Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 16:44   #511
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post

I think, vehicle width should not include those protrusions, creates a skewed perspective. Or if they really want to give that info, so that people can keep clearances in mind, they should explicitly mention the actual vehicle width also.
I don't think people judge a vehicle by reading those dimensions. I can guarantee that majority can't even comprehend these figures in mm leave alone forming a perspective.
sourabhzen is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 17:50   #512
BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Trichy
Posts: 413
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Are you guys sure that additional width is due to inclusion of side steps? If I am not wrong, it must be the orvms included and not the side steps.
PrasannaDhana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 17:51   #513
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,604
Thanked: 14,878 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
No wonder the Safari looks tall and narrow. 1965mm is inflated width because of those side steps! I always thought those steps were an accessory.

I think, vehicle width should not include those protrusions, creates a skewed perspective. Or if they really want to give that info, so that people can keep clearances in mind, they should explicitly mention the actual vehicle width also.

Thanks a lot
No, nothing is inflated. If you go to safari website, they clearly give width with and without side steps.
And these are not an accessory. They are very much a standard fitment, like rear view mirrors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Are you guys sure that additional width is due to inclusion of side steps? If I am not wrong, it must be the orvms included and not the side steps.
You can check out the specifications on safari web page of TML
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 17:55   #514
BHPian
 
PrasannaDhana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Trichy
Posts: 413
Thanked: 950 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

This image doesn't include side steps. Next pic is a screenshot from TML page. 1855mm without side steps.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-c__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved-images_2012_tata_safari_storme.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 25th November 2015 at 18:02.
PrasannaDhana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2015, 21:49   #515
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 68
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

In the new version (safari storme 400) if the increased performance is due to an engine tuning job, is it possible to get that done in the existing version once warranty etc is over?
Libra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 01:19   #516
BHPian
 
mayank0782's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Tampa
Posts: 118
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Will the VX be available only with 400 NM or 320 NM too?

Cheers,
Vikram
I think TATA will keep the VX variant available only in VARICOR 400 tune. A top end version with the engine in lower state of tune will not make much sense.

All in all, two good announcements by our Indian manufacturers this week. (XUV AT and Storme VARICOR 400)
mayank0782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 08:38   #517
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,893
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
In the new version (safari storme 400) if the increased performance is due to an engine tuning job, is it possible to get that done in the existing version once warranty etc is over?
Try a good tuning box. Most are plug and play (doesn't affect warranty). Most give about 400nm of torque and increase bhp to between 150 to 170 bhp (claimed). Best of all, all this at the press of a remote key .
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 10:01   #518
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

concerns
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Try a good tuning box. Most are plug and play (doesn't affect warranty). Most give about 400nm of torque and increase bhp to between 150 to 170 bhp (claimed). Best of all, all this at the press of a remote key .
Have you gone that route already?

Which is the best box available?

Cost?

Hit on fuel mileage?

Would be nice to have more grunt for highway runs.

Can the tyres and the engine/gearbox take the increased performance?

P.S. You could PM me also please in case of speed or warranty concerns.

Last edited by ebonho : 26th November 2015 at 10:04.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 10:12   #519
BHPian
 
dkamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 525
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Hypothetically, would you pay additional 80-100 K for 400NM version if you had a choice?
Considering it is going to be "the" engine and transmission pair on the upcoming Hexa, making it future-proof, I would've gone for it, if the choice existed back then.

On a side note, for me, removal of heated ORVM's from the EX variant was another factor in favour of VX. If the EX refresh still had it, it would've been a dicey situation again

Hi Raj, by chance, do you have any info if the gear ratios have been revised for all gears, or is it a 6th gear that's added to the transmission? If it's the same ratios on the 5 forward gears, fuel efficiency might still remain the same in pure city drive conditions.
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 10:43   #520
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Safari Storme with Varicor 400 engine launched at a price of 13.52 lakhs! Almost 40k over the previous Storme. Available only in VX trim.
DriveOnceMore is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 10:58   #521
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Considering it is going to be "the" engine and transmission pair on the upcoming Hexa, making it future-proof, I would've gone for it, if the choice existed back then.

On a side note, for me, removal of heated ORVM's from the EX variant was another factor in favour of VX. If the EX refresh still had it, it would've been a dicey situation again

Hi Raj, by chance, do you have any info if the gear ratios have been revised for all gears, or is it a 6th gear that's added to the transmission? If it's the same ratios on the 5 forward gears, fuel efficiency might still remain the same in pure city drive conditions.
Some sources tell me that the 6-speed box had some initial shifting gremlins.

The description by a member here, of a "rubbery" feel, is also what I've heard.

Yes, the 400 Nm 156 Bhp engine I would have swallowed whole and clutched closely and lovingly to me chest in a jealous embrace were I to have been given the choice in 2013.

Man, just look at how this Indian giant has taken the fight to the accepted Gold Standard of SUVs in India.

And the price they demand for it.

Jai Hind. Jai Maharashtra. Jai Tata.
ebonho is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 11:16   #522
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,390
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Safari Storme with Varicor 400 engine launched at a price of 13.52 lakhs! Almost 40k over the previous Storme. Available only in VX trim.
That's more than expectation. What is the source of this information please?
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 11:24   #523
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 160
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
That's more than expectation. What is the source of this information please?
Just Google it. Many sites have posted this news today.
DriveOnceMore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 11:56   #524
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,587
Thanked: 798 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
What could be approx resale value for my 2013 August Storme Lx - run around 37000kms and in pristine condition with Gold AMC and Extended warranty. All service records available. New Storme Lx comes to around 12.4 lakhs on road before discounts including AMC and EA ( incidentally Lx is no longer shown in the offical website ). I presume a good bargainer can get it for around 11.9lakhs.

Is it fair to expect around 9.5lakhs ?

I might have to go for an overseas assignment and in which case will have to say good bye to the beast
Guys
I have to now let go the Storme. The beast has done 40700kms so far with absolutely no breakdowns or issues. I have put up ads in various websites. In case any of you know someone who is interested, you can PM me. Thanks.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 17:06   #525
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,059
Thanked: 2,189 Times
Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Have a question about Storme's width. Its mentioned 1965 mm everywhere on the internet. Does this number include wing mirrors as well?

If not, then according to numbers Storme is as tall/narrow as a Fortuner, in fact, slightly better W/H than Fortuner.
Storme (WxH) = 1965 x 1922
Fortuner (WxH) = 1840 x 1850

What is the front and rear track of Storme, compared to Fortuner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
No wonder the Safari looks tall and narrow. 1965mm is inflated width because of those side steps! I always thought those steps were an accessory.

I think, vehicle width should not include those protrusions, creates a skewed perspective. Or if they really want to give that info, so that people can keep clearances in mind, they should explicitly mention the actual vehicle width also.

Thanks a lot
As mentioned by TSK Width includes Side Steps / Wing Mirrors, which ever is outermost.

Of course both figures are available.

The major issue is Height. The Width is Fine in reality. And that too height that is unused within the vehicle.

Last edited by ACM : 26th November 2015 at 17:10.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 4390 23rd November 2016 16:37
Tata Safari Storme 4x4 : Official Review tsk1979 Official New Car Reviews 198 26th November 2015 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks