Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 20th February 2016, 17:00   #721
BHPian

Default Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Adding article and coverage of the of the Tata Safari Storme TUFF Edition from Indian Autos Blog (link below)

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/02/t...po-2016-216324

Especially like the pic below wherein the tire looks simply awesome and very well fits the wheel well. (Pic courtesy Indian Auto Blog)

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-tatasafaristormetufffrontquarterattheautoexpo2016.jpg  

iabhishekkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 17:22   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post

Any idea when we can expect them to reach dealers or where they might be available already?

Cheers!
Did you enquire about these accessories with Concorde motors? The prices of the kit were displayed next to the Storme Tuff at the Auto Expo.
Attached Images

damodar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 17:33   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Did you enquire about these accessories with Concorde motors? The prices of the kit were displayed next to the Storme Tuff at the Auto Expo.
Thanks a ton Damodar Jee for your prompt response on this. I might not have noticed the price list put up at Auto Expo but I did enquire with SAB Motors of Ghaziabad specifically about the same and they said that while they were not aware of the other accessories but said that they are aware of the alloy wheels but don't know when it would arrive at their dealership.

Now as suggested by you, I would check with Concorde South Ex to check whether they have the same and also would like to check them out to male up my mind.

Thanks once again!

Cheers!
iabhishekkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016, 17:37   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasitlhou View Post
1. Can the 1st generation Storme's clutch be upgraded to the current version's ones? If no, why not?
2. Can the new 63 liters fuel tank fit directly without any modifications on the old Storme?
3. Can we fit the integrated music system in the old Storme? If so, how much will it cost?
Just my thoughts:
1) possibly requires upgrading the gearbox housing, to accomodate the Varicor's larger clutch, and the flywheel might require to be replaced too.
2) might be possible to do, but along with it the float might need an upgrade too, to display the right volume.
3) might be possible since the centre console looks alike.

Unsure if its a worthwhile task, considering the associated components that have changed internally during this upgrade.
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 11:48   #725
BHPian

Default [B]How to park a drawing room amidst a busy Mumbai Bazaar[/B] (or 1700 Kms with my new Safari Storme

How to park a drawing room amidst a busy Mumbai Bazaar (or 1700 Kms with my new Safari Storme VX 400Nm 6 speed)

I recently swapped my Pearl White 2011 Safari EX for a brand new Safari Storme VX 400Nm 6 speed.

Purchase Reasons:
• Spacious, comfortable 5+2 seater that’s great to self-drive and to be chauffeured in. The +2 seats are occasionally required with my extended family, parents and in-laws in town. A full 7-seater (like an Aria) is a big pain to park comfortably in the city and not worth the investment for ‘once-a-quarter’ usage.
• I enjoy the high seating and great visibility and it helps reduce motion sickness for my younger daughter on my annual Goa run.
• Large wheels and good ground clearance since the streets around my office and home Mumbai during the monsoons are worse than those in lower Zambesi . India is still SUV country with our terrible roads, the need to frequently traverse unpaved patches and occasionally 2 feet of water.
• Plus, the unruly traffic parts in front of a ‘Desi SUV’ because it is a given that you are a thug if you are in a Safari, ability to quote Tagore’s Gitanjali and understand Einstein’s Theory of Relativity notwithstanding. Only the most courageous or foolhardy dare cut in front of a white Safari
• While I enjoy international marques, I am more at peace with Desi brands because of my nationalism, their ease of getting serviced everywhere, general robustness and value-for-money. There are some who would argue that a Storme nudging Rs. 16 Lakhs (On road, Mumbai) is not really VFM. To them I say, there are a thousand people buying Toyota Fortuners every month at Rs. 30L (On road, Mumbai). My Storme is bigger inside, has a better ride, it is more powerful, more fuel efficient, has a lower turning radius and has a superb Harman audio system.
• Why the Pearl White colour? Most of my cars have been White (Silver if pushed to a corner). Looks dignified, stays cooler in sunlight, conceals minor scratches, better spotted by other motorists during night-time and poor weather and last but not the least, easier resale.

Alternative considered:
• Did I seriously consider any other car? Yes, of course – the newly launched LandRover Discovery Sport entry level.
• The Disco got rejected as the entry level does not have the +2 seats, is less powerful than the Storme (though I suspect has a much better power to weight ratio) and feels distinctly cramped compared to the cathedral-like interior of the Storme.
• Plus the small matter of the on-road price of Rs. 42 Lakhs (On road, Mumbai), the eye-wateringly expensive maintenance and still ending up with fabric upholstery after blowing away the Ivy league college fund of my daughters! (Come on, the little scamps don’t study. They’ll be lucky to go to Dharwad or Kurnool University, leave alone Harvard or Cornell. Go ahead blow it, dude!)
• Also, during the time I owned a VW Passat I was constantly worrying over the car, stepping out of restaurant meals to check whether the car was OK, getting into fights with bikers who callously hit the outer mirrors and yelling at mall security for slamming the boot shut. With a Safari it is always asking mall security to slam the boot shut harder – it needs a man to shut a Safari’s boot in one go!
• The half-wits in tow trucks cannot tow a Safari away. If at all they dare, it’s a wheel clamp, much preferred when coming out of a night show on a dark lane and going ‘Hey, where’s the car?’

So as my younger brother says, I replaced one white Safari with another, like Donald Duck replacing his blue sailor dress with another!

What I love
I shall concentrate on the upgrades on this vehicle from the previous versions, the 400 Nm engine and the 6 speed gear box.

Having driven the old Safari Dicor over 4 years now, the increase in power and torque is immediately discernable. You don’t have to drive the vehicles back to back for that (though I did that before signing on the dotted line). It is not an unruly shove in the back but a mature and controlled increase. In my opinion, rather than an outright thrill fest, the added mojo contributes to smoothness, drivability and ease of overtaking.
The 6 speed gear box is a notchy, inelegant shifter that takes getting used to. But I’d pick it over a smooth shifting Innova gearbox any day and I explain why. With the addition of the sixth, the gears are much closer and evenly spaced out. The vehicle is serene and the engine ticks over at a whisper over 1500 rpm doing 3 digit speeds. And the 3rd gear. . . I am in love with it. For most city speeds just leave the vehicle in 3rd gear and she behaves like an automatic transmission.

As for the 6th gear, start really early, point your beast towards Goa, get to 6th gear and leave it there until she crosses a few states. Thanks to the 6 speeder, this car which always had serious Continent Crossing ability (I have a friend who drove over to Myanmar in one) has acquired even more long distance creds. She runs quieter and is more fuel efficient. I am quite serious when I say, get me a sponsor and a 3 month leave of absence from my Boss and I’m happy to do a solo Mumbai – Kathmandu – Lhasa – Vladivostok – Calais – London run with this baby!

Among the other changes, the self-adjusting clutch is slick and feather light. The key fob finally makes it worthy of the 21st century (not a big fan of push button start). The new Tata family steering is a Zest look alike with slightly smaller dia falls easily to hand. The texturing and contouring is superb and while I normally like a leather wrap on the steering wheel, I think I will let this be. The steering controls are intuitive and I couldn’t ask for more. I do miss a Cruise Control on the steering but I guess most Indians would not want to use it nor pay for it so, better without!

The new Harman audio system is superb with full-bodied mid-range, punchy bass for an OE system and good sound separation at the higher frequencies. I used to put in a pair of 3 way speakers in separate MDF enclosures at the rear in my old Safari, but I think I won’t tinker much with the OE system. That way there’s no hassle removing the speaker boxes for the ‘US returned’ relatives airport runs.

Jagjit Singh’s ‘Hoshwalon ko khabar kya’ sounds like golden honey pouring out of a wide-mouthed bottle on a sunny, hillside picnic. This weekend the compact, powered sub-woofer from my old Safari will find its way beneath the co-driver’s seat for some more oomph. And then for the sheer passion of Fateh Ali Khan’s ‘Ishq Da Rutba’ or the exhilaration of Toccata & Fugue by Vanessa Mae!

One little design change that has improved my quality of life big time is the relocation of the IR sensor higher up in the dash where it is not fouled by the chauffeur’s hand on the gear shift. So during my weekday office commutes sitting in the rear, I don’t have to contort myself every time I wish to flip the FM channels to avoid ads.

Having learnt the hard way on my Passat, I am not a big fan of touch screen audio systems. There’s something reassuring about physical buttons and muscle memory rather than the dubious luxury of taking my eyes off the road to locate an icon on a washed-out touch screen. Touch screens may be fine for smooth roads, perfect discipline and gray skies. But beware, they are a disaster on a bumpy Mumbai roads, brilliant sunshine in locales where you run the risk of creaming a jaywalking idiot looking the other way speaking on his phone because you had to look away to avoid YoYo Honey on the radio.

Among the other things that are changed from the old Safari to the Storme worth mention are –
• The increased rigidity of the hydroformed chassis that allows for softer damper settings, a boon on the cratered roads of Mumbai.
• The restrained, understated design tweaks, both outside and inside and the LandRoveresque grille. I was over the moon when I asked for floor mats at the accessory shop and he sheepishly said ‘I don’t have RangeRover mats.’ While I love both the Scorpio and the XUV (there are very few cars or dogs that I absolutely abhor), I relate better to the ‘Talk softly and carry a big stick’ Pratap Bose lines.
• The new projector headlamps are way better than the earlier reflectors. So I will not have to spend a few shekels uprating the bulbs to Osram Nightbreakers.
• The stepney has gone underneath of course, further adding to the already stellar visibility
• The roof AC is better integrated and quieter. The incomparable cooling remains.
• The electrically retractable mirrors are a boon and the white cabin lights are more contemporary.

What I don’t
• A few squeaks are audible, the gear shift is bad and feels full of freshly quarried gravel.
• The headlamp switch island console hits my knee if I am not careful at ingress. The angle of the ignition key cylinder is abominable and key insertion is still strictly recommended only for experienced Obstetricians.
• The hand brake needs to be really ratcheted up to the highest position else she slides back on slopes.
• Miss the gorgeous Mercedes S Class like rectangular analog clock on the dashboard and the outside temperature gauge. Planning to retrofit the clock.
• My old Safari had 4 eyelets on the floor in the boot that was perfect for an expandable net to keep the shopping in place. They’ve deleted those too.
• Would have loved to have the provision of a tonneau cover for the boot
• Miss the handy grab points at door corners available on Toyotas. The seat hip level is high and the elderly need them to haul themselves in.

Accessories
• Classique aluminum rear bumper guard (so that I don’t murder every rickshaw-wala that nudges the rear bumper). Front guard not recommended since equipped with airbags
• Powered sub-woofer under co-driver seats, Mapmyindia GPS and floor mats (carried over from previous Safari)
• Magnetic mesh sunshades for long drives, ‘Om Mani Padme Hum’ flags for rear windshield
• Rear camera, Mapmyindia Drivemate OBD GPS Tracker
• I badly want to get myself a Labrador so that it can hang it’s tongue out of the open window but the Missus absolutely forbids me :-(

In summary
I believe that there is a perfect car for all of us out there, and for me that’s a white Storme and I explain why -
When the imperial guards came looking for teenage Akbar to tell him that his father the Emperor Humayun was no more they told him ‘Come, hurry, you are to be crowned the next Emperor of Hindustan’. Akbar retorted ‘But I don’t want to be Emperor. I want to sit and watch the crowds in the bazaars of Agra.’ No one is chasing me for anything that important but I’ve found the teenage Emperor’s past-time most engaging.

