Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 14:49   #31
BHPian
 
AutoNoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NCR
Posts: 176
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
... the Safari Storme deploys the modern X2 chassis (first seen on the Aria) ...
IIRC, the suspension is carryover from 2012-13 Safari Strome (which was carryover & modified version of Aria), albeit some fine tuning. Link (Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review)

Quote:
... the SUV refused to start. Somehow, I could make her start by holding the key in crank position, shifting to first and then back to neutral...
Tanveer, what is this trick. Please explain the logic behind this trick, may come handy to more Safari owners

Last edited by AutoNoob : 20th June 2015 at 14:56. Reason: added Link to earlier review
AutoNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 16:22   #32
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Lovely to the point and clear review.

Yes the changes should have been more substantial but even in this 2015 form it does make for an appealing vehicle. Would have gone for it if I had not experienced the even better Aria earlier. It has some advantages over the XUV and some disadvantages. But importantly is significantly better in core aspects compared to the Scorpio if one is a family of 5. It needs an aggressive marketing campaign as well.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 17:28   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Panaji
Posts: 27
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

I was under the impression that Tata Motors was in the process of upgrading their quality control. A new vehicle run only 4000 kms suffering from starting problems and key features not working proves that they still have a long way to go.
GLAD73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 17:43   #34
BHPian
 
BipB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mahe
Posts: 75
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Thanks for the crisp review. Well I have a Dec 14 storme and supposed to be the last batch of chasis number series in earlier storme and can add a few points:
1.) Seating position in my 2014 is better than 2012 model and same as 2015 refresh
2.) My car already came with white cabin LEDs so no change in 2015 refresh
3.) Sound behavior is a different league from 2012 model and almost same as 2015 refresh
4.) There seems to be a change in AC pipeline between 2014 and 2015 storme. The new one has that thick aluminum pipe close to firewall above the engine
5.) 2014 has flat power delivery spots in 3rd gear which I found similar in 2015 too plus found a little hint on 2nd gear too on steep inclines
6.) 2015 clutch does not have release bearing anymore making clutch softer beside being self adjusting
7.) 2015 power delivery is much more linear than 2014
Just a few points that I thought I should add
Rajeev
Rajeev, you said all what I was about to write. Took the delivery of my storme ex yesterday and the first words I heard from my wife after a 20km drive is wow..this is not anymore the old safari (on a positive note) we have been using for last five years and the new storme indeed is a big step in every aspect. May be a bit outdated for gizmo lovers, but not at all for a true safari lover.
BipB is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 21:19   #35
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,605
Thanked: 14,876 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Tsk - how is its low-end driveability? I remember the previous version was more of a highway champion.

Also, will Tata continue to sell this avatar alongwith previous avatars like before?
Yes, it is better. As per another post, Tata changed ECU maps a year earlier, so its just the extra horses and the double DIN HU
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Thanks Tanveer for such detailed and helpful review. I took a test drive of new Storme last week and found operating the gear lever a bit uncomfortable due to arm rest as compared to my swift (with after market arm rest). The steering wheel, though looked nice, was hard plastic and felt cheap.
Yes, as i mentioned, shorter people will have a tough time. As for the steering I disagree. For the segment its perfectly fine. Surely not top of the line, but not "cheap"' either

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Dears, just took delivery of my Ex. Was wondering if the music system comes with a remote control or not. Couldn't find one, even the showroom guy seemed clue less! Can some one help me confirm if this new harmon kardon unit comes with remote control or not?
Our review car did not have one. Only on the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Very much disappointed by the quality of the photo in this review.
ISO, we concentrate on photographs when we review a new shape car, like when we reviewed the storme in 2012. For this review there are only minor changes, and the focus was the difference between old and new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Thanks tsk1979 for the nice review. No body better to review this update than a hard core Safari fan.
The update from Tata clearly shows a clear lack of attention from their Top Mgt to the detail, be it on the lack of a navigation unit or a dead pedal or providing the contemporary IRVM which a 15 Lakh SUV ought to have.
Any idea what is the rationale behind the 10K service interval? And I feel many owners in city driving subscribe to the fact that frequent oil changes is always a better bet on Tata Diesel Engines than saving some money on oil.
Oil change interval is now 20,000kms. I think they kept 10,000kms interval for people who do frequent mountain and off road driving as they may prefer a shorter service interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Thanks for the crisp review. Well I have a Dec 14 storme and supposed to be the last batch of chasis number series in earlier storme and can add a few points:
1.) Seating position in my 2014 is better than 2012 model and same as 2015 refresh
2.) My car already came with white cabin LEDs so no change in 2015 refresh
3.) Sound behavior is a different league from 2012 model and almost same as 2015 refresh
4.) There seems to be a change in AC pipeline between 2014 and 2015 storme. The new one has that thick aluminum pipe close to firewall above the engine
5.) 2014 has flat power delivery spots in 3rd gear which I found similar in 2015 too plus found a little hint on 2nd gear too on steep inclines
6.) 2015 clutch does not have release bearing anymore making clutch softer beside being self adjusting
7.) 2015 power delivery is much more linear than 2014
Just a few points that I thought I should add
Rajeev
Thanks Rajeev. So it appears Tata did a lot of updates on the storme, and this one just gets a different grill, different HU and 10 more horses + suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Thank you Tanveer. You review is comprehensive and reassuring. I didn't quite understand why the vehicle wouldn't start and eventually did when you improvised.
The vehicle stopped stating. I would crank, and there were no clicks either. So I decided to press the clutch, shift into first and the shift back into neutral with key held in crank position. And voila engine cranked. This is the only way the vehicle would start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddenis View Post
Hi Tanveer. Thank you for a reassuring review. I am getting my 4X4 by the coming weekend and it was reassuring to read your review as I had based my purchase decision on TD of 2014 Storme (2WD). I was quite impressed by the ride, comfort and drivability even then and I am happy that things have only become better.

