Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 1st March 2015, 10:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
The positives of the car have been put away as good and negatives as "Why can't Tata improve".

I mean, what were we expecting in terms of pricing. Bolt to be priced @ 3.99 lacs for a petrol and diesel <5 lacs.

Why don't we question Maruti & Hyundai for having a 1 lac+ difference in the Swift & Dzire or i10 & Xcent. When Tata can have such a miniscule difference, why can't others.
I agree with the first para but please note that Tata motors is out here trying to take on the biggies with its new models and hence should stand up to greater scrutiny.

Pricing wise, forget the Zest comparison, even comparing with Grand i10 or the Swift, I feel the Bolt is priced 40-50k higher. There's already a 45k exchange bonus with a month of launch and I expect this to become a proper discount in the coming months.

I agree to the last para above regarding the price difference part.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2015 at 11:45. Reason: Strictly no SMS language / short-forms on this forum please
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 12:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
A person who wants a feature-loaded city-commuter can look at the Grand i10 (which is cheaper), wants performance can get the Polo, an all rounder - Swift and a truly premium hatchback - Elite i20. Where does the Bolt stand??
Bolt diesel XMS with ABS, 2 Airbags, that bestest HK music system, height adjustable driver's seat etc is at 6.35L ex-showroom. Zest is an extremely VFM product, so the 35k odd difference with same Zest variant is glaring, and in those terms, Zest being a better proposition, should take Bolt's market share and we can expect good discounts on Bolt sooner than later. But an i10 gives you ABS and 2 airbags only with the top Asta Option, which is ridiculous. If I need a diesel hatchback with these safety features, which being a teambhpian surely is something I suggest all to go with, the i10 looks weaker in the sense that at least Sportz should have these safety features. Anyday the Multijet is a better equation than that Hyundai's puny 1.1L 3 pot diesel. Swift gets safety features and adequate brakes in the Z trim, Polo even Comfortline offers safety features but lacks some basic features, Figo is outdated long back and no more is in competition, Punto offers safety features only in Emotion variant. All these cars are 7L plus is what I meant to say. If you want to compare fairly, please give safety features highest priority which the XMS Bolt offers and see how it is the best/cheapest option.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2015 at 11:48. Reason: Typos
itsashishsharma is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 1st March 2015, 15:53   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Bolt 1.3L Diesel : Official Review

It looks like the biggest (and only notable) negative of the bolt is that there is another Tata car that is even better value for money.

Shows what a good job Tata has done and the progress it has made with the new models.
chncar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 16:31   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I believe that the Bolt is a seriously good effort by Tata, coming on the back of the Zest, it has given me renewed hope that things are going in the right direction and Tatas are on the correct path for a turn around. The only negative I could gather from this review is that performance may not be all that stellar, considering the low state of tune on the diesel and the kerb weight. And its good that the top end Bolt and Zest are priced really close, if there is any cross product movement it rather be within the family than outside the brand. Not every one needs a big dicky and there are several who buy a hatchback for daily city use, especially who have multiple cars for other uses.
If I need a new hatchback I would seriously consider the bolt when compared to the likes from other brands, on the equipment, build quality, entertainment system and the ride quality alone.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 18:18   #20
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. G-i10, T-Fort) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
even comparing with Grand i10 or the Swift, I feel the Bolt is priced 40-50k higher. There's already a 45k exchange bonus with a month of launch
How is it higher? Grand i10 has a smaller 3 pot engine, low on space. You cannot pit it against the Bolt. Grand i10 is priced on the upper limit.

Compare model to model of the Swift. Where is the Bolt costlier.

Yes, there is a 45 exchange bonus, but what's the co-relation of it being costlier?

More than anything, pickup the service history for a 50k run Vista Refresh and the new Swift. See the price difference in terms of service costs. You will realize what it takes to maintain the new Swift and the Vista Refresh. Bolt has an AMC of Rs: 9000 for 2 services in a year(post the free). What's the same for the Swift/Punto/Polo/Grand i10. Find out and post the numbers.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2015 at 11:51.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 18:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
So like GTO commented, I'm not sure as to why this car should sell. I really wanted to fall in love with the Tata Bolt but unfortunately it lacks a USP and is just another hatchback in the market. A person who wants a feature-loaded city-commuter can look at the Grand i10 (which is cheaper), wants performance can get the Polo, an all rounder - Swift and a truly premium hatchback - Elite i20. Where does the Bolt stand??
I'm shocked that you have mentioned swift as an all-rounder. It is the most cramped of the all available premium hatchbacks and has got the tiniest boot along with bolt in the segment. Ergonomic issues, lack of safety, lack of features when compared to others are some of the other issues (no offense to the owners please) These shortcomings aren't befitting of the tag 'All rounder'.

Now coming to Bolt, it may not have the premiumness of i20 and i10 or the nimbleness of swift or the explosive power of Polo. What it trumps over the other hatchbacks is the sheer amount of interior space that it provides along with a brilliant ride comfort and refinement.This is a very rare car that can seat 3 abreast in the back. The engines have acceptable performance and good driveability. The interiors are upmarket and the features list are endless.The car may not hug the corners like Figo but it isn't very poor in that department either.It even comes with proper safety features in the middle variant, which the aforementioned hatchback don't provide (in the middle variant barring polo). This cars makes a very good case for the large Indian families who wants a proper hatchback rather than a pseudo sedan the boot space notwithstanding. Lets not write off this car, even without providing it with a proper chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The oil burner is indeed tuned more for economy than driving ease and for a car with that kerb weight it is underpowered.
I think that you are referring to the lack of outright performance from the Bolt. As far as the ease of driving goes, the bolt has good low end grunt to amble around the town as mentioned in the review. Even the steering is nice and light within the city and with a good visibility all around the bolt is very competent as far as the city driving is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Bolt diesel XMS with ABS, 2 Airbags, that bestest HK music system, height adjustable driver's seat etc is at 6.35L ex-showroom. Zest is an extremely VFM product, so the 35k odd difference with same Zest variant is glaring, and in those terms, Zest being a better proposition, should take Bolt's market share and we can expect good diacounts on Bolt sooner than later. But an i10 gives you ABS and 2 airbags only with the top Asta Option, which is rediculous. If I need a diesel hathback with these safety features, which being a teambhpian surely is something I suggest all to go with, the i10 looks weaker in the sense that at least Sportz should have these safety features. Anyday the Multijet is a better equation than that Hyundai's punny 1.1L 3 pot diesel. Swift gets safety features and adequate brakes in the Z trim, Polo even Comfortline offers safety features but lacks some basic features, Figo is outdated long back and no more is in competition, Punto offers safety features only in Emotion variant. All these cars are 7L plus is what I eant to say. If you want to compare fairly, please give safety features highest priority which the XMS Bolt offers and see how it is the best/cheapest option.
+1 to that.

Last edited by Car Architect : 1st March 2015 at 18:36.
Car Architect is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 20:13   #22
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT use acronyms (e.g. G-i10, T-Fort) when referring to cars. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name for cars.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
comparing with Grand i10 or the Swift, I feel the Bolt is priced 40-50k higher.
How exactly? Bolt>Swift>Grand i10 IMO.
1. Bolt's interiors are better than Swift, 2. the ride quality is just best, I request you to sit in Bolt's rear bench and ask the driver to go fast over a speed bump. You will be pleasantly surprised by the ride comfort and maturity of this suspension setup.
3. Engine is as good as the Swift, of course better than the Hyundai.
4. Best Steering
5. Best on space
6. Best on build quality/strength/paint quality.
7. Best in maintainance costs, AMC, easy warranty claims
8. The XMS variant gives you safety features for just 6.35L ex showroom. Swift and Grand i10 both cost 1 lakh more for ABS and Airbags.
9. Gear shifts are smooth, though not as swift as the other two.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2015 at 11:53. Reason: See note in post
itsashishsharma is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 22:55   #23
BHPian

Thanks

With the Zest, even Tata was surprised at the demand for 'XT' version. Tata's usually don't bring home numbers with top-end variants.

