Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 11th April 2015, 15:48   #121
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review

Honey_starhoney and PearlJam - Any offers from Hyundai on the new Verna ? I dont think the Verna has exactly set the charts on fire like Hyundai would have expected. Infact the Verna has made less noise than both i20s Elite and Active.
autotranny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2015, 20:09   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Honey_starhoney and PearlJam - Any offers from Hyundai on the new Verna ? I dont think the Verna has exactly set the charts on fire like Hyundai would have expected. Infact the Verna has made less noise than both i20s Elite and Active.
@pearljam - There was no offer available. I had a 2003 model accent crdi which I wanted to trade along while buying 4s fluidic but the sales guy unofficially told me to sell it in open market as I can fetch a better price there. And yes the new 4s verna is not ringing any sales charts like elite and active. In fact the sales guy told me that they are accepting new bookings for verna only on the condition of delivery in two months as the company wants to concentrate on elite and active.
honey_starhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 11:42   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_starhoney View Post
Hello Bhpians I think I am the only one so far in this thread who has bought verna 4s fluidic. Was in dire need of a car though knowing hyundai is testing next generation verna due for launch in 2016 may be. But I could not wait another year and half for the car so went ahead with the 4s fluidic verna. Any other fellow member who has purchased 4s fluidic verna can update.. Regards

Greetings! I faced the same as you and picked up the verna 4s and I must say I love it!

Planning a full user review of the Verna 4s. I really like the mature front styling of the 4S and fallen in love with rear breake lights! In the night its got an mezmarizing look to it! and also took in a lot of feedback from Team BHP. Never really was an active member here cos I dint buy a new car for 7 years:P The swift diesel served my purpose and well it was time to bid goodbye to her!

I tested it out on highways too, fellow BHPians from Bangalore would know NICE road. The high speed stability has improved. At high speeds I got a little nervous. I am not much of a speed freak. The breaking is excellent. The free steering wheel always requires constant feedback from the driver in the city and will take sometime to get used to. The steering weighs out pretty good on high speeds. The mileage is excellent considering the size of the engine.

Just a pinch of salt, I upgraded from a 2008 swift diesel and hence this is a like a god like upgrade for me!

Cheeers and thanks Team BHP! this community is awesome!

Last edited by bblost : 14th April 2015 at 15:46. Reason: Edited reference to high speeds. Removed an extra smiley.
Infurion is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 20:50   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infurion View Post
Greetings! I faced the same as you and picked up the verna 4s and I must say I love it!
======
Cheeers and thanks Team BHP! this community is awesome!
Thanks Infurion and welcome to the family. Yes it's a big upgrade from swift and I personally feel the drive of verna has matured a bit but it's not very assuring, as I don't feel very confident at speeds ranging from 130 and above but I rarely drive at that speed. So in general at around 120 km/hr it's quite smooth and silent when it's revving in 6th gear. And the smooth engine is what I like the most in this car.
honey_starhoney is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 14:09   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_starhoney View Post
Thanks Infurion and welcome to the family. And the smooth engine is what I like the most in this car.
Dear Verna owners. Does the re-designed fog lamps on the 4S come with white light or normal. The brochure suggests white lighting, but not sure.

Last edited by autotranny : 18th April 2015 at 14:13.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 18:52   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Verna owners. Does the re-designed fog lamps on the 4S come with white light or normal. The brochure suggests white lighting, but not sure.
Hello autoranny the new fog lamps come with normal light or should I say atleast mine which is s(o) is equipped with normal light..
Old 20th April 2015, 14:58   #127
BHPian

One thing which I want to share is the quality of material used for bumpers. I personally feel that the bumpers of this 4s model is not very solid or I say they feel soft. It may be because they have something to do in accidental impacts that they must absorb some energy, so that's why they are made of such light material or it may be the case that hyundai has gone down on quality for their bumpers. As my earlier accent had robust bumpers which suffered a lot of abusing but they remained intact in their 11 years of service. It's totally my personal view but would welcome inputs from fellow members. Regards
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:23   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
These tweaks are in the form of wider coil springs, stiffer dampers (with a low velocity control valve) as well as a 'bump stopper' to counter the thud noise.
I own a 2014 verna fluidic and this thud noise has plagued me since the first day. Repeated visits to the service center and fruitless attempts to explain the problem has turned out nothing. They even deny that there is any problem like this.
Now that you mention this, I believe the issue is real and not just my over sensitive ears.
Question here is, what can i do about this ? Can I replace the current bump stoppers with the new ones. I doubt Hyundai has gone to the extent of replacing the whole shock absorbers to fix the thud noise but then i may be incorrect.

Is there no one else here with verna's from the same batch and facing the same problem ?

Thanks for the wonderful review S2. Enjoyed reading every part of it and the pics were great.
Still love my car.
Myth_sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:27   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Question here is, what can i do about this ? Can I replace the current bump stoppers with the new ones. I doubt Hyundai has gone to the extent of replacing the whole shock absorbers to fix the thud noise but then i may be incorrect.
If I remember correctly, the 2014 Verna didn't come with the bump stopper (to counter the thud noise); it has been introduced in the 4S version. Yes, most of the suspension bits are carried forward from the 2014 car and I think that the Hyundai service center should be able to retro-fit the bump stopper in your car. Do inquire and update whenever you can.

Last edited by S2!!! : 22nd April 2015 at 10:28.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:00   #130
BHPian

Quote:
DDoes the re-designed fog lamps on the 4S come with white light or normal. The brochure suggests white lighting, but not sure.
I own the SX model and it comes with normal yellow lights. It's bright enough and doesn't need an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
If I remember correctly, the 2014 Verna didn't come with the bump stopper (to counter the thud noise); it has been introduced in the 4S version
I haven't faced this noise till now in my 4S version for the last one month.
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 00:14   #131
BHPian

So finally I'm getting my 4S delivered in the first week of May. The car is already at the dealer's yard; delay is since I'm out of town. Its a sleek silver S(O) VTVT AT.

The S(o) comes with most things sans the leather package (seats, steering and gear knob) and the additional 4 airbags. But then I was not left with much choice, since the Petrol automatic was available only in one trim.

The S(O) version also comes with 195/55/R 16 tyres with diamond cut alloys. Anyone went for upgrade ? Did you get MRF or Bridgestone tyres? There is a tempting uprade in Yoko S drive - 205/50/R 16. Definitely adds road presence and the sporty look. I havent negotiated with any tyre dealer so far. if I can get it exchanged in under Rs 10,000/-, I think its worth a look.

Last edited by autotranny : 29th April 2015 at 00:15.
autotranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 00:26   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So finally I'm getting my 4S delivered in the first week of May. The car is already at the dealer's yard; delay is since I'm out of town. Its a sleek silver S(O) VTVT AT.
Congratulations for the 4S.

Have a long safe and mile clicking ownership with the Fluidic.

Party time!!
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2015, 07:20   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on purchase of 4S.

Curious to know what made you go for Verna Petrol Automatic and rule out Honda CVT and Vento TSI DSG. I am also going to be in market for petrol automatic and your inputs would be useful.
Simhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 09:47   #134
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Planning to get a sedan and hence visited the following showrooms in Bangalore yesterday: Maruti, Honda, Hyundai and VW. All are pretty close to each other (Near KR Puram Bridge).

So my requirement is a Petrol car. Predominantly to be used for my office commute and occasionally to be driven by my wife. Before going to the showrooms I read a lot about the C segment as I want a sedan and definitely not a sub 4 meter sedan. What I understood was the fact that City had pretty much won all the comparisons. And I too liked the City, except for the glossy black center console.

Maruti Ciaz: The car is loaded. It comes with all the bells and whistles. We liked the roominess of the cabin and the dashboard's neat layout. Looks premium. ZXi+ comes with a touchscreen navigation and it was much appreciated by both of us. But I am skeptical of the 1.4 ltr engine which may not please the enthusiast in me. However, the petrol Ciaz was not available for test drive and the sales guy assured he'll get to my office the coming week. Asked about discounts and he mentioned that if booked within June, they shall replace the factory fitted speakers with Hertz speakers. Not sure about this, anyone knows how good Hertz is? Took the pricing and EMI calculations from him and we bid farewell to the dealership.

Honda City: My budget restricted me to the V-MT of the City. However, the car on display was the Vx(O) variant with a touchscreen and sunroof. My wife liked it. She urged me to buy the sunroof variant. I could hear my bank balance chuckle in the background. Moving on, we got the test drive and the steering felt light. I did not appreciate the gear shift. Maybe it was just the test car but the smoothness was lacking. The I-Vtec did not disappoint on the driving front and it pulled like an electric train, effortless and silent. Found the boot covered removed to look really ugly. Though, how many times are we actually going to open the boot and stare at its uncovered shame. The sales guy informed that the delivery shall take upto 2 months. And, there isn't a single rupee discount on the city. Not surprising as he had 6 cars ready for delivery that very evening. Took the EMI options for both the V-MT and Vx(O) variants and moved on.

Hyundai Verna: Ever since the launch of the car in 2011, I have been a big fan. I always wanted it to be my 1st car. However, by the time I could manage the funds, Honda launched the new City, Maruti brought in the Ciaz and I heard news that the all new Verna will come in 2016. This somehow convinced me that Verna was no longer 'the' option in the C Segment. But, once we sat in the display car, I felt totally at home. My left foot found the much needed dead pedal, which it had missed for so long. And the interiors though old, still looked up market. The dashboard has the built quality which I think even Honda cannot match. Got a test drive and again, it felt nice. The car came across as more compact to maneuver in the city traffic and gave me the confidence which I was lacking in the Honda, the feeling that kept on saying in my head- watch out the car is long !! Took it till 100kph on a bumpy flyover and it didn't bounce. I was mighty pleased but then I turned to my wife and she said- No. Upon questioning she mentioned that the steering is too heavy and the City has much lighter steering. I tried to explain to her how little heavy steering will be a boon to highways but no success. However, the Verna S(O) did tick all the boxes in the equipment department. Except the Touchscreen and Sunroof. The Sales guy informed that if booked in June, I would get 21000 discount from Hyundai and 15000 additional discount from the dealership. This was impressive. We thanked him and moved ahead.

VW Vento: The new Vento 2015 is due to be launched on 23rd June 2015. The sales guy took us upstairs where the new Vento was parked. The 1st thing which strikes about the Vento is built quality. It seems very well screwed together. We sat inside, saw the boot and were impressed by the ergonomics. Driver's armrest is rather unique in its design. We were taken for a test drive in the Vento 2014. During the course of the drive the sales guy kept explaining the similarities and differences. The car is a pure pleasure to drive. Its almost sound proof inside. The engine pulls strongly and the sound note from it above 4000rpm is addictive. The brakes felt sharp and steering perfect. My wife liked the Vento. She rated it as the best. We came back to the showroom and then the downside started. The feature list is rather tiny. The dealer insisted that he would add things like reverse camera with touchscreen center unit etc. But then the price would go up. Further, VW haven't announced the pricing yet and would be doing so on 23rd June.

Did a small comparison of the features which I thought would be useful to me as an individual and the Verna seems like a logical choice. However, the news that a new Verna will come in 2016 keeps haunting me.

Guys, please pour in your suggestions and help me decide.
Attached Images

drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:05   #135
BHPian

If you were looking for a diesel, my vote would have been undoubtedly the 1.6 Verna CRDI, more so since I own one myself

However, since you're looking for a petrol, the choices do seem difficult. You've summed up your thoughts an findings pretty well, which basically leaves us with a lot of subjective elements. However, these are my opinions:
  • If budget can be stretched, then the Honda City wins hands down in the overall package, especially the engine.
  • If you read various reviews of the Ciaz petrol, it doesn't match up with the City. However, the 1.4L by itself is not bad at all. Note that it's priced much much lower, fully loaded, and comes along Maruti's famed sales/service network. I'm guessing that you can overlook the "Hertz" speakers (Disclaimer: I have no knowledge about these speakers), since it's very unlikely that Maruti or the dealer will give anything free that is of significant value compared to the total value of the car.
  • Verna might be the Jack of all trades here, and the master of none! It's not really known for it's petrol variant, though the 1.6 petrol is smooth and refined. Some equipment is missing too, as you mentioned. Suspension is no longer an issue, though steering should be comparable to the Honda City.
  • Vento is an excellent choice if interior quality, ride and handling are what you're after. But I would rate Vento's 1.6 petrol engine lower to the Verna's. The Vento's rear seat middle floor hump is horribly annoying too.
I guess this might make your decision even more confusing. But at the end, it's all subjective!
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote