Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2016, 06:51   #1606
BHPian
 
Flanker99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 142
Thanked: 133 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

^^
Found the following comment in the Overdrive link pasted in the previoud page:

Bertrand D'souza: Not too bad for a car that I've noticed is hugely popular with lawyers and dentists. It's for those who practice patience

Reminds me of the WagonR's "For the smarter race..." campaign. Sometimes I do wonder why doesn't Honda make any effort to promote the Jazz. Hardly ever saw any ads for it except during the first month of its launch.
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 07:03   #1607
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 777
Thanked: 682 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[url]Surprisingly the diesel Jazz is a full two seconds faster around the track compared to the petrol. Petrol Jazz posted the slowest timings for all cars tested.
Not surprising, Jazz petrol engines is one of the laziest out there, its really only meant for leisure drives around town.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 17:26   #1608
BHPian
 
Vivek-Bharathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Hello Friends,

Completed around 250 kms on my car over 5 days of ownership.

There are some observations for which i would like to get some expert opinion.
  1. There is a slight pedal vibrations coming at some speed when i go over some rough roads.Is this normal. On smooth roads it does not appear.
  2. There is a slight whizzing sound ( like air trying to enter the cabin from outside) when driving at high speed. i checked all the windows were closed and this is from the passenger side A-pillar Window.
  3. The gear box is a notchy and hope it will get better once i clock in some more Kms.

I have not revved the engine past 2500 RPM. Is there any guideline that i need to follow during the run in period?

Experts please suggest.
Vivek-Bharathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 10:07   #1609
mxh
BHPian
 
mxh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 160
Thanked: 119 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
So far I've found the headlights sufficient. The high beam has a pretty distant reach.

I'll get some pics in the evening.

But I feel for lots of highway travel having better headlamps in advance is a safe bet. Osram nightbreakers or Philips Ultra Vision(I guess?) are good options and come in the same wattage as the stock ones I believe.
I too was planning on a headlight upgrade for my City. I wanted one of those higher K headlamps cause they look cool. But then I came to know a couple of things- These headlamps have very short life, and will be dead in like 1-2 years, maybe even less. Also, the whiter beams don't provide as good visibility as the yellow ones. And, I don't drive much at night (usually reach home just before it's completely dark) and never go on long highway trips at night, so I've dropped the idea for now.

Last edited by mxh : 25th May 2016 at 10:09.
mxh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 10:30   #1610
BHPian
 
ashishk29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 169
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I too was planning on a headlight upgrade for my City. I wanted one of those higher K headlamps cause they look cool. But then I came to know a couple of things- These headlamps have very short life, and will be dead in like 1-2 years, maybe even less. Also, the whiter beams don't provide as good visibility as the yellow ones. And, I don't drive much at night (usually reach home just before it's completely dark) and never go on long highway trips at night, so I've dropped the idea for now.
That is true. White lights just look cool but aren't all that great in terms of visibility. And have much shorter life spans as well.

You could switch to some good halogens instead of white lights.
ashishk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 17:02   #1611
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Not surprising, Jazz petrol engines is one of the laziest out there, its really only meant for leisure drives around town.
So untrue my friend. Driven a Brio lately ? It can bring huge grins on your face. The car is so agile and FTD and that is because of the sweet IVTEC. The only shortfall is, with Jazz being a heavier car, the low rpm issue gets accentuated in the very same engine. Take it outside and it will keep up with with the right lane traffic.

Also, look at the competition, Polo is good to drive in city but would yawn on a highway. Hyundai has a better low end grunt but had no guts on open stretches when put in the i20 and Ford 1.2 is super refined but looses its steam higher the rev range and more so in the heavier aspire. The lesser said about Fiat 1.2, the better.

All 1.2s have their own share of highs and lows and the only engine IMO which is more balanced than the rest is K12 from Maruti.

cheers.. Shiv
Shiv_1984 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 17:14   #1612
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 216 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
Hello Friends,

Completed around 250 kms on my car over 5 days of ownership.

