Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 24th July 2015, 14:14   #421
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

IMO anyone that can get a new top of the the line Twist for anything less than 2.5 lakhs on road should snap up the deal before it vanishes. I am perfectly content with my 2013 car and as I planned when I bought it, expect to keep it for ten years.

This time around I fear that Tata has got the product completely right, at the wrong price. And again, the numbers won't be forthcoming. I will be happy to wrong, I am a fan of the little car.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 18:41   #422
BHPian

Barebones Nano ? OK - 2L take it.
Need air conditioning ? OK - Pay (2 + a) lakhs
Need a openable hatch ? Ok - 2a + b
Need AMT ? Sure - 2ab + c.
Need a HK set ? Here you go - 2abc + d
and so on..

I know it is wishful thinking but if the manufacturing process can do this kind of customization and roll out vehicles , then noone will have a reason to complain. But I believe it makes no business sense in the manufacturing sector.

This technique is being adopted in software albeit slowly according to this wiki.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_customization

haa..maybe one day we will have 3D printed Nanos running all over
mail2sekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 19:53   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
Barebones Nano ? OK - 2L take it.
Need air conditioning ? OK - Pay (2 + a) lakhs
Need a openable hatch ? Ok - 2a + b
Need AMT ? Sure - 2ab + c.
Need a HK set ? Here you go - 2abc + d
and so on..

I know it is wishful thinking but if the manufacturing process can do this kind of customization and roll out vehicles , then noone will have a reason to complain. But I believe it makes no business sense in the manufacturing sector.
Isn't that how it's priced right now? Nano XE is at 1.99L and XTA is at 2.89L; with three other variants in between.

Last edited by safari_lover : 24th July 2015 at 19:57.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 10:35   #424
BHPian

After a wait of 3 months, my wifey get her Red Riding Hood on Friday.
A first time driver, she is still getting used to the car and traffic of Bangalore but we combined to clock 100 kms over the weekend.
Haven't taken my Corolla out and am not missing it at all !!
LonelyPlanet is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2015, 19:31   #425
BHPian

Had my first quirk of Nano today evening while returning from work and stuck in a traffic jam for about an hour hardly moving. I moved from 'A' to 'N' since the wait was expected to be long. When my turn came the 'A' wont engage, neither would 'R' even the 'M' would not change the gear to 1.
I panicked a bit but then switched off the engine and cranked it again. Voila I was back in business. Reboot is what works for any computer, when everything else fails
LonelyPlanet is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 08:37   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Had my first quirk of Nano today evening while returning from work and stuck in a traffic jam for about an hour hardly moving. I moved from 'A' to 'N' since the wait was expected to be long. When my turn came the 'A' wont engage, neither would 'R' even the 'M' would not change the gear to 1.
That sounds maddening. Never happened to me ever this way though. But I have noticed that even though usually the gear engages immediately, at times for 'R' gear it takes a bit longer like about 3 or 4 seconds to engage. If 'A' wont work there is no sense in even trying out 'M' because the 'M' mode is just an extension of the 'A' mode. If you might have noticed (tried out) even the 'M' mode will shift automatically at both ends of the revv range. Yeah it upshifts too at the redline. It takes some pain to get to the redline as the engine does not sound at all good here.

@owners and prospective buyers..Update after 2500 kms and 45 days on my GenX XTA:

Pros:
1. Superb suspension. Very silent and absorbent. Body roll and understeer is really very well controlled probably due to the lighter front end. I have taken wide U turns at speeds I wouldn't even dare to think of in my i20 due to fear of understeer. And the car has more to give. I'm pleasantly surprised. Sharp U turns may not be recommended on the nano due to the tall body.

2. No rattles from anywhere which was to be expected from a TATA Car specially a nano.

3. AC chills to the bone. I keep the driver side vent closed and the centre vents pointed away from me else my teeth start chattering!

4. Engine refinement is praiseworthy except at the redline where most of us will not even think of going with this car. At the redline it sounds as if the engine is about to fly off its mountings.

5. Steering is well weighted in the GenX and does not feel disconnected from the road as in the previous gen twist.

6. AMT is almost flawless under normal driving circumstances. Even new drivers will be at home with the AMT. It is only the brakes that detract from the near perfect driving experience as mentioned below.

Cons:
1. Erratic idle issue randomly. I have mentioned about this elsewhere on this thread. This is harmless but irritating nonetheless.

2. Fuel efficiency of only 14.5 km/l.

3. Engine is hard to control for fine movements on moderate slopes. The clutch bites in an aggressive way making the car jump and then stall. In very steep slopes it just gives up and keeps free revving. Not that the engine does not have enough power, but due to the programming.

4. Feel a slight misfiring if the fuel cap is opened when close to empty. This misfiring does not happen if more than about half tank fuel is present. I happened to notice this once or twice when I got fuel worth of Rs 300 while nearing empty. It does not happen when I fill a tankful.

5. On cold starts if the throttle is applied immediately post cranking, the engine dies. Wait for 2 seconds for the fuel pump to spool up before applying throttle, everything is fine.

6. Brake servo really needs a redesign. This small engine just does not deliver enough vacuum to operate the servo effectively. The problem is exaggerated by the long useless pedal travel and while 'creeping'. Each press will considerably deplete the vacuum. I have managed to overcome this situation to a certain extent by adjusting the brake switch so that the 'creep' will work even without fully taking my foot off the brake pedal. The stored vacuum is usable for more number of stops this way.

7. The OEM music system is pathetic to say the least. Did an upgrade of the rear parcel tray and installed JBL 6x9 speakers but it does not sound good. Calls for either a replacement of the HU or an external amp. I do not know if an external amp is a good idea as I feel the HU has already spoiled the sound from the speaker level outputs and I'm pretty sure this HU has no pre amp outputs. Any user who has done a good upgrade please share your inputs.

For the asking price, the car is definitely good value in its present guise. But for previous gen twist owners it does not make economic sense to upgrade if AMT is not a requirement. Moreover if the older twist XT is still available at massive discounts it should be seriously considered.

Last edited by alphahere : 28th July 2015 at 09:05.
alphahere is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 12:07   #427
BHPian

Quote:
I panicked a bit but then switched off the engine and cranked it again. Voila I was back in business. Reboot is what works for any computer, when everything else fails
I've experienced this during my Test drive of XTA.

I reversed the car first by putting it in 'R' mode, then put it in 'A' to drive ahead, but it didn't do anything. there was loud beep indicating something is wrong.
It only worked after restarting the car.

I'm not sure if it was an user error, and do not remember if I forgot to press the break pedal before switching to 'A' from 'R'.
Jyodi Backster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2015, 16:15   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
2. Fuel efficiency of only 14.5 km/l.
Its too early for me but the AFE reading shows close to 18 for the 150 odd kms driven so far.
LonelyPlanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 15:57   #429
BHPian

I had my first quirk on the XTA that required taking it to the service which led to even more problems. I had been feeling that both the front wheels were rattling as if the lug nuts were not tightened. There was a distinct shake to both the front wheels and I was pretty sure the wheel bearings were shot. It turned out that only the right bearing was shot and it was replaced FOC. The left wheel shake turned out to be a slightly loose hub.

After this comes the real drama. After the bearing was replaced, I saw the car being washed and being taken away from the wash area. After sometime I saw the nose of the car pointing out of the service area and the driver was beckoning someone over. Saw him check out something on the dashboard. Then the driver kept rocking the car back and forth in forward and reverse. After that they took the car back in. Warning bells rang and I walked into the service area to see what they were upto. I noticed with a shock that there was a yellow gear icon with an '!' in the centre lighted up. The AMT malfunction indicator! The guys were switching from gear to gear, moving the car back and forth, switching the engine off and on, revving up and what not! Lost my cool there itself. Told all of them to get out and I took the keys. I tried to see any change in behaviour and found that creep was not working. On slotting to 'A' or 'R' and releasing the brake, it just remains there. Also the console kept beeping as if to emphasize that something is wrong.

The guys standing around had absolutely no clue what was wrong and they kept telling me that it is like that! They were even explaining to me that the car is moving forward on pressing the accelerator so what was my problem? It was only a light which might go after sometime! I blew my top again hearing all this and decided to talk to the service manager who seemed to be an educated guy at least. He came and immediately realized the issue. On asking him to bring the scanning device whatever they use he says that they do not have one here and we need to send the car with someone to the other branch. I immediately told him that I want to ensure that he scans the memory in case the light goes off in sometime and I want to see the error code. So I would also go along with him.(I said this because I thought they would have sprayed water on the AMT unit which somehow got into it and caused the error) He agreed and asked one of the guys to take the car there and I also got in. I heard the guy telling the manager I am not required and he will go and come. The manager just warned him to do as he is told and go and come back. And just as I had feared the malfunction light and the beeping turned off midway.

The guy who was driving said "Sar, ab theek ho gaya..Can we go back?" I asked him to keep driving to wherever he was heading and get the scan done in front of me. He was muttering something under his breath and kept driving. On reaching the other branch, he brought out a laptop and the interface and scanned for errors on the AMT. The results displayed a text as 'AMT - CLUTCH OVERHEAT' and I immediately realized what had happened. Sometime during the washing while taking on the ramp they would have kept pressing the accelerator midway to make the car climb and made the clutch overheat. This would have fired the error and disabled the creep function which again is taxing on the clutch. Told him to clear the error and we went back. Had a good word with the service manager again and told him to train his people on how NOT to use an AMT.

It seems they have not had many services on the AMT nano and their guys really do not know the technical side of it as most of these mechanics are only Class 12 pass and cannot think about things like these. He also informed that they are being sent in batches for receiving training on the AMT and presently they are only at the second batch! A few observations from this whole episode:

1. There is a separate diagnostic software for nano. It works for both AMT and non AMT. For the rest of the Tata cars like zest, bolt, vista, etc there is another software.

2. The AMT seems to be having a separate ECU from the main ECU. Do not know if they are physically separate or just logically separate. I remember seeing in the software there were 2 options: Scan Engine DTC and Scan AMT. This error code of clutch overheat was pulled out from the Scan AMT option.

3. The personnel are not trained and they should have realized their driving style would cause an overheat. Also once the overheat happened they were clueless about what the matter was.

4. It would be wise to keep away from service centres at least until they learn how to use an AMT properly. Same applies to Valets too who think they can drive any car under the sun.

Anyway I was happy to know that they have included some level of protection for the clutch plate which warns the driver when he is not using it correctly and also disables associated functions in something like a 'Safe' mode.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st August 2015 at 16:00. Reason: Spacing
alphahere is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2015, 16:33   #430
Senior - BHPian

This AMT story is probably/hopefully a one off.

But I read people having issues with the power steering of Twist, the usual complaint is that the steering won't self centre.

These experiences leave me convinced that at least where Nano is concerned, simpler is better and the 2013 non boosted steering top end car is the ideal Nano. Less to go wrong, and when it does, easier to fix. It isn't as if power steering is missed as it is, for example, on a Gypsy - tiny front wheels with little weight on them ensure that. AMT - I think a manual is the best way to get the 625 cc perform adequately in reasonably quick moving city traffic.

The next thing Tata will do is add another cylinder which call for stronger brakes. More complexity. A simple car is being asked to carry too much overhead.
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:15   #431
BHPian

Hitting the 2,500 km mark in less than two months. It's been seeing only the city roads of all kinds! Offlate, I get to drive only in the peak-hour rush and I stopped bothering about FE and drive like crazy sometimes and extreme cautious sedate driving has never happened in the past few weeks. So today after around two weeks, I checked the AFE and it was 15.1 kmpl. That was pretty good according to me, with the number of traffic blocks and idling i had to do and with absolutely zero weekend drives. This goes well with the 17 - 18 kmpl I used to get in Trivandrum traffic in my old Nano.

BTW, Just realized two of the issues that I had raised earlier were indeed my own phobias -

1) Grinding Noise - it happens to be the road surfacing at many places where metro work has happened. The road is rough and hence makes such kind of a noise when vehicles go over. I experienced the same in my aunts zen. Plus my Nano was silent over all other roads except the metro stretches.

2) Steering self - center - That's not an issue. You need to lock the steering Left to Right for it to activate. This goes in line with most other cars - our Eon and Wagon-R self center only after full turns of the steering wheel.

So by far the only issue i have is the humming noise from the A/C compressor for which I still haven't found time to visit the ACC. The AC is chilling like crazy though. I'm loving the car. Unlike with my old Nano, right now, the switchover from Driving a Wagon-r to a Nano is almost nil since this just feels like a matured enough car with light controls, decent quality and great response. Only the brakes lack the proper feedback - thanks to the drums set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This AMT story is probably/hopefully a one off.

But I read people having issues with the power steering of Twist, the usual complaint is that the steering won't self centre.
The car is overdue for a proper wash. The openable boot has been a boon and the Bluetooth Headset has also been working really well. I'm yet again a happy customer (sans the days I got paranoid with the Grinding noise )

Cheers!
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:10   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The next thing Tata will do is add another cylinder which call for stronger brakes. More complexity. A simple car is being asked to carry too much overhead.
Thats more likely than ever! Tata has been testing the 800 CC Nano for some time now. Co-incidently, I saw it yesterday very close to Jagtap Dairy Chowk. It looked like it had bigger tyres , though I may be imagining it.

The sliencer is off-set from the center and closer to the Driver side, when viewed from the rear.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:23   #433
Senior - BHPian

It will be like a sportsman on steroids. Short term benefit but long term problems because the underlying skeleton isn't built for that performance level.

Time and sales numbers will tell the story.
Old 5th August 2015, 10:22   #434
BHPian

The fog lamps on my XTA have cracked for no apparent reason at all.

Right Fog Lamp
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20150803_102318.jpg

Left Fog Lamp
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20150803_102302.jpg

Concorde has agreed to replace both under warranty. Had to wait for three days because the part was not readily available and when it came it also had similar cracks. At last good ones have come but I get a feeling they may crack again. Anyone found the same?
alphahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2015, 11:11   #435
BHPian

Quote:
And this happened again today !! Will take it to the ASS and get the diagnostics done.

Also I now resist moving to N - My theory was that there will be less stress on the clutch but better to be safe in a crowded lane then struggle to get your car to move.
LonelyPlanet is online now   Reply With Quote