2 set of Questions for you.

First - I plan to travel to Leh in September time frame through Kaza. Looking at the rocky terrain that i will be travelling, do you think I need to get the fuel tank gaurd? and if so where can I get it. My SA at concorde motor showed his ignorance of the availability of such protection plate/gaurd

Second: What tyres were there on your review vehicle? Any views on stock tyre options? My SA says that 90% probability of getting Bridgestone tyres as stock but recently they had also got MRF clad stock. Will there be significant dip in performance (noise / grip / ride) if my truck comes with MRF? and if so, what would you recommend as a replacement?

Look to the answers and Yes- 5 stars for the review
No need for that on the Kaza Leh circuit. That is for offroaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Dear Tanveer, other mods,

I'm a little confused about where to continue posting Storme related stuff.

Does this thread now take over from the existing Storme mega one, or does this one only concentrate on 2015+ Stormes, and pre 2015 Storme owners post on the old one?

If so, could you lease shift my rear fog light ear/lug breaking repeat issue post to the old thread please?
2.2 problems and questions thread is the best, as the Storme is also a Safari 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
IIRC, the suspension is carryover from 2012-13 Safari Strome (which was carryover & modified version of Aria), albeit some fine tuning. Link (Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review)
Actually no, there is one difference which I am sure off. The 2015 storme has different coil springs. The model number has changed. I am sure this is the reason for the harsher ride. Personally, I liked the older softer ride better.


Quote:
Tanveer, what is this trick. Please explain the logic behind this trick, may come handy to more Safari owners
Have you seen those programs on TV where they get the dog whisperer, cow whisperer etc., who listens to the animals and understands what they want. Well I am the safari whisperer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAD73 View Post
I was under the impression that Tata Motors was in the process of upgrading their quality control. A new vehicle run only 4000 kms suffering from starting problems and key features not working proves that they still have a long way to go.
Yes, miles to go. No matter how much of a die hard fan of the Safari you are, the quality gremlins are very real. that said, its much better than the horror earlier 2.2s were
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 21:59   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, as i mentioned, shorter people will have a tough time. As for the steering I disagree. For the segment its perfectly fine. Surely not top of the line, but not "cheap"' either
I am sure I will have tough time but I am also sure that I will get used to it. In just 6-7 km test drive I was comfortable with the gear stick.

I test drove new XUV just after I finished with Storme. I was comparing the steering with the XUV's as they both are available at same price point. Though I also liked XUV's leather seats but my liking ends just there. I loved driving Storme and XUV was just not as per heart desires.

I am almost sure that Storme is replacing my swift in a couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The vehicle stopped stating. I would crank, and there were no clicks either. So I decided to press the clutch, shift into first and the shift back into neutral with key held in crank position. And voila engine cranked. This is the only way the vehicle would start.

Have you seen those programs on TV where they get the dog whisperer, cow whisperer etc., who listens to the animals and understands what they want. Well I am the safari whisperer.

Yes, miles to go. No matter how much of a die hard fan of the Safari you are, the quality gremlins are very real. that said, its much better than the horror earlier 2.2s were
Mr. Safari whisperer is sure to come to rescue for the people like me who want Safari in spite of all the horror stories. I will read all your Safari related threads to be prepared for all surprises and related hacks before I am in driver's seat of one of my own.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 00:08   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

So how many of these changes can be included into the 2012-14 model by existing customer's?

Grill and embossed Storme strip should be possible.

Double din unit centre console - probably possible but wiring would not match so some rewiring and loss of pending warranty.

10 bhp extra power should require a hardware component plus ecu update. Authorized centre will likely sell the hardware but not update the ECU.

New suspension springs definitely possible if one wants it.

Black dash etc. Orchis or any car interior guy will it for you for about 10k.

New steering possible but the switches sockets and wiring would not match as also the indicator stalks. This is the most difficult bit maybe.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 07:02   #38
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 779
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Nice review as ever.

The truck defenitely looks like an improvement. Safari used to be my dream machine once. Vitamin M permiting I may well buy one in a couple of years. Its a shame how Tata is unable to sell an iconic car, incidentally the only one in its lineup that does not sport the boring Indica family look
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 08:55   #39
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 513
Thanked: 246 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Dears, just took delivery of my Ex. Was wondering if the music system comes with a remote control or not. Couldn't find one, even the showroom guy seemed clue less! Can some one help me confirm if this new harmon kardon unit comes with remote control or not?
Yes it does come with a big black remote. My test drive VX had it. Here is what I posted on another thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-img_5749.jpg

Last edited by rajismine : 21st June 2015 at 09:01.
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 10:52   #40
BHPian
 
keeprevving's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 113
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Great review with in-depth insights. However, I have question in mind. Why cant' a Safari/Storme have 3rd row seats just like the ones we have on Toyota Innova. It think adding a 3rd row, and a sliding 2nd row can actually bump up sales. It is such a capable product. Makes me sad to see it struggle with sales. Am I missing some thing here? or are engineers at Tata Motors are too lazy to come up with such modifications?
keeprevving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 11:44   #41
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
So how many of these changes can be included into the 2012-14 model by existing customer's?

Grill and embossed Storme strip should be possible.

Double din unit centre console - probably possible but wiring would not match so some rewiring and loss of pending warranty.

10 bhp extra power should require a hardware component plus ecu update. Authorized centre will likely sell the hardware but not update the ECU.

New suspension springs definitely possible if one wants it.

Black dash etc. Orchis or any car interior guy will it for you for about 10k.

New steering possible but the switches sockets and wiring would not match as also the indicator stalks. This is the most difficult bit maybe.
IMO the changes are too little for an existing owner to incorporate into his car.
Double din console: the explorer edition touch screen is far better, classier and the components are the same (harman), so the sound quality is similar. Also the touch screen is capable of hosting a reverse camera, or a dashcam view if required.

10bhp extra power: ECU flash should do it, else putting a piggyback diesel tuning box, one can get 20 - 30 bhp more, without any service center interference.

Harder/firmer suspension: Not sure why one would require it. If the everyday ride is harsher on the new car, most of us will be happier with the plusher ride of the older car.

Black dash: Agreed, any interior guy can do it. I personally feel biege (the 3 shades of beige) look far classier, if they are maintained well (no window down, no pets, no eating in the car and no kids)

Steering mounted controls: Yes, that is a biggie which is missing in the older car.

Whats better in the older car? First and foremost the IRVM has reverse sensors, which are much more intuitive to use, eye on the mirror, the sensor beeps and displays there, no need to move your eye to the central console.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 13:37   #42
BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Trichy
Posts: 413
Thanked: 939 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Nice review!
I own a 2012 DICOR, which I am planning to sell. We drive a lot and I proposed to my dad on buying an Innova or an XUV500. He is dead against buying cars that are low. He says both the cars lack the presence and being seated in them, it doesn't seem as nice as in the safari.

We are used to Tata products, starting from the Tata Estate in 2000, then the Sumo DX in 2002, then Sumo Grande in 2008 and the Dicor in 2012. Well, there are niggles but then one can live with it. I wish Storme sees better numbers than 900s every month.

Is new storme an upgrade over the DICOR? I personally like the 6m turning radius, which new storme has lost. Or is Aria a better car to Storme?

We munch a lot of highway kms and regular rural drives with almost no roads. I do have a Sumo Gold, which breaks backs, and a Chevy Beat which would get its back broken over those roads.
PrasannaDhana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 14:25   #43
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,047
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
All i can say is Tata is successfully killing the Safari brand. Too little too late. Too much time taken between updates. After 2 years all you get is 10 bhp and 8 liters more in the diesel tank. Its taken more than 16 years to give the 2 din music system.
Ground clearance is now lower than the Dicor. 4x4 transfercase unprotected.
They should have added atleast 15 addditional new features to support this update which is utterly half hearted.
Tata really think the potential Safari customer who usually buys a Safari with heart over mind, is really stupid !!
Well NO. Look at your sales chart and you will know who is

Hey, Tata Motors have improved the Safari Storme. However , the lower variants lack features like airbags, which in modern day and age is a strict no-no. The Improved Storme comes at the same price as the earlier Storme. The Ex showroom price of 14.34 lakhs compares well with the products like the Duster ( AWD top end is just a couple of lakhs lower) or the Innova which is no where in the same league. It may not be as loaded as the Scorpio S10 or the XUV, but no other manufacturer comes close to it in VFM sweepstakes. A 2WD VX goes for 13.02 Lakh EX showroom . This price is only a shade higher than what Verna or City top end variants cost.

If Tata can maintain consistent quality, this vehicle should do well. The biggest battle Tata Motors faces is the strongly held negative perception held by alarge segment of car buyers who refuse to even enter the TML Showrooms.

Tanveer,
A comprehensive review . As somebody who has owned and lived with a Safari, what would be your choice if you had to go in for an SUV and had a budget of 15 lakhs. In one of the threads (years ago when you bought the White Elephant), you had compared the "then" Safari with the "then" Scorpio and bought the Safari. With many more options in the market now, what would your choice be?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st June 2015 at 14:54. Reason: merging posts. Please use the edit or multi-quote option if posting within 30mins on same thread.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 15:22   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
jaysmokesleaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mostly Mumbai
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 807 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Hey, Tata Motors have improved the Safari Storme. However , the lower variants lack features like airbags, which in modern day and age is a strict no-no. The Improved Storme comes at the same price as the earlier Storme. The Ex showroom price of 14.34 lakhs compares well with the products like the Duster ( AWD top end is just a couple of lakhs lower) or the Innova which is no where in the same league. It may not be as loaded as the Scorpio S10 or the XUV, but no other manufacturer comes close to it in VFM sweepstakes. A 2WD VX goes for 13.02 Lakh EX showroom . This price is only a shade higher than what Verna or City top end variants cost.

If Tata can maintain consistent quality, this vehicle should do well. The biggest battle Tata Motors faces is the strongly held negative perception held by alarge segment of car buyers who refuse to even enter the TML Showrooms.
IMPROVED Storme. That sounds funny indeed. I own a 2.2 Dicor, same as Tanveer. In fact i think they have taken the Storme out of the Safari. That surely is my personal perspective.
If the test vehicle stalls during a review, how can I as a customer believe there is improvement.
Who is responsible for the negative perception that exists today. Its Tata.
Yes, I agree they have made some improvements. I love the way it drives, lovely new interiors. Ive posted my drive review earlier. Im looking to replace my Safari but there is no replacement for the Safari 2.2 Dicor 4x4. In the same price range, not yet.
Ive test driven everything worthy of being called an suv south of 20 lakhs and when i look at the Storme IMPROVEMENTS im not sure if i should put down 17 lakhs for a new Storme over what i have now.
And then there is news of a 160 bhp 400 nm AT Storme coming with many more additions and improvements. So If a customer buys this one and then sees 15 more IMPROVEMENTS in the next 6 months in a new Storme, I as an existing customer will surely be letdown with this piecemeal treatment. And what bout the reliability about the upcoming AT now that the review vehicle stalled. So gremlins arent gone yet though this Storme does present a very compelling for all those prospective customers who dont push it to its limits.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Tanveer,
A comprehensive review . As somebody who has owned and lived with a Safari, what would be your choice if you had to go in for an SUV and had a budget of 15 lakhs. In one of the threads (years ago when you bought the White Elephant), you had compared the "then" Safari with the "then" Scorpio and bought the Safari. With many more options in the market now, what would your choice be?
Can you please list the many more suv options available in the same price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Allow me to bring us to the most pertinent question & thats "Safety". Other than Safety kit like ABS, Airbags, what has been done to the vehicles basic safety, structural rigidity, crash worthiness, etc? Is this Safari a safer vehicle than the previous Safaris, has this vehicle been crash tested ? If yes do we have EuroNCAP ratings or equivalent. Basically how is the crash absorption in this vehicles.

If still Tata has skimped on basic safety aspect, then this update is a no-go. While if they have done enough to make it a safer vehicle for you & your family specially in the wake of competition offering safer designs in the shape of Dusty, XUV, etc, then in that case, Tata has done their homework.
Does xuv, Duster and other suvs have NCAP ratings. As far as I know the Scorpio didnt fare well at the NCAP. Please correct me if im wrong.

Having driven all these contraptions including the Safari I can vouch that the Safari does feel well built enough to survive a crash. Please post NCAP tests if you have links. I would love to be enlightened.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2015 at 14:41. Reason: Lets not call other cars silly names. Their owners might get offended. Better to keep it objective (without name calling)
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 17:56   #45
AAD
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Thanks for a great review on the 2015 Storme facelift. A question for Tanveer. For the 2015 Storme facelift, Can you confirm if the peak torque is available between 1700-2700 rpm vis a vis the updated 2014 Aria where it is much wider at 1500-3000 rpm? If, yes, can you think of any reason why the differentiation in models that between them sell about 600 units a month!!!

Also is the final drive axle ratio for storme 4.10:1?
AAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 4390 23rd November 2016 16:37
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks