Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 2nd September 2017, 13:03   #1306
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail2sekh View Post
I
So here I am back in a kind of connundrum. I cant show them the issue at the service centre because after an overnight rest the AC is again as good as new and they cannot drive a 100kms to recreate the issue. Also within city drives there is no problem whatsoever. Ideas ?
Change the compressor relay and check. I had exactly same problem in a different car and it was the relay which was acting up.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2017, 19:29   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
It's the thermostat. Ask them to change it. I had this same issue when my nano (now sold) was just 4 months old. Please ask them to test it by taking a 100kms long trip.
As I mentioned in my message they changed the thermostat under warranty. But it was of no use.
mail2sekh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 10:09   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
As I mentioned in my message they changed the thermostat under warranty. But it was of no use.
Escalate it to the service center or any higher ups. The same issue happened to my previously owned genx nano. Thermostat was changed twice and didnt fix. Later they replaced the thermostat again and it was fixed. The senior Service Manager told me there was a new thermostat designed for Genx nano and the technicians were not aware of it. Please escalate it and sit on their top of heads literally to get this fixed.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 08:45   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
I guess I spoke a bit too soon ! Last week I did a Bangalore-Kerala-Bangalore - about 1000kms. Strangely about 100 kms after starting from BLR, the air conditioning stopped cooling I could hear the whir of the fan inside and if I touch the vents it is cold - but no air. Increased the speed to 2 and 3 and I can hear the fan speed up but again no output in any of the vents. If I turn the knob over to hot mode I can feel the vents heat up, but then again no air. Tried switching the direction knob to windshield, leg-only etc to no avail. Had to travel the rest of the way with windows down.
The morning after I reached, I wanted to show it to the service centre. Interestingly it's all fine then, the chiller AC, the fan - all perfect. I had to go for a 40 - 50 km drive.Still no issues. I went to the tata service centre anyway and explained the problem. They kept the car there that day and said normally the thermostat is the problem and changed it under warranty. They could not identify any other issue.
I had a sense of foreboding while starting back and sure enough at about 94 kms it started and before I hit the 100km mark it is just the whirring and no cool air. Again back all the way to BLR with windows down. :-(
So here I am back in a kind of connundrum. I cant show them the issue at the service centre because after an overnight rest the AC is again as good as new and they cannot drive a 100kms to recreate the issue. Also within city drives there is no problem whatsoever. Ideas ?
I had a similar issue in my Indigo. Ask them to check if the vent hose for draining water from the cooling coil is blocked in some way. This can cause icing in the coil which will build up over time and block airflow.

When this issue occurs, turn off the AC switch and turn on the blower to full. If normal airflow resumes after a short while, and the air coming out is still cool, it's probably ice building on the coil. If unchecked this can lead to coil warping or breaking. Happened to me. Costly affair.

Last edited by vivekgk : 12th September 2017 at 08:46.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 16:24   #1310
BHPian

Quote:
... about 100 kms after starting from BLR, the air conditioning stopped cooling I could hear the whir of the fan inside and if I touch the vents it is cold - but no air. Increased the speed to 2 and 3 and I can hear the fan speed up but again no output in any of the vents. If I turn the knob over to hot mode I can feel the vents heat up, but then again no air. Tried switching the direction knob to windshield, leg-only etc to no avail. ..
This surely seems to be ICE formation, which blocks the blower air flow.
While driving for 100kms when you see this less air flow, just switch off the AC button and keep the blower on. If you see air flow increasing after 20mins, then its surely ice formation. Had the same issue in my old Palio and recently sold Figo. Both resulted in coil change :-(
swami.n is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 18:23   #1311
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Tata Nano AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I had a similar issue in my Indigo. Ask them to check if the vent hose for draining water from the cooling coil is blocked in some way. This can cause icing in the coil which will build up over time and block airflow.

When this issue occurs, turn off the AC switch and turn on the blower to full. If normal airflow resumes after a short while, and the air coming out is still cool, it's probably ice building on the coil. If unchecked this can lead to coil warping or breaking. Happened to me. Costly affair.
This looks highly probable. I will get the coils checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
This surely seems to be ICE formation, which blocks the blower air flow.
While driving for 100kms when you see this less air flow, just switch off the AC button and keep the blower on. If you see air flow increasing after 20mins, then its surely ice formation. Had the same issue in my old Palio and recently sold Figo. Both resulted in coil change :-(
Thanks again. So it is not a Nano specific issue then ! I will surely check this in the next 100+ drive.
mail2sekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 18:28   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again. So it is not a Nano specific issue then ! I will surely check this in the next 100+ drive.
No its not a nano specific issue. Also its not a 100+kms drive. If you have a chance to run car for more than an hour or say 2hrs. Run with full AC and see. Usually this happens when you drive with AC moren than 1 or 2hrs.

When I had this issue, during my long drive, every 1.5hrs I'll switch off the AC for 10mins with blower on. Then again when air flow is normal, switch on AC for next couple of hrs till issue occurs again. :-)

Last edited by swami.n : 13th September 2017 at 18:29.
swami.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 15:14   #1313
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Tata Motors stated that it will continue the production of its Tata Nano for some more time. A Tata Motors spokesperson said that the Tata Nano has an emotional connection with the Tata Group.
https://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/ta...044730726.html
balechaparka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 16:15   #1314
Senior - BHPian

The Aria platform has had a spectacular turnaround with the Hexa. Tata must do the same with the Nano platform. Retain the 3.1 metre length, but upgrade the other features, even the body design, and relaunch with a new trendy name. The size is a boon for driving and parking in chaotic Bangalore traffic, as I have experienced in my friends Nano !
mooza is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 20:03   #1315
BHPian

I think that is scheduled to happen. For sure. The last we saw, they have ported the Tiago dashboard into the Nano. With the right placement of the CO sole too! Additionally, I think that was also done to be able to introduce Airbags in the Nano (Government mandated guidelines are set to make airbags compulsory). That new avatar might be christened Pixel. Akin to Hexa/Aria a major refresh in the design can be expected too. If I am judging correctly, the new Nano would be electric. Which makes a LOT of sense. 1. The Nano is primarily a city car and electric vehicles make sense as city cars. 2. The biggest irritant of the Nano was the engine noise. That itself gets sorted with the electric motor.
It's a fabulous piece of engineering which definitely deserves another chance. If TML manage to turn around their image (which they are trying very hard, with Tiago, Tigor, Hexa and Nexon) then maybe late 2019 Pixel shall come in and, for a change might do well.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote