine Life. Though i have read the manual it says 10k duration but that was the case for Accent Crdi too so had my apprehensions . Thanks
honey_starhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 16:14   #295
BHPian

Saw a couple of good year end offers for the Verna and have a couple of questions;
a) How would you compare the structural safety of Verna in comparison to say the Vento or Rapid?
b) How about the ride and handling between the Verna and the Vento/Rapid
c) How is the 1.4 petrol engine (not available for TD) for highway cruising at 120kmph ?

Thanks a bunch!
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 16:56   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Saw a couple of good year end offers for the Verna and have a couple of questions;
a) How would you compare the structural safety of Verna in comparison to say the Vento or Rapid?
c) How is the 1.4 petrol engine (not available for TD) for highway cruising at 120kmph ?

Thanks a bunch!
Yes, there are great offers for Verna. But, there are some downsides to it. I will mention it at the last.

Now, coming to you're queries,

a. Simply put, Verna isn't as solid as Vento/Rapid. Right from sheet metal thickness, door heft, body panel strength, chassis rigidity. The Verna is inferior to the Vento/Rapid.

b. Again, the Ride & Handling (Dynamics) of the Verna is average compared to those 2. They are much better handlers & also have flat & composed ride.

c. That 1.4 Petrol is refined, but the car begs for a 1.6 Petrol which is better in terms of Performance and Drivability. Also, the 1.4 hardly sells compared to 1.6. Keep that in mind though.

Now, coming to the fact. The Verna is/was a good car in its early stage. But now the competition has become more fierce.
This car was successful because of its Styling more then anything else apart from Good After Sales Service of Hyundai. Having owned one (Sep 2011-Feb 2016), it was a good experience.

But, now it's at the end of its life cycle. So, I would advice you to stay away from Verna no matter how tempting the discounts might be. These kinds of discounts are provided by dealers/Company to fool people (Especially on cars to be discontinued soon).

The New Verna is completely different from current one. And it's worth the wait. It will be again making strong case for itself with Tech/Design/VFM Price etc. So I would suggest you to wait for the New Verna instead.

If you are looking at other Sedans in this price range, then you can look at Ciaz/City/Rapid Facelift. Or, if you are OK with a compact sedan, then the Ameo & Aspire are very good.

Cheers.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 08:47   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post

Thanks a bunch!
a) The Vento receives 4* NCAP ratings, the Verna (6-airbag variant) receives 5* NCAP ratings (Asean/China)
http://www.mycarhelpline.com/index.p...1354&Itemid=10
http://www.motoroids.com/news/live-2...aunched-india/

b) Vento/Rapid would be definitely better

c) I think it's pointless to go for the 1.4L petrol after paying a significant money, because there's a good chance you would regret it every day. While the 1.4L diesel seems just about acceptable (reading Creta's 1.4 diesel reviews), the 1.4 petrol would definitely struggle much more.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 10:38   #298

Dear Friends,
My Fluidic Verna Petrol has completed 51500 kms in 3.5 years of ownership. The experience has been extremely good till date. The car has been driven on so many routes across so many states. The serious ghats are yet to be explored (except having done the Mumbai Pune ghat section once).
The fuel efficiency has been always around 13.5-15.0.
The belly touches some nasty speed breakers on a fully loaded condition (Both cabin and boot). Otherwise ground clearance has been fine.
The pickup and power is phenomenal. I have touched 160 kmph on 2-3 occasions (a very short stint though). Did not try going beyond that and will not. The car felt extremely light at that point and it felt scary. The car however remains very stable at 120-130 kmph. So I would rate stability is also good. Anyone looking for regular speeds of 140 plus may not find it as stable as a Rapid / Vento.
The audio is superb. Hand mounted controls are fantastic.
Built in Bluetooth comes very handy. I don't use it everytime though.
Had to change the flywheel in the first 8 months. Hyundai changed it without any charge after a small fight. That was the only change that was done in the first 10000 kms. Rear disc brakes were changed at 46000 kms in regular service. No other parts required any change or repair. The second major and very recent (at around 48000 kms) replacement was for the Electronic Power Steering Unit.

The rear middle seat is possibly the only and biggest pain point of this car. When travelling with the fifth passenger , this problem comes into picture. My kid who is usually asked to take this spot complains big time of the seat being very un-comfortable. So if you are planning very frequent long drives (short drives of upto 1 hour is manageable) with five members then it becomes a point to bother.

I miss the rear window wiper (which used to be part of i10). Hyundai should consier to add it to the sedans.

Now coming to a query:
The tyres require a replacement. The factory fit is Bridgestone 195/55/R16. I checked with a vendor who suggests me to take the Michelin 205/60/r16. I am sceptic to go for the bigger size even though the vendor is trying to push it hard. I wish to remain on the same Bridgestone (make and size). Never had a puncture in 48000 kms. But had 3 in the past 3000 kms.
Has anyone tried the Michelin 205 size tyres in Fluidic Verna. How is the ownership experience. Do you recommend to stay on Bridgestone or upgrade to Michelin 205.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
kiyer_2000 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 16:59   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyer_2000 View Post
Now coming to a query:
The tyres require a replacement. The factory fit is Bridgestone 195/55/R16. I checked with a vendor who suggests me to take the Michelin 205/60/r16. I am sceptic to go for the bigger size even though the vendor is trying to push it hard. I wish to remain on the same Bridgestone (make and size). Never had a puncture in 48000 kms. But had 3 in the past 3000 kms.
Has anyone tried the Michelin 205 size tyres in Fluidic Verna. How is the ownership experience. Do you recommend to stay on Bridgestone or upgrade to Michelin 205.

Regards,
Karthik Iyer
Try Michelin PS3T in 205/55R16 or 205/50R16 (Ideal).
Being a softer compound, the ride will be much improved, and the tyres should be quieter than the bridgestones.
The life may not be as long as the bridgestones, and they may be more prone to punctures (in my experience though - no complaints after several michelin tyres across varied surfaces).
lamborghini is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 12:06   #300
BHPian

Hello All,

Been quite long since I posted an update here.

I spent the last four days driving on the various highways around Bangalore. Posting some details here.

Day 1
Bangalore to Kabini. 247 KMS. 4 hours 34 minutes.
Took the Kanakpura > Malavali > Kabini route.

Left home at 8:30 AM and encountered traffic before we could exit the city. Post that it was a smooth drive. The NH209 is a 2 lane highway, so kept speeds between 80-90. AC was ON throughout.
The car performed well. Got about 16 KMPL. There were some rough patches and the suspension and chassis did a commendable job. On one occasion, I missed a pothole, braked quite late and managed to avoid it, all the while my wife was sound asleep.

Day 2
Kabini to Bangalore. 253 KMS. 4 hours 58 minutes.
Took the Kabini > Malavali > Kanakpura route.

Left Kabini at 11:30 AM. It was uneventful drive till we crossed Kanakpura. Then, there were numerous detours due to work going on the highway. The detours were not roads. They were mud tracks with massive crests and troughs. With no option to turn back, I continued. The car handled all the bad road thrown at it without a fuss. No under body scraps. Reached the Shell bunk with the trip counter reading 498 KMS. The DTE showed 102 KMS and there were 2 bars showing at the fuel meter. Filled 32.1 liters of petrol. Hence, go a mileage of 15.5 KMPL.

Day 3
Bangalore to Chennai. 348 KMS. 6 hours 15 minutes.
Took the Hosur > Vellore > Sriperumbudur route.

Left home at 4:15 AM. Being a weekday, there was no traffic. I gently cruised at 110-115 KMPH most of the time. The highway is a dream to drive on. Luckily, there were no queues at any of the tolls. Reached Vellore at 6:50 AM, stopped for a break. Saw the MID and was pleasantly surprised to see it show a mileage of 18.7 KMPL. Since it was morning, the AC had been off with the blower running only in the fresh air mode. Hit Chennai at 9:25 AM and there was a huge traffic jam. The AC was switched ON and finally reached the hotel at 10:30 AM. Out of curiosity, checked the MID again and it showed 17.1 KMPL. NOT BAD !!

Day 4
Chennai to Bangalore. 344 KMS. 5 hours 40 minutes.
Took the Sriperumbudur > Vellore > Hosur route.

Checked out from the hotel started back at 1 PM. Refueled from the HP Pump adjacent to hotel, this set the MID to ZERO again. Extreme heat meant AC was running at 3-4 levels to keep us cool. Did not encounter much traffic leaving Chennai and we were soon on the highway. Drive was pretty uneventful apart from the not so good highway till Arcot. Post Arcot, the 6 lane highway was a delight to drive on. Again, as my rule, drove mostly between 110-115 KMPH. Not once did I feel the Verna's suspension being susceptible to uneven roads/bumps/irregularities. Stopped at a CCD after Vellore. Glanced at the MID, it showed 16.4 KMPL. Given the heat and the highway till Arcot, this was more than acceptable to me. Reached home at 6:40 PM by taking the Sarjapur road, therefore leaving behind the crazy evening traffic of Bangalore.

Overall, I covered 1192 KMS with Zero fatigue and 110% satisfaction.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 24th March 2017 at 12:13.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote