Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 06:21   #661
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 258
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
One question, I had already 50+ people telling me not to book a nano as they all think its a
Simple way - Ignore. They are not going to own the car.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2015, 21:02   #662
BHPian
 
uday.ere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 397
Thanked: 305 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksrs View Post
Uday, are you sure about this? A recent post on the VIN decoder page also seems to suggest that Tata is still using the old format.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post3848866 (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))
Y2kSRS, I got the dealer to give me the updated nomenclature and it appears it has changed only for Nov and Dec months, the rest are as per what is on our forum. (so K does stand for Oct after all).
uday.ere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 15:33   #663
BHPian
 
ssbshankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
Congrats on the booking! You can have a temporary registration for a month or two and then register it in Jan. So the date will change and will be a different year. Also don't take it for service till after registration .

One question, I had already 50+ people telling me not to book a nano as they all think its a very cheap car both in terms of price and quality(though none of them have driven or sat in one) and some made ridiculous comments such as "its an auto! why would buy that".

How did you feel when people made such comments ? I am sure you would heard a few comments like above.( Not that such comments matter )
Thanks aravind.
Primarily, I m buying this for my wife, who is not safe on a 2 wheeler on these Bangalore roads. This vehicle will be used mainly for a daily commute of around 10-15kms with in Bangalore city limits.
So couple of things were must: No.1: Automatic, No.2 : Budget,. No.3 compact, easy to drive in traffic and easy to fit in small parking places.

Celerio and Alto were other options which are 2L costlier on the valet.
I personally, took a Test Drive. Obviously, after being in 1.5 VW Polo TDI, it looked very sluggish. But, I don't think its really a problem in a bumper to bumper traffic conditions (80% of commute)of Bangalore and I don't want my wife to race on these roads any ways.
AC, internal space all are very good compared to the size of the vehicle and even little bigger vehicles around. Boot is good enough to carry the groceries and kid's bags etc.
Now, for people who think it sounds like Auto, I just don't care. For 3.6L on road, if I get a four wheeler with A.C and Automatic shift, I am cool. After all, we are not buying a BMW or Mercedes to flaunt it around, its a simple, relatively safe commute solution. Life is peaceful, when you stop thinking what others would feel about your decisions. Btw, I really love the way Auto Rikshaw sounds
ssbshankar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 20:56   #664
BHPian
 
X_T_A Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Hello BHPians, my first post on this wonderful forum, and I want to share that after a wait of nearly 3-4 weeks and having considered a few other AMT options in the market, we brought home a Nano AMT earlier this week. Was an enjoyable experience all along, right from booking to PDI to vehicle delivery (all handled by BHPian hubby of course). Will share more as we go along and add miles to the small wonder.
X_T_A Rose is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 21:24   #665
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 300
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post
Hello BHPians, my first post on this wonderful forum, and I want to share that after a wait of nearly 3-4 weeks and having considered a few other AMT options in the market, we brought home a Nano AMT earlier this week. Was an enjoyable experience all along, right from booking to PDI to vehicle delivery (all handled by BHPian hubby of course). Will share more as we go along and add miles to the small wonder.
Congrats to you on your new drive and welcome to TBHP (which you must be very familiar with already ). Pl. do share your views and experiences with your Nano by starting your own ownership thread
null is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2015, 16:12   #666
BHPian
 
KTM_aravind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post
Hello BHPians, my first post on this wonderful forum, and I want to share that after a wait of nearly 3-4 weeks and having considered a few other AMT options in the market, we brought home a Nano AMT earlier this week. Was an enjoyable experience all along.......
Congrats on the booking! looking forward to your ownership experience. My car is coming this Thursday.
KTM_aravind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 11:19   #667
BHPian
 
X_T_A Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 27
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
Congrats on the booking! looking forward to your ownership experience. My car is coming this Thursday.
Thanks KTM_aravind. Congrats and Welcome to the Nano club. Wishing you a joyous ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Congrats to you on your new drive and welcome to TBHP (which you must be very familiar with already ). Pl. do share your views and experiences with your Nano by starting your own ownership thread
Thanks null. Was familiar with TBHP earlier, now a proud member. Ownership thread will be up once I have something substantial to share.


First impressions are very positive. It is a breeze to drive around. The power steering model (Twist) itself was a great step up for the Nano and now in the AMT guise, it has become a complete city car. My typical run is a max of 4-5 kms one way, so very comfortable.

The only downer if I may say is the engine noise. It is something that we need to get used to, especially compared to the other car in the house (Honda City).

For now a few pics of the car
Name:  Nano 1.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  141.7 KB
Name:  Nano 2.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  81.7 KB

All Black Interior is a boon, especially with kids around
Name:  Nano 3.JPG
Views: 1387
Size:  64.2 KB

Odo can be reset once (before it hits 200KM apparently). We reset it after 43KMs (once at home after the customary pooja)
Name:  Nano 4.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  79.3 KB
X_T_A Rose is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 13:09   #668
BHPian
 
KTM_aravind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post
Thanks KTM_aravind. Congrats and Welcome to the Nano club. Wishing you a joyous ownership.............
Nice Pics! Like the color. Any long drives that you could do with the new baby?!
KTM_aravind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 18:59   #669
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 329
Thanked: 589 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post

The only downer if I may say is the engine noise. It is something that we need to get used to, especially compared to the other car in the house (Honda City).
I too own Nano AMT bought in July 2015. The engine noise is definitely high when new but in my experience it became considerably smoother and less noisier post 1500km. You should also feel a difference in pick up after that point.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 19:41   #670
BHPian
 
KTM_aravind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I too own Nano AMT bought in July 2015. The engine noise is definitely high when new but in my experience it became considerably smoother and less noisier post 1500km. You should also feel a difference in pick up after that point.
Any Mileage improvement after 1000+Kms? Also is it possible to use hushmat or dynamat to cut down some of the sound inside the cabin? What about the doors? is is possible to use hushmat inside the door panels?
KTM_aravind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2015, 20:29   #671
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 329
Thanked: 589 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
Any Mileage improvement after 1000+Kms? Also is it possible to use hushmat or dynamat to cut down some of the sound inside the cabin? What about the doors? is is possible to use hushmat inside the door panels?
Mileage will also see improvement post 1000km by 1-1.5kmpl. The noise when in traffic is not a major bother because with the windows rolled up and the fan blower running its like any other small car. The engine sounds loud early morning or in basement car parks where the surroundings are quite. Try test driving in various situations and judge for yourself if its acceptable to you. More than the doors the sound in the cabin comes from the AC compressor and the additional fan in the rear of the engine which is specific to the AMT model.
damodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 10:01   #672
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London
Posts: 398
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

I am having a torrid time in Bangalore Traffic with my Manual Car. The average time I am spending every day in traffic is 3 hours now. Since I was a avid biker in my college days, many injuries I picked up to my shoulders/knees is giving me a tough time now. I am seriously considering Nano AMT XTA next year March. I have couple of questions since there is no Long Term Ownership Review.

1. What is the real life Mileage in Bangalore Traffic Situation (3 hours B2B to cover 30 KMS)
2. I have heard of brake issue and also read in this thread. Has it improved over a period or have Owners got used to it. Since Wifey also will be driving.
3. Has anyone taken it to Moderate Ghat section (like Madikeri). I don't intend to but may be forced if my other car is not available

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 07:31   #673
BHPian
 
KTM_aravind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I am having a torrid time in Bangalore Traffic with my Manual Car. The average time I am spending every day in traffic is 3 hours now. Since I was a avid biker in my college days, many injuries I picked up to my shoulders/knees is giving me a tough time now. I am seriously considering Nano AMT XTA next year March. I have couple of questions since there is no Long Term Ownership Review.

1. What is the real life Mileage in Bangalore Traffic Situation (3 hours B2B to cover 30 KMS)
2. I have heard of brake issue and also read in this thread. Has it improved over a period or have Owners got used to it. Since Wifey also will be driving.
3. Has anyone taken it to Moderate Ghat section (like Madikeri). I don't intend to but may be forced if my other car is not available

Regards
1. Real mileage as you know depends on your driving style but then the average that most people in moderate traffic get is around 16-17 with AC in an AMT.

2. If you're used to disc brakes, the nano might need some getting used to as it has drum brakes in the front. The brake itself is not an issues per se' but more of getting used to it as it needs a bit more force to get that bite.

3. If you're maintaining good speeds with 2-3 medium people in the car it shouldn't be an issue. But its not a very powerful engine so don't expect great things from the engine on the hill sides. The AMT has a tendency to upshift very early and this turns into a nuisance on the hill side. The Using the AMT in manual mode should solve this problem or perhaps the Sports mode could fit the bill.
KTM_aravind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 07:33   #674
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Texas/Hyderabad
Posts: 72
Thanked: 32 Times
Smile Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Thanks to everyone who have posted their reviews on the Nano AMT and their test drive experiences. It was very informative and useful. I must admit I had quite a few negative perceptions about the Nano before I read these posts. I think the new Nano GenX is a much much improved car than the original Nano. The initial Nano I think was not upto standard I feel.

But this new GenX AMT version is such a better car. The AMT will be a breeze to drive especially in a congested city like Hyderabad. I have decided on buying the nano AMT when I visit Hyderabad for the holidays in July/August. Has been a while since I have driven in India - almost 15 years - especially because I was not comfortable with a manual - but this AMT changes the equation completely !! Cant beat an AMT car with so much space for about Rs.3.5 lakhs OTR.

I read a thread in the teambhp forum in the street experiences section regarding Vandalism. After reading that , irrespective of what color I like - I am planning to get the silver or beige color. Why folks would scratch and vandalize others cars is beyond me.

Has anyone purchased their Nano AMT in Hyderabad ? There are 3 major Tata dealers in Hyderabad - Malik, Concorde & Tejaswi. Does anyone have any experiences with these 3 dealers ? And also, what is the current AMT wait period in Hyderabad ? Thanks.

Last edited by deltheking : 18th December 2015 at 07:37.
deltheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2015, 10:44   #675
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 329
Thanked: 589 Times
Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post

3. If you're maintaining good speeds with 2-3 medium people in the car it shouldn't be an issue. But its not a very powerful engine so don't expect great things from the engine on the hill sides. The AMT has a tendency to upshift very early and this turns into a nuisance on the hill side. The Using the AMT in manual mode should solve this problem or perhaps the Sports mode could fit the bill.
You are right this car needs to be shifted whenever any incline is encountered to ensure that it doesn't up shift midway. Another situation is if in the middle of a steep incline if the car senses that it needs to shift to a lower gear but the driver doesn't lift off then there will be a jolt/thud from the gear box. The accelerator is drive by wire type so it keeps learning the driving pattern on a continuous basis. To overcome the car's lethargy I try pushing the accelerator pedal all the way down for a km or so, then the car starts responding in a much better manner.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others champ27 What Car? 146 17th August 2016 10:02
Maruti: Alto K10 AMT vs Celerio AMT pahwa Hatchbacks 54 5th October 2015 22:49
PICS: Tata begins testing Nano Twist Active AMT Aditya The Indian Car Scene 351 19th May 2015 12:59
Tata Motors to use AMT in commercial vehicles Aditya Commercial Vehicles 33 26th November 2014 17:47
A Nano trip on a Nano budget...in a Tata Nano novice_alto Travelogues 11 28th September 2014 15:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks