Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2015, 11:35   #691
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storme_on_d_way View Post
I guess it is similar with all XUVs. It's although better when I idle the engine for a minute after turning the ignition on. The coarse noise is there on a cold start only, moreover on my car, it stays max for two minutes or so. 10-15 mins means about 5-6 Kms on an average traffic road.
Ok, may be 10 to 15 min was bit exaggerated. It is there for definitely 5 min and above in my car ( including that idling time though). Definitely it is not there for 5-6 kms, but mostly for the first 1 to 1.5 Kms, which takes about 5 to 10 min to cover. I'll keep a note of the exact time / distance next time.

Hopefully after the first service this might reduce.

On the brakes, it still doesn't give me full confidence, although I seem to be getting more used to it. Sometimes it feels as if ABS kicked in, even at moderately low speed (30 to 40 Kmph), with not so hard braking too. It just moves rather than trying to stop. I was feeling more in control on the brakes these days, until I tried to brake at relatively higher speed in 5th gear yesterday and felt the same, that car will not stop where I wanted it to stop, so had to brake bit harder. I usually keep safe distance for each speed levels, so it has not been a issue so far, but its always in the back of mind, what if its an emergency brake situation. Hoping that this will also get better after 1st service and with some more usage of the car.
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2015, 11:44   #692
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 1,377 Times
Default 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
On the brakes, it still doesn't give me full confidence, although I seem to be getting more used to it.

Nothing would change to brakes due to servicing. Contrary to your findings, my experience is different. I am now loving late braking as much as possible. I guess it's just more getting used to. In first few weeks I had trouble with seating position too. But after a while i got used to and found my sweet position. I was cautious to not let anyone change that seating position. But now I have figures out perfect position and so not worried.

With brakes too, it didn't take long to figure out the car behaviour and i feel I have now control over car as good as a hatchback in traffic. I am sure you would get used to it too by first service.
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 12:40   #693
BHPian
 
S5157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Muvattupuzha, KL
Posts: 281
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

My XUV W10 AWD had completed 4800 KMs in 50 days and was sent for first service on 24 September at TVS Mahindra in Kochi.

The following issues were reported

1. Steering offset by few degrees to right and vehicle was pulling towards left.
2. Infotainment crashes intermittently and Welcome note to be modified.
3. Rattling sound from left passenger door.
4. Loose left fender cladding.
5. Air flow low through middle row vents.

The vehicle was taken for service at 10:00 AM and was ready for wash by 3:00 PM. There was a long queue for washing and RM mentioned that it could take 2-3 hours. I requested to skip washing as the car was not dirty at all.

The total cost was 3600 including 684 for wheel alignment.

The infotainment was on latest sw version so they have re-flashed it and asked me to check. If issue persists they will change the silver box.

I had a 1200 kms trip to Bangalore just after the service and found that steering offset is corrected but vehicle still pulls to the left but not violently as before. Need to visit ASC again. The door ratting still remains. Rest of the issues were sorted. I did not had any infotainment crashes till now.

During my drive back from Bangalore it was raining heavily on Friday midnight and after 10 kms from Hosur there was waterlogging on Highways. I had a scary incident , at around 70 KMPH the car aquaplaned and the scariest thing was water splashes on to the windshield blinding the driver. I somehow managed to keep the car on road and not hitting the median. I read about similar water splashing incident on Scorpio. Has anyone else faced this issue with their XUVs? I was extremely careful after that incident and ensured that i did not cross 60KMPH till the roads were clear near Thoppur.

The overall service experience was good and what I liked most was the car was not dirty after the service even without a wash.

The overall fuel efficiency remains the same as 14KMPL on highways even after service.
S5157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 16:31   #694
BHPian
 
Icarus_Deft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

So after all the research I could manage to do (Read, as many posts I could read) and TD+family comfort test taken, gave a go ahead to my company for purchase of W6 Variant in Volcano Black color. As per update I received today, the billing + dispatch of the vehicle will happen between today and tomorrow and I will be able to have PDI carried out by end of this week, prior to registration process. Can someone direct me to PDI checklist for the car please. Unable to locate in the TBHP forum.

Cant wait to lay my hands on it. My Thunderbird 350 is called Icarus and thus Black Icarus is what it would be Baptised as :-)

Parallely figuring out how to sell off my Amaze, which was awesomely good with us for all the 45000 kms and 27 months its been with us.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
I am sure you would have read about the niggles about XUV. Apart from those small irritants here and there, it is a gem. Am sure you will enjoy driving the beast. All the best.
Icarus_Deft is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 19:23   #695
Senior - BHPian
 
Tanveer_2558's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,291
Thanked: 1,210 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
My XUV W10 AWD had completed 4800 KMs in 50 days and was sent for first service on 24 September at TVS Mahindra in Kochi.

The following issues were reported

1. Steering offset by few degrees to right and vehicle was pulling towards left.
2. Infotainment crashes intermittently and Welcome note to be modified.
3. Rattling sound from left passenger door.
4. Loose left fender cladding.
5. Air flow low through middle row vents.

The vehicle was taken for service at 10:00 AM and was ready for wash by 3:00 PM. There was a long queue for washing and RM mentioned that it could take 2-3 hours. I requested to skip washing as the car was not dirty at all.

The total cost was 3600 including 684 for wheel alignment.

The infotainment was on latest sw version so they have re-flashed it and asked me to check. If issue persists they will change the silver box.

I had a 1200 kms trip to Bangalore just after the service and found that steering offset is corrected but vehicle still pulls to the left but not violently as before. Need to visit ASC again. The door ratting still remains. Rest of the issues were sorted. I did not had any infotainment crashes till now.

During my drive back from Bangalore it was raining heavily on Friday midnight and after 10 kms from Hosur there was waterlogging on Highways. I had a scary incident , at around 70 KMPH the car aquaplaned and the scariest thing was water splashes on to the windshield blinding the driver. I somehow managed to keep the car on road and not hitting the median. I read about similar water splashing incident on Scorpio. Has anyone else faced this issue with their XUVs? I was extremely careful after that incident and ensured that i did not cross 60KMPH till the roads were clear near Thoppur.

The overall service experience was good and what I liked most was the car was not dirty after the service even without a wash.

The overall fuel efficiency remains the same as 14KMPL on highways even after service.
I too have faced all the issues that you have mentioned,

Also, I advice you to drive below 60Kph when its raining, I have faced the water being splashed on the windshield several times, And well guess what? Most of the times i was driving at around 40-50kph, Its because of the oncoming traffic that goes through the water which results in the water being splashed on the other side, I had decided after that to drive in the 2nd lane at around 40-50kph for a safe drive during heavy rains.

Recently an XUV was also in the news which had aquaplaned and toppled, Any car would behave like that i feel if your driving even above 60kph in our Indian road conditions.
Tanveer_2558 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 20:01   #696
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Nomad.. Hyd
Posts: 100
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
During my drive back from Bangalore it was raining heavily on Friday midnight and after 10 kms from Hosur there was waterlogging on Highways. I had a scary incident , at around 70 KMPH the car aquaplaned and the scariest thing was water splashes on to the windshield blinding the driver. I somehow managed to keep the car on road and not hitting the median. I read about similar water splashing incident on Scorpio. Has anyone else faced this issue with their XUVs? I was extremely careful after that incident and ensured that i did not cross 60KMPH till the roads were clear near Thoppur.
.
@S5157 I can understand how you must have felt, while travelling from Bangalore to Hyderabad last month around 20 Aug night it was raining cats and dogs, wiper was on overdrive and I could not even see the markers on the road so much so that even truckers had pulled off the road to wait it out. I had to reach Hyderabad so was driving at around 60 and suddenly it happened out of the blue while passing a stationary truck the windscreen was hit by a wall of water from the road couldn't see a thing for few seconds all I could do was hold the steering straight and pray that the XUV doesn't aquaplane & luckily it didn't. I have advised all my colleagues who own XUV as well as others to be careful during heavy rains on water logged roads and roads with dividers. It really is a scary experience.

Also at stretches where I was at around 70 with little water on road the beast does aquaplane as was evident from loss of steering control. I have learnt my lesson that in spite of the weight the cheetah does tend to aquaplane at speeds. My two cents BE CAREFUL ON WET ROADS
RajeVenu is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 21:46   #697
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

I exactly had the same problem while driving in heavy rain on Bangalore-Mysore highway, about 20 days back. There were some stretches where water had accumulated on road and while passing over those stretch, the water just splashed so high to hit the windscreen. I had never seen this kind of splash in my earlier cars (Zen/Aveo). Although XUV didn't aquaplane, but those splashes were scary. All through that journey, I used to get the thoughts of the XUV that aquaplaned few months back.

I agree with all of you that we need to be extra careful while driving XUV in rainy condition. But the problem with this beast is to control the speed in first place. Sometimes you don't even realize you are cruising at 80 KMph, unless you have a look at the speedometer
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 00:28   #698
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Nomad.. Hyd
Posts: 100
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
I agree with all of you that we need to be extra careful while driving XUV in rainy condition. But the problem with this beast is to control the speed in first place. Sometimes you don't even realize you are cruising at 80 KMph, unless you have a look at the speedometer
+1 Fully agree with you difficult to judge the speed of cheetah without looking at the speedo, but would you believe that there were morons who were overtaking me at speeds >90 with their hazard lights on in Ertiga, Santro & alto, don't know how they had the confidence.
RajeVenu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 10:39   #699
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 323 Times
Exclamation Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
I agree with all of you that we need to be extra careful while driving XUV in rainy condition. But the problem with this beast is to control the speed in first place. Sometimes you don't even realize you are cruising at 80 KMph, unless you have a look at the speedometer
Aquaplaning happens when the wheels loss traction. In my opinion, it should be nothing to do with the vehicle as such, or even specific to XUV. The issue of water splashing on the windscreen is a different issue, which the driver should definitely be cautious. If there is traction loss with new tires, you may need to check the tire rating for wet drive, or the threading in the tires could be the cause for concern
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 11:01   #700
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
but would you believe that there were morons who were overtaking me at speeds >90 with their hazard lights on in Ertiga, Santro & alto, don't know how they had the confidence.
Hmm, probably you could get away too, driving XUV at those speeds in those conditions for 95% of the time. But then, is it worth playing with your life, just to reach the destination may be 10 min early?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Aquaplaning happens when the wheels loss traction. In my opinion, it should be nothing to do with the vehicle as such, or even specific to XUV. The issue of water splashing on the windscreen is a different issue, which the driver should definitely be cautious. If there is traction loss with new tires, you may need to check the tire rating for wet drive, or the threading in the tires could be the cause for concern
Yep, I didn't lose any traction, but had this big splash of water on windshield. There was another post in this thread by S5157, who had aquaplane and splashing of the water. So, I was referring to that post about my experience of splashing water, but without aquaplane.
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 11:27   #701
BHPian
 
sbala's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 380
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
There were some stretches where water had accumulated on road and while passing over those stretch, the water just splashed so high to hit the windscreen. I had never seen this kind of splash in my earlier cars (Zen/Aveo). Although XUV didn't aquaplane, but those splashes were scary. All through that journey, I used to get the thoughts of the XUV that aquaplaned few months back.
I am confused here. Are you saying that water splash on the windshield happened because you drove the vehicle on the water accumulated road OR Does the water got splashed due to the other side vehicle going through the water accumulated road?
sbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 11:42   #702
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 209
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Bala - it happened due to my own XUV going on pool of water. That really surprised me. It is definitely not due to any other vehicle splashing water on my car. It may be due to the wheelbase + weight of the car that it splashes water so high to flood my own windshield. It was in the night, raining heavily and on a highway with low visibility due to rain. I couldn't even make out the amount of water on the road and it happened all of a sudden. Luckily there was no aquaplane and the car was planted on the road.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 13:54   #703
BHPian
 
S5157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Muvattupuzha, KL
Posts: 281
Thanked: 134 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
I am confused here. Are you saying that water splash on the windshield happened because you drove the vehicle on the water accumulated road OR Does the water got splashed due to the other side vehicle going through the water accumulated road?

The water splash happens from our own vehicle when it goes through accumulated water. If the waterlogged area in longer then you will be blinded till you cross the waterlogged area. There was similar issue on earlier Scorpio and if I am correct Mahindra changes the front bumper design to reduce it.

I have also spoken to few other owners and all of them had aquaplaning issue with XUVs irrespective of tires they had. Most of them had Duelers where as my car had Appollo Aptera.

I am going to highlight this to Mahindra and see what they have to say. It has become a scary affair to drive through rains in Kerala as most of the roads in kerala has waterlogging during monsoons. I never had this fear in mind with my earlier cars.

So my advice to all owners is take it slow and easy and be extra cautious if you drive an XUV when it rains and I do not want any others to go through the situation I faced last week.
S5157 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 15:59   #704
Senior - BHPian
 
mpksuhas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: KA03/KL11
Posts: 2,456
Thanked: 2,630 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

^^ Second what S5157 mentioned above.
Water getting splashed on windscreen is not from other vehicles, atleast in my case. Driving through rain on Mysore - Bangalore road on 7-Sep had couple of scary incidents.

First, I hit a water puddle on the right lane of 4 lane road at around 60- 70 KMPH. Was completely blinded for couple of seconds, I had never before faced this issue in XUV and was taken by surprise. Since XUV has protruding wheel arch, I was hoping this would not have happened.

Along with blinding felt the vehicle hydroplaning, faced the same in another puddle also later. However, I guess that was expected since the water was bit deep and saw few vehicles loosing control. One unlucky Ciaz ended up on divider also.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 18:32   #705
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Nomad.. Hyd
Posts: 100
Thanked: 52 Times
Default Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

I think aquaplaning/hydroplaning would be more dependent on tread pattern of tyres, amount of water on road, weight of the vehicle and speed and all these factors has to converge for that to happen. But what we are discussing is primarily the way in which water is thrown outwards when going over a puddle and it is a function of tread pattern and wheel arch design, I also drive an Indica and Dzire but didn't notice this splashing of water on the wind screen as noticed in the cheetah.

Moreover since I had just taken delivery of the vehicle and drove through the rain most of the time while enroute to Hyderabad on the maiden voyage, I noticed that there are three distinct lines which have appeared on all four wheel arches corresponding to the tread pattern on tyres( the ones running all along the circumference) probably due to the throw of water by the tread pattern. My beast has stock Apollo tyres. Sorry can't post pics as am away on leave and beast is garaged for a month.
RajeVenu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift : Official Review S2!!! Official New Car Reviews 292 3rd December 2016 23:56
My 2015 Mahindra XUV500 - Pegasus comes home Diesel9999 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 49 28th December 2015 21:48
Mahindra XUV500 with 6-Speed Automatic in 2015. EDIT : Now launched at Rs. 15.53 lakh sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 201 22nd December 2015 13:45
Mahindra XUV500 facelift revealed in spy shots EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 11.21 lakh uday.ere The Indian Car Scene 481 15th June 2015 17:04
Received a copy of the Coffee Table book on the Mahindra XUV500 from Mahindra Corp. shankar.balan Shifting gears 3 2nd April 2012 16:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks