Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2016, 13:44   #3451
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
S Cross DDiS320 in the debut issue of Motorsport India magazine!

Attachment 1481588
maruti esteem used to be a favorite with car racers once upon a time. looks like s cross 1.6 will be a new favorite on race turf.
ashtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 15:28   #3452
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 596
Thanked: 1,124 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 16:02   #3453
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 7,813
Thanked: 10,739 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
Guess its applicable from immediate effect. Not sure though. Distinguished members please clarify.

Team, Do we have any insider info on the launch of Scross Petrol ?
Prices will be applicable to cars shipped out from factory post Feb 29th.

No insider info on the S Cross petrol, but ET Auto had an article stating a May 2016 launch.

Would be the 1.0 L boosterjet or 1.5 L is still a question. Guess it will be the boosterjet considering Maruti Suzuki will launch Baleno RS with the boosterjet.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:51   #3454
BHPian
 
Arindam_Nayek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Prices will be applicable to cars shipped out from factory post Feb 29th.

No insider info on the S Cross petrol, but ET Auto had an article stating a May 2016 launch.

Would be the 1.0 L boosterjet or 1.5 L is still a question. Guess it will be the boosterjet considering Maruti Suzuki will launch Baleno RS with the boosterjet.

Thanks Volkman. Looks like I have to hold my purchase again. Any info on the 1 litre boosterjet I mean did any of our members get a chance to drive it ?

It would have been great if we could plonk the 1.5 I-vtech from the city to the SCross. Dreams can be wild isn't it :-)
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 20:17   #3455
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,350
Thanked: 959 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-kps_5732t.jpg

Submission of a DDIS 320 owner after 3400 kms in 36 days

320 DDIS - 1.6 JTD

Efficient highway mile muncher, made for Highways. Makes long highway trip a cakewalk.
However, do not get fooled by the power/torque figures and enter into 0-100 with a thought of bringing home some trophies. It ain't gonna happen.
It is SLOW in first two gears, from 3rd gear onwards, the monster wakes up.
Beyond 3rd gear, the acceleration is BRUTAL and it starts galloping to all unmentionable speed figures in a hurry.

Comparatively, the 200DDIS feels a lot quicker off the blocks (0~ 80kph range) but beyond that its not fair to compare with 320DDIS.

TURBO LAG
Well, a lot has been already declared about it and I would like to contradict that.
IMO, there is hardly any noticeable lag. Please drive the old Verna CRDi once for a comparison.
It easily cruises @ 70kph in 5th and pulls cleanly beyond that.
Similarly in 6th gear - 80kph @ ~ 1800 RPM to 140kph @ 2500 RPM
In 2nd and 3rd gear, the massive rush of torque gives a vacuum feeling prior to that but even in that vacuum range its climbing up speed at a good rate unlike the old Verna CRDi.
The reason I'm guessing is that there's a torque limiter in the map to minimize chances of clutch damage due to the monstrous torque.

HANDLING
Outstanding for a car of this size and weight.
Speed masking is exceptional but it creates a downside by minimizing the thrill factor. This car needs minimum 400 Nm to have the thrill factor.
Its very difficult to realize the speed unless you check out the speedo.
At high speeds, one needs to aware of this.
On our highways with sudden interruptions, this car in the hands of a novice driver could be trouble.

FUEL EFFICIENCY
Fantastic
Best - 17.86 kmpl
Worst - 16.29 kmpl
Average - 16.89 kmpl

Total kms - 3268
Total Fuel - 241.74 litres
Total Cost - Rs 10,917


NVH

Engine NVH is pretty controlled. Little noisy and harsh in cold start, once we move on, its pretty subtle.
At high speeds, its extremely calm and composed.
Cabin Noise filtration is average, plan to do some damping work soon.

ICE
Panasonic HU works seamlessly.
Bluetooth connectivity is one of the best I have experienced. Noise cancellation for calls works very well.

LIGHTING
Non projector headlamps have good spread and brightness.
No problem observed during night drives.
However, in terms of looks, they are oversized and plain.

SEATING
Wide and supportive seats.
Rear seat head rest are not well designed.

KEYS
Delta version keys with remote is agonizingly big to handle.
Adding a key chain makes things even worse.

DOOR HANDLES
Comfortable and large enough to hold for opening and closing.
But, there is considerable horizontal play (x axis). MS should improve on this as its a million rupee car.

MID

Plethora of options to play around.
Good work by MS to retain most options available globally.

CLUTCH
Long travel and strong spring action. Not ideal for traffic.
It's going to be painful in future.

BRAKING
Exceptionally sharp so far.
Haven't had many instances for sudden braking. (touchwood)
kpzen is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 21:06   #3456
BHPian
 
TorqueManR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Completed 5000 kms so far on my 1.6 Alpha. One word 'AWESOME'. One irritating quality aspect so far is front window glasses. Both front window glasses will not fit tight into the rubber beeding when you completely close it. Try closing them with power window button even when they are completely closed they will react and shake. If you have half opened the windows they will vibrate/rattling sound appear when you go through bad patch of a road. The firm sealing with rubber beading is also a reason why some traffic/air noise creeps in to cabin. (We already know its not premium in NVH levels) Does any of fellow owners experience this niggle with glasses? This has been a premium irritation for me plan to explain this for SA during 2nd service this weekend.

Last edited by TorqueManR : 1st March 2016 at 21:07.
TorqueManR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 21:47   #3457
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueManR View Post
Completed 5000 kms so far on my 1.6 Alpha. One word 'AWESOME'. One irritating quality aspect so far is front window glasses. Both front window glasses will not fit tight into the rubber beeding when you completely close it. Try closing them with power window button even when they are completely closed they will react and shake. If you have half opened the windows they will vibrate/rattling sound appear when you go through bad patch of a road. The firm sealing with rubber beading is also a reason why some traffic/air noise creeps in to cabin. (We already know its not premium in NVH levels) Does any of fellow owners experience this niggle with glasses? This has been a premium irritation for me plan to explain this for SA during 2nd service this weekend.
Yes have this issue in 1.3 Alpha too. Possibly due to anti-pinch features, it hits the edge and then slides back a bit. So it slides up again slightly when button is pressed. Just guessing. Outside noise getting into car is definitely an issue. Instinct says noise is because the glasses are down but the noise dampening is bad.

Haven't noticed any play or rattling when the window is partially open though.
@viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 22:24   #3458
BHPian
 
anycatd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ponda,Goa
Posts: 245
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

I want to know what I can do to purchase S-Cross without attracting additional new taxes. Maybe try to secure one already in the dealers stockyard?
anycatd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 23:39   #3459
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,978
Thanked: 2,863 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
I want to know what I can do to purchase S-Cross without attracting additional new taxes. Maybe try to secure one already in the dealers stockyard?
Check the below thread by GTO, basically this price hike is applicable on factory dispatches from today.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3923052 (Budget 2016 & Indian Cars: All you need to know)

Quote:
Please note that the above cess is ONLY applicable on factory dispatches from today. Thus, if your dealer tries to increase the price of a car that's already on his lot or in transit, tell him to take a hike.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 00:15   #3460
BHPian
 
McLaren Roxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi/Thane/Mum
Posts: 104
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Can any of the Alpha owners comment if the following are present:
1. Puddle lamp
2. Cabin footwell (ambient) lighting
McLaren Roxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 02:36   #3461
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Can any of the Alpha owners comment if the following are present:
1. Puddle lamp
2. Cabin footwell (ambient) lighting
No puddle lamps.

Cabin footwell yes, for front row only.
@viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 06:20   #3462
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 166
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Can any of the Alpha owners comment if the following are present:
1. Puddle lamp
2. Cabin footwell (ambient) lighting
;
Front row cabin footwell lighting is available in my Delta too

girish
girishv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 08:09   #3463
BHPian
 
McLaren Roxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi/Thane/Mum
Posts: 104
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
No puddle lamps.

Cabin footwell yes, for front row only.




Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
;
Front row cabin footwell lighting is available in my Delta too

girish
Thanks guys. Checked out a friend's Baleno yesterday.. Few of the 'cool touches' that I noticed made me wonder.

Puddle lamps (white led) look good imo and the coolest part is that they are mounted on the lower part of the door (surface that meets the door sill) instead of the regular location of under the door mirror.

Guess a good DIY project for those interested, since parts can be sourced from Maruti itself.
McLaren Roxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 08:26   #3464
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 739
Thanked: 764 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Thanks guys. Checked out a friend's Baleno yesterday.. Few of the 'cool touches' that I noticed made me wonder.

Puddle lamps (white led) look good imo and the coolest part is that they are mounted on the lower part of the door (surface that meets the door sill) instead of the regular location of under the door mirror.

Guess a good DIY project for those interested, since parts can be sourced from Maruti itself.
post :- I've done a DIY on my Wagon R for puddle lamps and stop lamps. Its easy and to route the wires, I took help of MASS electrician.
The puddle lamps are very practical and a boon at night. I generally dont use cabin lights during daytime but switch it on after dark keeping it on mid setting so that they light up when doors are opened.


http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3712564 (Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags)

Last edited by BoneCollector : 2nd March 2016 at 08:43.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:02   #3465
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 7,813
Thanked: 10,739 Times
Default Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
:--
The puddle lamps are very practical and a boon at night. I generally dont use cabin lights during daytime but switch it on after dark keeping it on mid setting so that they light up when doors are opened.
---]
Alternately if you get the illuminated sill guard , it serves the purpose as it is very bright
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Maruti S-Cross. (Details released: Page 38) .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 1220 25th July 2015 11:33
Fiat Avventura vs VW Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford EcoSport a4anurag Hatchbacks 14 16th July 2015 10:22
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio devarshi84 What Car? 19 4th December 2014 03:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks