Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 17th May 2017, 20:00   #406
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Renault Lodgy : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Never had any problem driving in hills and Himalayas are mighty! The only trick is to know when to be in which gear, rest all is good.
That's incredible. I agree, a driver who makes the right choice of the gears would seldom face any issue while driving in the ghats. However in tricky situations like coming to a dead stop on a steep upward slope, when the car is fully loaded would pose a problem. Because the moment you release the clutch the car may roll back. If you release the clutch abruptly, the car may stall. If you race the engine with half clutch, you may ruin your clutch. Did you come across such a situation during your trip? If yes how did the Lodgy perform?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 20:33   #407
BHPian

Well..you would employ the handbrake slot in the right gear, release the clutch and release the handbrake. Have been in similar situations in my Ertiga - no sweat.
krish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 11:07   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If yes how did the Lodgy perform?
Maybe once there was a slight slip but not severe, however, it was on a steep incline. It has a decent amount of torque to pull you through tricky situations. Although would have loved to have even a basic all-wheel drive like XUV.

And as always, handbrake is always there to the rescue
ambujlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 17:45   #409
BHPian

I couldn't have expected a better reply than this, thanks a lot!

Being half as costly as Innova, the addition of VFM factor would simply bring the Lodgy as the best people mover for sure. Now, even Ertiga costs that much, so what factors are deterring the success of Lodgy?? In my opinion the following can do some wonder and can be game changer for Renault in Lodgy and improve overall ranking in sales terms:

1. Bring some WoW factors to the after sales experience in addition to adding confidence building measures for the same.
2. Market the product by using word-of-the-mouth in print and TV media to improve trust factor amongst prospective buyers, targeting the right segment.
3. Project it as a complete family car by highlighting (and if required, by introducing some new exciting) features for every member: the person who drives, the better half, the grand parents, and the kids!

Best wishes to Lodgy!
kbishwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 18:12   #410
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hello all BHPians!!

I totally forgot to put a query here:

In recent time - say around 6-8 months I am observing an issue specifically while slotting from 1st to 2nd gear. Gear lever simply refuses to get in to 2nd gear like someone is applying reverse pressure.

In such case i have to release clutch, again press it & slot in 2nd. It too happens with some effort. & after some time at next round gear will slot as if you are cutting butter with knife.

I tried to replicate scenario several times - 1) By changing gear around 1000-1200 RPM (Usually shifts at around 2000), 2) Changing at higher RPM (2500-3500).

But this issue occurs very randomly. So couldn't replicate it in front of SA, when visited last time.

Did any Lodgian faced such issue? If yes what precaution i have to take in such case.

Please let me know. Thanks.
tushar_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 11:28   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_b View Post
Hello all BHPians!!

In recent time - say around 6-8 months I am observing an issue specifically while slotting from 1st to 2nd gear. Gear lever simply refuses to get in to 2nd gear like someone is applying reverse pressure.

In such case i have to release clutch, again press it & slot in 2nd. It too happens with some effort. & after some time at next round gear will slot as if you are cutting butter with knife.

Sounds like an issue with the gear synchronizer rings. Here's what service centers normally do in such cases:
1. Bleed the transmission and clutch fluids and give the car back to you for further testing
2. If the above does't solve the issue, problem could be with the gear synchronizer's which may need replacement.
3. If 1 and 2 doesn't help, gearbox needs further inspection

Synchronizer rings costs around Rs 2500 for one; add another 2500 for gear box disassembly and assembly. No issues if you can't replicate the issue, make it clear that the gears are getting stuck at times.
xjosephjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 12:27   #412
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Sounds like an issue with the gear synchronizer rings.
No issues if you can't replicate the issue, make it clear that the gears are getting stuck at times.
I had discussion with SAs at 2 different dealerships - Both times couldn't replicate it - they said for this gearbox its having Synchro mesh - so gears will not engaged until synced. So some times it may happen. Every time it happened, clutch was surely pressed fully.

BTW will these part be covered under warranty or not if needs to be changed ?
tushar_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2017, 16:37   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_b View Post
I had discussion with SAs at 2 different dealerships - Both times couldn't replicate it - they said for this gearbox its having Synchro mesh - so gears will not engaged until synced. So some times it may happen. Every time it happened, clutch was surely pressed fully.

BTW will these part be covered under warranty or not if needs to be changed ?
They may have reasons however things have to work the way it is supposed to: trouble-free. My friend got his Duster's synchronizer changed at Renault Kochi, Kerala. We also couldn't replicate the problem, and this problem showed up like only 5-6 times in 10,000 km. Bleeding procedure was done as a first step, and later when the issue persisted they changed one synchronizer.

Yes it gets covered under regular and extended warranty. Let's hope things get solved without opening up the gearbox.
xjosephjacob is offline   Reply With Quote