The Storme’s interior is easily the size of my Mumbai drawing room and way more comfortable. I park my drawing room wherever I find a spot, turn the air-conditioning a notch lower, play Dave Brubeck and watch the crowds of Mumbaikars going on with their busy lives. Now, if that isn’t serendipity what is?
Ferruccio is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 13:13   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
Query to existing Storme owners (I am a new owner and getting to understand the different noises ).

I get a noise/sound that I can best describe as "Krrrrrrrrr krrrrrrrrr" in the 4th or 5th gears (sometimes in the 3rd gear as well). It comes after accelerating to say 1800-2000 rpm in the 4th/5th gear and then taking the foot off the pedal, as the rpm drops this sound is there and reduces to shorter Krrr krrr once I again accelerate. Is this a normal sound? I have heard a very similar sound in the force traveller mini vans when i have occasionally travelled in them.

Incase this helps: My odo reads 600 kms currently.
Can you try holding the gear stick gently when this sound occurs and then confirm if you still hear it.
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 20:24   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
What I don’t
• A few squeaks are audible, the gear shift is bad and feels full of freshly quarried gravel.
Agreed - very bad.

Will be changing the engine and gear oils shortly.

Quote:
• The headlamp switch island console hits my knee if I am not careful at ingress. The angle of the ignition key cylinder is abominable and key insertion is still strictly recommended only for experienced Obstetricians.
Ignition is very bad - cannot get it into the slot whatsoever.

Quote:
• Classique aluminum rear bumper guard (so that I don’t murder every rickshaw-wala that nudges the rear bumper). Front guard not recommended since equipped with airbags
Where did you get the rear guard - was checking one out for a Fortuner, but I think that the Storme also requires one...

Quote:
• Powered sub-woofer under co-driver seats, Mapmyindia GPS and floor mats (carried over from previous Safari)
• Rear camera, Mapmyindia Drivemate OBD GPS Tracker
Which ones did you get? Interested in rear camera and GPS tracker...

Quote:
• I badly want to get myself a Labrador so that it can hang it’s tongue out of the open window but the Missus absolutely forbids me :-(

Here's ours jumping up in the rear seat and saying he wants a TD of the new vehicle!

Normally he gets to ride in the front seat of the Dicor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Your post is not to be missed by anyone interested in a Safari. Thanks for taking the time to pen it.
+1.
Attached Thumbnails
2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-lablovingthestorme.jpg  

SuperFlyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 12:56   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Which ones did you get? Interested in rear camera and GPS tracker...
+1.
Rear Classique Aluminium guard : Mr. Sunil 8652007722 , Mumbai. Found him on-line as a distributor for Classique. Good service

GPS Tracker MapMyIndia DriveMate A04037 OBD connect from MapMyIndia website, installed but not yet activated
Ferruccio is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 16:38   #729
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: [B]How to park a drawing room amidst a busy Mumbai Bazaar[/B] (or 1700 Kms with my new Safari St

Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhishekkumar View Post
Now as suggested by you, I would check with Concorde South Ex to check whether they have the same and also would like to check them out to male up my mind.
Did you check with Concorde? Those wheels are 17" as against 16" standard wheels.

Quote:
[b]H
Purchase Reasons:
• Plus, the unruly traffic parts in front of a ‘Desi SUV’ because it is a given that you are a thug if you are in a Safari, ability to quote Tagore’s Gitanjali and understand Einstein’s Theory of Relativity notwithstanding. Only the most courageous or foolhardy dare cut in front of a white Safari
• While I enjoy international marques, I am more at peace with Desi brands because of my nationalism, their ease of getting serviced everywhere, general robustness and value-for-money. .
• Why the Pearl White colour? Most of my cars have been White (Silver if pushed to a corner). Looks dignified, stays cooler in sunlight, conceals minor scratches, better spotted by other motorists during night-time and poor weather and last but not the least, easier resale.

What I don’t
• Miss the gorgeous Mercedes S Class like rectangular analog clock on the dashboard and the outside temperature gauge. Planning to retrofit the clock.
Nice review Ferrucio.

My reasons to go for a white Storme are exactly the same as yours. However, I am tiny @ 5"7" and might not be visible while driving and I hope Safari's size will compensate that.

Please let me know the details if you get hold of that analogue clock. That will be the only alteration when and if I get my Storme (hoping to get it in April after the ban is over in NCR).
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 22:54   #730
BHPian

Default Re: [B]How to park a drawing room amidst a busy Mumbai Bazaar[/B] (or 1700 Kms with my new Safari St

Quote:
How to park a drawing room amidst a busy Mumbai Bazaar
Excellent first impressions !

Quote:
....Powered sub-woofer under co-driver seats......,
How exactly you propose to hook up the sub to the head unit? Does the HU has accessible line outs?

Thanks.
drive_factor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 18:07   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post

How exactly you propose to hook up the sub to the head unit? Does the HU has accessible line outs?

Thanks.
Sourabhzen
The Analogue clock is ordered. It is genuine Titan clock and costs Rs. 3,500
The visibility is good so decided against drilling in a rear camera

Part Number: 540754209909 - ANALOG CLOCK M/S TITAN Qty -1

Drive_factor
Was apprehensive whether the accessory guy would dismantle the entire fascia to access the rear of the in-built audio and was pretty sure there wouldn't be accessible HY line-outs.

But when I showed it to the accessory shop, he took out a little cheap looking matchbox sized carton with 'Level adjuster' written on it. Charged me Rs. 150 for the match box and Rs. 500 for installation and 20 minutes later the 3 juvenile delinquents who were labouring on the sub-woofer had the system singing like a canary. No problems observed so far!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ferruccio : 29th March 2016 at 18:12.
Ferruccio is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 21:27   #732
BHPian

Thank you Signore Ferruccio

It seems the "match box" taps into the the speaker output and adjusts it down to Line level to feed the sub. Many sub-woofer have this built in; they take the speaker level directly along with Line level.

Did the chokra boys take out your door panels to access the speaker taps?

I fully agree with you that the Connectnext audio system is exceptionally brilliant. I like the lush midrange and stereo imaging which suits the kind of genre (jazz, qawwali, ghazals, devotional, etc) that I listen to. Its impressive how the stock system fills the large interior with balanced audio.

And BTW from where did you order the analogue clock?

Last edited by drive_factor : 29th March 2016 at 21:28.
drive_factor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 21:57   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajasitlhou View Post
1. Can the 1st generation Storme's clutch be upgraded to the current version's ones? If no, why not?
The clutch system consists of many more components than just the plates & cylinders. It is too expensive and not simple, hence not to be done.

I had asked this question on the SOUL forum quite sometime back, and the answer was negative.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 22:02   #734
ISO
BANNED

Quote:

It seems the "match box" taps into the the speaker output and adjusts it down to Line level to feed the sub. Many sub-woofer have this built in; they take the speaker level directly along with Line level.

Subwoofer amplifier input was tapped directly to the speaker output?

That is very crude way. Because lots of harmonics will distort the output of subwoofer.
ISO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 09:31   #735
BHPian

Quote:

And BTW from where did you order the analogue clock?
No, not the door panels, just the co-driver side door sill moulding where the wiring harness travels to the rear speakers.

Ordered the clock from my dealer Concorde, Prabhadevi, Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Subwoofer amplifier input was tapped directly to the speaker output?

That is very crude way. Because lots of harmonics will distort the output of subwoofer.
I agree. But the way the accessory delinquents open the panels, it is like watching heart surgery performed on my new-born child by untrained quacks.

Between having the centre bezel dismantled, screw driver scratches and broken dog-house clips that will lead to rattles later, I can live with a few off-key harmonics.

8 years working in Lexus at the beginning of my career has left me with permanent OCD when it comes to cars.

Last edited by Ferruccio : 30th March 2016 at 09:33.
Ferruccio is offline   Reply With Quote