It was foolish of them to have not anticipated the demand for AMT.

But with the Bolt it's a different story altogether.

I think the XMS variant is a brilliant move. Safety - is of utmost importance.
Agreed Tata cars are genetically heavy and made of robust metal (courtesy TISCO?) as compared to tinny Maruti. But one can't thank them enough for providing ABS & Airbags at a good price point when no one else is.

Recently, I was 'window shopping' for a hatch (5-6L), for my wife. I considered ONLY variants with airbags. I was shocked to see that only the top-end variants of ALL brands & models had airbags & ABS. It was disappointing to say the least. Narrowed down to Grand i10 & Bolt. Going to wait for the Kite.

Definitely there are some glaring omissions. & I too tend to agree the pricing is on the wrong side.
Just another 20-25k lesser would have been perfect.
Or atleast a 'launch discount'.

From what I understand then intend to fill the empty slot between Nano & Bolt with the 'Kite'
Vista is discontinued? eV2 in it's diesel only or CNG avatar is best reserved for the commercial market.
The Kite would slot right in.
But wouldn't it have made sense to launch the Bolt cheaper and then gradually increase the price over the months (say 7-8k every 3 months) till the Kite is ready for launch.
That way there would be many early adopters and would bring out numbers on the road! Which would in turn help boost brand image a little bit, wouldn't it?

I am sure AMT, reverse sensors et all are reserved for special editions and minor facelifts over the life of the Bolt. How else would the launch 'upgrades' new and improved.

Few things they have got right from the Zest & Bolt siblings:
- EPS steering
- good, competent HUD (in terms of features_) & the HK music system
- different driving modes
- gear box
- fit & finish. Even paint quality. plastic quality
- NOT lost out on their old and best USP - space & comfort
- finally taken the bold step to breakfree from their old styling, nomenclature & variant badging.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd March 2015 at 11:54. Reason: Strictly no acronyms when referring to cars please
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 01:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
[/i]

Vista is discontinued?

Few things they have got right from the Zest & Bolt siblings:
- EPS steering
The Vista is still very much there. TDI for the taxi market. There are people still buying the Vista Tech which is around 50k cheaper than the Bolt (ABS model).

I have the Vista Refresh with the Hydraulic Steering and recently test drove the Bolt and the Zest. Believe me, the steering felt too light for city driving. The heavy steering on my Vista gives immense confidence. Although parking with EPS is lot easier.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 03:47   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
The Vista is still very much there. TDI for the taxi market. There are people still buying the Vista Tech which is around 50k cheaper than the Bolt (ABS model).
Thank you for that !

Believe it or not, my wife still likes the smooth shape of our old Indica V2, therefore to some extent also the Vista.
& since I already have a Manza it would feel, behave similar.

Will definitely check it out.
Dr.Suraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 09:42   #26
BHPian

I test drove the car for good 20 km approx. and come out of it with a smile on my face, I have had the experience of driving Indica for close to 10 years and at present I am driving Punto.

This car is certainly better than all the previous avatars of Indica and its siblings. I found the suspension of bolt better then zest, as crossing potholes and undulations at speed are better managed in this car compared to zest; though at slow speeds zest is better in handling bad roads.

To me, the suspension setup in bolt is at par with Punto, though throwing the car on curves and roundabouts was not a pleasure, it was certainly several notches better than Indicas and Vistas of this world.

I used the AC on idling and never observed that sudden jerk as suggested in the review, it was smooth, through some noticeable steering vibrations were there when the compressor kicked in.

The pricing needs a correction, which is one of the missing aspects and Tatas should do it at the earliest or make the trim levels richer to compensate additional value expected by the customers from their cars.

All in all, I am impressed.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 2nd March 2015 at 09:43.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:47   #27
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So, what's different on the outside?

Let me start this review off by saying that Tata has completely botched up the Bolt's pricing, vis a vis the Zest . The price difference between the top-end diesel variants of the Bolt & Zest is merely Rs. 31,000 (nothing in EMI terms). For just 31k, the Zest gives you 14 BHP more, 10 Nm additional torque, 86% more boot space, 10 mm fatter tyres, softer ride quality, dual-tone interiors, parking sensors, LED DRLs and the option of an AMT. It's a no-brainer, there is simply no reason to pick the Bolt XT over the Zest XT!!
GTO,
Not OT but maybe they want people to move to the Zest!
Reminds me of a very interesting marketing gimmick that will probably make sense here: Link

Quoting:
Quote:
"most people donít know what they want unless they see it in context"
"humans rarely choose things in absolute terms. We donít have an internal value meter that tells us how much things are worth. Rather, we focus on the relative advantage of one thing over another, and estimate value accordingly"
So maybe they don't want people buying the XT Bolt but move to the Zest XT!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 12:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Architect View Post
These shortcomings aren't befitting of the tag 'All rounder'.
Let's keep the Swift debate for another day.

Quote:
Now coming to Bolt, it may not have the premiumness of i20 and i10 or the nimbleness of swift or the explosive power of Polo. The engines have acceptable performance and good driveability. The car may not hug the corners like Figo but it isn't very poor in that department either. It even comes with proper safety features in the middle variant, which the aforementioned hatchback don't provide (in the middle variant barring polo). This cars makes a very good case for the large Indian families who wants a proper hatchback rather than a pseudo sedan the boot space notwithstanding.
I have divided your own post in two halves. Just go through the quoted text above. In each and every point stated by you, it clearly shows Bolt as more of a 'me too' product than having an absolute advantage over any other competitors. These all are your words, not mine.

I do appreciate Tata's efforts to prove its point in the market but in reality, the Bolt diesel didn't impress. Period.

Quote:
What it trumps over the other hatchbacks is the sheer amount of interior space that it provides along with a brilliant ride comfort and refinement. This is a very rare car that can seat 3 abreast in the back....The interiors are upmarket and the features list are endless.
The Vista did the same, so does the Liva. But both are mediocre performers when it comes to sales. My point here is that it needed a distinct USP to stand out of the crowd. Take the Elite i20 for example which is a spacious hatchback with a good engine, premium interiors, long list of equipment and arguably better exteriors too.

Also, if features and value for money alone could sell a car, our streets would have been flooded with Tata Nanos with Bluetooth, power steering + windows, etc. Hope you get my point

Last edited by S2!!! : 2nd March 2015 at 13:00.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Call me whatever, but I see more of a face-lifted Vista when I see the Bolt. If Tata has come a long way from the Vista, they should have changed any exterior resemblance too. All my enthusiasm of seeing a 'new' car went down the drains when they launched this. Add to it the ASC records, the image in the mind is just not broken to have a second thought about the Bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A design flaw. Picture taken with the afternoon sun right above. Look inside the ORVM and you'll notice the very prominent reflection of the chrome air-vent unit. This was a lot more irritating than in other cars. What makes matters worse is that you'll see it on both ORVMs:

I am wondering if the reflection could be from the glass window rather than from the ORVM itself? Either way, I agree it is distracting for the driver and no way we can drive with windows down in the scorching sun.
thoma is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I am wondering if the reflection could be from the glass window rather than from the ORVM itself? Either way, I agree it is distracting for the driver and no way we can drive with windows down in the scorching sun.
Spot on. It can't be the ORVM, its physics, it got to be the window glass. I have noticed bigger such impressions in my Swift's side window glass. Also, more than this, in many cars, such distracting reflections of ICE HU appear on the front windscreen. They are awfully annoying esp while driving in nights.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote