Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th June 2017, 19:39   #316
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
This car had the same 1.6 ltr gasoline engine, but it produced 136 HP and 166 NM of torque. Both higher than the Indian counterpart. It also had a 6 speed auto transmission.

Coming to features, below is the comparison:

It had Manual AC -vs- Climate control in my Verna
Forget diamond cut alloys, it doesn't even have alloy wheels.
175 R15 tires compared to the 16 inch wheels we get here.
No projector headlamps.
No steering mounted controls.
No keyless go and push button start.
No sliding armrest with storage. It has a single armrest for driver attached to driver's seat.
Just goes to show what's considered standard fare there compared to here. They know Indians value their features and gizmos more than the safety of the car! It's sad, the direction in which our industry is headed. Some cars get touchscreen infotainment, Android Auto,etc. but no rear headrests!
The Verna is relatively well loaded and safe as well, if you look at our market. ESP, etc. are only available from a segment higher (some exceptions are there).

The engine is the same 1.6 that we get here, probably with a different ECU mapping - thus the better output. I remember seeing that engine with different outputs doing duty in various Hyundai's and Kia's.
Other missing features that you have noticed, are probably just because it was a rental car and thus, it must have been the base model. I'm sure higher models will have all the features we do here.
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 08:12   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Just goes to show what's considered standard fare there compared to here. They know Indians value their features and gizmos more than the safety of the car! It's sad, the direction in which our industry is headed.
True Rohan. I had the same thoughts. Safety is the last thing which comes in the mind of most Indians while finalizing a car. The manufacturers just play along.
Yes, it was the base variant and hence the features were less. In fact, there are only 2 variants and apart from rear discs on the top end version, both have same safety features. Makes me sad when I see the difference in safety features in the lowest and top end Indian variants. Hope the 2017 Verna corrects it.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 15:30   #318
BHPian

Folks,
we are planning to buy the Hyundai Verna 4S 1.6 VTVT SX, consulted with a dealer in our locality, quite impressed with the vehicle.

The dealer has agreed to exchange our Ritz VXI for Rs.2,40,000, run only 25000kms, 2011 model. The offered price is quite decent I guess. Opinions are highly suggested.

The only worry of the Verna is its FE. The SA says that it would deliver 12 to 13 kms to a liter on city and 17 on highways. True? Owners, and fellow BHPians pls do mention the expected FE.

P.S: The reason for new purchase is purely due to the lack of safety features in the Ritz.

Keep revvin'
TOJO_GOTBHP

Last edited by Tojo_GotBhp : 12th June 2017 at 15:32.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 15:50   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo_GotBhp View Post
Folks,
we are planning to buy the Hyundai Verna 4S 1.6 VTVT SX, consulted with a dealer in our locality, quite impressed with the vehicle.
This model is going through the last few months of its life span and features are outdated compared to the other models in the segment.
Wait a few months for the new one. The features have been updated and might exceed those offered by the competition.
Quote:
The only worry of the Verna is its FE. The SA says that it would deliver 12 to 13 kms to a liter on city and 17 on highways. True? Owners, and fellow BHPians pls do mention the expected FE.
Fuel efficiency purely depends on how you drive and where you are driving.
City values are between 10-12kmpl. The lower values are seen for bumper to bumper traffic and 4 people onboard. Otherwise, its mostly 11+ for me.
Highway values are between 15-17kmpl .

Note:
1. I use full synthetic 5w40 engine oil on a 1.6 SX VTVT 2014.
2. AC is ON all the time.
3. I dont rev a lot and driving is mostly to extract more fuel efficiency.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2017 at 10:45. Reason: Typo fixed. Thanks
Myth_sx is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 15:59   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
This model is going through the last few months of its life span and features are outdated compared to the other model sin the segment.
Wait a few months for the new one. The features have been updated and might exceed those offered by the competition.
Yeah, am aware of the new one coming. The SA too said a mid-september launch, but we are quite satisfied with what the to be old Verna has to offer.
Anyways,thanks for the info sir. Appreciate it.

Quote:
City values are between 10-12kmpl. The lower values are seen for bumper to bumper traffic and 4 people onboard. Otherwise, its mostly 11+ for me.
Thanks for the prompt reply sir.
Can you pls share the average service expenses too? Would be highly helpful.
The FE you receive seems decent since its quite a powerful engine.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 09:08   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, am aware of the new one coming. The SA too said a mid-september launch, but we are quite satisfied with what the to be old Verna has to offer.
Hey Tojo,

Since you are satisfied with the features being offered by the current gen Verna, I would like to say - This is probably the best time to buy Verna 4S.. Make sure you bargain hard and get the maximum possible discounts.

As for the FE, my car also returns figures similar to what Myth_SX has mentioned. Bumper to bumper traffic of Bangalore sees 10 kmpl. Early morning, late night or Sunday city runs see 12-13 kmpl and highways are always 15+ kmpl. Have extracted 18 kmpl from the VTVT on the six lane highways too.
I cannot help with service costs as so far, my free services are going on and the bills normally hover around the 2000/- mark mostly.

Cheers !
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 15:29   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

P.S: The reason for new purchase is purely due to the lack of safety features in the Ritz.

Keep revvin'
TOJO_GOTBHP
Dear TOJO, you are making a great choice, i have been using 4S Verna VTVT since 2015 & my experience has been nothing short of pure exhilaration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
This is probably the best time to buy Verna 4S.[/b]. Make sure you bargain hard and get the maximum possible discounts.
Believe me, this will be one bargain you will never regret in life !

Quote:
This model is going through the last few months of its life span and features are outdated compared to the other model sin the segment.
I disagree !

No feature of Verna is outdated !...C'mon,... Hyundai Verna has always been much ahead of the market feature wise & have willfully introduced several measures that were the first for the industry, disc brakes, driver/ co-passenger air bags, curtain air bags, ABS, auto climate control,projector headlamps, all those that were available at least two notches above it's category. What else more does one need. Except for the Entertainment/Navigation touchscreen everything else is already there on the platter. ( I reckon the 2017 Model possesses one)

The new model will be a face lift & that's that, it's already beautifully loaded.

Quote:
Well said !...
Should you need the tremendous, class leading power that's available at your tap, do not expect reasonable FE, 9 in the city, 13 on the highway.
You can still get an FE of 11/12 in the city & 15/17 on highway by adhering to the correct gear slotting to the rpm & by not "redlining."

Service costs for the VTVT are never on a higher side, please make sure that you take her for very regular servicings after the free period of 10k is over, oil changes/oil filter changes at the prescribed intervals, break pads if needed, wheel alignments at every 6/7ks are some of the things one must keep in mind.

It's a terrific car to drive !.. Please tell your first experince after you have done the buy.
Happy & Safe motoring !
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 20:26   #323
BHPian

New Verna being tested on Chennai Outer ring road..Sorry for not so accurate pictures
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-20170617_103222.jpg

2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-20170617_103231.jpg

2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-20170617_103442.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th September 2017 at 10:46. Reason: Inserted the attached picture properly. Thanks
virgovencat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 10:51   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
New Verna being tested on Chennai Outer ring road..
Hey thanks. nice to see a sunroof there.
Hope the pricing doesn't go North, else the sales will remain to stay South.
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:04   #325
BHPian

Finally!
Welcone home!
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-img_20170702_152626.jpg
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-img_20170702_152615.jpg
After many discussions at home, cross-checking segments, numerous test drives, from hatchbacks to, pseudo-sedans to full- sized sedans, we chose the ol' favorite.

The car still manages to turn heads, and certainly doesn't look as old as what it's platform actually is, all thanks to the Fluidic concept of Hyundai. The car ages gracefully.

The Verna 4s wasn't even considered initially knowing the fact that an update is around the corner, possibly a mid-october release.

So, the main contenders were Ciaz, Vento, Rapid, Honda Jazz, Honda City, Elite i20, i20 Active and VW Ameo.

VW Vento and Ameo were ruled out because of the well known DSG-woes, resale value and long-term reliability quotient. With similar cons, the Rapid too was ruled out.

The Honda Jazz and City too had their own set of demerits.

Will pen down a detailed comparison soon.

Coming back to how we finalized on the Verna.
Some 3 weeks back, we had a test drive of the Elite i20 1.2 VTVT, first drawback of the vehicle was it's underpowered engine, it was very noticeable, more so as our old ride was a Ritz with a free-revving K12M engine.
So, for a proper upgrade we took a test drive of the Verna 1.6, boy oh boy, the way it surges ahead, addictive!

We were sold for the Fluidic design and the killer of an engine under the hood.

The car was booked at Kun Hyundai, Anna nagar east, Chennai. Color was the next dilemma, black was our first choice, but the SA made it clear that a black one would easily take a month to be delivered, grey was available, we were skeptical about grey as the old one too was a grey.

So, finalized on the white.
Projecto headlamps in action:
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-img_20170702_154725_01.jpg
Few more:
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-img_20170702_154818.jpg
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-img_20170702_152641.jpg
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-img_20170702_154711.jpg
Detailed review coming soon.
A bif thanks to BHPian drive2eternity, myth_sx and Nagesh Bhatt for their prompt reply on every enquiry about the vehicle.
Keep revvin'
Tojo_GotBhp
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 06:54   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Finally!
Welcone home!
Attachment 1653516
Congratulations, and wish you safe and happy driving!

Just curious: In the first pic, are the panel gaps really that large? Or is that an artifact of the camera-viewing-angle/photography? (In which case, we really ought to give the same benefit of doubt to several other cars (eg. Tata) who get often beaten up due to panel gaps)
vharihar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 15:19   #327
BHPian

Has anyone in this group upgraded the projector headlamps on the 4S ? Im contemplating whether to go the HID route or just Philips Xtremevision in same 55/60 configration.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 08:41   #328
BHPian

Quote:

Keep revvin'
Tojo_GotBhp
Congratulations Tojo. Black was my first choice in color too but the dusty ORR of Bangalore meant it would be a headache to maintain, hence I got 'stardust' grey. Since it already has 'dust' in the name, I thought it should be easier to maintain.

Jokes aside, enjoy the ride and looking forward to your comparison report before zeroing in to the Verna and also an ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Has anyone in this group upgraded the projector headlamps on the 4S ? Im contemplating whether to go the HID route or just Philips Xtremevision in same 55/60 configration.
drhoneycake has upgraded to HIDs. He has mentioned it in this thread, #306.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4181501 (2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review)

Not sure if anyone went for Philips Xtremevision. These bulbs are already added to my cart on Amazon, just haven't bought them yet. Probably would go for them if you give a positive review.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 4th July 2017 at 08:44.
Old 4th July 2017, 09:49   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
I own a Dec 2014 Verna SX CRDi and I have clocked 70,650 kms to date.

Only mods done are replacing OEM Halogen lights with OEM Projector lights and 35W 4300K HIDs. Rest of the car remains stock.
Is there a separate thread/writeup on your headlight bulb replacement. I felt really uncomfortable when I moved from the 130/100 on my I10 to the OEM Projectors of my Verna. Though I've grown accustomed to the set up over the last 2 years, still get an urge to replace this with HIDs or Philips Xtreme Vision
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 15:22   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

TOJO_GOTBHP
I have Verna CRDI since past 3 years. It gives me mileage of 12 in one of India's worst road in terms of traffic.
As soon as I start driving on weekends or non-peak hours, mileage hovers around 16 and highways it gives me 19-21 range.
Hope it helps.
Cooltronics is offline   Reply With Quote