There are some observations for which i would like to get some expert opinion.
  1. There is a slight pedal vibrations coming at some speed when i go over some rough roads.Is this normal. On smooth roads it does not appear.
  2. There is a slight whizzing sound ( like air trying to enter the cabin from outside) when driving at high speed. i checked all the windows were closed and this is from the passenger side A-pillar Window.
  3. The gear box is a notchy and hope it will get better once i clock in some more Kms.

I have not revved the engine past 2500 RPM. Is there any guideline that i need to follow during the run in period?

Experts please suggest.
Hey Mods, sorry for back to back posts.. Hope you wont mind merging if required.

Coming to the point on some minor pointers you need to follow with the run-ins.
1. Never ever lag the engine, keep the gear to RPM ratio healthy. For Ex: Dont drive in 4th Gear at 30KMPH. The rpm spinning at 1000 RPM at 4th is no good for the engine.

2. After starting the Car, let the oil work up the engine for few seconds and also the rev counter settle down to ~1000 RPM. This will negate cold engine starts.

3. Don't make rough shifts, be easy and gentle on them. The ECU is still learning and adapting to your driving pattern.

4. Last but important, dont ride on the clutch. Make right up/down shifts at the right time.

These should ensure that the car will thank you everytime after your drive
Shiv_1984 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 12:57   #1613
BHPian
 
ashishk29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 169
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek-Bharathy View Post
  1. There is a slight pedal vibrations coming at some speed when i go over some rough roads.Is this normal. On smooth roads it does not appear.
  2. There is a slight whizzing sound ( like air trying to enter the cabin from outside) when driving at high speed. i checked all the windows were closed and this is from the passenger side A-pillar Window.
  3. The gear box is a notchy and hope it will get better once i clock in some more Kms.
I have not revved the engine past 2500 RPM. Is there any guideline that i need to follow during the run in period?

Experts please suggest.
1. Are they vibrations, or is it more that you can feel the road on the pedal? Because most of the times, I can fairly feel the texture of the road from a slight vibe on the ABC pedals.
2. Get this checked at the service center. They could find if there's any leak and fix it.
3. The gear box is indeed notchy in the beginning. The first oil change could solve it.

The only major guide-line during run-in period is not to drive at constant RPMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Not surprising, Jazz petrol engines is one of the laziest out there, its really only meant for leisure drives around town.
It's not really the engine that's lazy, but the platform that doesn't quite agree to it. As Shiv mentioned above, the same engine feels pretty peppy in the Brio thanks to the much lower kerb weight. Same is the case with Grand i10 and Elite i20. Both share the same engine, but the i10 definitely feels more sprightly than the i20.
ashishk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 18:00   #1614
BHPian
 
Vivek-Bharathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 42 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
1. Are they vibrations, or is it more that you can feel the road on the pedal? Because most of the times, I can fairly feel the texture of the road from a slight vibe on the ABC pedals.
2. Get this checked at the service center. They could find if there's any leak and fix it.
3. The gear box is indeed notchy in the beginning. The first oil change could solve it.

The only major guide-line during run-in period is not to drive at constant RPMs.



It's not really the engine that's lazy, but the platform that doesn't quite agree to it. As Shiv mentioned above, the same engine feels pretty peppy in the Brio thanks to the much lower kerb weight. Same is the case with Grand i10 and Elite i20. Both share the same engine, but the i10 definitely feels more sprightly than the i20.
Yes you are right. They are not actually vibrations but i feel the road on the pedal. But it is only observed only if you keenly observe.

My City driving MID stands at 13.4 now. Really happy with the progress it has made.
Vivek-Bharathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2016, 19:25   #1615
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

As such the engine is OK. Its only climbing slopes from a standstill that its an issue. End up having to half clutch and rev hard to get going. Luckily I havent had to use the learners handbrake technique yet or drive in B2B traffic on a slope.
One it gets moving and you are in normal traffic its fine
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 02:43   #1616
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: KA
Posts: 336
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
As such the engine is OK. Its only climbing slopes from a standstill that its an issue. End up having to half clutch and rev hard to get going. Luckily I havent had to use the learners handbrake technique yet or drive in B2B traffic on a slope.
One it gets moving and you are in normal traffic its fine

Do you really feel only learners use handbrake technique ? I won't agree, it's one of the most widely used technique among all kinds of drivers with whatever experience. It's just one of the ways and has nothing to do with learners specifically
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 19:16   #1617
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 530
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Im not saying that. What I meant is that it is more frequently used by learners till they get used to the car and how to handle the clutch and brake on slopes. Once you gain some experience and get used to they way your car behaves, you can manage without the handbrake. In the Jazz I have had to use the handbrake on slopes whereas in my other cars I do not because there is just not much happening in 1st gear until 2000rpm
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 09:05   #1618
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

I did get a chance to drive the new Jazz(petrol) and compare it with my oldie.
The low end torque in the old one was not great but okay.. There are times when I have felt the pain.
The new one is definitely worse. I think the main change is the gear ratios.
Honda would have made the gears taller in their quest of more mileage.

I would have expected Honda to improve the low end torque in the new Jazz with some ECU tweaks or making slightly shorter gear ratios as this was one of the pain points in an otherwise awesome car. But, they have gone the other way and made it more lethargic. Actually, I checked the Autocar 0-100 timings for the old Jazz and compared with the new. The old one is a full 1.2 secs quicker than the new one. Aren't the new versions of the car supposed to be better and faster?

My old Jazz has crossed 65K KMS and till now, there is not a single issue or niggle or rattle whatsoever. Even the interiors look really nice and I am in no hurry to upgrade. So, when I read some of the niggles or rattles of the new Jazz in this thread, it makes me sad that Honda has indeed gone down on the quality aspect in which it was considered as a benchmark (along with Toyota).

Last edited by adimicra : 29th May 2016 at 09:07.
adimicra is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 03:27   #1619
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 7,417
Thanked: 9,304 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Not surprising, Jazz petrol engines is one of the laziest out there, its really only meant for leisure drives around town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The low end torque in the old one was not great but okay.. There are times when I have felt the pain.
The new one is definitely worse. I think the main change is the gear ratios.
Honda would have made the gears taller in their quest of more mileage.
Thanks for the input guys. Any thoughts on the diesel version?

Earlier when i posted here, I didn't pay much attention to the diesel since it was 2.4 seconds faster than the petrol version on track. However comparing the diesel cars alone, it's a different story.

Jazz diesel along with the Figo diesel are both 100hp hatchbacks. Considering power to weight ratio as well, Jazz has a very healthy 88 bhp /ton compared to 76.14 bhp/ton of the Baleno and 73.6 bhp/ton of the Elite i20 diesel. But it completed the track test a full second behind both these hatchbacks and a full three seconds behind the Figo.

Is the gearing to blame here again?

PS- Don't think there would be a healthy discussion on Jazz anytime soon in the track test thread, as the heated debates on the top two are still going on. Hence asking here.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2016, 09:17   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 3,498
Thanked: 5,206 Times
Default Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Jazz diesel along with the Figo diesel are both 100hp hatchbacks. Considering power to weight ratio as well, Jazz has a very healthy 88 bhp /ton compared to 76.14 bhp/ton of the Baleno and 73.6 bhp/ton of the Elite i20 diesel. But it completed the track test a full second behind both these hatchbacks and a full three seconds behind the Figo.

Is the gearing to blame here again?
I think it's because DTEC doesn't like mid to high revvs and that's paramount for performance on a track. Honda diesel is at its best from idle to mid. Good for the city or for relaxed cruising on the highways.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got Jazz'd! - Tafeta White Honda Jazz JRD Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 25th November 2010 17:14
Honda to raise car prices, and Jazz launch soon. EDIT : Jazz spotted testing on pg.14 GeekSrik The Indian Car Scene 463 9th March 2010 11:17
HONDA JAZZ Specs : Sometimes, we have to pay to be (jazz)y in our country sidindica The Indian Car Scene 507 10th June 2009 15:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks