Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 07:53   #2461
BHPian
 
Machine freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 60
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
MF

Glad you are safe.

The Airbag front impact sensor is located behind the RHS headlamp.
Car hit the bike perpendicularly and most of impact was at the center and left side.
Damage to Driver side apron (RHS) was not enough to activate the impact sensor.
Hence, airbags did not deploy.

The build quality of S cross is the best ever by Maruti Suzuki.
No point comparing it with the beautiful tin can "Ciaz".

Attachment 1446649



Airbag system is not designed to activate in rear impacts, rollovers and sideward collisions.

Can you please quote the source of this information.
Machine freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 08:17   #2462
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,458
Thanked: 3,084 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak View Post
I want to make sure the car is safe and the airbags would work if required and not take a chance on it.
Good to know that you are safe.
Were you secured with seat belts during the accident?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 08:21   #2463
BHPian
 
Machine freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 60
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good to know that you are safe.

Were you secured with seat belts during the accident?

I was. I think that saved me from a broken nose at the least.
Machine freak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 08:34   #2464
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 139
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak View Post
I was over a 100. 3 drunk people on a bike came from the side (without helmets). I braked, but the car must have still hit the bike with some speed.
Thankfully the 3 landed on the side of the road and had a relatively soft landing in the dirt. Escaped with bruises but without broken bones.

It is a 1.3

I was. I think that saved me from serious injury.

The car hit the bike perpendicularly. thus it was not like a pole type of hit or a under truck hit.

Also the airbags should have deployed. i have seen another car with a very similar hit. Please find pictures attached.

You will notice the damage to be much less but the airbags worked.

Infact the damage to the ciaz looks an under run behind a truck. As you will notice that the number plate is still intact.
Hi

My 2 Cent analysis

An Airbag will not inflate if the speed at the time of impact was less than 50 kmph. It is known that airbag inflation at low speed can be fatal (assuming you started braking before the impact.

Also an airbag will not inflate in case the barrier is not rigid- Referred as moose impact test in Europe- easily correlated to the motorbike perpendicular impact. Video Link

The area of impact & the deceleration sensed by the sensor on the impact must be less than the thresh hold limit of activation of airbag.

I assume that you and your fellow traveler had your seat belts on. Without seat belts, airbags will not inflate.

Also if there is no fellow passenger, and the impact is on the passenger side, the driver side airbag will not deploy as the driver side sensor will not detect the impact.

For all I know, there is a huge development activity which goes behind the airbag's fuzzy logic codes (for which you usually pay the "premium"of 50 k bucks for the airbags even if the cost of manufacturing is around 10 k)
It is very easy to deploy airbag, but it is very difficult to evaluate the scenarios where the airbag should not deploy.
As in your case, it is a scenario very close to the moose test, and hence I am not be surprised if the airbags did not deploy.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 10:03   #2465
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,187 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
I assume that you and your fellow traveler had your seat belts on. Without seat belts, airbags will not inflate.

Also if there is no fellow passenger, and the impact is on the passenger side, the driver side airbag will not deploy as the driver side sensor will not detect the impact.

For all I know, there is a huge development activity which goes behind the airbag's fuzzy logic codes (for which you usually pay the "premium"of 50 k bucks for the airbags even if the cost of manufacturing is around 10 k)
It is very easy to deploy airbag, but it is very difficult to evaluate the scenarios where the airbag should not deploy.
As in your case, it is a scenario very close to the moose test, and hence I am not be surprised if the airbags did not deploy.
Not true about the seatbelts. Airbags will deploy in most scenarios if their deployment parameters in terms of impact, are met. Since seatbelts are mandatory in Europe, airbags in most European cars are designed to work best when you are wearing your seatbelt but cars designed for the American market or keeping their safety criteria in mind, are optimized to offer protection in both scenarios whether you wear your seatbelt or not since some states allow you to cruise on the highway without your seatbelt on. I have been in a few crashes in premium cars and airbags have deployed even in the case of some not wearing seatbelts and that is perfectly normal.

Not all cars come with a weight sensor to detect whether or not there is a co-passenger in the seat and whether or not he/she is a fully grown adult. The S-Cross may or may not be equipped with this so you cannot say for certain.

Completely true; in the end, angle of impact, resultant forces etc. in the real world with its limitless possibilities, is hard to capture and define for us to create algorithms where a manufacturer can truly guarantee deployment or non-deployment of the airbags in a car.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 4th December 2015 at 10:04.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 10:30   #2466
BHPian
 
avdhesh15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 440
Thanked: 448 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_91 View Post
Can anybody confirm the updated Maruti loyalty bonus while purchasing scross. I'm getting 85K dealer discount and 40K loyalty bonus for scross 1.3 alpha. That brings on road price to 11.90L in ahmedabad. I have paid 10K booking amount. Tomorrow I'll make rest of the payment and take delivery.
Congrats chintu_91 on the car! Was waiting for your answer and it is confirmed that the whopping discount is also on the 1.3.

I think this is the first instance on this forum of a discount of 1.25lacs on the 1.3 variant!

A favor - can you ask if this is also across variants and not only on the Alpha? Also, can you please share the dealer's name and your RMs coordinates? The dudes in Mumbai (Andheri NEXA) only stuck to 20k loyalty bonus.
avdhesh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 12:07   #2467
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,353
Thanked: 959 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak View Post
Can you please quote the source of this information.
MF.
Its from my hands on experience leading an ASC body shop work for 2 years.
However, I am not into that now.

Your accident picture, made me curious. Checked with my sources at Maruti to find the location of impact sensor.

Hope that clarifies.

Lastly, my suggestion would be : Raise/ Escalate or file a case against Maruti BUT, Do not allow the ASC to play with the airbag system. A factory fitted airbag setup is the best & the safest.

Last edited by kpzen : 4th December 2015 at 12:16.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 12:20   #2468
BHPian
 
NFS2024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 455
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Dear S Cross 1.3 owners - Please provide this input urgently. How is the performance of the car with 5 people onboard and luggage? Has anyone driven this on the highway with this load? Any experiences you can share on the performance of the car in city and highway with this load? Does the engine feel strained/coarse? Can we do good speeds on the highway? Is wind noise prominent or a concern?
NFS2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 12:38   #2469
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 7,764
Thanked: 10,652 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Any experiences you can share on the performance of the car in city and highway with this load?
I can share the experience in city,
Total hours clocked : 2100 +
Excellent handling and stability in the famous Bangalore non existent roads now.
Ease of driving is like a hatch
Average mileage( though not a priority to me) is 20 km/l ( worst) and 24km/l (best)

-ves
- noise of diesel clatter heard in cabin ( maybe inherent being a diesel)
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 12:53   #2470
BHPian
 
Machine freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 60
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
MF.
Its from my hands on experience leading an ASC body shop work for 2 years.
However, I am not into that now.

Your accident picture, made me curious. Checked with my sources at Maruti to find the location of impact sensor.

Hope that clarifies.

Lastly, my suggestion would be : Raise/ Escalate or file a case against Maruti BUT, Do not allow the ASC to play with the airbag system. A factory fitted airbag setup is the best & the safest.

They have been asking for access to that system, but I have been denying it until they share more data.

Sir I respect your experience, but I think the answer might not be as straight for forward as Maruti s engineering team has been looking into my case for days and have yet not given me a reply.

They say they are still looking into the issue of non deployment.
Machine freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 13:03   #2471
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 57
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
I can share the experience in city,
Total hours clocked : 2100 +
Excellent handling and stability in the famous Bangalore non existent roads now.
Ease of driving is like a hatch
Average mileage( though not a priority to me) is 20 km/l ( worst) and 24km/l (best)

-ves
- noise of diesel clatter heard in cabin ( maybe inherent being a diesel)
20 KM/L that's indeed good. I just completed 1000 kms, but simply unable to cross 16 km/l ( Mumbai traffic). Any tips, or should it improve after first service ?
akshatmangal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 13:30   #2472
BHPian
 
sou_3749's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 142 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Dear S Cross 1.3 owners - Please provide this input urgently. How is the performance of the car with 5 people onboard and luggage? Has anyone driven this on the highway with this load? Any experiences you can share on the performance of the car in city and highway with this load? Does the engine feel strained/coarse? Can we do good speeds on the highway? Is wind noise prominent or a concern?
5 people + luggage on highway (ACC on) - 23kmpl + with speed within 100kmph. The more you accelerate, the less will be the mileage. For city driving in bangalore, it's linear with minimal turbo lag. Although it's not strained with heavy load, it will take some time to catch that speed if you are concerned about KMPL. Otherwise keep the RPM above 2000 and the sluggishness will evaporate with some hit on the mileage(read around 15 kmpl). I guess with a car above 1200kgs you will be happy to get 15/20 kmpl in city/highway respectively.

Currently I am getting around 17kmpl in city traffic and never got below 22kmpl on highway even with heavy load. The best I managed on highway was 29.7 kmpl+ for 200 km of sedate driving with speed limiting 90kmpl. After that I lost patience and ended the 360km trip with 27kmpl.

On a whole 1.3 is not performance oriented, but will keep you happy with mileage and comfort.
sou_3749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 14:51   #2473
BHPian
 
sandygordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 457
Thanked: 865 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Dear S Cross 1.3 owners - Please provide this input urgently. How is the performance of the car with 5 people onboard and luggage? Has anyone driven this on the highway with this load? Any experiences you can share on the performance of the car in city and highway with this load? Does the engine feel strained/coarse? Can we do good speeds on the highway? Is wind noise prominent or a concern?
- I have driven with 4 people and luggage in the highway. It is not a scorcher when it comes to acceleration but you will maintain some good speeds with superb mid range acceleration if you keep the engine spinning above 2k RPM. Initial pick up will be a bit slow and if the highways / roads involve ghats and twisties, overtaking at lower revs will be difficult and you will have to carefully plan in advance.

- Engine noise is there. Nothing to come close to my 6.5 morels up front. Engine feels much more strained in the 110 ps Duster at above 100 speeds. Creta and the 1.6 will feel less strained above 100 due to good high end and additional gear

- If you have the moolah, go for the 1.6. But the 1.3 will never disappoint you once you get used to it.

Last edited by sandygordon : 4th December 2015 at 15:16.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 15:06   #2474
BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: BLR, KA, IND
Posts: 649
Thanked: 744 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine freak View Post
I want to make sure the car is safe and the airbags would work if required and not take a chance on it.
Notice that you have an airbag warning light in the instrument cluster?
All airbags systems are checked when you start the car. Else the warning light stays on and you have to drive it to the service center. (or get it to service centre on a flat bed)
Highly unlikely that airbag sensor fails. You may ask the ASS to take out the sensor and check it by brute force. This will damage the sensor and you'll have to pay for a new one.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2015, 15:26   #2475
BHPian
 
d3mon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 429
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

The Airbag front impact sensor is located behind the RHS headlamp.
Car hit the bike perpendicularly and most of impact was at the center and left side.
Damage to Driver side apron (RHS) was not enough to activate the impact sensor.
Hence, airbags did not deploy.
Are you saying that there's only one airbag sensor in the S-cross for frontal impacts, that's located behind one headlamp?
That makes absolutely no sense.

What would happen in a 40% offset crash test on the LHS? That's the standard crash test done by NCAP, as you might know.

If you have just one sensor, it needs to be in the center, otherwise multiple sensors will need to be placed symmetrically to optimize the accident detection process.

Also, it's not like there needs to be a direct contact between the sensor and the crash to trigger it. It's all about the deceleration, which would definitely have been experienced even by that single sensor behind RHS headlamp.
d3mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38) .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 1220 25th July 2015 11:33
Fiat Avventura vs VW Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford EcoSport a4anurag Hatchbacks 14 16th July 2015 10:22
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio devarshi84 What Car? 19 4th December 2014 03:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks