Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 22nd February 2016, 14:45   #841
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Multiple cracks have appeared on my Genx XT variant. Attached are the photos. Will be taking my nano tomorrow morning and it will be replaced apart from the replacement which others have done. I have confirmed with the service manager and he said if fog lamps are having cracks, it will be replaced free of cost.

Notice the crack on the edges on this one.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160222_110131307.jpg

Notice the crack on center of the lamp on this one.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160222_110150640.jpg

Its good that TML has noted this fault and is replacing it.
sairamboko is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:14   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Multiple cracks have appeared on my Genx XT variant. Its good that TML has noted this fault and is replacing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Took the Nano to the service center today.
I also noticed that the front fog lamp lens had cracked on my Nano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I guess I'm the first one who noticed the fog lamps cracking.
Looks like the cracks on the fog lamps is a common problem found on the GenX Nanos. Even I have found cracks on the RHS fog lamp. Need to report it and get it replaced.

Also, I have not had any calls for the fog lamp replacements that TML is conducting for some owners as reported here?
Question is, my first service is due around Mar 1st week, should I wait until then and get it replaced or should I call the SA immediately and report it?
X_T_A Rose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:02   #843
BHPian

You can call to check with SA whether is it OK to replace the fog lamps during 1st service or not.
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:07   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Its good that TML has noted this fault and is replacing it.

Did they replace the fog lamp as part of the 'updation' exercise in your case at Concorde Dairy Circle ?
Asking because Prerana at Kudlu Gate certainly did not replace the fog lamp in my case as part of the updating exercise. The SA didn't seem to be aware of such a cracking problem till I pointed it out to him on a few other Nanos parked in the service center.
perty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:08   #845
BHPian

Yet to do it. I will be going to Concorde tomorrow only.
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:06   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_T_A Rose View Post
Question is, my first service is due around Mar 1st week, should I wait until then and get it replaced or should I call the SA immediately and report it?
Best bet is to get it replaced as soon as possible. I got it replaced from Concorde, Silk Board. The service manager Mr. Nandakumar was quite helpful in getting it fixed but since mine was the first case they were naturally suspicious and a little bit of convincing had to be done. I am pretty sure he remembers well my purple XTA with the cracked headlamps and foglamps and faulty fuel tank float from last Dec - Jan! I suggest that you watch the headlamps too as they have a cracking tendency as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
Have the new fog lamps remained 'crack free' so far on your Nano ?
This seems to be a manufacturing defect and unless they have taken some steps to ensure that there is a quality upgrade on the part, even the new ones might end up getting cracked in a few months
The original fog lamps cracked badly with vertical cracks as I have shown in my earlier post. The new ones also showed some signs of very minute cracks in a few months but barely noticeable. And one of the new fog lamps had a reflector fading problem in a few days and that was replaced again. But I stopped using the foglamps after I got it replaced first time. So this is probably the reason why it did not develop into a full fledged crack yet. But yes this shows that even if you replace it cracks could come again. There is no sense in replacing them time and again if they cannot get to the root cause of the cracks and change the vendor or something. I felt it better to avoid the hassle and stop using them.

Last edited by alphahere : 23rd February 2016 at 06:08.
alphahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:18   #847
BHPian

We have a small group in FB for all Bangalore Nano owners. There was a discussion on the recall going on for the fog lamp replacement. As I understand, not all the Nano are getting replacement but some fixation.

Below is the extract from the comments on FB:
Attached Images

T-Bone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:44   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
We have a small group in FB for all Bangalore Nano owners. There was a discussion on the recall going on for the fog lamp replacement. As I understand, not all the Nano are getting replacement but some fixation.

Below is the extract from the comments on FB:
Agree with T Bone here. I just got back from dairy circle, Concorde motors. The fog lamps were replaced and wiring was changed. Its not for all Genx nano. The wiring was changed because it causes some moisture in the lamps which causes the lamps to brittle.

The wiring on both the sides beneath the head lamp have been changed and added again newly.
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160223_124434789.jpg

Its just a maximum 1 hour job. I had to wait from 9am to 1pm for this. I was doing some work near forum and came back at 12:30pm. Was extremely upset to see that things were not moving at all. Escalated it immediately and it was completed by 1pm. 4 members working on my fog lamps after escalating it!
Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_20160223_124715700.jpg
sairamboko is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 15:08   #849
BHPian

Update : Crossed 5000kms on my XT nano last week. Completed 5k in 4months. I never expected it to be a heavy usage car I have used it for my daily commute and highway trips too. Till now there are no major issues, apart from the usual small niggles. Totally loving this car now. Looking forward to burn more kms with this nano.
sairamboko is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 16:18   #850
BHPian

GenX Nano Owners,

I am considering to buy the GenX Nano XTA (automatic) as a second car. I have done two test drives so far. I liked the car except following points:

a. Braking is bit uncertain. By uncertain what I mean is: it appeared not going to stop where I wanted it to stop, however, it did not hit anything ahead of it. In other words, it felt like it won't stop where it should, but finally it somehow manages to do it. I am not sure if I have expressed it properly. But, probably you get the confusion in my mind.

b. The rear seat lacks a bit of thigh support. The thickness of the seat cushion is on lower side. And, at the edge of the seat it's soft and bends quite easily inward. It seemed to me that the metal support underneath is not extended all the way to the edge. Is is how it is supposed to be or, there's an issue?

On the other hand, I did not find much issues in navigating the vehicle though fly-overs. Surely it does roll back a bit from dead stop is brakes are released. But, that's only about 4-6 inches before the creep functionality kicks in and it inches forward. Please note that we were 4 adults seated in the car when I was checking this. I have seen this in my car, but very slightly, almost imperceptible, in the range of < 1 cm may be.

Please note that I am driving a Honda City automatic past 6+ years. My primary reason to buy this are:
a. to use for local errands where I find the City is too much to navigate
b. for my wife, for her running around with the kids for their various classes

The next option will be the Celerio, but the Vxi is around 5.8 or so and that's a cool 2 lacs+ away.

So, what's your opinion? I will be depending a lot on your opinion, guys. So, please.

Regards
Pratim
pratim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 18:32   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
a. Braking is bit uncertain.

b. The rear seat lacks a bit of thigh support. Is is how it is supposed to be or, there's an issue?

On the other hand, I did not find much issues in navigating the vehicle though fly-overs.

Please note that I am driving a Honda City automatic past 6+ years. My primary reason to buy this are:
b. for my wife, for her running around with the kids for their various classes
Hiya Pratim, Even I went through the same dilemma before taking the plunge and getting the Nano XTA in Nov last year.

Coming from a Honda City, I too thought the brakes lacked bite, but having driven around 500Kms+, I have learnt the art of using the brakes on the Nano effectively.. conversely, the other day, I was driving my City and stepped on the brake forgetting I was not driving the Nano and the City screeched to a dead halt and only the seat belts prevented me and wifey from hitting the dash

Agree that the rear seats seem to lack under thigh support, but since most of the time these are occupied by the kids, I have not really been concerned about them.

Fly-overs / reasonably designed Mall ramps are not an issue. In fact, within the first week we had taken the XTA to Devarayanadurga and the hair-pin bends were ok to navigate through. Not great, but didnt let us down as well.

Parking is a breeze with the super light steering, however please look out for the A pillars, they create a blindspot.

All points above are in comparison with a 6 yr manual transmission City which has been relegated to doing highway duties now.

Overall, this is definitely the perfect city car for running errands and for the kids to be ferried to and fro from their various classes / programs etc.
uday.ere is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 21:36   #852
BHPian

@Uday,

I know its premature to ask, but I plan to keep the car for longer times. So, on a long term reliability aspect and on aging aspect how would this fare?

I kind of expect a few small issues to surface here and there. My current car is no exception. But I don't expect something major. Will that be too much to ask for?

-Pratim
pratim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 22:21   #853
BHPian

I wrote this opinion on the Nano whatsapp group and I'll repeat it here.

Out of 10 cars that Tata makes, 2 or 3 are gems, paragons of automotive excellence. 2 or 3 are just OK types. The rest are dogs!

My Nano is a Lexus of its breed! Its that GOOD! Can't be happier!

You will also find people who just hate the Tata they own, and with good reason.

About the suitability of the Nano for your intended duties, I say perfect choice of cars, go get yourself a Nano XTA.

Last edited by john doe : 1st March 2016 at 22:26.
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 00:42   #854
BHPian

Quote:
@Uday,

on a long term reliability aspect and on aging aspect how would this fare?

But I don't expect something major. Will that be too much to ask for?

-Pratim
I dont think I can pass judgement on the long term reliability as its just been a couple of months (in fact, first service still to be done). However, I am confident that Tata has stepped up the game with the GenX. The interiors are much better compared to the earlier Nanos. The build quality, use of parts from higher segment siblings makes me feel confident that they will age well.

Please be warned however, that there are a few niggles reported by members and in most cases, TML has been able to satisfy them with their resolution. (if you have followed this thread, you would know what I am referring to - cracked fog lamps / AMT box failure and replacement / AC issue / faulty fuel gauge issue comes to mind)

But despite all this, I would still go for an XTA for the sheer convenience it brings in at that price point.
uday.ere is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 08:18   #855
BHPian

Quote:
GenX Nano Owners,

I am considering to buy the GenX Nano XTA (automatic) as a second car.

On the other hand, I did not find much issues in navigating the vehicle though fly-overs. Surely it does roll back a bit from dead stop is brakes are released.

My primary reason to buy this are:
b. for my wife, for her running around with the kids for their various classes.
I bought a GenX XTA in July 2015 for using it as an urban runabout, my other car being the TATA Aria.
In any AMT car we have to learn to drive a bit differently compared to other automatic cars which come with torque converters/CVTs. Never depend on the creep function to help you from rolling back on inclines, always use hand brake like we do in manual cars.
Other than these points the car is brilliant to drive in congested urban conditions.
Also don't forget to buy the gold AMC for 3years/30,000km for which i paid rs 5850. Except for the tyres and battery you will not have to worry about anything else for the said period. As Nano comes with a standard 4 year/60000km warranty so no need to pay extra for that at the time of invoice.

Last edited by damodar : 2nd March 2016 at 08:31.
damodar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote