Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 17:27   #331
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Enjoying Mumbai rains inside the beast with a view from the top of the road!

Could I ask for more, YES!!!

I am really struggling with - less than decent music output from the speakers.

Storme got HARMAN system, not sure about the speakers. The music output quality on this system/speakers is poor compared to other stock speakers iv seen on Swift and Optra (mind you I am talking about 3-6 year old cars)

Feeling a little disappointed just on this point, as music is one thing that relieves you in traffic hours and when you end up spending so much you expect such things to be right.

I am planning to get the speakers checked and probably have infinity speakers put on them. If anyone has headway on this with the new harman system on Storme refresh, now is the right time please
siki1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 08:57   #332
ISO
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune/Bahrain
Posts: 126
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki1010 View Post
Enjoying Mumbai rains inside the beast with a view from the top of the road!

Could I ask for more, YES!!!

I am really struggling with - less than decent music output from the speakers.

Storme got HARMAN system, not sure about the speakers. The music output quality on this system/speakers is poor compared to other stock speakers iv seen on Swift and Optra (mind you I am talking about 3-6 year old cars)

Feeling a little disappointed just on this point, as music is one thing that relieves you in traffic hours and when you end up spending so much you expect such things to be right.

I am planning to get the speakers checked and probably have infinity speakers put on them. If anyone has headway on this with the new harman system on Storme refresh, now is the right time please
Im audio an enthusiastic. I found the best audio in storme 2015. There is clear separation of mid range from bass which is very important , will find only in top end music systems.

Perhaps you are talking about lack of bass. Yes it is since there is no subwoofer.
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 10:23   #333
BHPian
 
iabhishekkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 70
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Im audio an enthusiastic. I found the best audio in storme 2015. There is clear separation of mid range from bass which is very important , will find only in top end music systems.

Perhaps you are talking about lack of bass. Yes it is since there is no subwoofer.
I agree with you ISO. I have heard the sound quality of the Harman system in the new Storme and also feel that it does have pretty good range but not the deep bass which one would not get without a subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki1010 View Post
Enjoying Mumbai rains inside the beast with a view from the top of the road!

Could I ask for more, YES!!!

I am really struggling with - less than decent music output from the speakers.

Storme got HARMAN system, not sure about the speakers. The music output quality on this system/speakers is poor compared to other stock speakers iv seen on Swift and Optra (mind you I am talking about 3-6 year old cars)

Feeling a little disappointed just on this point, as music is one thing that relieves you in traffic hours and when you end up spending so much you expect such things to be right.

I am planning to get the speakers checked and probably have infinity speakers put on them. If anyone has headway on this with the new harman system on Storme refresh, now is the right time please
I have a 2014 Storme which came without a music system on offer and I got the Tata branded touch screen (manufactured by Blaupunkt) with the "RockfordFosgate Prime R1675-S" speakers (4 in nos.) and also got the Sony Explod amplifier along with the JBL Subwoofer.

Got it adjusted to suit my needs.

I have heard that the Infinity series is also pretty good. But I would suggest you to try getting a subwoofer tagged along with the current speakers and then check for the bass levels and other ranges. You might just like it that way.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Cheers!
iabhishekkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 08:16   #334
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Im audio an enthusiastic. I found the best audio in storme 2015. There is clear separation of mid range from bass which is very important , will find only in top end music systems.

Perhaps you are talking about lack of bass. Yes it is since there is no subwoofer.
Have you checked what speakers is the Storme refresh running on? No matter how good the system output may be, I feel the speakers are very basic. maybe that's just my higher benchmark in quality and yes, lack of bass is very evident. But that goes hand in hand with the quality of speakers right.

Anyways, in due time I shall be replacing them with Infinity speakers. Just going through the mourning period so that I actually enjoy when I put the better ones.
siki1010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 09:34   #335
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki1010 View Post
Have you checked what speakers is the Storme refresh running on? No matter how good the system output may be, I feel the speakers are very basic. maybe that's just my higher benchmark in quality and yes, lack of bass is very evident. But that goes hand in hand with the quality of speakers right.

Anyways, in due time I shall be replacing them with Infinity speakers. Just going through the mourning period so that I actually enjoy when I put the better ones.
Speakers don't produce bass. They just produce treble and some mid range. For bass, you need an active subwoofer. A subwoofer will separate and amplify bass because that's what its built for. Trying to put in an amplifier alone without a woofer may drive up the bass a bit but at the expense of other ranges of sound.

And don't judge the quality of a speaker by its ability to produce bass, a speaker is judged of high quality when it can clearly output tone separation between highs, mids and lows, with each tone being heard clearly without distortion.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 31st August 2015 at 09:36.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 10:14   #336
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Speakers don't produce bass. They just produce treble and some mid range. For bass, you need an active subwoofer. A subwoofer will separate and amplify bass because that's what its built for. Trying to put in an amplifier alone without a woofer may drive up the bass a bit but at the expense of other ranges of sound.

And don't judge the quality of a speaker by its ability to produce bass, a speaker is judged of high quality when it can clearly output tone separation between highs, mids and lows, with each tone being heard clearly without distortion.
Thanks for the short description on speakers, though Storme speakers really do fail in quality in my opinion to each his own right! Measurements can be deceiving; high or low figures of certain technical characteristics do not necessarily offer a good representation of how the equipment sounds to each person.

Anyways coming back to my point, if anyone does have an idea of what kind of speakers there are on the Storme it would help me.
siki1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 12:07   #337
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki1010 View Post
Thanks for the short description on speakers, though Storme speakers really do fail in quality in my opinion to each his own right! Measurements can be deceiving; high or low figures of certain technical characteristics do not necessarily offer a good representation of how the equipment sounds to each person.

Anyways coming back to my point, if anyone does have an idea of what kind of speakers there are on the Storme it would help me.
You can check your music system manual... my blaupunkt came as oem but had a manual...with description of the speakers..
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 12:30   #338
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Rustam is now 7 weeks old and the odo reads 1710 Km. All was fine till Friday. On Saturday I took my family for a short drive and itwas the first time the rear Ac was used for a longish period. Water seepage from the rear AC unit was observed by my family. his was on the LHS just behind the Co driver's seat near the B Pillar.

Any other user reporting this issue on the forum? I will get it rectified on my visit ot the Service Station when I take the car there for the first service.

It took us some time to discover this prolem as I am mostly alone in the car. The rear AC has not really been used much except for very short runs.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 31st August 2015 at 12:53.
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 13:50   #339
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Rustam is now 7 weeks old and the odo reads 1710 Km. All was fine till Friday. On Saturday I took my family for a short drive and itwas the first time the rear Ac was used for a longish period. Water seepage from the rear AC unit was observed by my family. his was on the LHS just behind the Co driver's seat near the B Pillar.

Any other user reporting this issue on the forum? I will get it rectified on my visit ot the Service Station when I take the car there for the first service.

It took us some time to discover this prolem as I am mostly alone in the car. The rear AC has not really been used much except for very short runs.
My beast has also clocked 1700 kms in 3 weeks, no problems noticed till now apart from a little croaking noise that comes out of the co-drivers seat belt assembly every time I hit a rough patch. Must be a loose plastic part or something or its just my keen ear to a noiseless environment

I try to drive in a noiseless environment just so that I can listen to her singing to me.

I shall check the rear AC water seepage today and get back now that you have mentioned.
siki1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 14:02   #340
ISO
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune/Bahrain
Posts: 126
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki1010 View Post
Have you checked what speakers is the Storme refresh running on? No matter how good the system output may be, I feel the speakers are very basic. maybe that's just my higher benchmark in quality and yes, lack of bass is very evident. But that goes hand in hand with the quality of speakers right.

Anyways, in due time I shall be replacing them with Infinity speakers. Just going through the mourning period so that I actually enjoy when I put the better ones.
Without good speaker it is impossible for any system to give quality output.

I don't want to go in argument here but how do you define good sound?

For me I look for quality mid tone response i.e. vocals. Safari has very clean, distinct distortionless vocals. They are not muddled by bass frequency (listen audio in XUV5OO and you will realize what I mean).

Safari sound quality is almost equal to Yamaha audio.
ISO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 14:18   #341
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Without good speaker it is impossible for any system to give quality output.

I don't want to go in argument here but how do you define good sound?

For me I look for quality mid tone response i.e. vocals. Safari has very clean, distinct distortionless vocals. They are not muddled by bass frequency (listen audio in XUV5OO and you will realize what I mean).

Safari sound quality is almost equal to Yamaha audio.

ISO, we are all here for the same cause brother, which is to help and support each other in understanding how good really the Storme refresh is so please do not think I will take all your advise negatively. This is healthy horse play and I am accepting all reviews.

If 4 out of 5 Storme people say that the sound output is great then I rest my case.

As to answer your question, I define good sound to be nice and crisp. To be able to distinguish the each instrument being played and also the vocals.
siki1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2015, 15:07   #342
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Rustam is now 7 weeks old and the odo reads 1710 Km. All was fine till Friday. On Saturday I took my family for a short drive and itwas the first time the rear Ac was used for a longish period. Water seepage from the rear AC unit was observed by my family. his was on the LHS just behind the Co driver's seat near the B Pillar.

Any other user reporting this issue on the forum? I will get it rectified on my visit ot the Service Station when I take the car there for the first service.

It took us some time to discover this prolem as I am mostly alone in the car. The rear AC has not really been used much except for very short runs.
I had the exact same problem when my Storme was a month old. But the seepage was in the b pillar behind me. The workshop sorted it by putting in additional insulation on the AC condenser pipe. The reason was in heavy moisture water was condensing outside the cold metal pipe and lead to dripping sounds and seepage.
I believe in the new storme the AC pipe may be rerouted
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 08:47   #343
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
You can check your music system manual... my blaupunkt came as oem but had a manual...with description of the speakers..

So it says 4*20W (4 ohms), can anyone help me out with these spec's or make any sense out of it?
siki1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 11:29   #344
ISO
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune/Bahrain
Posts: 126
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki1010 View Post
So it says 4*20W (4 ohms), can anyone help me out with these spec's or make any sense out of it?
i.e. amplifier output impedance specification.

There are four channels of 4Ohm output impedance.

Ideally you should purchase 4 Ohm speaker (per channel) from the market for this amplifier to get rated output.

Alternately you can also purchase two speakers of 8 Ohm and make them parallel (to make 4Ohm) and connect.

Speaker impedance in Ohm is printed on the speaker.
ISO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2015, 11:42   #345
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by siki1010 View Post
So it says 4*20W (4 ohms), can anyone help me out with these spec's or make any sense out of it?
Let me try with whatever little i know...

Ohms is a unit of resistance. In a car speaker the higher the resistance the lower the current flow and vice versa. For high sound output the resistance must be low, but the car battery delivers only 12-13 volts, unlike a home system so there is little margin to play around with. 4 ohms of resistance means approximately about 48 watts of speaker power, not considering resistance of speaker wires and the head unit itself.
That's why an amplifier is needed, to drive up the current across the same resistance to increase power output, but this can go maximum to the rated speaker output (in your case only 20 watts), else the speaker will crack and distort sounds before destroying the membrane itself.
Ideally you must consult an audio engineer/workshop for best matching the system with your requirements and also the car interiors (the same setup in say a swift will sound very different in a car like the Storme).

I would recommend that you buy an active sub-woofer for your bass requirement, driven by its own amplifier and 2 bigger speakers, which you can house in the boot. So in effect you will have 6 speakers (4 door, 2 rear), one sub-woofer and try and see if you can either replace the front speakers with components or add a pair of tweeters.

I have modified my audio to include the following setup.
touch screen system from Tata (Harman components sold as a part of the explorer edition)
2 component speakers in the forward door (speaker plus tweeters)
2 speakers in the rear doors
1 amplifier driving this above setup
2 speakers in the boot
1 woofer in the boot
1 amplifier driving the rear setup.

With all of the above I have an excellent sound system in my car now, can hear the lowest notes to heavy bass all crystal clear and distortion free
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 4390 23rd November 2016 16:37
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks