Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 25th February 2015, 10:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...Does it still offer a remote control as earlier?

9. Rear cabin lamps (Present in Xcent).
Here are two pictures for your above questions...

Yes, it does have a remote control as earlier:
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-20150204-18.01.08.jpg

Not the most illustrative picture, but rear cabin lamps are visible:
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review-20150204-17.13.01.jpg
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2015, 11:26   #92
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But the real disappointment has been the minimal addition and even removal of features, coming from a company known to give the latest gizmos in its cars.
I am mentioning Xcent above since I have one and hence can easily point out the differences.
Absolutely agree with you. I had finalized Xcent AT but was waiting to see if the rumours about Elantra's 6-speed AT being included in Verna would be true or not (I wasn't really looking for a C2 sedan but a 6-speed AT would have tempted me and would have definitely gone for Verna if HMIL would have done that). After the launch, I also observed that Xcent has everything (and then some - example rear AC vents) so am going ahead with Xcent AT only now. I did not even bother to check out the 4S Verna in showroom.
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 19:11   #93
BHPian

A query: How can we copy multiple mp3 files on to Internal 1GB Hard drive. Copying one song at a time would be tedious and not worth it.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 20:46   #94
BHPian

Took a test drive of the top end 1.6 diesel today (within the city)

+ves
1. Good ride quality
2. Excellent fit and finish, feels plush and premium
3. ICE, though a little dated on the features/touch, still "looks" premium
4. Excellent engine refinement - can hardly make out that it's a diesel, sitting inside. Absolutely no comparison to the Vento/City diesel. Ciaz though is equally good in this department. Higher RPMs are not unpleasant.
5. Good head room at the rear. I felt that the rear seating has improved compared to the outgoing model
6. Front seats are comfortable
7. Strong pickup once RPM crosses 1800

-ves
1. Mostly beige seats and plastics, will be easily soiled
2. Rear seat under thigh support, though improved, still has scope for improvement. Shorter people might have lesser of the view outside.
3. Overpriced
4. No rear a/c vents, fixed rear neck restraints, and other missing features already discussed in this thread
5. I felt that the accelerator took time to respond. No, not the turbo lag - which was ok. But the time difference between pressing the pedal and *any* noticeable response was more than normal.

The outgoing top end model (stocks of which they're trying to clear) is a significant 70000 cheaper on road, plus also having a 70000 cash discount - which makes it almost 1.4 lakhs cheaper than the new 4S
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 21:24   #95
BHPian

Default 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review

Took the test drive of the 1.6 CRDI SX(O) at MGF Hyundai Kochi
Dropped in a message yesterday at Hyundai website for a test drive. Got a call from the company today morning, the dealer contacted me by noon. Went for the test drive at the showroom. I did not ask him to come down to my work place. Happy with how Hyundai responded.

About the car. After driving the pregnant Dzire VDI for around 5 years, looks of the Verna was really impressive for me. The front end looks impressive, though the new look feels like the Robocop has removed his helmet exposing his skinny face. The projector headlamps are too much exposed, looks like an oil can kept inside a glass cage. May be I am not used to seeing many projectors. Overall build of the car is great. Boot seemed very spacious. The keys are well built and sturdy. Got inside the car. All premium as expected. Plastics on the ICE and HVAC controls were impressive. Loved the matt leather steering and its height and rake adjustment.
Engine refinement is great. I did not feel that I was driving a diesel.It was smooth,butttery and not that eager to respond. The Fiat MJD in the swift is far better at low revs. Ride was okay, not very pliant or not too stiff. No body roll around corners. Steering had a disconnected feel. That made me a bit nervous even in the 60 to 70 kmph range. Accidentally speeded onto a speed breaker. The body did not brush it, but I heard a thud, likely the tyre hit the well. Lack of discs at the rear was not very evident. The bite from the brakes were good. The '6 airbags surrounding me - feel' was very reassuring. The ride was plusher than any Maruti and there was no knock from the engine in 5th gear at 40kmph. If I buy the Verna it would be for the vibration free light clutch, refinement of the engine and 6 airbags. Nothing else are very impressive. Loved the air conditioner, which was better than in the Marutis, Hondas and Volkswagen/Skoda.

Overall a great car for the non-enthusiast but spending an average of 1-2 lac more than the competition requires membership in the Hyundai fan boy club.. But 6 air bags seems to be a good proposition.

Last edited by sandygordon : 27th February 2015 at 21:28. Reason: grammar
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 23:34   #96
BHPian

Is it just me who thinks that the front face of Verna looks the same as that of Etios?

Last edited by amateurpro : 27th February 2015 at 23:35.
amateurpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2015, 23:47   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Is it just me who thinks that the front face of Verna looks the same as that of Etios?
To me it resembles Toyota Camry (2012 model). I still feel the older Verna was better looking.

IMO, pricing is a minus here for cities in Southern India thanks to tax structure.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 12:44   #98
BHPian

Excellent review!!!
Very Disappointed that the Hyundai have missed an opportunity to withstand the competion with the Current segment leaders Ciaz and City!
Its High time HML realise the rival factors and provide an extended Facelift by Next Year so as to retain its competion in its segment!
Johnnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 18:57   #99
BHPian

Post Re: 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review

Test drove a 1.6 VTVT today. I own a 2014 fluidic with an 1.4 VTVT under the hood. Was at the body shop for some repair work and the SA offered me a test drive. From the rear, I couldn't even judge that was a 4S fluidic. Guess Hyundai did a MSIL in this so called facelift. Enter the car, and nothing much was obvious, the first (and probably only) thing I noted was the change in the ACC's display colors.

Drove it for some 11kms. Coming to the topic that has been beaten to death in all corners of t-bhp : the verna's suspension. The car behaved almost the same (if not slightly better) than my 2014 model, especially when negotiating twistier corners at 3 digit speeds. IMO, the 2014 version itself had sorted the suspension to accepted levels, unlike the ship-like feeling of the 2011 model. Same with the 2015 model, it won't fret you out, and is still confidence inspiring at legal speeds.

Do a TD and see if it can fit your driving style!
ramprakashr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 20:56   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashr View Post
The car behaved almost the same (if not slightly better) than my 2014 model, especially when negotiating twistier corners at 3 digit speeds... it won't fret you out, and is still confidence inspiring at legal speeds.
Thanks. Could you please clarify the real value of 3 digit speeds as well as legal speeds that you talked about.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 21:18   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Thanks. Could you please clarify the real value of 3 digit speeds as well as legal speeds that you talked about.
Legal speeds - 80
Three digit speed - 120.

Trust me, 120 is definitely ok to do with, even in the curves!

The problem is, the soft suspension & the wallowy steering takes time to get used to. If you come from a swift/figo/linea like drivability, it's going to be difficult.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since this's my first owned car and I've only occasionally drived friends cars before. But I did TD all the competitors in the segment before zeroing upon!
ramprakashr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 23:28   #102
BHPian

Thank you S2!!! for the review and the set of pictures!

I drive a 2011 Verna Fluidic 1.6 CRDi SX(O), have driven 64K and would give the lighter clutch on the 2015 Verna a big especially while driving in bumper to bumper traffic.

That this car delivers a consistently good fuel economy (on the highway that is) along with the decent power for those bursts you need at times, makes me conveniently forget the shortcomings of this car. All but one, the severely disappointing suspensions! Highway rides on uneven roads are uncomfortable for the rear seat occupants. My folks have given up sitting in the rear seat since the time we got a Vento, I won't argue with them!

I am relieved to read that a few people have upgraded their suspensions to the ones available in the 2014 upgraded fluidic Verna. Is there any difference in the suspensions of the 2014 upgraded Verna and 2015 4S fluidic Verna? If yes, can I install the suspensions form the 2015 model into my 2011 one? If this works out I would be more than happy to keep this car for thousands of more kilometres, so good is the engine! Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Jay3sh
jay3sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 10:14   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
Is there any difference in the suspensions of the 2014 upgraded Verna and 2015 4S fluidic Verna?
I doubt. It is just that Hyundai couldn't shout at the top of their voices at that time when they have sorted the suspension issue. Reason: that would mean accepting that the earlier car was a weak handler. Hence, the update was a silent affair.

With the 4S Verna, they can proudly claim that they have made the car sportier, even though they have just carried forward most of the updated hardware from the 2014 car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
If yes, can I install the suspensions form the 2015 model into my 2011 one? If this works out I would be more than happy to keep this car for thousands of more kilometres, so good is the engine! Thanks for the help.
Do refer to this post by BHPian Amyth Prabhakar. Apparently, he upgraded the suspension to the 2014 car and claims that it made a significant difference: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3398106 (Hyundai Verna Fluidic SX 1.6L Diesel: The Street Hawk)

Last edited by S2!!! : 10th March 2015 at 10:15.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 11:22   #104
BHPian

Thats a business strategy I guess, they wouldn't accept a weakness.

BHPian Amyth Prabhakar's thread is what helped me learn about the possibility of changing the suspensions altogether. Thanks S2 for the confirmation and pointing out Amyth's thread.

Better suspensions here I come!
jay3sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 17:31   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashr View Post

Drove it for some 11kms. Coming to the topic that has been beaten to death in all corners of t-bhp : the verna's suspension. The car behaved almost the same (if not slightly better) than my 2014 model, especially when negotiating twistier corners at 3 digit speeds. IMO, the 2014 version itself had sorted the suspension to accepted levels, unlike the ship-like feeling of the 2011 model. Same with the 2015 model, it won't fret you out, and is still confidence inspiring at legal speeds.

Do a TD and see if it can fit your driving style!
+1 to this.

Me too own a 2014 Verna, Though have not driven 2015 Verna, I have driven a pre 2014 one, and can feel real difference in suspension in the 2014 version itself. No thud, no bouncy feeling, car remains planted on uneven surfaces. Only problem is steering, its very light.
karts is offline   Reply With Quote